• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2021. Where the fuck are my Star Wars games EA?

GreyHorace

What the hell Electronic Arts? The Star Wars franchise is experiencing a resurgence in popularity after the season 2 finale of it's flagship series on Disney+;

5f4fc2337ed0ee001e25d032

Plus a shitton of Star Wars media that Disney announced:

the-future-of-star-wars-looking-ahead-to-whats-next-for-a-galaxy-far-far-away.jpeg

Book_of_Boba_Fett_logo.jpeg

What the hell have you been doing in the meantime? You acquired the license way back in 2013, and proceeded to release two meh shooters (in comparison to the originals):

Star_Wars_Battlefront_2015_box.jpg
SWBF2_box.jpeg

An above average space combat game:

Star_Wars_Squadrons.jpg

Plus one very good Metroidvaina Soulslike Jedi game:

Cover_art_of_Star_Wars_Jedi_Fallen_Order.jpg

That's just three big games in 7 years. Your output is trash EA. From 2002 to 2006 LucasArts released new titles like Jed Outcast, Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron 3, Bounty Hunter, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, the original Battlefront and Lego Star Wars. When are you gonna give us gamers are Star Wars fix you assholes?

I'll admit to loving the hell out of Jedi Fallen Order, but I can only replay that game so much before it starts to get old.

jfo3.gif

With The Mandalorian so popular right now, I'm surprised you haven't assigned one of your slave ca- er, I mean one your numerous development studios to make a Mandalorian title.

tenor.gif

You're sitting on one of the most popular licensed properties in the world. Where the hell are the games EA?

GIVE ME 'EM GAMES! I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS!!!

jPbCHO.gif

116.gif

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Probably too late in development, at a point where they'll release way, way after the hype dies down, to a lacklustre reception.

Just like a certain other big Disney franchise did only a few months ago.

GreyHorace

Probably too late in development, at a point where they'll release way, way after the hype dies down, to a lacklustre reception.

What other big Disney franchise? You mean Marvel?

EDIT: Oh wait. Of course you were talking about this:

capsule_616x353.jpg

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: AV
Also why would you want them to rush more medicore games to market. Star wars needs to be done right and with passion. Not some fucking cash grab because the movies and tv shows just happen to come out. Look at the Avengers game and thats exactly what happened

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I think it’s quite obvious EA massively mishandled the Star Wars franchise, let’s see if Disney will take any action when the licence expires in 2023.

HoofHearted

Christ - I can’t I unsee that last image...

Thanks - heading to my doctor now to get a lobotomy...

EDIT: WTHF is that thing? A stale burrito?

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Also why would you want them to rush more medicore games to market. Star wars needs to be done right and with passion. Not some fucking cash grab because the movies and tv shows just happen to come out. Look at the Avengers game and thats exactly what happened
I was half joking in my opening post. Of course I don't want them to rush out mediocre crap with the Star Wars name attached. But still, they've only released 4 games in the seven years they've had the license. And as I pointed in my post, LucasArts published a number of good to great Star Wars games from 2002 to 2006.

I think it’s quite obvious EA massively mishandled the Star Wars franchise, let’s see if Disney will take any action when the licence expires in 2023.
2023 huh? Sadly, I think Disney will just give them a contract extension with Star Wars.

But if they were smart, they'd revive LucasArts to make new Star Wars titles inhouse.

II_JumPeR_I

They really ruined the Battlefront name with the focus on the annoying heroes. Especially Battlefront 2 becomes unplayable because of that.

Squadrons is such a weird release to me. If it would play more like the Starfighter mode from Battlefront then people would have been more interested. But after playing the closed Alpha of that thing i sure knew not to buy this lol

Fallen Order was okey and so far the best EA Star Wars game.

I was half joking in my opening post. Of course I don't want them to rush out mediocre crap with the Star Wars name attached. But still, they've only released 4 games in the seven years they've had the license. And as I pointed in my post, LucasArts published a number of good to great Star Wars games from 2002 to 2006.

2023 huh? Sadly, I think Disney will just give them a contract extension with Star Wars.

But if they were smart, they'd revive LucasArts to make new Star Wars titles inhouse.
Ea has been renewing up all their old trademarkd and contracts unfortunately. I cant see Star Wars with anyone else sadly.

They really ruined the Battlefront name with the focus on the annoying heroes. Especially Battlefront 2 becomes unplayable because of that.

Squadrons is such a weird release to me. If it would play more like the Starfighter mode from Battlefront then people would have been more interested. But after playing the closed Alpha of that thing i sure knew not to buy this lol

Fallen Order was okey and so far the best EA Star Wars game.
Thank you thank you thank you!! Battlefront 2 was completely ruined by focusing on the star villians/heroes. But we know how they had set that up for pay to win and microtransactions. Squadrons was such a weird release. Starfighter mode is what people wanted from the get go. Squadrons just seems unnecessary.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

So into star wars you're begging for games from the worst company in the USA.

Sounds like time for a renewal of your horizon.
I'm well aware of what a scumbag company EA is. And it still riles me that they have the videogame license to Star Wars.

But Jedi Fallen Order was actually pretty good. I'd like for EA to make more Star Wars game like that. Though it's probably wishing for the moon.

Ea has been renewing up all their old trademarkd and contracts unfortunately. I cant see Star Wars with anyone else sadly.

Yeah. I kind of expected that. Sad really.

Christ - I can’t I unsee that last image...

Thanks - heading to my doctor now to get a lobotomy...

EDIT: WTHF is that thing? A stale burrito?

Yes because the lack of hype is totally what killed the game and not the game itself being absolute shit.

wipeout364

To be fair, before the Mandalorian we had 6 years of garbage star wars content which almost destroyed the any goodwill Star Wars had. If I was running EA I also would have been kind of pissed.

Also those Battlefront games were both excellent Star Wars games after a few patches, they are much better games than squadrons will likely ever be. Battlefront 2 in particular despite almost wrecking itself at launch with the usual EA anti consumer bullshit has been turned into a very solid game considering it’s a licensed product.

dan76

They dropped the ball when they abandoned Battlefront 2. No one could've predicted how great The Mandalorian was going to be or how much everyone likes it, but they really should add in content from the show, it would sell bucketloads. Imaging the co-op mode playing a Mando, Fett, Bo Katan and Ashoka!

Big single player games take 3-4 years to make, DICE should be using their game engine to make a single player dlc or something. BF2 looked the part, it's a no brainier to take maps and characters they already have and craft a new game.

There are a ton of mods on the PC version, I guess that's the way to go outside Fortnite for now.

Last edited:

P.Jack

I agree with your premise OP, only four games in seven years from a mega publisher like EA. But tbf, I’m pretty happy with their output. And one of the benefits with EA having the license outside of production values; the games become dirt cheap fast!

Also, Squadrons gives me hope that they’ll branch out more. Whens the next Star Wars racer or fighter?

Kokoloko85

Its EA what do you expect.

And TBH Disney aint doing a great job either outside of Mandalorian.

I mean who gives a fuck about a lando and droid series when they could be doing something in the KOTOR time zone or a Vader series/movies between episode 3 and 4...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You got your very good and average reversed there.

Also I doubt the rights they have include everything like new stuff like The Mandalorian specifically (but of course they could make a western-esque Star Wars mandalorian game that wasn't based on that series in particular I guess), just as companies having the rights to Marvel games often couldn't do whatever they wanted.

Last edited:
Star Wars has a massive galaxy to create stories from, but we are eternally locked to a handful of characters on a handful of planets in a small timeline basically forever because nobody at Lucasfilm is willing to risk going outside a safe space.

Except Kathleen Kennedy, who went full retard and tried to burn the whole thing down.

Are there any really really good star wars games for someone not completely nuts about the franchise?

I know Ive seen some on gamepass but havent downloaded any yet.

Garani

That Star Wars license is still being neglected by EA.
IMHO the only decent thing was Bioware's SWTOR, but it's not getting anylove anymore: it would need a overall engine/asset re-write and a new good story being developed. As it stands, it's dead.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are there any really really good star wars games for someone not completely nuts about the franchise?

X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance on PC. Rogue Squadron 3D on PC/N64. Rogue Squadron 2/3 on GameCube. Star Wars: Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast on PC. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy on PC, Knights of the Old Republic also on PC (some on more paltforms but best where mentioned).

Various so so games like Pod Racer, Force Unleashed, some Lego Star Wars games, Empires at War, Republic Commando, Shadows of the Empire, etc., have their fans.

None of the Battlefront games were very good really, old or new, just full of fan service and maybe impressive due to the large scale on the PS2 port or whatever but Battlefield was miles ahead in that kind of gameplay back in those days to be honest.

Last edited:

Hudo

Disney should do it like Games Workshop and license out Star Wars on a per-project basis. Give Platinum Games or Capcom the license to let them make a Sith action game.

GreyHorace

Its EA what do you expect.

And TBH Disney aint doing a great job either outside of Mandalorian.

I mean who gives a fuck about a lando and droid series when they could be doing something in the KOTOR time zone or a Vader series/movies between episode 3 and 4...
I'm still pissed that Disney scrapped LucasArts after they bought Lucasfilm. They were a great studio and publisher and at least cranked out Star Wars games regularly. Not all quality titles mind you, but at least you could have your pick. On that note...

Jedi Outcast is the obvious choice. It's a decent first person shooter that gives you the chance to play as a Jedi.

1C6771502-37087-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-collector-s.fit-760w.jpg

If you're more into RPGs, there's Knight of the Old Republic from Bioware and it's sequel The Sith Lords from Obsidian Entertainment.

kotor_5-100039523-large.jpg

And Jedi Fallen Order from Respawn I think is a great game despite some niggles.

jedi-fallen-order-lightsaber-pc-mod.jpeg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Squadrons is pretty good, but yeah, EA is still trash and should have the franchise taken away.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They’re probably more focused on letting people live out the adventure than hammering down on genres. I’m actually surprised Fallen Order got green lit considering how they’ve made their games feel more like amusement park experiences. VR Vader, X-Wing, and then shooting each other like you’re a Storm Trooper. Pod racing? No one really asked for that again, but why not? It’s wholesome and it didn’t cost much to port over.

The Mandalorian has been 110 times better than the last 3 films. Obviously there couldn’t be a game because they’re film and TV producers, not game designers. That doesn’t even include the on-set drama caused by it being the film/TV industry.

Maybe that will change. There’s only so many times that fans can go back to KOTOR. Maybe someone is fighting to make an incredible Star Wars IP due out in the next couple years.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I'm well aware of what a scumbag company EA is. And it still riles me that they have the videogame license to Star Wars.

But Jedi Fallen Order was actually pretty good. I'd like for EA to make more Star Wars game like that. Though it's probably wishing for the moon.

Yeah. I kind of expected that. Sad really.

"Phantom Menace?!! WE DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE, WE'VE GOT J.J ABRAMS!!!"

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

teezzy

Banned

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is neck and neck with Chrono Trigger for being my favorite game of all time.

I'm a SW fan, who has enjoyed every movie and read some of the books, but am not obsessive in any sense.

Try Knights of the Old Republic if you enjoy RPGs from that era. It's still dripping with charm and fantastic writing/world-building overall, even compared to modern titles.

Last edited:
I think EA started to realize the flaws their previous games had.

Battlefront 2 used to be another pay 2 win shooter with lootboxes, but they completely changed up the system and its a pretty fun game nowadays, with a lot of content.
Fallen Order was also a step in the right direction, and it is the best singleplayer Star Wars game we got at that generation. And again, no pay 2 win bullshit or something like that. Same goes for Squadrons. Hell, even Squadrons fans started to beg EA for live service elements in Squadrons.

No doubt that a Fallen Order sequel is being made, and most likely other Star Wars games will follow. Until then, we are getting Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga early this year ;)

Last edited:

Fbh

They are probably still busy trying to figure out how to best monetize their next games without getting backlash. They can't keep going like this, the average EA executive looses like 5 years of lifespan every time they release a game with no microtransactions.....10 if it's single player only.

Given the success of the Mandalorian they need to make a bounty hunter game. With loot boxes and a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of getting a small piece of Beskar.
"It's really rare in the world of Star Wars so we wanted to make it really rare here too. That way players can really relate to the excitement felt by Mandalorians when they get their hands on some Beskar. It will be an unprecedented sense of pride and accomplishment".

Garani

The Mandalorian has been 110 times better than the last 3 films. Obviously there couldn’t be a game because they’re film and TV producers, not game designers. That doesn’t even include the on-set drama caused by it being the film/TV industry.

In the last episode on the second season, the whole attack to the light cruiser felt as a flashpoint from SWTOR (a Flashpoint is a repeatable mission that you play with other players). It really was a CUT&PASTE from SWTOR.

GreyHorace

They’re probably more focused on letting people live out the adventure than hammering down on genres. I’m actually surprised Fallen Order got green lit considering how they’ve made their games feel more like amusement park experiences. VR Vader, X-Wing, and then shooting each other like you’re a Storm Trooper. Pod racing? No one really asked for that again, but why not? It’s wholesome and it didn’t cost much to port over.
Respawn actually had to convince Lucasfilm to agree to the former's proposal on developing a game focused on a Jedi.

I know EA is terrible, but I think part of the blame for the lack of Star Wars videogame titles has to fall on Lucasfilm itself. I find this situation laughable. Back in the glory days of LucasArts a game like Jedi Fallen Order would have been greenlighted from the get go.

Kuranghi

Respawn actually had to convince Lucasfilm to agree to the former's proposal on developing a game focused on a Jedi.

I know EA is terrible, but I think part of the blame for the lack of Star Wars videogame titles has to fall on Lucasfilm itself. I find this situation laughable. Back in the glory days of LucasArts a game like Jedi Fallen Order would have been greenlighted from the get go.

Indeed! What a joke!

Imagine thinking no one wants to play as fucking jesus with a laser sword, what the hell as they smoking over there at Lucasfilm. Clearly its shag-weed. Lucasfilm dev pictured at 3 seconds in to this:

I really liked Jedi Fallen Order once I got it looking right, it was a choice of blurry mess or crusty mess initially but I soon sorted that out and loved it. Can't wait for a sequel, I'd say it has some of the best looking backgrounds/vistas I've seen in games.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Battlefront 2 is crazy good now. Def. worth playing and makes acting out your childhood Star Wars battles very easy. Fallen Order is pretty amazing too. I'd like more games too, but EA has put out quality things so far. Haven't played Squadrons yet, but it seems like it's above average and pretty quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom