• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Halloween, post your favorite horror games

I can't say I've ever had a game straight up scare me, but there have been several where the atmosphere is intense enough to definitely make me feel uncomfortable. Top ones in recent memory:

Penumbra

penumbra-overture_episode-one_05081612.jpg

What a creepy trilogy. The setting is claustrophobic enough, but throw in the sound design and it can drive you nuts. I may in fact try and marathon through the series sometime today if I get some things done.

Judith
judith2-thumb.JPG

It's a very simple, but this is probably the most uncomfortable I've been playing a game in a long while. Though the ending leaves something to be desired, the narrative elements in the game are awesome.

It just doesn't get much better than Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I recently enjoyed Dead Space, though....such a great horror atmosphere.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
REmake was just posted... so good. That and RE2 are really great. Pretty cliche answers, but hard to top those games.

Bit-Bit

Here's my top 5.

5. Silent Hill 3
4. Resident Evil 1 Remake on Gamecube
3. Dead Space
2. Eternal Darkness
1. Silent Hill 2

drkOne

Not really a fan of Horror, but definitely Silent Hill 2
27_silent_hill_2-there_was_a_hole_here.jpg

Penumbra was too much for me, intense atmosphere. Recently, Dead Space was really nice.

CiSTM

Banned
Was going to rave how good Penumbra is but OP got it covered.

I have no mouth but and I must scream is classic too.
23ur2qe.jpg
2ci6u8n.png

2mq2edx.png

System Shock II is also really scary game. All alone in big space station can get really scary especially when the sound world is so great. REally great atmosphere.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was last horror game that was actually scary.

EDIT: Almost forgot Sanitarium. Scared the shit out me when I was a kid :)
2mg4k5x.jpg

Hyunkel6

Condemned-2--Bloodshot-5.jpg

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - Have been playing this for 2 days. My 1st horror game in a long while. I gave up on the 1st one, because of the creepy atmosphere, and I have a feeling that I will do the same for the 2nd one. Yet, I want to know how the story unfolds. :lol

Peronthious said:
Judith
judith2-thumb.JPG

It's a very simple, but this is probably the most uncomfortable I've been playing a game in a long while. Though the ending leaves something to be desired, the narrative elements in the game are awesome.

Thanks for this, enjoyed that a lot. I second Penumbra as well, awesome series.

Dear Esther which is a mod for half life 2 has similar kind of gloomy uncomfortableness too.

4 games and I love them for different reasons:

Resident Evil remake (horror)
Eternal Darkness (atmosphere)
Resident Evil 4 (action)
Dead Space (terror)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
RealmsOfTheHaunting.jpg

This game so needs a remake would be great as a FPS/RPG/Adventure Hybrid.

Alone%20in%20the%20Dark%20Front.jpg

And the original AITD was awesome back in the day.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CiSTM said:
BTW did anyone in gaf play Clive Barker's Undying ? If you did was it any good ?

It's overall very good. Gets somewhat tedious towards the end, but it's still a good game. The ending is a cocktease, though..

As for the games:
Silent Hill 1 and 2
Clive Barker's Undying
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Penumbra
Realms of the Haunting

The Thief series generally has great scare levels (don't sleep on 'Return to the Cathedral').

System Shock 2 is probably my favourite horror game. Also, the marine levels in Aliens versus Predator (on Director's Cut, pre-save patch).

The first Condemned (the second was awful) was pretty great too, and had the best jump scare I've ever encountered in a game
(the school locker)

But I simply couldn't play the original Alone in the Dark for more than five minutes as a kid, so that probably wins overall.

I love scary games and wish there were more of them.

Top Bottom