• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

"It's OK to be White" signs on Campus

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Once again we see how super-simple memes can turn the Identity Politics Left into pretzels of hypocrisy.

Someone posted signs on a campus in Tennessee saying "It's OK to be White." Of course everybody goes into paroxysms of batshit hysteria. Counseling, awareness raising, committees and investigations, and a whole lot of moralizing and posturing.

Of course you can never get an explanation of exactly what the problem is. Is it the act of posting a leaflet in itself? Clearly not as this is a constant on nearly every University Campus. So is it the message? Is it NOT ok to be white?

Of course if you ask the bog standard college NPC you will just get the usual refrain of "racist, racist." Let us assume that a few if the pretentious midwits who make up the professoriate would at least be able to conjure some postmodernist explanation of how even if it is ok to be white it still is not ok to say it publicly or leaflet about it because structural racism, black bodies, systematic injustice, and Trump.

Maybe it is OK to be white as long as you continually walk around like some Black Death era mendicant whipping your own back with a rope of thorns, always allow minorities to speak first and stroke your beard and nod as if they are deeply profound by basis of skin color, and pretend that woke indy hip hop is actually good. But that doesn't fit on the flyer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/it-s-okay-be-white-signs-posted-tennessee-university-campus-n1076596

pennythots

May 14, 2019
No it's not it's fucking amazing.
People always assume the best of me, I'm drugged out of my mind and police don't fuck with me, no one locks their car doors while I walk by, no one ever scowls at me.

Sign me the fuck up in the next life this shit makes it so easy.

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018
People always assume the best of me, I'm drugged out of my mind and police don't fuck with me, no one locks their car doors while I walk by, no one ever scowls at me.

Nah, Jordan Peele showed me it can be equally as easy for everyone, you just got to own the right hoodie:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Just so we're clear, do you personally do these things to minorities?

monegames

Sep 26, 2014

Same here, except Im not white, and I live in the racist south.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Of course you can never get an explanation of exactly what the problem is.

Vandalizing a memorial in a racially charged manner seems pretty shitty to me.

You want to post a "ok to be white" poster on the hallway billboard, fine with me. I think its annoying and represents a melodramatic persecution complex, but you got the right to say what you want. But this is just racially charged bullshit that doesn't help anyone.

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018

You want to post a "ok to be white" poster on the hallway billboard, fine with me. I think its annoying and represents a melodramatic persecution complex, but you got the right to say what you want. But this is just racially charged bullshit that doesn't help anyone.
Oh shit, that clears things up. Yeah, the poster itself isn't an issue, but anyone putting it up specifically there is just being an asshole looking for attention.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Oh shit, that clears things up. Yeah, the poster itself isn't an issue, but anyone putting it up specifically there is just being an asshole looking for attention.
Not really, cause we have seen this before, with the flyers hung on hallway billboards as Sub_level said...same reaction.

Anyway, I call into question this memorializing of the "First Black......." that happens everywhere and about everything. Just another part of the white self-abnegation that is pounded into our heads from the time we are little kids.

Last edited:

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018
Not really, cause we have seen this before, with the flyers hung on hallway billboards as Sub_level said...same reaction.
Okay, but I was talking about the person who put those specific posters up. Still a little attention-needing shit in my eyes.

Reactions: hariseldon

monegames

Sep 26, 2014

The ones mentioned were placed on light poles and windows.

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Yes, but again, I am talking about whoever put them up in this specific spot.
You said the posters weren't an issue, only the placement. appaws appaws and myself were pointing out that it doesn't matter where they are placed, there are still calls of racism.

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018
You said the posters weren't an issue, only the placement. appaws appaws and myself were pointing out that it doesn't matter where they are placed, there are still calls of racism.
I said, "Yeah, the poster itself isn't an issue, but anyone putting it up specifically there is just being an asshole looking for attention" As in, I don't think the poster itself is an issue, not if other people think it's an issue.

And even if the person who put them in the specific spot Sub Level showed isn't necessarily racist (although lord knows they seem to want to be), they're at least a fucking asshole in my book.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Anyway, I call into question this memorializing of the "First Black......." that happens everywhere and about everything. Just another part of the white self-abnegation that is pounded into our heads from the time we are little kids.
Celebrating the first minority or woman doing anything is celebrating someone for having done something at a low difficulty setting that a white man did at the highest difficulty setting before them.

The first person to do anything is an incredible accomplishment. The first XXXX person to do something is riding the coattails of everyone who went before them.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Oh please, stop playing stupid. Putting those posters up on black memorials is a needlessly provocative attempt to rile people up. Anyone with a with brain cells can see that.

