• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 5 years since the last console ZELDA was revealed. Is it time for another?

Azure J

viciouskillersquirrel said:
About $30 for it and another game.

EDIT: Last night while playing TP, I
killed the four Poes at the entrance to the Arbiters' Grounds. Holy shit this game is awesome!

Wait for
City In The Sky.
You will shit bricks. :lol

Varjet said:
Did you already get that dungeon's item?
Not yet. It was getting late by the time I killed that final Poe, so I saved and quit.
I wasted a bit of time ninja-ing my way around the grounds of the fortress, trying to figure out how to break in. I didn't see the last guy I was meant to kill for the key to the pig pen until I'd been playing for at least three quarters of an hour.

camineet

Banned
Vinci said:
This. The greatest Zelda games were the ones that packed tons of content into every square inch of room. Trying to go epic has actually forced them away from this, but it's something they should really try to figure out. There needs to be a balance between these two things: Epic size and epic content.

I'd love to see somewhat smaller, tighter Zelda games with tremendous content.
I think Zelda Wii should be a trilogy-each game somewhat smaller than Twilight Princess, but the sum of all 3 would ultimately be larger. Yet you're starting off with one game released that seems smaller than TP by quite a bit, made up for with more content,

camineet

Banned
laserbeam said:
Zelda Wii will be shown and have a Summer 2010 release only to get delayed til fall 2011 with the launch of the WiiHD.

Mario Will be shown and have a Fall 2009 release and pushed back til spring 2010

I think Zelda will be shown for Wii, it'll be set for a Christmas 2010 release, get delayed until fall 2011.

Mario won't be shown until E3 2010, is set for a Summer/Fall 2011 release, but gets delayed until 2012 for Wii HD.

I really don't think its time for another unless they are actually going to do something quite new for a change. Twilight Princess was too much "minor variations on the Zelda theme" for me to get into it.

This might sound like a stupid question, but one thing I never understood was - what exactly is the Sacred/Golden Realm? Is it a parallel world or is it just the physical room the Triforce is kept in?

I always assumed it was a parallel world with gates to Hyrule in different places (that would eventually get temples built around the portals). I always assumed that it
became corrupted by Ganondorf in OoT and became the Dark World in the Adult Timeline. The Twilight Realm, with its golden sky, seems to be this Golden Realm, but then I think "That makes no sense - why would the Twili have been banished to the very Golden Realm they were trying to break into?"

Is the Golden Realm a different place to the Twilight Realm?

I'm also assuming that Ganon is the "great god" Zant started worshipping. What role he plays, I don't know, but he's probably responsible for the corruption of the Twilight Realm.

camineet

Banned
Foil said:
moreyouknow.jpg

:lol

Ekgar

Banned
Any core game in their library but Pikmin would be great. (Pikmin w/ waggle controls sux). I really want a new Starfox, more than Zelda.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From the Nintendo Voice Chat thread:

Zelda rumors

- Heard crazy rumblings last week
- NOTHING IS CONFIRMED, NO LONGER TRUE
- 95% sure this was true at one time
- A year plus ago, Retro Studios was doing the new Zelda or doing something big with it
- For one reason or another that’s not the case anymore they don’t believe
- Not working on it anymore

- Got reliable info, there were internet rumors at one point
- This is a rumor, really good rumor, since has been debunked that they’re working on it
- They are not making that game anymore

viciouskillersquirrel said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but one thing I never understood was - what exactly is the Sacred/Golden Realm? Is it a parallel world or is it just the physical room the Triforce is kept in?

I always assumed it was a parallel world with gates to Hyrule in different places (that would eventually get temples built around the portals). I always assumed that it
became corrupted by Ganondorf in OoT and became the Dark World in the Adult Timeline. The Twilight Realm, with its golden sky, seems to be this Golden Realm, but then I think "That makes no sense - why would the Twili have been banished to the very Golden Realm they were trying to break into?"

Is the Golden Realm a different place to the Twilight Realm?

I'm also assuming that Ganon is the "great god" Zant started worshipping. What role he plays, I don't know, but he's probably responsible for the corruption of the Twilight Realm.

The Sacred Realm is a completely other realm that became the Triforce's resting place after the three goddesses finished their labors and created Hyrule. That's one pretty accepted explanation.

As for answering your spoiler, the race in question was not banished to the Sacred Realm. The other realm you mentioned is not the Sacred Realm. The Sacred Realm only becomes corrupted when Ganon has the Triforce (in whole or part). You'd only seal somebody in the realm with the Triforce if that was the last resort, as it was in A Link to the Past's backstory about Ganon's forces overwhelming Hyrule, and the Seven Sages sealing him and his evil away in the Dark World he came from.

IGN Voice Chat Podcast said:
Zelda rumors

- A year plus ago, Retro Studios was doing the new Zelda or doing something big with it
- This is a rumor, really good rumor, since has been debunked that they’re working on it

Shigeru Miyamoto @ E3 2008 said:
"The Zelda team in particular always works on Zelda titles. The core members of the Zelda team have for a very long time now been focused on Zelda games, and continue to focus on Zelda games, so they are hard at work and working away," Miyamoto said. "And then, of course, we have the DS Zelda team as well, so even there we're having some switching of people in and out where the DS team is mixing in with the Wii team and working on the Wii version."

Doesn't outright disprove the claim Retro worked on it, but the public answer last July was the Zelda Team (Aonuma's teams) were working on Zelda Wii and DS, not Retro.

Meesh

Zelda rumors

Obviously damage control, obviously...right?

TSA said:
The Sacred Realm is a completely other realm that became the Triforce's resting place after the three goddesses finished their labors and created Hyrule. That's one pretty accepted explanation.

As for answering your spoiler, the race in question was not banished to the Sacred Realm. The other realm you mentioned is not the Sacred Realm. The Sacred Realm only becomes corrupted when Ganon has the Triforce (in whole or part). You'd only seal somebody in the realm with the Triforce if that was the last resort, as it was in A Link to the Past's backstory about Ganon's forces overwhelming Hyrule, and the Seven Sages sealing him and his evil away in the Dark World he came from.
Ah. Incidentally, I have LttP's Dark World theme playing in my head.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Even if a console Zelda is announced, it will still be a whiles away from release. If I were working at Nintendo corporate, I wouldn't hype anyone up on a Zelda until some decent amount of time after Zelda: Spirit Tracks to avoid cannibalizing the game or turning anyone off from it. :D So I say no Zelda announcement until 2010.

Vinci

Danish
At this point, I'd honestly prefer Kid Icarus be the M+ game. Let Zelda brew a bit longer; it needs a good revising and a fresh direction.

bdouble

Andrex said:
Did they just admit they got reliable info from internet rumors?
No you need to listen to it.

Basically they were tipped off that this was rumored from their sources. At the same time these rumors started to fly around the internet.
They are now very sure they are not making Zelda.

My theory: They were taken off and it turned into something else. Nintendo took off the leash and let the beast go.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Whatever Nintendo does, they shouldn't go out of their way to make Link a little kid then stuff in a bunch of creepy sexual innuendo under the guise of matching kinstones together.

Nintendo should remake OoT and MM. It will never top the game design of these titles, ever. TP looked great but the game design was so far below the mechanics of OoT and MM that I really disliked the game soon after I obtained the Master Sword and realised that this Hyrule was very barren.

The same goes for Metroid Prime -- I loved the first one. But compared to the game design of Super Metroid it fell short. Some mechanics that make Super Metroid (imho) -- even today -- the best video game of all time weren't translated to this new iteration.

Nintendo needs to see this. Some games cannot be topped ever. The movie industry has learned this lesson: they are remaking everything -- for good or worse. Fox is doing remakes for Alien and Predator (now Predators). Because it knows it can never top these movies.

