• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been ten years since Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was released in Japan...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Diamond and Pearl was the first pair of games in the 4th Generation of Pokemon released for the Nintendo DS on September 28th 2006. For the first time in my life I imported a game from Japan using money saved up from mowing lawns to pre-order Pearl and though I couldn't understand a single word of Japanese at that point in time, being unable to even read basic hiragana and katakana, I enjoyed the game immensely and pre-ordered the English release of Diamond as well and enjoyed my second time through just as much, if not more, than the first time around.

The hype for Diamond and Pearl was basically unmatched too, with the games being teased for quite a few years before they were released---I believe it was like 2004 when we first learned that "Diamond and Pearl" would eventually hit the DS and until then Pokemon fans got to enjoy a decent amount of interesting spin-offs such as Pokemon Trozei, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Pokemon Ranger, the latter being able to actually connect to Diamond and Pearl in order to obtain the Mythical Manaphy, which CoroCoro I recall referred to as "The Road to Diamond and Pearl". Many 4th Generation Pokemon had appeared in various media prior to the release of the games such as Munchlax, Bonsly, who was even "playable" in Pokemon XD, and of course the incredibly popular Lucario, who has now officially been part of the franchise longer than he hasn't. Wow. I actually discovered NeoGAF through Diamond and Pearl hype, as a leaked CoroCoro scan revealing Drapion, Cherrim, and Pachirisu was posted here---this was before the "no scan" rule I imagine.

Diamond and Pearl is by no means a perfect Pokemon experience, but it did contribute a few important elements to the Pokemon franchise that still persist to this day---the most important being the first Pokemon title to feature global Wi-Fi (the Japanese version of Crystal had online features accessed through a special cell phone application) which made trading and battling with other players easier than ever before. Although the system wasn't perfect, it made completing the PokeDex a far easier task and allowed players to obtain Pokemon they might never have a chance of receiving otherwise. In particular when the game was first released I remember the Starters, Munchlax, Female Combee, and Spiritomb, who could only be obtained through utilizing local wireless features, were basically considered gold on the Global Trading System and could score you almost any non-Legendary Pokemon you desired. Unfortunately the WiFi features have been disabled since 2014.

Gameplay wise Diamond and Pearl felt like the point in the franchise where Game Freak started to really pay attention to the interest in the competitive aspect and it seemed like elements that were previously only hinted at before were made more clear, or so for me at the very least I recall really understanding how the systems that before I only barely got worked. A big change to the foundation of the game was the change in Physical and Special moves, previously each Type fell into one category or the other but now moves were categorized based on logic---Shadow Ball, formerly a Physical, was now Special while Bite, formerly Special, became Physical. Though this did render some classic strategies obsolete, such as Alakazam now being unable to utilize the Physical Elemental Punches, on the other hand it led to more diverse movesets possible, such as Hitmonchan now being able to actually use the Elemental Punches like you'd expect, and most people seem to view it as a positive change. From a lore standpoint it also makes a lot more sense dividing moves up this way and for the most part it's pretty intuitive outside of a few special cases, usually just reading the description of the move you can tell its Physical or Special where before you had to remember which category each Type fell into. I never knew that difference existed till Diamond and Pearl changed it, honestly.

The Sinnoh Region is also an amazing place to explore, my favorite Region ever honestly, with a lot of interesting and diverse locales as well as a bit of loose-endedness especially compared to later games which moved towards linearity---from what I've heard Game Freak has said that they actually simplified things due to Japanese kids getting confused as to where to go during the Galactic climax. Though there isn't a ton of water like in Hoenn HMs are still a sore point here, introducing even more otherwise pointless moves such as Rock Climb and Defog (though that's now a good competitive move for removing entry hazards) and some annoying areas to traverse, but otherwise you'll probably enjoy your adventure through the Region. For better or worse the story really ramped up here with multiple Legendaries who tie together into Pokemon's most ambitious mythology, and Team Galactic are a more serious threat than Team Aqua and Team Magma which a cool dynamic where the grunts are basically blind cult members whereas the leader, Cyrus, basically wants to remake the entire universe to fit his own antisocial personality.

Other features include the Underground, a local wireless minigame that sort of acts like Hoenn's Secret Bases mixed with an addicting treasure hunting game, Ball Seals, a feature where the player could customize the animation that happens when their Pokemon are unleashed in battle and desperately needs to return, Tag Trainers, various unique NPCs you'd team up with throughout the adventure mainly for sidequests, the Poketch, a watch-like LCD gear with a variety of gimmicky and useful features to play around with, and PalPark, a way to import your Pokemon from Generation III that was controversial due to having a six-Pokemon-a-day-limit (that could be easily gotten around though) and requiring you to then re-catch them in a pointless exercise. If you had a Generation III game in the GBA slot while playing Diamond and Pearl certain classic Pokemon would then appear on the overworld.

While Ruby and Sapphire was seen as a "reboot" at first with tons of classic Pokemon unavailable till future games were released, Diamond and Pearl through various methods allowed players to obtain every classic non-Starter/non-Legendary Pokemon in-game except for Tropius and Tangela, for whatever reason, right from Day 1. Of course you'd need both versions, a ton of time, and the GBA games for the Pokemon unlocked exclusively through the GBA slot method to do this but it was better than Ruby and Sapphire where the only way to get almost half the Pokemon required the use of an Action Replay. On the other hand despite having such a large roster of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl made the weird decision to limit the main game to only 150 Pokemon, a mix of new and old, with the other 300+ tossed into the post-game. This included many of Diamond and Pearl's new evolutions being limited to the post-game as well without trading which was quite an odd decision, one that was thankfully fixed in Platinum which is the best way to experience these games by far and, in my opinion, perhaps is the strongest Pokemon title.

Diamond and Pearl's 107 New Pokemon are a mixed bag---many of the wholly brand new Pokemon families are either really neat and still popular to this day, such as Lucario and Garchomp, or some of the trashiest Pokemon ever produced that no one really cares for such as Kricketune, Mothim, and Purugly. In particular the early game Pokemon, excluding an awesome Early Bird in the Starly line and a solid Electric-line in Shinx, are really weak and do nothing to escape the usual problems garden variety Pokemon suffer from but near the end some pretty cool Pokemon pop up that are pretty good, and this was the first Generation where I think people began to notice a power creep with the newer Pokemon overall having better tools and smarter stat distribution to utilize. Of particular controversy when released was how many of the Pokemon were evolutions of classic Gen I-III Pokemon, most of them locked till the post-game, but in recent years fans have warmed up to many of them especially as they represent a simpler time before the far more controversial Mega Evolutions. Sadly, outside of Sylveon, we haven't had a true Cross-Generation Evolution since Diamond and Pearl. Diamond and Pearl also brought back Baby Pokemon, but I felt the ones added in Gen IV were far more appealing and sensible than the ones added in Gen II. Pokemon like Snorlax, Sudowoodo, Mr. Mime, and Mantine receiving Baby Pokemon makes sense to me and I enjoy their designs as standalone Pokemon quite a bit. Chimecho getting a Baby, well, not so much...

Finally in terms of New Pokemon many were critical of the large amount of Legendaries introduced, though in Game Freak's defense they did a decent job of making most of them feel notable---Dialga, Palkia, the Lake Trio, Giratina, and Arceus are all connected together and Regigigas was a neat way to cap off the Regi Hunt from Generation III. On the other hand many agree that Manaphy, basically an ad for Pokemon Ranger, Cresselia, Shaymin, and especially Heatran, the latter who barely qualifies as a Legendary, were perhaps too much with Darkrai being the only non-Sinnoh Creation Myth Legendary that people legitimately seem to love due to an awesome design and lore. Generation V saw a similar glut of Legendaries but Generation VI saw a huge scaleback perhaps in response to these criticisms and Generation VII may follow suit. Overall I think like Gen II and Gen VI Generation IV has a weaker batch of Pokemon, but I do enjoy quite a lot of them. You can see my thoughts on the Pokemon of course in my retrospective: here, though note the Cross-Generation Pokemon are placed alongside their original families. I really need to add links to this thread when I'm done.

Overall Diamond and Pearl were far from perfect, but I have a soft spot for Generation IV and put a ton of hours into all of its games so, yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIAMOND AND PEARL!

Reset

The generation with the best competitive scene. It's a shame Black and White ruined it, at least XY patched it up somewhat.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Generation IV was the first time I ever seriously raised a Pokemon, a Medicham. Spent hours obtaining an Adamant one with decent IVs (this was before Gen VI made that easy to do) and then EV trained it for the first time ever. Loved that Medicham and the fun of spamming High Jump Kick.

phanphare

Banned
is this the gen that introduced shinx, luxio, and luxray? loved that family of pokemon

also this game has the best art style in the series

WolfeTone

Diamond and Pearl generation was fantastic. Physical/Special split was definitely needed and made battles more interesting. Sinnoh was a great region too, very diverse in locales and the music was cool.

Sinnoh had the best mix of new Pokemon and old Pokemon. The new Pokemon introduced were plentiful and interesting and the evolutions for older types were pretty fresh. I also like the Unova approach of all new Pokemon, but if Gamefreak want to have a mix, it should be done like it was in Sinnoh, not Kalos. X and Y had far too many older types and it felt like a challenge to make a team using only new Gen 6 Pokemon. Only issue with Sinnoh was that it didn't have enough fire types. I believe outside of the Chimchar line, the only fire type available pre-E4 was Ponyta. They fixed this a little bit in Platinum.

Battle speed was far too slow in D/P, another thing which they improved on in Platinum. Looking forward to seeing these games remade in a few years.

I remember the wait for Diamond and Pearl's localization being unbearable, it's strange how long it took Nintendo for a series as popular as Pokemon to have a worldwide simultaneous release.

This was the only gen that never clicked with me; for whatever reason, I can't be bothered to remember maybe half the Pokemon from D/P.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Plat was the first pokemon game I played since Blue and I really dug it. I didn't enjoy B/W or X/Y as much.

Menitta

Best gen. Even though D/P weren't the best, it was the start of something glorious. Platinum, Gen 2 remakes, and many many spin-offs.

DP was the game I returned to pokemon on, hadn't played since Blue.

In retrospect I gotta say the story was ridiculously weak.

My first reaction was that your rival is shitty. But again this was from the standpoint of not having played ORAS and understanding that Nintendo wasn't making hostile rivals anymore, and not knowing how much worse it would get in XY. But at the time it was disappointing - his primary character flaw was that he was in a hurry? And that's the only dimension to his character?

I also don't remember much of the story. I feel like the team and its motivations were kind of a nonentity that accomplished very little. Now that I've played the ORAS remakes I can say that ORAS did the best job of portraying a real legendary threat that lasted a decent amount of time, and wasn't resolved as soon as it began. The rest kind of fell flat.

But at the same time I remember I had a good time mining in the underground and there was a lot of good postgame content compared to some other entries.

What I'll always remember most about this gen is all the new evolutions of old Pokémon. They were pretty hit and miss: some were terrible and some were great. But I feel like Togekiss, Yanmega and Honchcrow are some of the best -- to me they seem like they really complete their lines. The Togepi line in particular felt like such a massive anti-climax before they added Togekiss. Like Togetic is still an egg, what's up with that?

psyfi

Banned
I had a blast with D/P, but mostly just because I loved the critter designs. Still my favorite starters! Going back and playing that gen after all the improvements the series has seen since is pretty rough, though.

brinstar

I was in college when these games hit, and they caused a bit of a Pokemon resurgence on campus due to how massively popular the DS was. Nothing like the Pokemon GO craze a few months back or anything, but I remember a lot of casual fans returning for these games after taking an extended break from the series. So when I think D/P, I think a lot of fond memories of playing and trading with a lot of different folks.

Looking back on these titles themselves though, I find them to be pretty unexciting. They brought a ton of great features to the series, and fixed up a lot of useless Pokemon lines (looking at you Johto) but the games themselves don't feel that much more evolved from Ruby/Sapphire, and I don't find that there's a lot in them that make me want to replay them over the Gen 5 games.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle a remake, if they decide to do so. I remember joking that the D/P remake would be the one to make me feel truly old back when the games originally released and here we are already 10 years later... ugh. lol

Sou Da

The most mediocre, forgettable Pokémon period.

This gen was XY 1.0 except the remakes of this era were actually good.

woopWOOP

The generation that really underwhelmed me and got me out of the whole Pokemon thing until Black & White's release. Rock climb is one of the dumbest HM moves and that stupid mountain is way worse than Ruby/Sapphire's overabundance of water. Worst gen.

Credit where credit's due tho, that physical/special split is one of the best changes the franchise got. Finally Hitmonchan's elemental punches can do some damage!

Kyzer

Banned
to be honest almost ruined Pokemon for me. beat it but damn near unplayable gameplay speed. if it wasnt for HGSS i never would have come back to give platinum a chance, which ended up fixing DP and to the point of becoming one of my favorites.

Seriously though

LsIzGuQ.png

Such a pointless waste of a character.

Camisado

My personal favourite generation, really have some fond memories of Platinum especially.

Obviously it's too soon to be begging for a remake, especially with Sun and Moon not out yet but...

Edit: Apparently I'm on my own with this! I wonder if it's just rose tinted glasses

Firemind

The generation with the best competitive scene. It's a shame Black and White ruined it, at least XY patched it up somewhat.
First post is right. Well except the XY part.

Best generation as far as multiplayer goes. Shits on every generation that came after. Single player is alright but who gives a shit honestly.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah, this gen sucked in retrospective, talking about the feel and polish of the games themselves. The monsters were top notch as usual and the Physhic/Physical split is probably the best and most important change in game mechanics ever.

Thank god Gamefreak launched Gen V in the DS so usability could be improved.

This is gonna sound crazy, but Pearl was my first Pokemon game. I spent... An uncountable number of hours playing it, going through the underground, doing some of the poffin stuff, planting berries all over the place. And then I restarted (same name, same starter) and put almost 1000 hours into Platinum. Gen IV was where my adventure started, and truthfully? I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Piplup da boss.

edit: AHH, AND GLACEON AND LEAFEON WERE INTRODUCED!!! TWO OF THE CUTEST MOTHERFUCKERS IN THE WORLD!

psyfi

Banned
Obviously it's too soon to be begging for a remake, especially with Sun and Moon not out yet but...
I really see no need for a Gen IV remake, but I felt the same way about Gen III. Maybe it depends on how long you've been playing the games and which gen you first got into. I have a ton of nostalgia for R/B/Y and G/S/C and loved their remakes, though the R/B/Y one felt too soon.

I really see no need for a Gen IV remake, but I felt the same way about Gen III. Maybe it depends on how long you've been playing the games and which gen you first got into. I have a ton of nostalgia for R/B/Y and G/S/C and loved their remakes, though the R/B/Y one felt too soon.
gen 4 needs a remake if only because the games run terribly. And no before anyone says "b-b-but platinum", that shit is still slow so don't pretend it isn't.

Menitta

gen 4 needs a remake if only because the games run terribly. And no before anyone says "b-b-but platinum", that shit is still slow so don't pretend it isn't.

Also, because they've remade half of the games already. No reason they wouldn't. Then again, trying to create a trend of Pokemon game releases is like making a car from rocks.

How is Gen 4 slow?

Edit: Actually don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss.

clemenx

Banned
I'm hoping Sun/Moon are to X/Y what Black/White was to Diamond/Pearl in terms of polish.

Those became unplayable once Gen V came out.

MarkusRJR

I liked the region but I absolutely hated the pacing and slow battles. Probably my least favorite Gen overall.

Best thing to come out of it was the Physical/Special split.

Probably my favorite generation of Pokemon ever. I got so many playing hours of it. The only thing I didn't like about the game was how slow the battling took cake, and also some of the designs of the Pokemon, freaked me out (at least as 14 year old anyway), otherwise I thought it was a really good, at least in terms of gameplay and actual gameplay fun.

I also loved the music. I remember flying to Hearthome City and Sunyshore City again and again, just so I could hear the music again and again.

Zyrox

Probably my favorite Gen overall. Loved most of the new evolutions (even the ones that get a lot of hate like Rhyperior and Magmortar), Sinnoh is my favorite region, and outside of a few stinkers I really liked the lineup of new Pokémon. Still my favorite set of starters. Torterra and Empoleon are my No. 1 and 2 fav starters respectively. Stuff like the physical/special split and online trading/battling were also huge and awesome changes/features.
Funnily enough when I played through these games I never once thought they were particularily slow. So when I saw that complaint on the internet I was like "Huh. Okay." I'm one of those people that always plays with animations on though, and Groudon was a mainstay on my team in Ruby, slowing battles down quite a bit due to its ability. So I guess slowness doesn't bother me that much, heh.

I really hope the eventual remakes turn out great and are more inspired by Platinum than the base games.

I also really wish we would get some new actual evolutions for old Pokémon. That was so hype for me in Gen IV. Megas and Alolan Forms don't scratch that same itch.

Top Bottom