• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 5 years since the last console ZELDA was revealed. Is it time for another?

wRATH2x

Banned
camineet said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=215814

I'm gonna say 75% chance that Nintendo unveils a new Mario *or* Zelda, with Zelda being much more likely given that Mario Galaxy is much newer than Twilight Princess.
Not gonna happen. But if it does I would be happy, I would still want more than two new games like a new Star Fox/F-Zero/etc. And I know that will never happen :lol

Can't wait till E3 and all the meltdowns.

camineet

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Not gonna happen. But if it does I would be happy, I would still want more than two new games like a new Star Fox/F-Zero/etc. And I know that will never happen :lol

Can't wait till E3 and all the meltdowns.

Why so doubtful ?

Meltdowns were for last year's Nintendo conference. This year will be about joy :D

darkwings said:
I liked Sunshine as well. I had a lot of fun with it and I dont understand the general hate.

Well it took 6 years to come out. It turned out to be one of shortest Mario games ever. It had those damn blue coins and it felt like the entire island was just world 1 and once you beat Bowser you'd go to world 2...except no, it just ended. I think Sunshine is when the GC's fate was sealed.

Woffls

Nintendo had to put more of a focus on the new market back then, now they've established it they have put more effort into 'core' franchises. I'd say that Miyamoto is showing Zelda/Mario to press behind closed doors, and that it will get an announcement by Iwata/Reggie on stage.

As for whether it's Mario or Zelda, I have a feeling that Mario would be more likely for them at the moment because of where they are in the market; it would have to be based on Galaxy though, and could well just be more of the same.

There is actually a very good chance that it's Zelda though. Twilight Princess' development cycle was extended by about a year (?) for Wii implementation and release, so the team could have started developing a new title as early as 2005 because the majority of TP was already complete. In this case I would say that a Zelda sequel is more likely; I would also say that it will be on a new engine entirely and look far better than any of us expect.

Of course what I really want is Lylat Wars 2...

camineet said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=215814

I'm gonna say 75% chance that Nintendo unveils a new Mario *or* Zelda, with Zelda being much more likely given that Mario Galaxy is much newer than Twilight Princess.

Nintendo doesn't have leaks. These guys are taking a logical guess just like anyone on this forum. I can be psychic, too: I predict Activision will announce a new game in one of their biggest franchises, possibly Guitar Hero.

camineet

Banned
Wrath2X said:
I want good news. I'm just not expecting it.

I don't 100% expect Zelda, I just think there's a good chance of it happening.

If we're talking about a new Mario, then no, I would say that probably won't happen this year.

camineet

Banned
Woffls said:
There is actually a very good chance that it's Zelda though. Twilight Princess' development cycle was extended by about a year (?) for Wii implementation and release, so the team could have started developing a new title as early as 2005 because the majority of TP was already complete. In this case I would say that a Zelda sequel is more likely; I would also say that it will be on a new engine entirely and look far better than any of us expect.

I'd say 2005 is a bit too early for them to have started on the next Zelda. I think early 2007 would be when Zelda team started on a new one.

There was a rumor that new Zelda was started in 2005 but that was debunked

wRATH2x

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
Well it took 6 years to come out. It turned out to be one of shortest Mario games ever. It had those damn blue coins and it felt like the entire island was just world 1 and once you beat Bowser you'd go to world 2...except no, it just ended. I think Sunshine is when the GC's fate was sealed.
Sunshine is short yet Galaxy isn't? :lol

Ysiadmihi said:
Me too.

Regarding the talk of "organic" temples, I have to say I didn't realize the ice mansion was a dungeon until I was fighting the boss :lol
I think that's the way things should be in the Zelda games by now. It's so much more exciting to be in an area while wondering "is this a temple, or...?" It mixes things up, and makes things less predictable. I hope the next Zelda does this more; you know, blur the line between overworld and dungeon. I think that's what makes exploring in Metroid so exciting; there's no structure written in stone--it's unpredictable!