Also crying over black memorials as “pushing white self hatred” is pathetic as hell. Are you so spineless that a plaque on a wall honoring someone you don’t know hurts your self esteem? Explains this logic to me, do you need constant validation that your the master race or something?

Reactions: DeafTourette

Katsura

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2019
Oh please, stop playing stupid. Putting those posters up on black memorials is a needlessly provocative attempt to rile people up. Anyone with a with brain cells can see that.

Also crying over black memorials as “pushing white self hatred” is pathetic as hell. Are you so spineless that a plaque on a wall honoring someone you don’t know hurts your self esteem? Explains this logic to me, do you need constant validation that your the master race or something?
Just to be clear - are you denying we saw the same reactions when posters like this were put up on lampposts and walls?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Just to be clear - are you denying we saw the same reactions when posters like this were put up on lampposts and walls?
Did overwrought liberals clutch their pearls? Yes, I’m sure they did? So what? Why are you basing your opinion solely on the overreaction of progressives.

A lamppost and a plaque honoring someone are not the same thing. Those signs didn’t magically appear there. Their were placed there to send a message. This “woe is me, it is so hard to be white and in college” bullshit is embarrassing.

• Thoughtful

Katsura

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2019
Did overwrought liberals clutch their pearls? Yes, I’m sure they did? So what? Why are you basing your opinion solely on the overreaction of progressives.

A lamppost and a plaque honoring someone are not the same thing. Those signs didn’t magically appear there. Their were placed there to send a message. This “woe is me, it is so hard to be white and in college” bullshit is embarrassing.
No, i agree with the plaque thing. That's was a really stupid place to hang those signs. However, let's not pretend that's the only reason they're reacting because it's far from the first time this 4chan prank has been done and the response is always the same

As for basing my opinion on progressives - since they run the media and social media, they're the ones dictating what you can and cannot say online and in public in general. That's why i care. If it's ok to be proud of being black, gay, asian or trans then it's also ok to be proud of being white

pennythots

May 14, 2019
No, i agree with the plaque thing. That's was a really stupid place to hang those signs. However, let's not pretend that's the only reason they're reacting because it's far from the first time this 4chan prank has been done and the response is always the same

As for basing my opinion on progressives - since they run the media and social media, they're the ones dictating what you can and cannot say online and in public in general. That's why i care. If it's ok to be proud of being black, gay, asian or trans then it's also ok to be proud of being white
there's a distinct difference between rejecting ethnic pride and claiming that ethnic achievements being celebrated is some form of white erasure or attack on "whiteness"

Katsura

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2019
there's a distinct difference between rejecting ethnic pride and claiming that ethnic achievements being celebrated is some form of white erasure or attack on "whiteness"
I don't understand what you're saying at least not in the context of this topic

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018

Thank the White race for building a great reputation, even if you don't live up to it.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
The response from progressives would be

A. This originates from white supremacy groups
B. White people have a place of privilege in society and therefore these signs are not only not needed but place whites in a greater place of oppression compared to minorities which is racist and untrue/a falsehood
C. The goal of the signs is racist trying to make minorities feel uncomfortable

I think of course all of this is bullshit but those are the usual replies or variation that you'll get.

The reality should be "who gives a fuck" or "yeah it's ok to be anything " but progressives unwavering belief in Point B "muh oppression" forces their response.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Celebrating the first minority or woman doing anything is celebrating someone for having done something at a low difficulty setting that a white man did at the highest difficulty setting before them.

The first person to do anything is an incredible accomplishment. The first XXXX person to do something is riding the coattails of everyone who went before them.
What? Especially when speaking from an historical perspective, the first minority to accomplish a specific goal or task is still an incredible accomplishment. Depending on circumstances and the amount of adversity they had to overcome, it could be argued that it was harder to be the first of their minority group to reach a goal than it was for someone to reach it in the first place. The memorials that were covered up were specifically examples of students that predate the civil rights act. Do you honestly think these black students who were attending this school in the 1950s and 1960s were on a "lower difficulty setting" than the white students who attended when the college was first founded? Because I would guess very much the opposite.

You can hold onto your opinion that the phrase itself should inspire a collective shoulder shrug and "well yeah, it's okay have any skin color, or be any race or nationality," but this was presented with a directly "us vs them" mentality that should be condemned.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

You're getting flak for this but I 100% agree.

If someone beats Chess, why do we need to care if the next Chess player is female? If someone goes to Space, why do we care if the next astronaut is Asian or Mexican?

The benchmarks have already been set. Society should be aiming to keep raising the benchmark further, rather than dropping it.

