• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It'll take $2100 or 4500+ hours to unlock everything in Battlefront II

Blam

All the math was done by swtorstrategies.

Archived site since it's down atm.

There is a grand total of 324 cards. Upgrading these will require a total of 155,520 crafting parts. This requires opening a grand total of 3,111 loot crates which will require 4,528 hours of gameplay.
The 600 credits received from a hero crate is worth 27% the cost of a hero crate. This is equivalent to 30 crystals. To account for this, I reduced the cost of a hero crate from 110 crystals to 80 crystals. 12,000 crystals can be bought for $100.
Opening the required 3,111 loot crates requires 248,880 crystals. If you only purchase $100 crystal packs, this will cost $2,100.

So like the theory that a few people were throwing around is looking to be more and more correct that EA made a shitty system on purpose to then go around and throw their original intended system in acting like they fixed it.

Turn me into a reddit comment and give me downvotes if old.

edit:

Belgium's gambling regulators are looking into Battlefront II's loot boxes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Absolutely disgusting

Blam

Like how do you actually defend this. Even games like BoTW don't take this long to collect everything.

DESTROYA

Screw that, that's like a mortgage payment.
I do not buy games that support these type of tactics to drain extra money from you, games are expensive enough.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Game designers and people who work inside the industry aren't even going to do that. If anything they'll use a God Code or something and unlock it all. I'd rather put in a cheat code than consume every minute of my gametime with 1 game.

The 3rd game will come out before someone obtains everything. The most I've ever seen is 3,000 hours on my Steam's friend's list for Marvel Heroes and he's played since day 1. That game doesn't even have a sequel.

kunonabi

Like how do you actually defend this. Even games like BoTW don't take this long to collect everything.

Yeah, its pretty nuts. To do absolutely everything in botw it took just 485 hours. That was a terrible experience by itself so i dont even want to think about 4500 for this.

mario_O

Obviously the game was not designed to be played, but to be payed. And $2.100 is insane. Jeez. The level of greed.

Valonquar

I'm curious. Let's say you were a fool ready to part with your (parents) money. How much time would it take to open 3,111 loot crates, hitting next, waiting on loading & animations? Cause I imagine it would take several hours of "fun."

bevishead

Neo Member
It was a tough decision, but I cancelled my preorder yesterday. I was ok with minor micro-transactions but gaming as a hobby has become a way for publishers to ring every nickel and dime out of gamers. Even worse now that these loot boxes give you cards that are normally earned. The game becomes less about skill and play time which helps the community and more about who has more disposable income. I don't want prices to raise on games, but hell I'd rather pay $70 or $80 per game and simply buy less games in a year rather than be constantly hit over the head with all these micro-transactions.

Im not saying this to defend the game at all, because this is absurd and after hearing the way Hennig's game was scraped I want EA to be wrong about what sells in 2017. But my question is, there would never really be a situation where the average person would need all these unlocks right? What exactly is this unlocking?

Also collecting things in BoTW was more a quest than a way to unlock parts of the base, so it's a totally different thing.

wipeout364

It was a tough decision, but I cancelled my preorder yesterday. I was ok with minor micro-transactions but gaming as a hobby has become a way for publishers to ring every nickel and dime out of gamers. Even worse now that these loot boxes give you cards that are normally earned. The game becomes less about skill and play time which helps the community and more about who has more disposable income. I don't want prices to raise on games, but hell I'd rather pay $70 or $80 per game and simply buy less games in a year rather than be constantly hit over the head with all these micro-transactions.
I am proud of you, I resisted as well which is not easy for me as a big Star Wars fan but this behaviour by EA is horrible.

Bickle2

So don’t unlock everything.

Most people use a limited number of classes. Unlock the achievements and then play a few favorites.

blackanother

Neo Member
From talking to people who own the game, it seems the beginning of the game is relatively quick, but progress could probably come to a halt after you finish your challenges.

Calibos

Sure, I guess I don't like all this bullshit and I blame smartphone gamers...but I am still loving this game. I hate that EA has caused such a great game to self destruct in the media.

Absolutely disgusting, EA. I hope BF2 is a commercial failure if this is how you want to treat your fans! Insulting your fans on Reddit doesnt help, neither.