I would like Zelda taking this to the next step, though. Why must we always fight a boss at the end of a dungeon? Any why does there have to even be an end to a dungeon? After you visit a town, you still have reasons to come back whether it is to take on a sidequest or just go to a shop or interact with NPCs. I don't think dungeons should act as levels anymore. It's archaic, in my opinion. Make dungeons a part of the overworld with reasons to come back without making it tedious to venture back (like the Ocean King's Temple).

The dungeon structure is boring, predictable, and tired. Enter dungeon, find compass, find map, find boss key, and then fight the boss in the boss room. It takes away from the feeling of discovery when you pretty much know exactly what's going ot happen.

leroidys

beelzebozo said:
ooh, good call on SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS and ICO capturing that sense of loneliness without being wholly slavish to the "eerie isolation" of something like METROID. these definitely had that feeling of exploring a place that was old, ancient, forgotten, and not meant to be disturbed, and that's something that ZELDA could really use again.

i disagree that because SOTC and ICO have tread this ground that ZELDA should not, though. i have a lot of respect for both those games, but they also had some undeniable problems: framerate issues, for one, and though i personally think the control scheme in SOTC is pretty rad once you get the feel for it, i felt similarly about tank controls in the old school RESIDENT EVIL series, so my tendency to have a stockholm syndrome reaction to poor game design choices is not without precedent :lol

anyway, point being: nintendo--particularly this team--does things very polished, very well. and even if they take their cues from another set of games, they would inevitably take those cues and do something triple-a. would you really feel so let down by something in the vein of SOTC with a more fleshed out overworld, several zelda tropes, nods to things from that first game which again only the hardest of hardcore fans would recognize?

don't pretend that wouldn't be dope. it would be dope.

give in to the dopeitude.

Yeah that would be amazing. I just know nintendo won't do that so I'm trying not to get myself too attached to that concept :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Aside from Super Mario Galaxy being released later than Twilight Princess, there's also the minor little fact that Nintendo (for whatever reason) brings out Marios at a far lower rate than Zeldas. I mean did everyone forget that it took them 15 years to make a sequel to Super Mario World?

It's not rocket science people.

darkwings said:
Didn't Nintendo say that they wanted to do something more with Mario galaxy, like an expansion pack game?

Ysiadmihi said:
I certainly hope so.

oh yeah, I'm sure gaf will loooooooooove that....

Then again, Marios are judged at different standards than Zeldas, so that may actually be the case.

jax (old)

Banned
New Mario, Zelda and Wii Fit games at E3?
Wii Rumour | Plus, more fuel added to the Microsoft camera, PSP2 and slimline PS3 rumours.
Financial analysis company Macquarie Research says that Nintendo is planning a big E3, predicting that the Japanese giant will announce the existence of new Mario, Zelda and Wii Fit games for the Wii.

According to the firm Nintendo has 'learnt its lessons' from last year's disappointing conference, and plans to win fans back with the new Mario and Zelda games. Wii Fit Plus, as Macquarie is calling it, will sell both as a standalone game, or bundled in with the balance board for maximum profit.

Unsurprisingly, the company isn't expecting Nintendo to announce a price-cut for the Wii.

Macquarie also chimed in on rumours that Sony will announce a new PSP at E3, predicting that the game will not come with a UMD drive, supporting only downloadable games. In addition to that, the company suspects the console will be priced significantly higher than the current model's USD $199.

As has previously been speculated, a 'slimline' PS3 could also be on the cards for E3, though Macquarie suspects it will still retail at USD $399. A price-cut of USD $100 could happen closer to Christmas, though.

Microsoft weren't left out, with Macquarie stating that it believes the rumoured new motion-sensing camera for the Xbox 360 will be revealed. It doesn't suspect this will fare well, though.