And by the way, I apply this concept universally. Remember, at one point in history it was China who was responsible for a lot of innovations and breakthroughs. Yet when it came time for Europeans who caught up to them no one said "Oh cool, first white guy discovers scientific theory". We just kept moving on trying to set higher achievements instead.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
What? Especially when speaking from an historical perspective, the first minority to accomplish a specific goal or task is still an incredible accomplishment. Depending on circumstances and the amount of adversity they had to overcome, it could be argued that it was harder to be the first of their minority group to reach a goal than it was for someone to reach it in the first place. The memorials that were covered up were specifically examples of students that predate the civil rights act. Do you honestly think these black students who were attending this school in the 1950s and 1960s were on a "lower difficulty setting" than the white students who attended when the college was first founded? Because I would guess very much the opposite.

You can hold onto your opinion that the phrase itself should inspire a collective shoulder shrug and "well yeah, it's okay have any skin color, or be any race or nationality," but this was presented with a directly "us vs them" mentality that should be condemned.
It isn't an us vs them statement. If you claim to be the first xxx to do something INSTEAD of the first person to do something, that means someone else has done it before you.

Also, going to college is not exactly some sort of special feat. I am not talking about minor accomplishments.

I am not talking about the memorials to these students (tho I do question the need to have them in the first place).

To make an example - do you think someone who climbs Mt. Everest today as the first of their special subgroup accomplished the same thing as Sir Edmond Hillary and Tenzig Norgay did when they summited the mountain for the first time? Is a Sherpa hauling the first Transgender Latinx Owlkin to the top of Everest something to celebrate?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
The far left will take this as “being black is not ok” they always do. You can probably get banned for saying white, straight and proud on most social media platforms, as if that’s implying being a minority isn’t.

Yeah this is likely a troll attempt, but unlike the stupid straight pride parade which was really corny, this actuallyy has a place on campuses considering how many universities preach white privilege and white people are to blame for all the world’s problems. If someone wants to preach that the left have gone too far and there’s nothing wrong with being white, especially when people this year alone have come out with “I’m white and I’m so ashamed” by all means, do it.

Just that in a vacuum is not bad.

Reactions: Damage Inc

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
idgaf about the OK to be white meme in general. I see it as a defensive response to the virulent anti-white hatred that regressives spread in the name of “tolerance” and “inclusion” (aka soft cultural coup). Who started it does indeed matter despite what the dogmatic, feminised education system teaches our kids these days.

That said, putting the flyers up over memorials like this is mean-spirited, unnecessary, and counter-productive. Trust me, as GAF’s Meanest Member™, I’m an expert. Moreover, any idiot can see that, whilst it is initially a benign and innocent meme to mock the hypocrisy of the New Evangelicals, it will eventually be co-opted by legitimate white supremacists. Kinda like what happened with the Proud Boys. At that point, the game is no longer being played according to your rules, and you best distance yourself.

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
To make an example - do you think someone who climbs Mt. Everest today as the first of their special subgroup accomplished the same thing as Sir Edmond Hillary and Tenzig Norgay did when they summited the mountain for the first time?
No, especially as technology improves for something like that.

Is a Sherpa hauling the first Transgender Latinx Owlkin to the top of Everest something to celebrate?
No. Now would you answer my question?

Do you honestly think these black students who were attending this school in the 1950s and 1960s were on a "lower difficulty setting" than the white students who attended when the college was first founded? Because I would guess very much the opposite.
I am not talking about the memorials to these students (tho I do question the need to have them in the first place).
Well it is the subject of the thread, and a large part of why this particular use of these signs is being argued to be different from the usual situations, so maybe you should be.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
No, especially as technology improves for something like that.

No. Now would you answer my question?

Well it is the subject of the thread, and a large part of why this particular use of these signs is being argued to be different from the usual situations, so maybe you should be.
I was replying to Appaw’s statement.

My point stands. If the first person to step on Mars is black, will he be remembered as the first black man on mars or will he be the first man on mars?

Last edited:

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
My car automatically locks when I stick it into drive. Matter of fact all cars have been doing this for awhile now. So every time a white person starts to drive off a Blackman gets upset. I'll wait in my car now and watch them ever so carefully as to not tip my sinister plan to leave.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
A reputation of being killers, rapists and slavers?

What is this sanitized history you apparently subscribe to
Day to day reality. I was responding to a guy talking about people not locking their car door when he's around. I'm sure that's because of slavers, and killers. Nah, I was talking about the reputation from being underrepresented in almost all crime. Since you bring up killers. You might want to look into who makes up around 6 percent of the population, but commits over 50 percent of the murders. I'll give you a hint, it ain't White men.

Last edited:
Reactions: appaws and Zog