• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's June. Why have we not heard anything about the PS5's M.2 expansion slot yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
If you're like me and you have a handful of games on your PS5, you've probably already reached the limits of what you can store. I downloaded CoD Black Ops, Warzone, Demon's Souls, and a handful of PS4 games, and that was enough to fill the storage completely.

That said, why has Sony not spoken a word about the M.2 slot inside the PS5 yet? With the number of new PS5 games steadily trickling in, storage is becoming an increasingly larger issue for the space-limited SSD.

The new compression techniques seem to be working great, with the latest Ratchet & Clank coming in at around 30GB, but many cross-gen games are just as large as ever, and the onboard storage can't keep up. And the fact that Sony hasn't said anything about the storage slot for this long is concerning, especially since we haven't even heard that it's something they're currently working on as well as when we can expect it to be functional.

Do you think this lack of communication from Sony isn't a big deal at this stage, or are you also concerned about where they are going with this proposed feature?

Patience Calm Down GIF by Brat TV

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not sure what’s happening, I’m sure in Cerny’s talk he was anticipating SSDs to hit the market in Q4 with the required specs. Maybe Covid fucking stuff up somewhere along the line? To be honest I don’t play CoD or any 100gb games so even 500gb is enough for me.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Maybe there's a design flaw which renders the expansion slot non-functional on all PS5s, and they're now trying to figure out how to get out of that pickle...

Or maybe there just isn't any drive verified to work properly yet.
i think I’ve seen people say there’s no cooling solution for that drive spot im guessing it’s just been overheating

ethomaz

Banned
Well with the actual internal SSD I probably won’t ever put a M2 expansion on mine.

But it is nice to have options just that it is not priority over others things imo… Sony should focus in features that really matter for gaming first.

Last edited:
Maybe there's a design flaw which renders the expansion slot non-functional on all PS5s, and they're now trying to figure out how to get out of that pickle...

Whelp. $500 million dollars of PS5 R&D down the drain.

Just kidding. I think there's no design flaw, Sony is just waiting for the right m.2 drives to hit the market.

My theory is that they are testing and having performance issues because of their custom I/O and It's not easy to reach the same Performance in the internal m.2 drive.

I already have a Western Digital SN850 with a cooler ready. Even If It will not be certified I can still use It on my X570 motherboard.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

My theory is that they are testing and having performance issues because of their custom I/O and It's not easy to reach the same Performance in the internal m.2 drive.

I already have a Western Digital SN850 with a cooler ready. Even If It will not be certified I can still use It on my X570 motherboard.
I have one ready too but didn't WD advertise it has PS5 ready at one point though?

reksveks

So you made a bad argument, because I was giving a legit answer, based on what you can do now and why it is not a problem that the M.2 port isn't active yet.

If some other platform can't survive with the factory SSD installed, it doesn't mean it is an issue for the PS5 as well.
You asked the question 'who cares' on a thread from who literally cares enough about the m2 expansion drive to post a thread.

If you don't care (cause there are solutions that works for you) then that's fine but don't ask the question 'who cares' even if it is a rhetorical one.

If you're like me and you have a handful of games on your PS5, you've probably already reached the limits of what you can store. I downloaded CoD Black Ops, Warzone, Demon's Souls, and a handful of PS4 games, and that was enough to fill the storage completely.

That said, why has Sony not spoken a word about the M.2 slot inside the PS5 yet? With the number of new PS5 games steadily trickling in, storage is becoming an increasingly larger issue for the space-limited SSD.

The new compression techniques seem to be working great, with the latest Ratchet & Clank coming in at around 30GB, but many cross-gen games are just as large as ever, and the onboard storage can't keep up. And the fact that Sony hasn't said anything about the storage slot for this long is concerning, especially since we haven't even heard that it's something they're currently working on as well as when we can expect it to be functional.

Do you think this lack of communication from Sony isn't a big deal at this stage, or are you also concerned about where they are going with this proposed feature?

Well, beginning of the June isn't Summer.

SpokkX

if am leaning towards some issue with the m2 slot

they suddenly announced that they needed to increase the fan speed when m2 is in use - this seems to indicate they have some heat issues

oh and that tech breakdown indicated that the cooling around the m2 slot (and internal ssd) was not that great

RoadHazard

Gold Member
if am leaning towards some issue with the m2 slot

they suddenly announced that they needed to increase the fan speed when m2 is in use - this seems to indicate they have some heat issues

oh and that tech breakdown indicated that the cooling around the m2 slot (and internal ssd) was not that great

It just seems absolutely ridiculous that they wouldn't have caught this issue before release. Maybe the expansion slot was added very late in the design process as they realized that 667GB (or whatever it is) wouldn't cut it (maybe they were hoping to make the internal SSD larger but couldn't), and they didn't have time to redesign the cooling etc to properly handle it. Still absurd, but who knows.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Plug a cheap drive on the USB and use it as cold storage or to run PS4 games. Runs just fine.
That's just a bullshit position to hold. Most of us would actually like to easily switch between the games we own and play them as we see fit without having to balance where we store them and moving things around. Sony needs to get off their asses and address this issue because for many of us, it does indeed sour the PS5 experience

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not sure what’s happening, I’m sure in Cerny’s talk he was anticipating SSDs to hit the market in Q4 with the required specs. Maybe Covid fucking stuff up somewhere along the line? To be honest I don’t play CoD or any 100gb games so even 500gb is enough for me.

