• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 5 years since the last console ZELDA was revealed. Is it time for another?

camineet

Banned
Why I'd want a Twilight Princess II (it's only one set of many different possibilities for the next Wii Zelda) is stuff like the above was not in the actual released game:

920769_112304_screen001.jpg

920769_20050310_790screen011.jpg

920769_20040511_790screen003.jpg

920769_20040511_790screen004.jpg

920769_20050310_790screen001.jpg

920769_20050310_790screen002.jpg

leroidys

camineet said:
Why I'd want a Twilight Princess II (it's only one set of many different possibilities for the next Wii Zelda) is stuff like the above was not in the actual released game:

Yep. We should start a Twilight Princess Defense Force.

Vinci

Danish
leroidys said:

Isn't there already one? I didn't have any issues with TP, though I prefer the earlier games in the series. It was a good 3D Zelda.

Davey Cakes

To be honest, I can't believe that people don't think it's even viable that we'd get a Zelda Wii announcement soon.

I mean, Twilight Princess was pretty much done in 2005. It was delayed in order to be fitted to the Wii and also to maybe get a little more polish. That's it. The game could've come out as a very similar experience to what we got at a little over two years after Wind Waker.

And remember, we were teased about Wind Waker at SpaceWorld 2001. That's one year after Majora's Mask. The game released in late 2002 in Japan.

Majora's Mask came only two years after OOT. Granted, the game could be considered an expansion pack.

But think about it. We got what was mostly a Gamecube Zelda game back in 2006. It's now 2009, and even if you extend the typical development cycle for Zelda games, it's still very much a possibility for a new Wii Zelda to come out in 2010. So, why is it so impossible for Nintendo to tease the game one year early? Zelda is a major franchise and garners a lot of hype. I think Nintendo knows this. Why would they wait until the year of release to get the hype train started?

And hell, I'm not even saying that they will announce anything. I just feel that an announcement is far more viable than some people make it out to be, considering that console Zelda games, on average, have been releasing within three years of each other, and it's been almost three years since Twilight Princess' release without even an official announcement!

Sometimes I just think that you folks can't grasp that it's already nearly Summer 2009. Time's flying, and you need to catch up.

GamerSoul

Watch them reveal like Wii-Motion Plus:Link Sword/Fishing Training to screw with us.

Question: Would anyone be content with them trying to expand the series in different ways on the Wii? And i'm not talking about only with Training stuff.

leroidys said:
Hey, if the ending of Twilight Princess is anything half as good as the OMFGAWESOME that was the Arbiter's Grounds (and the music in the
mirror chamber - OMG!
), then I'll be right there on the front lines.

When I first got the item in that dungeon, I was like "WTF? That is so lame!" And then, I got to the next room :D

laserbeam

Banned
With Mario Wii being there I dont think were gonna get a Zelda reveal :(

Though if Nintendo wants to makeup for last year Mario,Zelda,Pikmin all announced and shown would make a nice treat

Davey Cakes

Twilight Princess shouldn't need a defense force.

It's one of the best Zelda games, bar none. In terms of the 3D games, it's a better-designed game than OOT overall, and it delivers more and better dungeons than Wind Waker. I can understand not liking the game as much as some of the others (whether it being a case of nostalgia for OOT, a case of really digging Wind Waker's style and presentation, or a case of loving Majora's Mask's abstract approach), but anyone who truly dislikes or hates the game just seems to come off as bitter that they were given what the fans asked for instead of being given what they asked for.

Yeah, I want Majora's Mask 2 as well, but you take what you can get. Twilight Princess is an excellent game that just happens to feel relatively uninspired at times (since it was pretty much always meant to be OOT2), but that doesn't mean it deserves hate to the point where people have to make a defense force for it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
GamerSoul said:
Question: Would anyone be content with them trying to expand the series in different ways on the Wii? And i'm not talking about only with Training stuff.

Like in what ways? Side stories with Zelda/Sheik or like non-traditional Zeldas that arent Action Adventures but some other genre?

camineet said:

Ah, Aonuma's Twilight Princess.

Different enough that I'd really want to play it one day.

laserbeam said:
With Mario Wii being there I dont think were gonna get a Zelda reveal :(

Though if Nintendo wants to makeup for last year Mario,Zelda,Pikmin all announced and shown would make a nice treat

Actually, with so many Nintendo games bunched up in the first half of the Wii's life, and so few in more recent times, it would make perfect sense for them to show new games from the teams that had relatively early Wii releases (the Galaxy team, the Zelda team, Retro, etc), as they'd be a ways along now.

But I'm not holding my breath. I'm so pessimistic towards Nintendo these days that I almost expect worse than no announcements, by which I mean announcements that all the premier teams are working on, say, Wii Music 2, Mario Galaxy Party, Link's Sword Training (with WM+ support), and so on...games that lack substance, even if they're good.

I want something I can really sink my teeth into, something big. Basically, I want Zelda.

Davey Cakes

rainer516 said:
We already got Majora's Mask 2. It was called Phantom Hourglass and it freaking rocked.
Nah. That was Wind Waker 2.

PH didn't reach the same abstract level as MM, which is why I still believe MM is a truly unique experience in terms of Zelda games, even if it borrows from OOT.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The game could be Twilight Princess' Majora's Mask, that would make me a happy boi.
Let us revisit Termina :(

Touchdown

Banned
I can't wait for new zelda news, I don't even really need a new game to be announced. I'd just be happy with more details on spirit tracks. Oh yeah, been playing Majora's Mask on virtual console the last few days, love it love it love it. I love the characters of clock-town. My first play-through on n64 I was so proud as I was able to obtain the fierce deity mask, but I doubt Ill have the time and will to get all the masks this time through.

leroidys

ShockingAlberto said:
Ah, Aonuma's Twilight Princess.

Different enough that I'd really want to play it one day.

I didn't follow TPs development very closely. What was so different about Aonuma's version?

Think about it...all Nintendo has to do is dim the lights, play like 10 seconds of the Zelda theme, and have a Triforce logo burn in and then fade out, and then say "Coming Soon", and the internet would explode. That would be awesome trolling.

Man, I still have to finish OoT. I got pushed off a ledge in the Shadow Temple by a stalfos and turned it off. Then I moved house and I haven't plugged my Gamecube back in (I'd play it on my Wii, but it's an NTSC Wii whereas the game is the PAL version and GeckoOS doesn't play nice with PAL GCN games).

leroidys said:
I didn't follow TPs development very closely. What was so different about Aonuma's version?
There were a number of things shown that had the same basic concepts in TP, but were just plain...different. In the Iwata Asks for TP, Miyamoto said he played that version, didn't like it, and it was changed to what we have today.

In the previous demos and trailers, there was for example an ability to communicate (or in general interact with) various animals while in human form, some sort of giant wooden creature in the forest, a black and white Twilight realm, being chased down a cave by Gohma, a monster graveyard in the rain, etc.

The Hermit

^^

I didn´t knew that.
It could explain why the trailer and initial pics made me more excited than the whole game.

When Zelda Wii does get announced (and I'm not saying it'll get announced Wednesday morning*), is anyone doing like me and cheering at the sight of the first trailer and art, followed by a total media blackout?

I did that for Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and I'm currently doing it for Spirit Tracks. I just find that I enjoy the experience more if I go in completely blind.

For those of you in the Americas, I live about 8 - 10 hours in the glorious future. We have flying cars here.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
When Zelda Wii does get announced (and I'm not saying it'll get announced Wednesday morning*), is anyone doing like me and cheering at the sight of the first trailer and art, followed by a total media blackout?

No. Unlike you, I'm going to have sex with my GF.

. I want all the info possible. MOAR IZ BETTER!

Rash said:
Twilight Princess shouldn't need a defense force.

It's one of the best Zelda games, bar none. In terms of the 3D games, it's a better-designed game than OOT overall, and it delivers more and better dungeons than Wind Waker. I can understand not liking the game as much as some of the others (whether it being a case of nostalgia for OOT, a case of really digging Wind Waker's style and presentation, or a case of loving Majora's Mask's abstract approach), but anyone who truly dislikes or hates the game just seems to come off as bitter that they were given what the fans asked for instead of being given what they asked for.

Thank you. TP is my favorite 3D Zelda of all time as well.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
No. Unlike you, I'm going to have sex with my GF.

. I want all the info possible. MOAR IZ BETTER!
Bu bu bu bu bu... it's my birthday today ;_;

I just tend not to participate in the hype frenzy for the really big games. I went into Mario Galaxy completely raw, for instance, but I hyped the hell out of Order of Ecclesia and am hyping A Boy and His Blob, because these games honestly need it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Baiano19 said:
^^

I didn´t knew that.
It could explain why the trailer and initial pics made me more excited than the whole game.

Yeah, because of that I would kind of like Miyamoto to go on his merry way and stick with his more recent projects and creating new IPs and let others handle the older franchises like Zelda, cause regardless of his ideas and style he simply does not have the time necessary for a game like Zelda anymore, hes moved far beyond that role now.

Aonuma did an amazing job with MM and from what Ive gathered Miyamoto was not that involved at all with the game, but then with TP Miyamoto stepped in big time late in development and upended the tea table a lot because Nintendo wanted the game to be a Wii launch title. TP was still a great game but for me at least it ends up being one of those "could have been" games, what was there was awesome but lacked that awe inspiring punch OoT or MM had and so what was left out was interesting and enticing enough to make me wonder and wish it wasnt changed.

MM was just freaking genius. Being able to transform into actual creatures to solve puzzles and the masks. Sure a lot of them weren't useful, but the giant mask was cool, lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bu bu bu bu bu... it's my birthday today ;_;

¡Feliz cumpleaños güey! =D

I just tend not to participate in the hype frenzy for the really big games. I went into Mario Galaxy completely raw, for instance, but I hyped the hell out of Order of Ecclesia and am hyping A Boy and His Blob, because these games honestly need it.

I took SMG raw too. It felt like love. <3

evilromero said:
Nintendo should grow some balls and drop Zelda from the title. Legend of Balls and Dick.

Why would they do that? Just because they can? Should they drop "Super Mario" from the series' titles?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
JohnTinker said:
But where will this new Zelda fit in the canon timeline!

Reboot yo. Forget the old "timeline" its time to make a new one that actually exists and works without the need of ridiculous fan logic.

TSA said:
Think about it...all Nintendo has to do is dim the lights, play like 10 seconds of the Zelda theme, and have a Triforce logo burn in and then fade out, and then say "Coming Soon", and the internet would explode. That would be awesome trolling.

Before they even bring anyone on they should dim the lights and then...

Triforce.gif

TheGrayGhost said:
Why would they do that? Just because they can? Should they drop "Super Mario" from the series' titles?
It's not called "Super Peach" is it? No. She has her own damn game.

But where will this new Zelda fit in the canon timeline!
Bad omen. Bad omen.

Josh7289

camineet said:

Maybe except for that second image, now I remember why I was so hyped up for TP. They promised an open world.

But didn't deliver. :(

And the kitties are adorable.

Meesh

camineet said:
Why I'd want a Twilight Princess II (it's only one set of many different possibilities for the next Wii Zelda) is stuff like the above was not in the actual released game

I was pretty let down when none of that stuff made it, Links relationship with animals and nature would have been closer, and more akin to the feeling of a little boy growing up in Kokiri forest as in Ocarina. In this kind of obscure way, I think TP was close to Ocarina in spirit, even setting aside the obvious dungeon themed similarities, there was definitely a feeling that TP was a true successor. Not just in visuals or content, but the extent of Links responsibility and fellowship towards man and beast, a relationship that was further cemented in Links transformation into a wolf.

Looking back, I feel that what TP came to be was really just the "theatrical version", and all the omissions we missed out on would've been part of the "Anouma directors cut"...personally, the extra interaction with animals and other forest beings would add to the depth of Links wolfy side, making a more justifiable experience as a beast. Without this, "Link Wolf" was viewed by a lot of people as a little superfluous, hence the "Nintendo copied Okami" argument. I hope the next Zelda shows more of Links nature loving side...

tabsina

ShockingAlberto said:
There were a number of things shown that had the same basic concepts in TP, but were just plain...different. In the Iwata Asks for TP, Miyamoto said he played that version, didn't like it, and it was changed to what we have today.

In the previous demos and trailers, there was for example an ability to communicate (or in general interact with) various animals while in human form, some sort of giant wooden creature in the forest, a black and white Twilight realm, being chased down a cave by Gohma, a monster graveyard in the rain, etc.

the fact that this was taken out without me knowing while i was playing the first time made me a little disappointed while playing, as of course, i found the animal communications were crap at best.. i was strangely relieved when i found out it had been scrapped

Woffls

Gah, I didn't consider that we could get a Zelda game based on the Majora's Mask structure of repeating the same time period.

I would absolutely love to have that kind of experience again, MM is still very unique and I'm surprised that (to my knowledge at least) no other games have attempted this format. If it was essentially a re-interpretation of the MM story, I could see a lot of the internet crying over it being the same game again, but if it's still a unique experience, I don't give a shit.

I want to believe this is more likely than a Mario game, simply because they'll have had more time on it and a Mario game after just 2 years is very unlikely. Assuming the game they announce is what we should be "clearing shelf space for", it would be uncharacteristic of the series for it to be announced so near to the shipping date; this would not, however, be unlike Nintendo in their current state.

Duderz

Banned
Am I the only one that doesn't want Nintendo to announce another Zelda?

Franchise needs another year off. Make me want to anticipate it like they did Ocarina and Twilight Princess, and not indifferent like....every other Zelda.

Top Bottom