• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's June. Why have we not heard anything about the PS5's M.2 expansion slot yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Watch Cerny's presentation and maybe you'll understand what the PS5 does that can't be replicated on a PC just by plopping a super fast SSD in there if the rest of the I/O architecture isn't up to the task.

It's also not only about raw throughput, but about latency. If you have a little latency here and a little there, it quickly adds up to a LOT of latency that's gonna be very detrimental to how quickly you can fetch data from all over the place. That's part of what Sony specifically worked to minimize in the PS5, and which makes things such as loading data as you're turning around in the game possible (R&C does this), vastly increasing what you can do with the available memory since you're only using it for things that are actually needed to render what's in front of you.
And PC has DirectStorage coming that will work with existing drives/GPUs.

This isn't some Sony-only direction that systems are going, and it doesn't really require new "architecture" either.

The only truly unique thing Sony is doing is having more priority levels.

Other than raw speed, Sony pushed a combination of things farther and faster.. but all of this has been the direction PCs were heading anyways. Including moving data directly to the GPU, having decompression not happening on the CPU, etc.

Last edited:

MikeM

I don't need the space, so no rush from my end. The kraken compression seems to be helping make the most out of the space there is for PS5 games. PS4 games on an external 2TB drive.

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And PC has DirectStorage coming that will work with existing drives/GPUs.

Yep. What I was arguing against was the idea that PC can reach the same speeds (including latency) as PS5 right NOW, as long as the SSD is fast enough. That's just not the case.

DirectStorage will make that possible (although I don't know how the full latency will compare), but that's not available yet last time I checked.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yep. What I was arguing against was the idea that PC can reach the same speeds (including latency) as PS5 right NOW, as long as the SSD is fast enough. That's just not the case.

DirectStorage will make that possible (although I don't know how the full latency will compare), but that's not available yet last time I checked.
Yeah it should come this year.

And cars like the nVidia RTX cards are prepped for it, going to enable fast de-compression on the GPU as well.

Like I said in my edit.. Sony pushed these things a bit earlier than PC did.. it's all the direction the industry was going though. Not sure if the 6 priority levels thing will be copied though, I don't think that's been in anyone's plans.. as PCIE 5.0 I think just keeps the 2 from 4.0.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Right my point.

So you made a bad argument, because I was giving a legit answer, based on what you can do now and why it is not a problem that the M.2 port isn't active yet.

If some other platform can't survive with the factory SSD installed, it doesn't mean it is an issue for the PS5 as well.

You have been arguing the most obtuse shit I've read all day, and I'm still only back on page 1.

Drive space was too limited on all the new consoles, especially for people that want to have their digital library quickly accessible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like how you guys always act like there is nothing the pc can do. As well as act like all Xbox did was slap in an nvme drive a well. Maybe people would take you guys more seriously if you actually presented the facts in a fair manner rather then ps5 worship mode.

Of course PC can do it once the hardware and software catches up. Right now that's not the case. And even once that's available, the majority of PC gamers won't have the hardware to do it, so devs won't really be able to target it. That's only possible if you know all users of a certain platform have the same specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom