• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's official: Sonic is hotter than Margot Robbie

Bullet Club

At the box office.

Sonic the Hedgehog” is speeding to a $65 million opening at the North American box office this President’s Day weekend, according to estimates.

Paramount’s action-adventure, based on the Sega video game character, had been pegged to generate $40-45 million prior to its launch. Should estimates hold, it could break the $54 million record set last year by “Detective Pikachu” for the best three-day domestic opening for a video-game movie
Warner Bros.’ second weekend of the superhero pic “Birds of Prey” is heading for second place with about $20 million, following its disappointing $33 million opening weekend. It should finish the holiday period with about $63 million in its first 11 days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No? But if the numbers hold it would be the best opening weekend for one. It’ll take weeks to see if it can top Pokemon .
Shit I forgot about that movie. Detective Pikachu made over $400 million.

I was thinking more along the lines of Mortal Kombat, SF or R&C..... googled it. MK and SF made about $100M each, R&C made only $14M.

Surprisingly the old ass Super Mario movie only made $26M.

Edit: Forgot.... googled more. Tomb Raider movies made $275M and the first RE movie made about $100M.

Looks like some of them don't do so bad at all. But some seem like clunkers. That FF movie killed SE. And those Dungeon Siege movies were worse.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Margot was never asked to carry a movie by herself. She's always had someone to help carry the load (like Leo or Will).

I never found her particularly interesting or compelling in any way. Could've been replaced by practically any other B to A list skinny blonde in all the roles I've seen her in and it wouldn't make a difference.

Bullet Club

I would never fuck Sonic, sorry.
Ws3D8HX.jpg

Totally deserved.

Saw Sonic on Friday, and it's genuinely good. Not amazing, and it's jokes are definitely designed to be safe for all ages, but some genuine laugh out loud moments, it's genuinely well vast, with great chemistry between the actors, good core messaging on the importance of family, friends and how to handle bullies, great visuals, and Jim Carey is doing top tier scenary chewing and hamming which carries scenes that would otherwise be a chore.

It also absolutely would not have worked with the abomination hedgehog design. That would absolutely have not worked with the loght hearted, ridiculous and cartoony approach the rest of the movie had and they were 100% right to change it.

Meanwhile Birds of Prey clearly has no respect for its sauce material or its audience and is more interested in propagandising it's extremist views than telling a good story.

I'm super glad Sonic lools to be leaving those flightless birds in the dust.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm more likely to watch the Harely Quinn movie (incredible villain) than watch a video game movie, bottom line is both of these movies are rentals.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sonic was legit good. Surprisingly so.

Birds was a disaster. Some chuckles and a half decent fight scene.

Sonic is better than a Flash movie. It IS a flash movie! How is this concept so hard, DC?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not going to go see it, but I'm glad it's doing well. They listened to fans and are being rewarded.

TUROK

This year kinda feels like bizarroworld as far as the box office goes.

Never would have guessed Bad Boys and Sonic would end up sweeping the box office.

90s renaissance, I guess.

It’s cool that the Sonic movie is good and doing well at the box office. Always been a big fan of the character since my Genesis days in the 90’s. Margot Robbie is hot and I like her, but she shouldn’t be blamed for Birds of Prey tanking.

VulcanRaven

Not suprising. Of course kids movie like Sonic is going to do better than rated R Birds of Prey.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
It’s cool that the Sonic movie is good and doing well at the box office. Always been a big fan of the character since my Genesis days in the 90’s. Margot Robbie is hot and I like her, but she shouldn’t be blamed for Birds of Prey tanking.

Is it even tanking? It seems like it's neither a bomb or a smash hit.

Tesseract

Banned
sonic the hedgehog is doing it, he's becoming the hero we've all waited for

it's been a long wait

the wait is finally over, and the world is celebrating

post your favorite sonic pics itt

Doom85

Is it even tanking? It seems like it's neither a bomb or a smash hit.

Honestly, based on their budget and box office, Sonic is doing better than BOP (since BOP has been out a week longer) but really not by that much. I think it's just because a few BOP fans acted like assholes online, so suddenly some people are acting like we're comparing Waterworld and (blue alien) Avatar's box office.

Also, I'm finding it baffling that people are already confident it will be the highest grossing video game adaptation. It's made $130 million so far, which is a little under 1/3 of the $430 million that both Warcraft and Detective Pikachu made. Heck, Assassin's Creed made $240 million. Not saying Sonic might not surpass some or possibly even all of those, but people are racing towards conclusions faster than Sonic himself runs.

Yeah, how many times can riddick say "family" in this adaptation???

And it retcons the way he got shine eyes, so for that alone it is non canon :p

It doesn't ret-con, it simply keeps the little story of how he got his eye shine as he mentions in Pitch black since its not until Chronicles of Riddick that released later that same month/year they go into details about his Furyan race.

Riddick sort of does the same thing the Joker from Nolans Dark Knight does, as in how thing A came to be changes everytime he tells the story to someone new.

Top Bottom