MrBlonde

I am so glad I have ZERO interest in this game and I am not a big Star Wars fan. And if I did have interest I would not support this....I am also done with Madden Ultimate Team after this year, they got some money from me this year with buying packs and it wont happen again.....EA is a joke and this is just gross

Horp

Hey I'm just going to ignore the loot boxes and enjoy the game.
Why are you attacking EA? I feel really bad for them. they are barely scraping buy and prob. dont make mich money off the initial full price for the game.
This trend should continue, and give me more of it! I want loot boxes for more stuff, like perhaps 20% of the story? Why not 50%? Talk about a sense of achievment.
Also piss in my face please.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey I'm just going to ignore the loot boxes and enjoy the game.
Why are you attacking EA? I feel really bad for them. they are barely scraping buy and prob. dont make mich money off the initial full price for the game.
This trend should continue, and give me more of it! I want loot boxes for more stuff, like perhaps 20% of the story? Why not 50%? Talk about a sense of achievment.
Also piss in my face please.
Only if you gargle

Alebrije

Meanwhile at EA

w6Ozq61HotjIbsggZsmEUKwmRYmMZ3APHRmmGDRrvUs2v6Qbqt5a0cqPR5QLQJ33h1bNwHtczQ=w294-h235-nc

Imtjnotu

So at that rate if you somehow managed to play for 8 hours a day every day it would take you 18 months to grind it out.....

Ea lost their Damn mind

Unpopular opinion: I hate these business practices and wish things could be like the old days, but going forward gamers are going to have to drop this obsession with completeness and "getting everything". You don't have to get everything, you're not even meant to with games like this and FTP titles, so these types of grand totals are kind of meaningless.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So don't unlock everything.

Most people use a limited number of classes. Unlock the achievements and then play a few favorites.

Pay $60 and not have access to what you paid for? LOFUCKINGL.

The future:

"So what if the final boss fight takes 1,000 hours or $1,500 to 'unlock'? You already got to play for 20 hours for your $60. You can't be entitled to everything you paid for. "

Unpopular opinion: I hate these business practices and wish things could be like the old days, but going forward gamers are going to have to drop this obsession with completeness and "getting everything". You don't have to get everything, you're not even meant to with games like this and FTP titles, so these types of grand totals are kind of meaningless.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Blam

See how you mentioned it like they are both the same?

This is a 60-70$ game. Not a free to play. This shouldn't be done in a retail game period. Cosmetics I'm ok with. But progression? No just stop.

Also yes we should be getting everything. Thousands of people unlock all the guns and attachments in Call of Duty. Every year. Every single year, and each installment.

I did it for MW2, Black Ops III, Black Ops II, Black Ops I. Even doing it for WW2. You can't seriously tell me that wanting to 100% a Multiplayer FPS isn't something that you're supposed to be doing. I can do it in CoD, and even Battlefield 1 faster then I can do it in Battlefront II.

That's not right.

Don't try to justify it, because there's no justifying a chance to get a progression upgrade. That's not how leveling up is supposed to work. That not progression that's a chance to progress.

That makes the entire leveling system gambling. That makes all you work towards is another chance to gamble at a chance to progress further in the completion of what you want.

This shouldn't be done in a retail game period. Cosmetics I'm ok with. But progression? No just stop.

I agree, I said I hated it too. I hate this practice. I'm not saying it doesn't suck.

My point is that trumpeting the $2100 figure is somewhat misleading since most players are not meant or expected to get everything in game designed like this one regardless of what it costs. I'm not defending the practice, simply stating that looking at this like you have to get everything is unhealthy. The completionist tendency is not a healthy one.

EDIT - Let me try it this way: Hate the game because it's a bad/scummy design, not because of the large $ figure it costs to unlock everything, because it really doesn't matter. There's no monetary cut-off point where this is OK, right?

Blam

I agree, I said I hated it too. I hate this practice. I'm not saying it doesn't suck.

My point is that trumpeting the $2100 figure is somewhat misleading since most players are not meant or expected to get everything in game designed like this one regardless of what it costs. I'm not defending the practice, simply stating that looking at this like you have to get everything is unhealthy. The completionist tendency is not a healthy one.

I know what you're getting at but there's a sizable chunk of people who want to get everything in a game and BFII is preying on them being tired out by the grind to start paying up.

Top Bottom