Italy Bans Unvaccinated Children From Going to School

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
https://futurism.com/italy-unvaccinated-children-sent-home

No Vaccines, No School
A new law in Italy came into effect this week that makes it compulsory for every child in the country to receive a range of immunizations including measles, polio, chickenpox and mumps.
Parents had up until March 10 to ensure their children were vaccinated — and, according to theBBC, schools are sending kids home if they don’t have proof of vaccinations.
Under Six
Children under six won’t be able to go to nursery and kindergarten without proof of vaccinations. Children between six and 16 are technically allowed to go to school, but their parents will risk a fine of $560 if they remain unvaccinated.
The topic has been hugely contentious in Italy, where residents have been voicing their discontentwith the new law for months as part of a global anti-vaccination push — despite the fact that vaccinations have been proven to be one of the most cost-effective ways to avoid diseases in human history.

The World Health Organization called the antivaccination movement one of the greatest threats to world health in January.
Herd Immunity
In September, around 1,000 Italian children with impaired immune systems were forced to stay at home since they weren’t sure their classmates were vaccinated or not.
The news also comes after YouTube pulled ad placements on a number of anti-vaccination related channels last month.
Research suggests that Italy’s vaccination rates for measles dipped from the World Health Organization recommended 95 percent target down into the mid to low 80s over the last two years. When vaccination rates go up above 95 percent, “herd immunity” kicks in — the spread of disease becomes so unlikely that it protects those who can’t be vaccinated for medical reasons.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's only fair. Homeschooling is perfectly reasonable, and I'm not saying that tongue-in-cheek. If non-vaccination is so important to you, you can hang out with your fellow unvaccinated folks in a local homeschool group and raise your kids.

bucyou

Feb 3, 2018
Good on Italy.

We should do this here in USA.

I thought we do?

"As of July 18, 2018, all 50 states and DC require vaccinations for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis; polio; measles and rubella (49 states and DC also require mumps vaccination); and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccination. 43 states and DC require hepatitis B vaccination (Alabama, Illinois, Maine, Montana, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Texas do not) to enter kindergarten. Some states require Hib, PCV, flu, and Hep A vaccines to enter kindergarten. Connecticut is the only state to require nine vaccinations. Many states require more vaccines as the children age, for example West Virginia requires the meningitis vaccine at the CDC-recommended age (11-12 years old). "
https://vaccines.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=005979

Acerac

May 20, 2007
This is one topic I agree with the Authoritarians on. Leave your kids as unvaccinated as you want, just keep them the Hell away from mine (if I had any).
Since you would logically vaccinate your kids shouldn't they be immune?

Please I'm speaking from a place of ignorance and want to learn. I thought that's what vaccinations are for.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA

Please I'm speaking from a place of ignorance and want to learn. I thought that's what vaccinations are for.
Some children are allergic to vaccines, or have some other legitimate reason for not being medically able to receive them. Children are also little disease factories as it is, some kid with the measles might have a weakened enough immune system that they're harboring something else, like flu or pink eye.

This may be 100% irrational on my part, but I don't want my hypothetical kids around somebody who's sick with an easy transfer vector, regardless of their being vaccinated. Harder vectors like HIV are fine, I know how virtually impossible it is to transfer that through casual contact, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to interact closely with polio for example.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Vaccines does not make everyone 100% immune. They make MOST people MOSTLY resistant but there will always be a few that can not take the vaccine or where the vaccine just is not effective.
That is where herd immunity comes in and why it is so important.

So, think of it this way. Your kids are vaccinated against Polio. Whether the vaccine took and they are in fact immune or not is not known until they are exposed to Polio vectors.
If they don't get sick, good, the vaccine took. If they catch Polio, well looks like the vaccine didn't take and your kids will be severely crippled (if they survive that is). :-(

Herd Immunity is the way we make sure we don't have to find out.

Last edited:

Kamina

Jun 2, 2013
Austria
Very good. Too many adults still think vaccines against well known child-illnesses are unnecessary. Sometimes they need to face that not everything is a matter of opinion.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
I agree with this. If you are 18 you can decide what you want to do but for children this is highly important. And we in Germany also have more shit like measles etc spreeding to schools etc.

Traianvs

Aug 28, 2018
A few days ago I was talking about it with my old aunt, 83 this year. Se comes from a poor family of farmer, deeply ignorant, with the lowest school education and mildly racist...
Despite this, she finds incredible that there are lots of young parents opposing to vaccinations. For her, watching smallpox disappear (just to make an example) was a joy as equal as the day her town was freed from the Nazi occupation.