• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki/Valhalla making mobile games after Devil's Third ships

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Courtesy of duckroll:

http://jp.jnocnews.jp/news/show.aspx?id=54369

Itagaki gave an interview to People's Daily Overseas Edition Japan Monthly, and said some pretty funny things. To note, this is a Japanese edition of a China newspaper, so keep in mind that his comments are likely intended to be for readers who have an interest in China-centric news.

When asked about the future of Valhalla Studios, he said that they're currently committed to finishing Devil's Third on WiiU, but after it ships, they'll be developing mobile games. He goes on to talk about mobile gaming culture in China, and how it is a huge market which has a strong social culture. He hopes to tie-in with Chinese companies in future to take full advantage of the growing market there.

Regiruler

Is "switching" accurate though? Developing some mobile titles and switching to mobile development imply two different things, mainly the ability to still develop console games.

kadotsu

Banned
As long as we get a spiritual successor to Dragon Sword at some point in the future I'm OK with this shift.

jelly

At least I got to experience the awesome Ninja Gaiden/Black. So long Itagaki. Won't someone do a remaster.

duckroll

Is "switching" accurate though? Developing some mobile titles and switching to mobile development imply two different things, mainly the ability to still develop console games.

Considering the turbulent history of Valhalla Games' only title so far (the collapse of THQ, the collapse of the South Korean publisher they partnered with after that, the horrible outlook for the WiiU), I'll agree that switching is not the best word. But the general vibe being communicated in this interview is that they are taking the Chinese mobile market very seriously and want to expand into that business. It might not be their only business in future of course, but honestly right now they don't have much at all.

I will patiently await for a spiritual successor of Ninja Gaiden from Itagaki on Kickstarter. It probably will never come, but a man can dream can't he?

LaneDS

Probably a wise move, as I think Devil's Third (at least as we last saw it) has no real shot at doing well sales wise. Following that with another expensive (potentially exclusive) console release just seems really unlikely.

Shiggy

Surprised the game has not been finished yet. Would've thought Nintendo is sitting on just another finished game scheduled to an otherwise empty fall.

Majanew

Banned
No surprise, but it's a shame. I don't play mobile games since they don't appeal to me, so... so long, Itagaki. Good luck.

Could've at least went out with a bang. :(

Corpsepyre

Banned
This seems on the rise in Japan. I won't be surprised if Capcom and Platinum go this route as well, as sad as it is.

I hope he goes out guns blazing with Devil's Third. Sad to see him switch to mobile gaming but I think for the sake of his studio, it might be best to do so.

duckroll

This seems on the rise in Japan. I won't be surprised if Capcom and Platinum go this route as well, as sad as it is.

Capcom is likely to retain roots in traditional platforms for as long as they can because they still have a pretty strong worldwide audience, especially in US and Europe. A lot of their mobile initiatives also failed to perform to expectations, so they're still working aggressively to find a real hit first.

But even in the traditional console space, we're seeing Capcom move very aggressively towards F2P service based business models rather than relying on pure retail.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom is likely to retain roots in traditional platforms for as long as they can because they still have a pretty strong worldwide audience, especially in US and Europe. A lot of their mobile initiatives also failed to perform to expectations, so they're still working aggressively to find a real hit first.

But even in the traditional console space, we're seeing Capcom move very aggressively towards F2P service based business models rather than relying on pure retail.

Beyond that, even for non-f2p titles, they're going pretty digital heavy between the remasters and games like Resident Evil: Revelations 2. They definitely seem interested in scoping project cost down.

Do we really need to repeat how it makes business sense? We all know it does, in a mobile dominated domestic market. It still is a sad time for traditional japanese video games.

Is it to much of a a troll comment to say he has already nailed the graphics for mobile on his current game?

But seriously good luck with that you and about 10 million other devs.

duckroll

Do we really need to repeat how it makes business sense? We all know it does, in a mobile dominated domestic market. It still is a sad time for traditional japanese video games.

Interestingly enough, the interview wasn't about the domestic market! I feel that Itagaki is probably aware that he isn't particularly popular in Japan itself, which is why he spends a lot of time interacting with foreign press and fans. Surely it is no coincidence that he got a US publisher and then a South Korean publisher for Devil's Third before settling with Nintendo. By looking at the China market, and talking about collaborating with Chinese development partners, it seems likely that he's trying to offset the possibility that whatever they might make would not take off in Japan that easily.

Brannon

On an off note, we are never getting Ninja Gaiden Black. Tecmo's page doesn't even list it in any way.

On topic the dream of having Valhalla do AI and combat work for a AAA game is also dead. The console industry will truly lose one of its best.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

#E3 #BelieveInItagaki

I'll be waiting!

mobius-final-fantasy_03oeb.jpg
mobius-final-fantasy_7eq7u.jpg

On an off note, we are never getting Ninja Gaiden Black. Tecmo's page doesn't even list it in any way.

On topic the dream of having Valhalla do AI and combat work for a AAA game is also dead. The console industry will truly lose one of its best.

Itagaki commented a few weeks ago on his Facebook page about wanting to make another "super ninja game" after Devil's Third.

Obviously it doesn't mean shit if he doesn't have the money, but it's on his mind at least ;_;

Top Bottom