Zelda had it's wonder years in the 80's and 90's and peeked with MM -- I can only imagine what Clock Town can look like with a contemporary graphic design that the Wii can handle. When a new Zelda is announced people expect an OoT experience. I don't think Nintendo can deliver that anymore. They are not that innovative either. It's nice it has that Wii thing going for it but where will Ninty be in five years from now? We need new ip's not the same old over and over again. And if you can't deliver, remake it then with the best possible resources at your disposal.

Vinci

Danish
TheKingOfSheep said:
Nintendo needs to see this. Some games cannot be topped ever. The movie industry has learned this lesson: they are remaking everything -- for good or worse. Fox is doing remakes for Alien and Predator (now Predators). Because it knows it can never top these movies.

I think the videogame industry is taking notes from Hollywood enough, thanks. And the last thing any company needs to do is follow this pattern. Every year, we get movies that are new and worth viewing from various directors or production companies. The fact that other sources have deemed it necessary to regurgitate one damn thing after another isn't a sign of how strong the prior films were but of the lack of talent present in those places or how short-sighted and valueless their execs are not to recognize it.

Dr.Hadji

Zelda rumor said:
Zelda rumors

Funny, my buddy in Austin told me something along these lines. Retro working on a Shiek game. This was more than a year ago though.

MadOdorMachine said:
Everyone keeps talking about wanting a new Mario and Zelda, but what about the other Nintendo franchises? It's been 10 years since there was a Donkey Kong game, over 5 for F-Zero and 4 years since a StarFox game. I love Mario and Zelda, but am I the only one here that would rather see something else? I just think the other games deserve a shot as well. Sin and Punishment 2 is the game I'm lookig forward to the most for Wii because it's been 10 years since the original.

Say what? Mario and Donkey Kong 1 and 2 don't count? Those are truer Donkey Kong games than Rare's efforts ever were, which were more Mario-derived than anything.

zoukka

Tried to play Phantom Hourglass yesterday again and I just... can't... do it.

The only Zelda that turns me off. I NEED A NEW 3D ZELDA :()

Dascu

Dr.Hadji said:
Funny, my buddy in Austin told me something along these lines. Retro working on a Shiek game. This was more than a year ago though.
Ahhh, so that's what Surfergirl was talking about. She (?) said it was a spin-off, not a mainline Zelda title.

Vinci

Danish
Dascu said:
Ahhh, so that's what Surfergirl was talking about. She (?) said it was a spin-off, not a mainline Zelda title.

Okay, a Midna or Shiek game. Either would work. I love Shiek.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dr.Hadji said:

Well, damn. Mystery solved!

Wonder what became of it.

Shiggy

Dascu said:

If it really was cancelled, then probably when the Armature guys left. Nintendo didn't want Retro to have too much creative freedom - that might have been a problem.

Vinci said:
At this point, I'd honestly prefer Kid Icarus be the M+ game. Let Zelda brew a bit longer; it needs a good revising and a fresh direction.
I still can't get how people say this. TP is a good example of why more time =/= new ideas and fresh direction. (still the best 3D LoZ to date in my book . . . but still)

If they had these new ideas when they were making TP than they wouldn't have been grasping at straws, reusing old ideas via Wolf Link to get the team energized over something (and they were asking for more time in the process).

leroidys

TheKingOfSheep said:
Nintendo should remake OoT and MM. It will never top the game design of these titles, ever. TP looked great but the game design was so far below the mechanics of OoT and MM that I really disliked the game soon after I obtained the Master Sword and realised that this Hyrule was very barren.

The same goes for Metroid Prime -- I loved the first one. But compared to the game design of Super Metroid it fell short. Some mechanics that make Super Metroid (imho) -- even today -- the best video game of all time weren't translated to this new iteration.

Zelda had it's wonder years in the 80's and 90's and peeked with MM -- I can only imagine what Clock Town can look like with a contemporary graphic design that the Wii can handle. When a new Zelda is announced people expect an OoT experience. I don't think Nintendo can deliver that anymore. They are not that innovative either. It's nice it has that Wii thing going for it but where will Ninty be in five years from now? We need new ip's not the same old over and over again. And if you can't deliver, remake it then with the best possible resources at your disposal.

Uhhh no. The game mechanics, as in combat and puzzle solving and boss fights, are way better in TP. Yes the world is more barren, that's not a game mechanic though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Its nice to see a lot of people are in favor of a reboot. This is a really quick and rough idea of how it could be done and kind of how Id like to see it go down, if it ever did:

1st: Combine and alter the plots of Zelda 1 and 2 into one, with some bits stolen from OoT and others, so combined it sets the foundations of the series, ie the actual "Legend of Zelda," the Triforce and the Links and Zeldas and so on, make this game the relative starting point for it all. Keep the general outline of Link first stopping Ganon to free Hyrule but then having to awaken the sleeping Princess Zelda and the restoring all pieces of the triforce to completely save Hyrule. I think another starting point like Ordon village, but done better, would be nice and fitting since Link is supposed to have come from a land to the west called Calatia. Really try and flesh out each of the main characters, who they are, what motivates them, etc and flesh out the lore and history of the world so that it can be referenced and built upon with certainty in sequels.

2nd: Base or try to match in scope/diversity the overworld of the first two games matching it with modern day standards with some updates and nods to other games in the series. As well make the entire overworld seamless, few if any load times, stream it all. Make the dungeons blend into the world as real places, some can be areas or structures Ganon's forces have taken over or are old ruins that have fallen apart, just dont make everything so cut and dry or linear. For the first 1/3 or 1/2 or so of the game you get the sparse, barren and mysteries lands/ruins of Zelda 1, but then in the later part of the game the entire north opens up with numerous towns and cities with plenty of NPCs to interact with. Again maintain this new general Hyrule overworld for sequels, its large enough and diverse enough to host future adventure.

3rd: Make the atmosphere and tone of the game reflect the original artwork. Link has found himself in a dangerous and mysterious land, fraught with danger and uncertainty at every turn and with few allies to come to his aid. There are constant threats and perils to overcome in the wildernesses, ruins, towns, castles and more so the look and mood of the world and people in it should reflect that, including the progress made or lost in improving the situation. Ganon has a whole army, one boy cant just overtake him single-handedly so show some relation for Link's progress, make the world feel alive and aware of the events taking place.

4th: Dont let the story and plot be very heavy handed. The most powerful moments in 3D Zelda games havent been those with a lot of dialogue or were long and drawn out, they were simple and almost completely silent scenes with great music, facial expressions and camera angles. Its important to maintain the integrity of the plot and keeping it cohesive and believable but that doesnt mean it needs a lot of dialogue and cutscenes. As well maintaining that integrity and cohesion normally means a more linear story, which is OK to a degree, but again too much can be a bad thing, try and make the plot scenes as modular as possible so that the player can tackle them and experience them at their own pace and order. Hopefully there will be voice acting, but again hopefully Nintendo wont over do it, leave Link out and try and leave out the monologues unless theyre entertaining and necessary.

5th: Limit the number of items to only a handful, or at least base the majority of the game around a core few items that are acquired relatively early on and are upgraded and expanded upon throughout the game. Really maximize the usefulness of these core items and allow for and reward experimentation with them in combat, exploration and puzzle solving. Try and allow for multiple solutions in combat, normal fights or boss battles, and puzzles, once again dont make things so cut and dry. Think of these items and Links other standard abilities like Mario's core moveset, make these the foundation for Link so that by the end of the game everyone whose played that far has a mastery over them all, with then those tertiary items/move there for personal style.

Theres probably a dozen other things I would add to this, but this is already long and unpolished as it is so Im gonna leave it at that.

Blackhead

Redarse
Enduin said:
5th: Limit the number of items to only a handful, or at least base the majority of the game around a core few items that are acquired relatively early on and are upgraded and expanded upon throughout the game. Really maximize the usefulness of these core items and allow for and reward experimentation with them in combat, exploration and puzzle solving. Try and allow for multiple solutions in combat, normal fights or boss battles, and puzzles, once again dont make things so cut and dry. Think of these items and Links other standard abilities like Mario's core moveset, make these the foundation for Link so that by the end of the game everyone whose played that far has a mastery over them all, with then those tertiary items/move there for personal style.