E3 kicks off next week, with Microsoft's press conference getting the ball rolling in the very, very early hours of Tuesday morning AEDST. Sony and Nintendo's conferences will follow a day later

http://palgn.com.au/nintendo-wii/14474/new-mario-zelda-and-wii-fit-games-at-e3/

FUEL TO THIS FIRE

AntMurda

Aside from Super Mario Galaxy being released later than Twilight Princess, there's also the minor little fact that Nintendo (for whatever reason) brings out Marios at a far lower rate than Zeldas. I mean did everyone forget that it took them 15 years to make a sequel to Super Mario World?

Well they did have to alternate between Mario and Yoshi games. And anecdotal evidence from 15 years ago is hardly scientific building blocks for an argument for the Nintendo of today.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
camineet said:
Why so doubtful ?

Meltdowns were for last year's Nintendo conference. This year will be about joy :D

I said the same exact thing a year ago.

Didn't work out so well.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:
I said the same exact thing a year ago.

Didn't work out so well.
I feel the same. I'm kind of excited, but rumors (pretty much confirmed) showings of "Wii Fit Plus" don't really encourage me considering we know we'll see WSR, which I want but I don't want them to focus on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oblivion said:

Super_Mario_World_2_Yoshis_Island_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Less than 4 years.

JaseMath

Andrex said:

Less than 4 years.
Yoshi's Island has never been a "Mario" game. I know it's technically SMW2, but it never felt like that to me; it stands on it's own without the "Mario" attached. I can't be the only one who feels like this, either. Stand with me, GAF!

Varjet

JasonMCG said:
Yoshi's Island has never been a "Mario" game. I know it's technically SMW2, but it never felt like that to me; it stands on it's own without the "Mario" attached. I can't be the only one who feels like this, either. Stand with me, GAF!
I'm with you. The gameplay is just too different from the other Mario games.

Dr.Hadji

JasonMCG said:

No. If the collective wants to accept Doki Doki Panic re-skinned as a Mario game than Yoshi's Island is certainly a Mario game.

Jax said:

I'm getting tired of these no-name websites sparking asinine rumors just before e3. :lol

I think that's the way things should be in the Zelda games by now. It's so much more exciting to be in an area while wondering "is this a temple, or...?" It mixes things up, and makes things less predictable. I hope the next Zelda does this more; you know, blur the line between overworld and dungeon. I think that's what makes exploring in Metroid so exciting; there's no structure written in stone--it's unpredictable!

I would like Zelda taking this to the next step, though. Why must we always fight a boss at the end of a dungeon? Any why does there have to even be an end to a dungeon? After you visit a town, you still have reasons to come back whether it is to take on a sidequest or just go to a shop or interact with NPCs. I don't think dungeons should act as levels anymore. It's archaic, in my opinion. Make dungeons a part of the overworld with reasons to come back without making it tedious to venture back (like the Ocean King's Temple).

The dungeon structure is boring, predictable, and tired. Enter dungeon, find compass, find map, find boss key, and then fight the boss in the boss room. It takes away from the feeling of discovery when you pretty much know exactly what's going ot happen.

I agree with everything you said. Walking into some random cave and finding out that it advances to the plot would be AWESOME.

Oh, and screw the haters. I would love for the next Zelda game to be similiar to SotC. I don't care what anyone says. The feeling of isolation and the only music heard would be cutscenes and the environment alone would be AWESOME. You can easily create a lot of mini games too.

Oblivion

AntMurda said:
Well they did have to alternate between Mario and Yoshi games. And anecdotal evidence from 15 years ago is hardly scientific building blocks for an argument for the Nintendo of today.

It's true that Nintendo may not operate the same way now than they have in the past, but there is little reason to believe that they've changed their policies on Mario games.

Heck, if they didn't make another Mario game during the Gamecube era when they NEEDED one, why the heck would they bother to scramble making another one when they don't need to?

Andrex said:

Less than 4 years.

Nope, sorry.

Vinci

Danish
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh, and screw the haters. I would love for the next Zelda game to be similiar to SotC. I don't care what anyone says. The feeling of isolation and the only music heard would be cutscenes and the environment alone would be AWESOME. You can easily create a lot of mini games too.

