• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Halloween, post your favorite horror games

Chromax said:
This
021008125433_siren-blood-curse.jpg

and

This

0-91.jpg

Posting in-game screenshots without giving the title should be fucking bannable.

HYDE

Banned
Resident Evil 4
Dead Space
Bio Shock
Condemned
Half-Life 2

My favorite(funnest) horror games.
I know not all together scary, but they all have some parts.

Lime

Shit, this reminds me of how scary the Fatal Frame/Project Zero games are. I can't even finish them.

REmake, my favorite in the series, classic survival horror at it's finest, I love tank controls, the CG backgrounds, the tension of returning zombies as crimsonheads if you didn't burn them and the added sidestory
it's such a shame RE2 never got the same treatment
System Shock 2, very well done chilling atmosphere & sense of survival, great build up, has really haunted me

I also enjoyed RE2, Code Veronica, RE4 & Silent Hill.

Also
screen_39444_monster_bash_1.jpg

besides the "gore" and monsters, I think it was a really good platformer. I loved the level designs. Such a pleasant surprise to have discovered amongst all the shitty shareware at the time.

There's a PC game called Sanitarium which I played a demo of back in the day. It had a very disturbing loony house setting. I always wanted to buy the full game, but never saw it in stores. Thinking about it now I feel like getting a copy from e-bay.

nib95

Banned
Resident Evil 4 if that counts. Though it never actually scared me, so in that regard, I guess it'd be either Silent Hill 2, FEAR or RE1.

deleted

Luigi´s Mansion
20axsig.jpg

No Horror Game per definition, but I love the athmosphere.

Serious Answer is Eternal Darkness.

Silent Hill 1-3, Resident Evil-series as a whole, Eternal Darkness (if the magick spells made any sense), Dino Crisis for that dino-flavor

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks to whoever it was that recommended the free game Judith.

Unnerving stuff, witha creep story and incredible atmosphere. All that despite the fact that the game looks like it launched alongside the original Doom :lol

ArjanN

faceless007 said:
Posting in-game screenshots without giving the title should be fucking bannable.

Yeah, that can be annoying, you can often still tell though the picture filename though.

It's Siren: Blood Curse
and
Fatal Frame.(2 I guess)

Alucrid

Banned
I just tried Penumbra and wow. I definitely have to get it for only $20. I also need to pick up Fatal Frame, never did played them and they look incredible. The only bad thing is that they cost a fortune.

bjork

Not an entire game, but the room in Impossible Mission where
you enter and there's no robots, so you're casually cruising to the nearest lift, then one of those giant homing balls comes out of the ceiling.

Damn near pissed myself the first time that happened.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
Silent Hill 2 and Clock Tower (PSX version) are the only two games that ever gave me trouble sleeping at night, haha. The first Fatal Frame was pretty creepy, too....with that weird music that plays when a ghost approaches you.

I was thinking of creating a thread about this subject, but since this one was started last year, may as well continue here. I've been thinking about what horror game to play this year for Halloween, and it's surprising how many choices there really are.

Really looking forward to Costume Quest, only a few more days. That game just seems to capture the essence of what it was like going out on a crisp fall evening, tons of leaves on the ground, with the smell of rubber and a (usually) sweaty mask on your face, walking through the neighborhood begging for sweets. So I'll definitely be playing that. Though it's obviously not horror, it's definitely Halloween.

Other choices in the more traditional horror genre:

Siren Blood Curse
Resident Evil REmake
Silent Hill 2
Fatal Frame 2 (wish I still owned the first game)
RE2
Eternal Darkness

Also, and this may sound odd, but a few years back when Mortal Kombat Deception came out, I got that for the Xbox and for some reason got a strong Halloween vibe from that game. I don't know what it is, maybe because it was released earlier that month. And even more odd sounding, the Tony Hawk games like THPS3 which released a few days before Halloween back in 2001 always reminds me of the holiday, and because of that I've had the urge to pop a copy into my PS2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All my faves have been mentioned, but I'm particularly fond of Resident Evil 4 and Dino Crisis. *

I think I want to play a horror game for this Halloween. I'm considering Siren: Blood Curse but I still gotta buy the 2nd and 3rd parts.

* Regarding Dino Crisis, I would kill a motherfucker for another one. I played the first on Dreamcast and it blew me away. Classic survival horror gaming with fucking DINOSAURS, fuck Zombies, that is some truely scary shit. Oh man, the first time the T-Rex pops in...it was terrifying. I don't think I ever played the sequel, but I rented the 3rd one a few years back without any prior knowledge of it. I was baffled, what in god's name was that shit?

Anyways:

PeU9K.jpg

wRfRx.gif

so good

madara

Quest for Glory 4:shadows of darkness, king of atmosphere. Shame I cant find the non buggy CD version and likely would still have issues getting it to run on XP like Gabriel Knight.

kamspy

Amnesia The Dark Descent

Game is too good at being scary. I can never play for longer than a few minutes. Then my nerves are shot.

I love horror games (eventhough I am usually scared shitless while playing them) and I think I have played through at least 35 of those, but my ultimate top-3 might be

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Silent Hill 1
3. Resident Evil 2

Silent Hill 2 will ALWAYS be on the top, but some runner ups like REmake could take spot 3. Honorable mentions for Eternal Darkness for having the screamer (and best insanity effects but poor combat), Dead Space for being, if not scary, really athmospheric, Alone In The Dark (reboot) on PS2 for being the WORST HORROR GAME ever, Dino Crisis for being the best horror game with dinosaurs, Parasite Eve for being the best RPG/Horror game hybrid, RE:CV&RE3 for having the ugliest monster (Nemesis and those damn Bangersnatchers, it's a tie really). Siren for giving the sense of "it's useless to fight but I can't run" feeling... Ugh I am forgetting so many

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Fatal Frame II. Scares the crap out of me. Still can't finish it. Refuse to play it in my basement alone. Just too much for me.

I just started Silent Hill 3. I'm only to the part where you find your first key in the mall. Already very wary and disturbed. Don't know how long I'll last.

Doom. Old school but still creeps me out. Sound and isolation is the reason.

But yeah, Fatal Frame II is the worst for me. I have 3 but haven't touched it. I had the first but seemed to have lost it (this is for the better).

Oh, Aliens vs Predator for the PC, the first one, specifically the Marine campaign. Hearing that "beepbeep" getting stronger and stronger while cramped in pitch black vents wasn't fun.

owlbeak

Amnesia: The Dark Descent has catapulted past the Silent Hills for me and tops my favorite horror game list. So much atmosphere and the setting is perfect, also the lack of combat is excellent. It's up there with Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

And yes, Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2's Marine campaign was absolutely terrifying. Also, another game I always play this time of year is Friday the 13th for NES. Something about that game is creepy. :lol

Edit: OH! And surprisingly, Minecraft is quite a terrifying game in its own right. Especially right when you start a new game and know you have a matter of minutes to manage to at least craft something that can get you into a shelter by nightfall and as you spend the first night in your tiny hole in the ground you can hear the moaning of zombies outside your walls...unsettling!

Also....PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
bloodydrake said:
RealmsOfTheHaunting.jpg

This game so needs a remake would be great as a FPS/RPG/Adventure Hybrid.

Agreed! It's an amazing game.

Other favourites:
Clive Barker's Undying
Silent Hill 1-3
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Cardigan

Condemned creeped me out so much that I could only play through about 15 minutes of it. For favorite, I think I'd have to say Dead Space. I'll think I'll start another play through tonight, in fact.
And even though Alan Wake isn't technically a horror game, it really creeped me out and had me tense the entire time.

A lot of these games look so gorgeous and haunting but I can't play scary games. I get horrified. I hate the feeling. Alan Wake's standard shadow baddies were even a bit too much. :lol

I wish I could play them.

1GabUp

Resident Evil 2. First horror game I have ever played in fact.

I don't know if you can really consider this an horor game but also :

usaboxart.jpg

What a strange atmosphere.

Top Bottom