Theres probably a dozen other things I would add to this, but this is already long and unpolished as it is so Im gonna leave it at that.
:( I hate in when you get two, three hookshots in the game where the only difference is the it stretchs 'longer'. I could buy rope myself and just tie it on or whatever.

The other ideas are good though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Charred Greyface said:
:( I hate in when you get two, three hookshots in the game where the only difference is the it stretchs 'longer'. I could buy rope myself and just tie it on or whatever.

The other ideas are good though.

True, but the double hookshot was badass in TP and if they really tried I bet they could come up with some other meaningful upgrades for the hookshot besides length. Maybe something like a whip action to grab a distant object and then allow us throw it, they dont need to force upgrades on it, just utilizing it to its fullest is my wish.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
How to make the next Zelda game (in my opnion)

1. Make the graphics the best wii can offer.
2. Take the wii motion control to the limit, using wii motion plus, and if you have it the wii fitness board
3.FULL orchestra music, along with voice acting. Give link a voice and get it over with.
4. A theme that is as epic as time travel like in Oot.

5. Pull a hideo kojima, and play as a different character the 2nd half od the game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
[Nintex] said:
I like how everyone ignores Spirit Tracks(Link on a train lols), Nintendo seems to be out of sync with their fans.

How so? Just in general, in terms of rebooting or the basic direction fans want the series to take? Cause this thread is about just the console side of the series, which is vastly different from the handhelds, so it doesnt really factor in at all.

[Nintex]

Enduin said:
How so? Just in general, in terms of rebooting or the basic direction fans want the series to take? Cause this thread is about just the console side of the series, which is vastly different from the handhelds, so it doesnt really factor in at all.
If EAD is developing with Aonuma at the helm, we will get a console Zelda that's like Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass(shitty). Retro's games might not have been anyone's cup of tea but at least it would've added some new ideas. I like how Iwata said: "Nintendo isn't doing sequels blah blah blah" when the only EAD games currently known: Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and Zelda Spirit Tracks are just that, cash-in sequels.

Haunted

[Nintex] said:
I like how everyone ignores Spirit Tracks(Link on a train lols), Nintendo seems to be out of sync with their fans.
In what way?

I think it looks great, I'm not sure the train will be as appealing as the sailing portion of PH was (especially since the vehicle gameplay looked near-identical), but I loved PH and this looks to be more of the same good stuff with a couple new items thrown into the mix.

It's just that most gamers separate the series into handheld and console iterations (even though they're all mainline titles), which is what this thread is about.

[Nintex] said:
If EAD is developing with Aonuma at the helm, we will get a console Zelda that's like Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass(shitty). Retro's games might not have been anyone's cup of tea but at least it would've added some new ideas. I like how Iwata said: "Nintendo isn't doing sequels blah blah blah" when the only EAD games currently known: Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and Zelda Spirit Tracks are just that, cash-in sequels.
No, just no.

Dr.Hadji

[Nintex] said:

Why do people keep on saying this. Weren't Primes new features (lock-on targeting, and scanning) ideas given to them by the Japan Nintendo component? That and the Prime series hasn't changed as much as Zelda as over the past few iterations.

From the future this one is. Please tell me all about Zelda ST.

Haunted said:
No, just no.

And this.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
[Nintex] said:

I dont really need to add much more than whats already been said. But I will.

The handheld games have never had any bearing on what their console counterpart might be. It has since their start been that the more cartoony and fanciful tone and style fits the handheld games and they are better suited to maintain the great structure and gameplay of the 2D Zeldas that no longer is needed or works with the 3D console series.

And regardless of that PH was a great game, even if the TotOC wasnt, and ST will more than likely build off that foundation it created. As well Aonuma has done a pretty good job heading Zelda they just need to stop Miyamoto from upending his tea table all the time and making them change things all around.

Top Bottom