They already arrived.
Final flash PCIE4 drives are nigh plentiful now.
Hell WD and Samsung announced PS5 compatibility last year.

The update just isnt ready yet, not to throw mud into the waters but Sony arent the fastest at releasing OS features.

For those looking to get a drive early these drives should all meet the speed requirement, we just dont know if Sony is going to somehow do case by case testing for approval(unlikely).
  • PNY XLR8 CS3140 — 7,500MB/s reads, 6,850MB/s writes
  • Adata XPG Gammix S70 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6,400MB/s writes
  • Mushkin Gamma — 7,175MB/s reads, 6,800MB/s writes
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus — 7,100MB/s reads, 6000MB/s writes
  • Samsung 980 Pro — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,000MB/s writes
  • WD SN850 Black — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,300MB/s writes
  • Patriot Viper VP4 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6800MB/s writes
The WD Black, the Viper and the Samsung are going to be you best bet really, they outperform the rest of the pack in real use cases.

reksveks

Getting back to the initial post, I just think Sony are a bit slow with their OS updates. Their suspend mode was like a year after it was initially revealed.

I do wonder if they are still trying to figure out the certification process and the way to disable unapproved drives.

That's just a bullshit position to hold. Most of us would actually like to easily switch between the games we own and play them as we see fit without having to balance where we store them and moving things around. Sony needs to get off their asses and address this issue because for many of us, it does indeed sour the PS5 experience
Most people aren't going to go buy an SSD that costs as much or more than the console to hold more games when they can go buy 4TB of storage on an external drive for around $100 and just swap games back and forth. It's not like you can't hold over a dozen games at once on the internal as it is but of course some people want to play the victim and act like they are so inconvenienced. It'll get there in time, if there aren't drives that meet their compatibility standard for one reason or another that's not their fault.

Garani

You asked the question 'who cares' on a thread from who literally cares enough about the m2 expansion drive to post a thread.

If you don't care (cause there are solutions that works for you) then that's fine but don't ask the question 'who cares' even if it is a rhetorical one.
It's a well known figure of speech. The underline meaning is "no one cares". Now, if we want to get into a language debate I am more than equip, but I believe it would not be on topic.
Of course we would love to. But is there no other way to deal with the issue, at the moment? Yes there is, and Sony gave it priority. Once that SSDs that are usable natively are on the market, Sony will activate the M.2 port. It's just as simple as that.

Methos#1975

It's a well known figure of speech. The underline meaning is "no one cares". Now, if we want to get into a language debate I am more than equip, but I believe it would not be on topic.

Of course we would love to. But is there no other way to deal with the issue, at the moment? Yes there is, and Sony gave it priority. Once that SSDs that are usable natively are on the market, Sony will activate the M.2 port. It's just as simple as that.
It's not really that simple actually, hell we still cannot use more than one external HDD at a time on the either the PS4 or PS5, Sony is historically not good at this sort of thing so who knows if the port is actually ever activated

Garani

It's not really that simple actually, hell we still cannot use more than one external HDD at a time on the either the PS4 or PS5, Sony is historically not good at this sort of thing so who knows if the port is actually ever activated
I have a 4TB usb drive attached to my PS5 and holds more games than what I can play, both myself and my kids. And I still have several over 2.5 TB of space left on the external drive. Why would I need 2 external drives?

Entroyp

having a 1gbps inet connection makes this a non-issue for me but it’s taking a damn long time.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I have a 4TB usb drive attached to my PS5 and holds more games than what I can play, both myself and my kids. And I still have several over 2.5 TB of space left on the external drive. Why would I need 2 external drives?
Good for you! Some of us are more blessed and own more games than that, I have a 6TB drive that is full and about 25 games left over that I cannot store on a HDD right now. And this will only become a bigger issue if Sony doesn't open up more storage issues as we struggle to balance are already existing PS4 collections with our growing PS5 collections. In this Era of BC and cross gen gaming, it's absurd to think one HDD enough. Not all of us are interested in deleting games and having to debate which of our games we store and which ones we don't. The competition allows more flexibility in this matter, so why is Sony lagging behind?

TheMan

well, the only drive that works with xbox costs 200 and imagine the ps5 one will cost just as much. So unless you're prepared to drop big stacks it may be a while until an affordable option that plays ps5 games is available

Garani

Or..they could release something that was advertised...
It was well advertised that the port would be activated only once that there would be SSDs that can do the job.

Meanwhile, it isn't a dire priority: there is a solution and it works. It may not be elegant, but it's well functional.

Good for you! Some of us are more blessed and own more games than that, I have a 6TB drive that is full and about 25 games left over that I cannot store on a HDD right now. And this will only become a bigger issue if Sony doesn't open up more storage issues as we struggle to balance are already existing PS4 collections with our growing PS5 collections. In this Era of BC and cross gen gaming, it's absurd to think one HDD enough. Not all of us are interested in deleting games and having to debate which of our games we store and which ones we don't. The competition allows more flexibility in this matter, so why is Sony lagging behind?
I don't know about you, but between owned games, PS+ (since it started) and PS Now, I could download way more than the actual capacity that I have available. But why should I download/install every single game that it's out there? More over PS4 games can run straight from the drive.

I get it it's a pain moving PS5 games in and out of cold storage, but at home we are managing well enough.

Last edited:

reksveks

I know what you were implying, don't worry about that. I have an issue with the implications but yes, it would be off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom