• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

It's been 5 years since the last console ZELDA was revealed. Is it time for another?

HylianScribe

Member
Aug 13, 2006
3,733
0
0
Texas
Can we stop calling Spirit Tracks a quick, cash-in sequel? It's not even out yet. Besides, Majora's Mask was better than Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask's development/release parallels Spirit Track's release after Phantom Hourglass.
 

wRATH2x

Banned
Dec 15, 2008
7,904
0
0
Why reboot Zelda? You can basically make any game, add a couple of reference's to past Zelda's and let the fanboys go wild with speculation.
 

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apr 14, 2007
47,876
0
1,450
This thread is actually starting to get me angry. It's just so stupid.
 

TheGrayGhost

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
2,175
0
0
BrandNew said:
uhhhh

dude if you think the next console Zelda is going to be like Spirit Tracks, I lol at you

It will be like Phantom Hourglass or at least be inspired by the same development philosophies and principles. That's a given. And for the better.
 

Prime Blue

Member
May 5, 2007
2,036
0
0
primeblue.pr.funpic.de
Oct 16, 2005
22,706
0
0
TheGrayGhost said:
It will be like Phantom Hourglass or at least be inspired by the same development philosophies and principles. That's a given. And for the better.

:lol :lol :lol

No it won't
 

TheGrayGhost

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
2,175
0
0
BrandNew said:
:lol :lol :lol

No it won't

Yeah, it will. That is a given. I have not and am not saying it will be like PH but on a console, but it will, as a matter of fact, be inspired by the same development philosophies and principles. If it wasn't already apparent with their disruptive direction, Aonuma has said so. Where have you been? Stop failing.
 
Nov 10, 2005
32,142
25
0
camineet said:
I'd much rather have a Twilight Princess II than a console Zelda that's like PH or ST.

That's fine as long as you're not saying that TPII would be SO much better.

I'd rather have a Zelda that does something really new and awesome.
 

GeneralIroh

Member
Sep 24, 2006
2,626
0
0
Is anyone else sick of the TWW style? Its been in 5 games already. Those wind waker fanboys are greedy fuckers. I bet if the next zelda is anything but tww style, the wind waker fanboys will be bitter and complain that the game has no life or looks boring. The chibi style is the new generic for me.
 

TheGrayGhost

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
2,175
0
0
GeneralIroh said:
Is anyone else sick of the TWW style? Its been in 5 games already. Those wind waker fanboys are greedy fuckers. I bet if the next zelda is anything but tww style, the wind waker fanboys will be bitter and complain that the game has no life or looks boring. The chibi style is the new generic for me.

I wouldn't count Minish Cap or any of the side-games as having that style, but that's just me. I really like it's use on the DS, though.
 

wRATH2x

Banned
Dec 15, 2008
7,904
0
0
camineet said:
I'd much rather have a Twilight Princess II than a console Zelda that's like PH or ST.
Same here. And I mean it in a good way because TP was awesome.
 

GeneralIroh

Member
Sep 24, 2006
2,626
0
0
TheGrayGhost said:
I wouldn't count Minish Cap or any of the side-games as having that style, but that's just me. I really like it's use on the DS, though.
I think the the ds can only handle the chibi style so its ok if it has it but I definately don't want to see it on the console. Anything but chibi. My dream style for the next console zelda would be a combination of MM and TF2.
The illustrations for Link in the minish cap where much better than in TWW though.
 

camineet

Banned
Mar 30, 2007
8,073
0
0
The style of graphics for Zelda Wii that would be best IMO would be very unique cel-shaded *totally* different from WW/PH/ST, and with totally different artwork/designs.
Maybe something along the lines of Okami or something else, and with some of that old 80s artwork as the baseline. lighting and animation have to be key, less focus on polygon counts & textures. Should run at 60fps which will be needed to have the smoothest sword & shield gameplay engine with M+



As for a Twilight Princess 2, the only reason why I'd want such a game (other than TP being exellent, amazing even with its major flaws) is because of all the things that were cut out of the final game or drastically changed--Things were seen in the 3 trailers of '04 & '05, especially the first 2, the ones from E3 '04 and GDC '05.
 

camineet

Banned
Mar 30, 2007
8,073
0
0
http://cube.ign.com/articles/683/683158p1.html

"No discussion of Twilight Princess' enemies can end without mentioning Ganon," Yoshiyuki said. "I know that everyone's wondering what's going on with Link's old nemesis. All I can say now is, we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, expect."

On a related subject, Yoshiyuki told the publication that he feels previous Zelda outings served up a cast of enemies that were too easily defeated. In contrast, he said that the enemies and bosses in Twilight Princess will be much more challenging, which should be music to the ears of some seasoned gamers.




Oh, the irony :lol
 

sprocket

Banned
Sep 10, 2006
4,384
0
0
I sooo want a new zelda.. But in my widest dreams I would like to see them unveil Wii HD with a 720p Zelda as the flagship title :p
 

yoopoo

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
4,975
0
0
At this point if there is Zelda or no Zelda...the internet message boards will be more than enough entertaining after the conference :lol
 

Christopher

Member
Mar 19, 2005
18,035
1,505
1,925
Wrath2X said:
Same here. And I mean it in a good way because TP was awesome.

ugh no.

I wouldn't mind if a Zelda like Majora's Mask that you know had some life/character to it...not a barren souless color by the numbers Zelda like TP.
 

sprocket

Banned
Sep 10, 2006
4,384
0
0
Christopher said:
ugh no.

I wouldn't mind if a Zelda like Majora's Mask that you know had some life/character to it...not a barren souless color by the numbers Zelda like TP.


you are alone in you dream world TP is one of the best. ;)
 

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Sep 14, 2006
8,321
0
0
34
Tampa Florida
Part of me would squeal with delight like a schoolgirl if they reveal the "new" Zelda is just new play control Wind Waker.

Oh God the meltdowns, the meltdowns.. so delicious
 

Christopher

Member
Mar 19, 2005
18,035
1,505
1,925
sprocket said:
you are alone in you dream world TP is one of the best. ;)

It's one of the best at doing the Link to the Past formula I'll agree...but i've played that game since I was what 10 now? I just don't think that the game had any memorable characters/intriguing plotline or good music...plus I kinna played the same gameplay for 3 other incarnations too. I dunno I guess I just expected a lot more and was severly dissapointed.
 

TheGrayGhost

Banned
Jan 3, 2008
2,175
0
0
Christopher said:
It's one of the best at doing the Link to the Past formula I'll agree...but i've played that game since I was what 10 now? I just don't think that the game had any memorable characters/intriguing plotline or good music...plus I kinna played the same gameplay for 3 other incarnations too. I dunno I guess I just expected a lot more and was severly dissapointed.

I'm being sincere, here: play the game again when you think enough time has past. Other than the game's music, which is admittedly more atmospheric than memorable, Twilight Princess, in my opinion, excels in those other things you mentioned above as lacking. I balk at notion that it's a soulless experience, did we play the same game? When enough time has past, play it again.
 

Meesh

Member
Jan 6, 2007
5,584
514
1,390
43
Canada
Seeing as E3 is in a couple days this thread might as well be the official "E3 Zelda 09 thread of disappointment meltdown", or "E3 Zelda 09 thread of infinite whorgasms, believers vindicated!!!"

Just a thought.
 
Oct 14, 2006
18,093
0
1,155
JohnTinker said:
Part of me would squeal with delight like a schoolgirl if they reveal the "new" Zelda is just new play control Wind Waker.

Oh God the meltdowns, the meltdowns.. so delicious
NPC Wind Waker would be delicious.

Seriously, with fixed up sailing (rather than have to play the wind direction change animation each time you want to turn the ship around, the wind just points in the direction of the Wiimote), expanded dungeons and the two extra dungeons that they cut in the original release, I'd buy it again.
 

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oct 10, 2005
40,623
1
0
36
www.flickr.com
Create larger land masses with islands instead of the game being made purely of island giblets broken into sectors and I'll be on board with that idea.
 

pakkit

Banned
Feb 19, 2008
10,913
0
0
Richmond, VA
Kevin said:
I would love a Wii enhanced Zelda: Wind Waker with new controls and widescreen but I wouldn't want it pushed as the next big Wii Zelda. :lol
REGGIE: The rumors were true...New Zelda!

::applause::

REGGIE: Wind Waker New Play Control!

::vomit::
 

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Jul 29, 2005
22,162
6
1,310
Wrath2X said:
Why reboot Zelda? You can basically make any game, add a couple of reference's to past Zelda's and let the fanboys go wild with speculation.
The whole idea is strange since pretty much every Zelda released to date has been a reboot.
 

camineet

Banned
Mar 30, 2007
8,073
0
0
At this time, it's just about exactly 3.5 days (half a week!) until Nintendo's E3 press conference / media briefing...
When Zelda Wii shall be revealed and fanboys get to go crazy over a Nintendo game, again!
 

Yagharek

Member
Mar 3, 2007
22,786
0
0
I started playing OOT today for the first time (well, first proper time). Never got further ahead than the first dungeon and in this playthrough its where Im up to now.

How the hell do you beat those three things with glowing eyes after you get through the web at the bottom of the tree? :lol
 

goompapa

Member
Jan 3, 2005
338
0
0
pakkit said:
REGGIE: The rumors were true...New Zelda!

::applause::

REGGIE: Wind Waker New Play Control!

::vomit::

Miyamoto has already done this sh1t a few years back.

New zelda !

::Crowd holding their breath::

Pulls out GBA, ALTTP port

::Crowd vomit::
 

timetokill

Banned
Oct 19, 2004
32,834
0
0
Los Angeles, CA
RandomVince said:
How the hell do you beat those three things with glowing eyes after you get through the web at the bottom of the tree? :lol


Seriously? :lol


there's a specific order you have to do it in.
2 3 1
if I recall. One of the deku scrubs should have told you that already.

Use your shield to deflect their projectiles back at them, so that they're hit by the Deku Nut. Then when they pop out, slash them dead with the sword.
 

BlueSummers

Member
Nov 26, 2007
1,376
0
0
camineet said:
At this time, it's just about exactly 3.5 days (half a week!) until Nintendo's E3 press conference / media briefing...
When Zelda Wii shall be revealed and fanboys get to go crazy over a Nintendo game, again!

I really hope they do show a new Zelda game..for your sake. :lol
 

MisterHero

Super Member
Jul 24, 2007
30,524
143
1,495
abload.de
I'm not expecting it because of Spirit Tracks but it would be awesome.

pakkit said:
REGGIE: The rumors were true...New Zelda!

::applause::

REGGIE: Wind Waker New Play Control!

::vomit::
With TP graphics!

available as pre-order gift!

::another EGM rumor comes true::

goompapa said:
Miyamoto has already done this sh1t a few years back.

New zelda !

::Crowd holding their breath::

Pulls out GBA, ALTTP port

::Crowd vomit::
screw you man

four swords is awesome
 

Jackano

Member
Jan 19, 2006
5,228
1
1,280
France
twitter.com
Just to mention, (if this haven't already), regarding the idea of "Spirit Tracks is here and this means likely no other Zelda showing this E3", in 2004, The Minish Cap was already announced for GBA (and with its release date set for late 2004), and you know, Twilight Princess very first trailer was shown too. So, don't forget The Minish Cap ^^
 

MisterHero

Super Member
Jul 24, 2007
30,524
143
1,495
abload.de
Jackano said:
Just to mention, (if this haven't already), regarding the idea of "Spirit Tracks is here and this means likely no other Zelda showing this E3", in 2004, The Minish Cap was already announced for GBA (and with its release date set for late 2004), and you know, Twilight Princess very first trailer was shown too. So, don't forget The Minish Cap ^^
but Capcom was working on Minish Cap whereas Aonuma and friends are making PH/ST

they [Zelda team] could be working on two games at once. They are pretty good.
 
Oct 16, 2005
22,706
0
0
MisterHero said:
but Capcom was working on Minish Cap whereas Aonuma and friends are making PH/ST

they [Zelda team] could be working on two games at once. They are pretty good.

PH was like ten dudes.
 
Jan 22, 2008
31,836
0
0
BlueTsunami said:
Create larger land masses with islands instead of the game being made purely of island giblets broken into sectors and I'll be on board with that idea.

No. Just have the game on land PERIOD. If there are rafts Link needs to use to get to another area, then fine. The cel-shaded graphics had potential for some really unique and cool looking land masses. I've always imagined Link walking through a thick forest with red and yellow leaves everywhere, falling from branches.
 

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apr 14, 2007
47,876
0
1,450
pakkit said:
REGGIE: The rumors were true...New Zelda!



pakkit said:
REGGIE: Wind Waker New Play Control!



camineet said:
At this time, it's just about exactly 3.5 days (half a week!) until Nintendo's E3 press conference / media briefing...
When Zelda Wii shall be revealed and fanboys get to go crazy over a Nintendo game, again!

Seriously, if it isn't shown I hope you're banned.