• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it's 1987-1997 and youre allowed 10 PC games - what you buying?

Murr

In no particular order

2ryNzHU.jpg

hTahL3V.jpg

2zdzrkA.jpg

RBRR60M.jpg

A21PquN.jpg

F8jg3wx.jpg

mKxEc5f.jpg

QvoBBMp.png

Dk77b9e.jpg

0oASUvd.jpg

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Doom 2
Xcom
Descent
Civ 2
Phantasmagoria
Duke Nukem 3D
Stonekeep
Theme Park
Diablo 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Ok....more than 10:

7th Guest
Half Life
System Shock 2

Last edited:
The Secret of Monkey Island
Civilization
Lesuire Suit Larry
Populous
Dungeon Keeper
Sim City 2000
Fallout
X-COM:UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown
DOOM or DOOM 2
Probably an Ultima title or Daggerfall, though not sure which.

A few of those are just my favourite from the time, but some are still amazing games today. With openXcom, that game and it's sequel TFTD are still really enjoyable today and hold up well after the graphical tweaks. Civ is still decent, Monkey Island will always be a classic, Dungeon Keeper is still a joy to play and Fallout is still a fav of mine to return to, despite it's bugs.

Touhou: Perfect Cherry Blossom
Panzer Dragoon
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Mayhem in Monsterland
Lord Monarch
Touhou: Imperishable Night
Heart of Darkness

Probably only these as I am not really a PC gamer.

Last edited:

Thabass

Super_Mario_Bros_3_boxfront.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)

TMNT2boxNES.jpg

TMNT2: The Arcade Game (1989)

latest

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1990)

iu

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (NA: 1992)

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

Final Fantasy VI (1994)

Chrono_Trigger.jpg

Chrono Trigger (1995)

iu

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (1994)

doom_ii_box_art__high_resolution__by_llortor-d6bpuj4.png

Doom II (1995)

iu

Duke Nukem 3D (1996)

iu

Goldeneye 007 (1997)

Kazza

maxresdefault.jpg

:messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

But seriously, all the adventure and strategy games already mentioned are great. I put an enormous amount of time into Civ 2 (including creating my own maps and scenarios), but I'm not sure how fun it would be to play again, given the additional features added in subsequent games. I do miss wiping out an enemy mega-stack of 100 tanks with an attack with a single artillery piece though!

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)
TMNT2: The Arcade Game (1989)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1990)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (NA: 1992)
Final Fantasy VI (1994)
Chrono Trigger (1995)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (1994)
Doom II (1995)
Duke Nukem 3D (1996)
Goldeneye 007 (1997)

Great list, especially MGS2:Solid Snake, but PC?

Paltheos

Damn, one more year and you got the two greatest games of all time (starcraft and half life)

If I had to pick three, it would probably be HOMM2, Curse of monkey Island, and Total Annihilation.

I don't know about Half Life, man. I tried Half Life 2 a few years back and was really bored by it. Doesn't hold a candle to Portal imo.

I'm inclined to believe it just hasn't aged well.

Hmmmm

SimCity 2000
Day of the Tentacle
Doom 2
Fallout
Quake 2
The three Monkey Islands
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Civilization II

And I think I'm set for life (or until I go crazy)

bobone

I don't think I got more than 10 PC games over those years.

But they sure did offer a hugely different experience over the SNES and Genesis.

DOOM - one of the only old PC games I still go back and play frequently.
Diablo - Really creepy as a kid. didn't have internet then. but playing it alone was quite an experience.
Duke 3D - Still the best FPS of all time in my eyes. Replayed the 20th Anniversary version and its still amazing.
Heroes of Might and Magic - One of my first non-"educational" PC games as a kid.
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - unbelievable improvement over the first. Spent entire summers playing hotseat with friends.
Age of Empires - Pretty sure this was the first RTS I played. Legitimately got me interested in history in addition to being amazingly fun.
Command and Conquer Red Alert - I never got the hang of it as a kid. Got more respect for the series as I got older. Generals was the top C&C game for me.
Warcraft 2 - First game from Blizzard. Made me love those guys till I was recently betrayed by them.
Total Annihilation - really solid and hardly mentioned anymore on Gaf.

In no particular order, I've also not included some obvious ones like Doom as they go without saying, just so I could include more.

Alone in the Dark Trilogy (1992, 1993, 1994). I know technically this collection was published after 1997 but I couldn't decide which one to choose so this'll do.
980741346-00.jpg

BioForge (1995). Absolutely legendary game. Beating a naked blue cyborg murderer to death with his own arm in the first 10 minutes was a memorable opener.
Bioforge.jpg

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993). Amazing feeling of freedom as you explored space, battled pirates, visited beautiful 3D rendered space ports, trading, upgraded your ship... better than No Man's Sky.
iu

X-Wing (1993). Back when Star Wars was legendary, this was an incredible video game dream come to life.
645507-xwing.jpg

Daggerfall (1996). Lots and lots of game to keep me busy. I only ever played this on other people's PC's at the time and always did so with huge amounts of envy.
105598-the-elder-scrolls-chapter-ii-daggerfall-dos-front-cover.jpg

Syndicate (1993). Brilliant stylish game that mostly involved arming your agents with Gauss guns and flamethrowers and creating complete chaos.

1020517625.jpg

Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within (1995). The only FMV era game that truly superceded its gimmick in being a superb game. Brilliant story, evocative locations, music, good acting (with even the loss of Tim Curry as Gabriel not being too much of a downer). Also absolutely love first game.

Gabriel_Knight_The_Beast_Within.jpg

Fallout (1997). If I'm honest I prefer Fallout 2, played that first and played it more, but as I'm restricted to pre-98 games it will have to be my post apocalyptic rpg fix.
418-fallout-windows-front-cover.jpg

Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge (1991). This was a showcase of a title back in the day, with some of the best art and animation seen in a game up until then.

6897_boxshot_Monkey%20Island%202%20-%20LeChucks%20Revenge.jpg

UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994). Such a wonderful, deep game that offered an unparalleled strategy experience. Nothing matched renaming all your soldiers to your friends, family and girls you fancied only to watch them all get wiped out during an alien terror attack.
ufo-enemy-unknown.jpg

This is horrible. There are too many games others have included that I would easily add here: Doom, Doom 2, Strife, Sim City 2000, Lemmings 3D, Blade Runner, Carmaggedon 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Dark Forces, Rise of the Triad, Quarantine, Hand of Fate, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2.... I could go on. it's criminal not to be able to include them. What a gaming era.

Bl@de

Ultimate Doom, HoMM3, Gabriel Knight, Diablo, Grand Prix 2, Resident Evil, Fallout, Wizardry 7, Theme Park, Civilization 2

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Nice one OP. With the cut off being 1997 it keeps the lists very varied as it avoids the avalanche of classics that 1998 was.
Anyway, my picks are:

Riven - to this day my favorite game of all time. Incredible immersion and atmosphere, mindblowing worldbuilding and subtle story, as well as THE best puzzles ever created for a videogame.
myst_riven-640x360.jpg

Gabriel Knight -
utter classic. The story, the visuals, the characters and the wonderful setting rich with history. Jane Jensen never managed to top this.
p6u9iqtlql9pksvyhmbo.jpg

Myst -
same as Riven, only less :)
Myst.jpg

Fallout 1 - my favorite RPG of all time. The series never managed to fully recapture the unique atmosphere and magic of the first one.
s11-93b3a12e0ce2b9f07df37ceaf47bfad2.jpg

Wing Commander IV - I love cinematic space sims and in this genre this reigns supreme with long campaign with twisty plot, great cutscenes and very varied missions (for genre standards at least). Still my favorite thing Mark Hamil ever did.
wc4homeworld75.jpg

Blade Runner - groundbreaking, unique and innovative. A masterpiece that doesnt just live up to movie's legacy, but it's existence enriches the brand. It's tragedy that nobody tried to built upon the ideas from this game.
QIfJIYWC78Vis2MwPtEAkJklB8F71tU0pfTWeWsRlVE.jpg

Darklands - realistic medieval RPG with insane depth that can stil be enjoyed as much today as back in 90s.
6e67494ed542c83c64c6b3ccefd0971b.jpg