As much as I respect Aonuma, he isn't Ueda. SotC and ICO are very particular instances where an individual team shows what they're capable of. The fact that we haven't really seen anyone else try to make a successor to SotC is pretty indicative of that.

Varjet

Dr.Hadji said:
No. If the collective wants to accept Doki Doki Panic re-skinned as a Mario game than Yoshi's Island is certainly a Mario game.
Yeah, but that game didn't spawn its own line of sequels and spin-offs.

Dr.Hadji

Varjet said:
Yeah, but that game didn't spawn its own line of sequels and spin-offs.

So when did we retro-actively strip away SMW2: Yoshi's Island's Mario moniker? Before or after Yoshi's Cookie? Yoshi's Story? Touch and Go? Yoshi's Island DS?

SMB2 is a Mario game where you can't even kill baddies by jumping on their head for crying in the mud. If any game is the odd man out in the series its that weirdo. If SMB2 is in, SMW2 is in.

[Nintex]

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Zelda needs more content in a smaller space, not more space and less content. The problem with TP was that they had this huge world, but it wasn't really interesting. They somehow thought it was a good idea to push the horse aside and give the warp right from the beginning, that indicated that they knew they fucked up the overworld.

Forkball

It's gotta happen. It's just... gotta! 2008 was the first year without a new Zelda title being released. I know we have Spirit Tracks this year, but the gap is too long. I know the gap between LttP and OoT was seven years, but I doubt we will ever see a gap like that between sequels again (as long as they aren't developed by Blizzard). OoT to MM was what, two years? Then three years to Wind Waker and three more years to TP. They HAVE to announce it now, even if it won't be released until 2010.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Everyone keeps talking about wanting a new Mario and Zelda, but what about the other Nintendo franchises? It's been 10 years since there was a Donkey Kong game, over 5 for F-Zero and 4 years since a StarFox game. I love Mario and Zelda, but am I the only one here that would rather see something else? I just think the other games deserve a shot as well. Sin and Punishment 2 is the game I'm lookig forward to the most for Wii because it's been 10 years since the original.

[Nintex]

They have to announce it for a different reason, investors and shareholders. They've seen Iwata buy Monolith Soft, spend $370 million on R&D, expand Retro Studios, buy land for a new building, invest in Project SORA and they're also aware that Nintendo has NST, EAD, EAD Tokyo, IntSys, HAL Lab, Game Freak and Genious Sonority among others on their payroll. That leaves them with a question:
"If your system is the most popular out there, why not release software that'll sell gangbusters, based on your popular IP's?"

It's not just gamers asking for more, the investors are wondering what the hell Nintendo is doing with all their resources and money, why have 3000+ employees and 12+ sstudios when you're only able to release two in-house developed games a year?

Vinci

Danish
[Nintex] said:
Zelda needs more content in a smaller space, not more space and less content. The problem with TP was that they had this huge world, but it wasn't really interesting.

This. The greatest Zelda games were the ones that packed tons of content into every square inch of room. Trying to go epic has actually forced them away from this, but it's something they should really try to figure out. There needs to be a balance between these two things: Epic size and epic content.

Azure J

MadOdorMachine said:
Everyone keeps talking about wanting a new Mario and Zelda, but what about the other Nintendo franchises? It's been 10 years since there was a Donkey Kong game, over 5 for F-Zero and 4 years since a StarFox game. I love Mario and Zelda, but am I the only one here that would rather see something else? I just think the other games deserve a shot as well. Sin and Punishment 2 is the game I'm lookig forward to the most for Wii because it's been 10 years since the original.

I'm with you on this (see the E3 thread), but just wanted to point out that Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on Wii or GCN is the best damned platformer not named Super Mario Galaxy. :lol

Also, in regards to Zelda, I think I'm the only one around who really wants Nintendo to just say fuck you to the fans and do what they want with the series. Whenever they did that, we got amazing things (Majora's Mask, The Windwaker, even Twilight Princess to an extent).

