• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It'll take $2100 or 4500+ hours to unlock everything in Battlefront II

Experien

For Honor laughs in the general direction of Battlefront II.

Not a big deal to me since I don't want to unlock everything. I don't like Heroes and I don't like the starship battles so that means half of the stuff I don't need to unlock. Sure I'll play those modes but rather do trooper stuff.

I doubt 2% extra damage is really going to mean a lot since the game is for fun and not esports. Honestly half the time you die is from someone on the otherwise of the map sniping or from a different area. Big battles like these are usually chaos. Even in Blast/Strike, fire can come from most directions.

but, but...the sense of pride and accomplishment!!

The game is just a thinly disguised platform to sell microtransactions, wrapped under the Star Wars IP to draw mass appeal while simultaneously influencing minors to gambling. All for the sake of making shareholders more money.

It's fucking despicable and people who try to justify this are in complete denial.

I know people will be butthurt but,

This isn't the gaming industry you want,
but its the gaming industry you deserve.

Gamers have let it get to this point, slowly but surely, they came with the DLC and everyone collectively shrugged, they came with the season passes and everyone collectively shrugged, they came with the Microtransactions and everyone collectively shrugged.

Where did people thing this was headed?

In 5 years games will all be 9.99 a month. If this shit isn't put to bed, and whats sad is if this wasn't star wars no one would have gave a shit

DKPOWPOW

Seriously? If this is the future of video games I'm out. This shit needs to stop. I really hope the sales for this game drops significantly from the first game. No one should support this. I know I won't.

Remeard

That's great and all, but there's hardly any outrage when folks like Blizzard, Valve, or other companies have inordinate expenses and gambling. How much would it cost to unlock everything in Dota2? Overwatch? A single ship in Star Citizen costs $2,500 - and it's already sold out of the limited 200 run. People buy knives off CSGO (Which I assume valve takes a portion of) for $400 regularly.

I'm glad to see outrage, but it seems that it's always the low hanging fruit.

That's great and all, but there's hardly any outrage when folks like Blizzard, Valve, or other companies have inordinate expenses and gambling. How much would it cost to unlock everything in Dota2? Overwatch? A single ship in Star Citizen costs $2,500 - and it's already sold out of the limited 200 run. People buy knives off CSGO (Which I assume valve takes a portion of) for $400 regularly.

Yeah no kidding. I mean if you think about it, Diablo 3 is just one big loot box with a $60 buy in, but no one seems to care about that.

Basoes

People don't care unless the boxes give an advantage over other players, which Dota2,OW boxes don't give

ShinZed

Yeah no kidding. I mean if you think about it, Diablo 3 is just one big loot box with a $60 buy in, but no one seems to care about that.

Diablo 3 is more of a loot pinata than a loot box. You go into levels and hit baddies and loot falls out of them. But it is very similar. You don't have to pay to hit the pinata at least.

Seriously? If this is the future of video games I'm out. This shit needs to stop. I really hope the sales for this game drops significantly from the first game. No one should support this. I know I won't.

It is the future. It is the now. It is the new normal.

As soon as people started pre-ordering deluxe editions of games for 75 dollars no matter what, well, our fate is sealed.

Diablo 3 is more of a loot pinata than a loot box. You go into levels and hit baddies and loot falls out of them. But it is very similar. You don't have to pay to hit the pinata at least.

But you did pay. Each baddie you kill is a loot box without the fancy animation of a box opening. Instead of paying per box, you paid $60 to open unlimited boxes.

Aggie CMD

Let's say it took $21 or 45+ hours to unlock everything. What percentage of the game's player base do you think would unlock everything?

I think the community is being unreasonable. I've been gaming for over 30 years and I can state for a fact that I've finished very few games to 100%. I never beat Super Mario Lost Levels. I never won the Master Cup in F-Zero X. Still haven't finished Modern Warfare. PGR4 is still shrink wrapped. I really will finish all the levels in Pacman Championship Edition 2. I'm still waiting for the devs to hit the boards complaining about how they waste their time making games that nobody finishes.

I know people will be butthurt but,

This isn't the gaming industry you want,
but its the gaming industry you deserve.

Gamers have let it get to this point, slowly but surely, they came with the DLC and everyone collectively shrugged, they came with the season passes and everyone collectively shrugged, they came with the Microtransactions and everyone collectively shrugged.

Where did people think this was headed?

In 5 years games will all be 9.99 a month. If this shit isn't put to bed, and whats sad is if this wasn't star wars no one would have gave a shit

That ... **holds retro systems dearly**

I was pretty excited for this game on the initial reveal, but I'm avoiding this game and any other EA games that pull this kind of BS until they get their act together (which could be never). Plenty of other games that respect me as a consumer.

Not really. With diablo you pay once to experience the story, and slay demons and shit. Loot is part of evolving in the game, and there is no gambling, since you don't pay to evolve. Also in diablo you quite constantly get better or at least as good equipment as you have. The 60 bucks here were for experiencing the game and the story, the randimized loot comes from actually grindig or you could say working for it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
So don't unlock everything.

Most people use a limited number of classes. Unlock the achievements and then play a few favorites.

Good idea, don't unlock most of the content you've already paid for. If that's how they want to do it then we should only pay for that amount. Charge $5 for the game and most of this goes away.

luxsol

Pay $60 and not have access to what you paid for? LOFUCKINGL.

The future:

"So what if the final boss fight takes 1,000 hours or $1,500 to 'unlock'? You already got to play for 20 hours for your $60. You can't be entitled to everything you paid for. "

I remember when online play was free, and now it's locked behind a pay wall and people celebrated that wall.

My 14 year old nephew and his friends have already rationalized locked content, so it'll be the accepted norm as time goes on.

I've given up buying new consoles with this gen and most games because of all this shit, but i'll buy something for my nephew and play that once in a blue moon.
I still play on my PS3 regularly though, plus older consoles.

If you played the game 4 hours for every single day of your life, it would take you more than 3 years to unlock everything.

And I'm assuming that means you at least play competently.

If not, it could take longer.

I would hazard a guess that this would likely mean playing the game for at least 5 years for most people.

So yea, just make sure you play this game at least 3x a week for 5 years and you should be fine lol

Let's say it took $21 or 45+ hours to unlock everything. What percentage of the game's player base do you think would unlock everything?

I think the community is being unreasonable. I've been gaming for over 30 years and I can state for a fact that I've finished very few games to 100%. I never beat Super Mario Lost Levels. I never won the Master Cup in F-Zero X. Still haven't finished Modern Warfare. PGR4 is still shrink wrapped. I really will finish all the levels in Pacman Championship Edition 2. I'm still waiting for the devs to hit the boards complaining about how they waste their time making games that nobody finishes.

Do you understand what pay to win means?

Hoshigumi

Unpopular opinion: I hate these business practices and wish things could be like the old days, but going forward gamers are going to have to drop this obsession with completeness and "getting everything". You don't have to get everything, you're not even meant to with games like this and FTP titles, so these types of grand totals are kind of meaningless.

You are standing in the way of progress.

Laws00

FUCKING DISGUSTING

I'm all for working for things but god damn.

Who even plays a game for 4500+ hours?

And who even puts in $2100 worth for micro-transactions?

Combine the two for half the time and money and it's still bad

Pepboy

Frankly, I'm fine with this. I actually kind of prefer it. I know I'm going to get flamed but I like a sense of "true" progression. I like systems where you actually have to make decisions about what to spend money on.

Like RPGs where you actually have to decide whether to buy better armor or swords and you can't always afford the best of everything. I think the same is true for me when it comes to this stuff. I'm fine never getting access to 100% of the "content" because the sense of achievement feels higher for the stuff I do unlock.

But I'm not really that hip to multiplayer games anyways. I haven't cared all that much about K/D ratios or scores or being #1. I just like jumping in, shooting a bit, and then playing a different game after a few days.

FUCKING DISGUSTING

I'm all for working for things but god damn.

Who even plays a game for 4500+ hours?

And who even puts in $2100 worth for micro-transactions?

Combine the two for half the time and money and it's still bad

Who even gets 100% of random loot in games? Though if acquiring every single last thing is important to you, I agree BF2 is probably not your game.

Pay $60 and not have access to what you paid for? LOFUCKINGL.

The future:

"So what if the final boss fight takes 1,000 hours or $1,500 to 'unlock'? You already got to play for 20 hours for your $60. You can't be entitled to everything you paid for. "

Jesus Fucking Christ.

We already pay extra for DLC or expansions that include boxes. I'm not sure if acquiring every last random item is on the same level as cutting out a chunk of the story. Frankly I'd be much more upset at story DLC than stuff like this.

Good idea, don't unlock most of the content you've already paid for. If that's how they want to do it then we should only pay for that amount. Charge $5 for the game and most of this goes away.

Eventually it will probably fall to $5 -- heck, it's already available to play for 10 hours for about that via EA Access. (Most people will probably play less than 10 hours.)

LhommeCornichon

Neo Member
This makes me think : Out of curiosity how much time do you need to unlock everything in Halo 5 ? Does someone knows ? I remember giving up after they kept adding stuff monthly.

Edit : First post on the forum, hi everyone ! :)

Blam

This makes me think : Out of curiosity how much time do you need to unlock everything in Halo 5 ? Does someone knows ? I remember giving up after they kept adding stuff monthly.

Edit : First post on the forum, hi everyone ! :)

Not that long actually I got to it in about a couple months. But you can easily do it in a month.

Plus that you get free packs all the time, free golds, credit boosts, free xp, and credits. You can play like 4-5 games and have enough for a gold pack.

Also apparently the reddit mods are corrupt?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa..._community_manager_handles_his_reddit_ban_by/
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...t/on_accusations_of_bribery_and_what_will_be/
http://www.craveonline.co.uk/cultur...ve-negative-posts-exchange-early-alpha-access
BattlefrontSledgehammer.jpg

ruEJbIK.png

nBJfiOs.png

https://web.archive.org/web/2017111...ommunityteam_is_sledgehammer_and_friends_the/

Also apparently this Sledgehammer guy is the EABattlefront account that's modded on reddit? But they use it as a group account so it's bypassing reddits rules.

QKip4rE.png

AjbL4zx.png

ftZiCbW.png

Sorry but I'm genuinely fine with this.

How long will it take you to unlock everything in WoW while they charge you to play on top of it?

What's the difference?

Typhares

That's fair. Is a multiplayer game, being able to farm credits in single player against stupid bots is very unfair against people that will only play vs other players.

My farm is better than your farm? I mean you could say that the people playing solo will be bad when they jump in multiplayer so why stop them from getting cards?

Blam

Sorry but I'm genuinely fine with this.

How long will it take you to unlock everything in WoW while they charge you to play on top of it?

What's the difference?

Quite a long time. But here's the thing. The content in wow actually adds up to how long you're going to be playing for. Also the fuck? This is a cycled FPS you're talking about one of the biggest mmos

Typhares

Also something from the AMA that I found stupid is that the reward for end of match is only 20% from performance, 80% from time spent in the match.
That's why a lot of people were getting roughly the same amount of credits at the end.

Quite a long time. But here's the thing. The content in wow actually adds up to how long you're going to be playing for. Also the fuck? This is a cycled FPS you're talking about one of the biggest mmos
Things are changing.

Who says they intend to keep cycling it instead of supporting it like R6: Siege?

royox

My farm is better than your farm? I mean you could say that the people playing solo will be bad when they jump in multiplayer so why stop them from getting cards?

I only say it would be unfair to farm credits to the infinite against bots. People would stop playing MP to farm solo.

Blam

Things are changing.

Who says they intend to keep cycling it instead of supporting it like R6: Siege?

EA says so. EA hasn't ran a single game for that long and not kept pushing sequels.

As long as Disney is making Star Wars movies, then EA will continue making Star Wars games.

Typhares

I only say it would be unfair to farm credits to the infinite against bots. People would stop playing MP to farm solo.

I don't understand your argument. Why would people that prefer to play multiplayer stop playing it even if arcade gave rewards at roughly the same rate? The credits are already to the infinite in multiplayer, how does it make it unfair that people that prefer playing solo for whatever reason get the same rewards?

royox

I don't understand your argument. Why would people that prefer to play multiplayer stop playing it even if arcade gave rewards at roughly the same rate? The credits are already to the infinite in multiplayer, how does it make it unfair that people that prefer playing solo for whatever reason get the same rewards?

Because bots are exploiteable. People would find the best formula credits/time to farm. It's unfair in an online based game.

Top Bottom