Myth - another classic with unique innovative gameplay that later on barely anyone tried to built upon. And come at me Halo fanboys, Myth's OST is the finest work in Marty O'Donnell's career.
1511336057894-Myth-II-2017-11-22-02-31-28-82.jpeg

MDK - the pinnacle of Shiny's portofolio. Unique, inventive, funny as hell, but also extremely fun to play. Still the most fun I ever had shooting in TPP.
20180722001024_1.jpg

Jane's Longbow 2 -
I put hundreds of hours into this. It was surpassed later on by other heli sims, but it still measures up to them well and remains one of the finest sims ever made.
20_1.jpg

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Interesting exercise. I'm assuming 1998 being beyond the cutoff was done deliberately. Otherwise half my list would probably be 1998 games.

In no particular order:

Myst
Riven
Jedi Knight
SimCity 2000
C&C Red Alert
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
(played TIE Fighter more, but this one is probably the more complete game)
Dark Forces
The Oregon Trail
(slighly cheating I think because apparently the version I played the most launched in 1985)
Nascar Racing 2 (Another Papyrus game with a 500 page manual... 3 was much better, but 1999)
And to complete the list, everybody loves Minesweeper because who didn't play that between 1987 and 1997? Nobody.

HotPocket69

Banned
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Sam and Max Hit The Road
Doom 2
Duke 3D
Quest For Glory I
Fallout
Crusader: No Remorse
Oregon Trail
Star Wars: Yoda Stories

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Commander Keen 1-6, Keen Dreams, Jazz Jackrabbit, Rayman World. I'm open to suggestions for the tenth game.

TIE Fighter
Ultima VIII - Pagan
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Wing Commander II
Al Qadim - The Genie's Curse
Prince of Persia 2
Grand Prix 2
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Alone in the Dark

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Can we include 98? I spent most of my 20’s playing starsiege Tribes and smoking pot. I suppose I could have don’t that for longer. 😂😂

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Worms II
Quake II
Outlaws
Death Rally
Need For Speed II
Ignition
Moto Racer
Grand Theft Auto
DX-Ball

Damn... this takes me back.

LordKite

Neo Member
My list for this:

Civ 2 - It's the first civ I played, it was a great time. Civ was a wonderful timewaster

Duke Nukem 3d - Old school shooter of choice for me, this is the one we had in the house when I was young so it's the one I played.

3d Pinball Space Cadet - Greatest timewaster of all time, I love it.

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - I love this game, not as much as 3, but this game has almost as many good memories for me.

X Wing VS Tie Fighter - I love flight games, I love Star Wars, gimme that game. Best of both worlds.

Command and Conquer Red Alert - Still my favorite C&C game, it's still impressive to me how well it plays.

Age of Empires - Of all the RTS on this list, this is my main choice. I love Age of Empires, and it helped me naturally get an interest in history.

Fallout 1 - None of my favorite WRPGs are released yet by this point, but Fallout 1 being the backup choice? That's one helluva a deal.

AND FINALLY, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, my main choice.

Ultima Online. BOI. I'm a little surprised no one listed it. THE MMO of MMOs, I played this when I was the smallest lad, my parents and I all played this for... 7 or 8 years? It set the bar so ridiculously high for MMOs for me, and it will forever sting me how little it's acknowledged for what it is, and the impact it had. Everquest ain't got nothing on UO.

Yoda

DOOM 2
DUKE3D
Command & Conquer
Warcraft 2
Age of Empires
Grand Theft Auto
Fallout
Civ 2
Quake 2
Super Mario 64

Christ RTS games were really in their golden years back then weren't they?

Caffeine

Doom
Doom 2
Dark forces
Dark Forces 2
System Shock
diablo
Fallout
Myst
Street fighter 2
Duke3D

kinda makes me mad that the cut off in 97 when all my favorite games are in 98 :p

Last edited:

Gabbelgak

Does it come with the online community from the day as well? If so, in no particular order:

Magestorm
Diablo
Warcraft 2
Legends of Kesmai
SimCity
Doom II
The Curse of Monkey Island
Command and Conquer
Aliens Online
Myst

Magestorm, Legends of Kesmai and Aliens Online would all be dependent on community (and to a degree Diablo)

Woops aliens was 98.

Last edited:
Top Bottom