I also wouldn't mind a return to the man against the world concept of Zelda 1. :D

Azure J

Vinci said:
I would kill for a new StarTropics game. Kill.

God damn it Vinci, stop being awesome. I'm still of the belief that StarTropics on the Wii is a match made in heaven. Action Adventure Platforming? Check. Interesting gameplay mechanics? Mike's yo-yo. Possibility for awesome MotionPlus applications and puzzles? Fuck yeah. Awesome scenario and settings? You are an American kid screwing around on archeological digs in the tropics. Come on now, better material couldn't fall into a person's lap without blowing them. :lol

DO IT PLEASE NINTENDO.

in this thread i've learned that Super Mario World 2 is in fact not a sequel to Super Mario World.

I just want New Super Mario Bros 2, taking what NSMB did for SMB and doing the same for SMB2USA

Jasoco

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
This.

Yoshi's Island is as much a Mario game as SMB2 USA.

But then there's the question of where does Yoshi's Story fit in? Or Yoshi's Island 2? If they don't fit as Mario Brothers sequels, then they're sequels to Yoshi's Island... which would make Yoshi's Island NOT a sequel to Mario World.

Oh the Hugh Grantity.

Oblivion

Dr.Hadji said:
So when did we retro-actively strip away SMW2: Yoshi's Island's Mario moniker?

But the Mario moniker was placed on YI by NoA (obviously to give it a bit more marketing muscle). It was just called Yoshi's Island in Japan iirc.

Jasoco said:
This.

Yoshi's Island is as much a Mario game as SMB2 USA.

But then there's the question of where does Yoshi's Story fit in? Or Yoshi's Island 2? If they don't fit as Mario Brothers sequels, then they're sequels to Yoshi's Island... which would make Yoshi's Island NOT a sequel to Mario World.

Oh the Hugh Grantity.
Same problem with Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and the subsequent Wario Land series.

Chatin

If we are discounting Yoshi's Island, then it was only a five year break between Super Mario World, and it's successor, Super Mario 64. New Super Mario Bros. is no more a sequel to Super Mario World than Super Mario 64.

On the odds of a Mario or Zelda Wii title being shown: I'd lean towards Mario, simply because Zelda will already be present as a DS title. I wouldn't count on either title being shown for the Wii, though.

laserbeam

Banned
Zelda Wii will be shown and have a Summer 2010 release only to get delayed til fall 2011 with the launch of the WiiHD.

Mario Will be shown and have a Fall 2009 release and pushed back til spring 2010

Sydle

I just hope it's a reinvented Zelda. Twilight Princess was not a good experience for me for a number of reasons, but mostly because I'm bored of the formula.

MadOdorMachine said:
I agree with these sentiments. Nintendo should give other franchises that haven't even made it to the Wii once a chance before letting Zelda double dip. Although I suppose Spirit Tracks is double dipping before other franchises that haven't made it to DS yet have had their turn...

There's been very little activity from Nintendo telling us what to expect. Given how bad their show went last year and the firefighting they were doing in interviews afterwards last year -- part of me thinks they would have told us by now to NOT expect a Zelda if they didn't have something of that ilk.

As a result, I'm thinking they either have Zelda or they have something equally epic. Perhaps Kid Icarus or something.

Varjet

viciouskillersquirrel said:
EDIT: Last night while playing TP, I
killed the four Poes at the entrance to the Arbiters' Grounds. Holy shit this game is awesome!
Did you already get that dungeon's item?

Oblivion

viciouskillersquirrel said:
About $30 for it and another game.

EDIT: Last night while playing TP, I
killed the four Poes at the entrance to the Arbiters' Grounds. Holy shit this game is awesome!

Dude, just wait til you get the item in that dungeon (if you haven't already). It gets holy shit fuck awesome!!!11 after that. One of the most creative Zelda dungeons ever imo, and probably my favorite in the game aside from the 7th one.

Top Bottom