• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

"It's OK to be White" signs on Campus

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Why would historical fact make it meaningless?
If that ispart of the history of all cultures it is meaningless in relation to their reputation. If everyone did something no one would have a reputation of doing that thing. Would you say a guy had a reputation as a car driver if they drove to work daily? No, since almost everyone does that. Though you would say someone had a reputation as a walker, if they walked to work daily. Since that is something that separates them from the norm.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018

Vandalizing a memorial in a racially charged manner seems pretty shitty to me.

You want to post a "ok to be white" poster on the hallway billboard, fine with me. I think its annoying and represents a melodramatic persecution complex, but you got the right to say what you want. But this is just racially charged bullshit that doesn't help anyone.
That whole memorial is racial bullshit. Also they don't vandalize shit, zero damage was done towards it.

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019
So in this polarized thread am I allowed to say I’m ok with the memorial, ok with the fliers, don’t think tape compromises vandalism, but that the placement of the fliers is obviously a dick move?

Or is that to grey for the race war to start?
yeah, that's about where i am

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I saw one on a light pole off 5th and Commerce when I was downtown this week. Someone had tried to tear it off, I’m sure it triggered a few aliberals pretty hard

Xenon

So in this polarized thread am I allowed to say I’m ok with the memorial, ok with the fliers, don’t think tape compromises vandalism, but that the placement of the fliers is obviously a dick move?

Or is that to grey for the race war to start?

Yeah people on both sides can get petty. It was clearly done to piss people off. Not sure I'm all that broken up though since there is a need for the words to be said, especially in academia.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Vandalizing a memorial in a racially charged manner seems pretty shitty to me.

You want to post a "ok to be white" poster on the hallway billboard, fine with me. I think its annoying and represents a melodramatic persecution complex, but you got the right to say what you want. But this is just racially charged bullshit that doesn't help anyone.
To be fair, if the current generation is so woke trying to abolish racist things, then these kinds of racial recognition and awards should be abolished too.

Can't have it both ways.

Anyway, it's pretty dumb to even recognize people for things like this now. Ya, it was a segregated USA back then, but not the type of thing needed to show the world in 2019, since every race for decades can do what they want.

You get this kind of "black recognition" everywhere, especially on TV, but I can't remember the last time anyone recognized Oriental people, Native or East Indians for anything. A black person mows the lawn and rake leaves and some white guy will make an award for the first black person to landscape their home in history, which basically treats them like a retard.

I don't live in the US, and there's not a lot of Latino people here so I can understand no focus on them, but the only non-black recognition you see here for minorities is some old Canada Post (I think) TV ad where some old grandpa brings up Asian people got blown up building railway tunnels 100 years ago.

(Found it)

FMXVII

Aug 27, 2019
I find it very 20th Century, that we're still clinging to the whole construct of "White Race".

God knows the Early American Irish slaves weren't playing flutes and fiddles for joy at their "indentured at gun point" predicament.

< Not Irish, just sayin'.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't use that language. We are the the only group it's legal to discriminate against, well Asians too.
Becuase it makes your argument look idiotic.

Yet something tells me if I talked to the guy who posted that flyer, he wouldn’t stop crying about “white oppression” and “white genocide” blah blah blah.

White people are just as addicted to this culture of petty victim hood as they complain others are

FMXVII

Aug 27, 2019

Yet something tells me if I talked to the guy who posted that flyer, he wouldn’t stop crying about “white oppression” and “white genocide” blah blah blah.

White people are just as addicted to this culture of petty victim hood as they complain others are
Nah.

Straight White Males do not exist beyond the socio-economic construct.

AKA the Pinata.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
If that ispart of the history of all cultures it is meaningless in relation to their reputation. If everyone did something no one would have a reputation of doing that thing. Would you say a guy had a reputation as a car driver if they drove to work daily? No, since almost everyone does that. Though you would say someone had a reputation as a walker, if they walked to work daily. Since that is something that separates them from the norm.
Why are you only focusing on things that are not of the norm? So it’s not part of history of group X does something if group Y does the same thing.

This sounds like an excuse to whitewash history

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Why are you only focusing on things that are not of the norm? So it’s not part of history of group X does something if group Y does the same thing.

This sounds like an excuse to whitewash history
Never said it wasn't part of their history. Just that if everyone does something you aren't going to say that is was they are known for, ie. their reputation. The jews in the ancient world were known for their belief in only 1 god. Why? Because it was not the norm. Jews had slaves, but it wasn't what anyone would mention when describing them. Why? Again because everyone else was doing it.

Reactions: Katsura

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018

No shit! We live in a victim culture created by your ilk. You can't blame people for taking part when they see massive hypocrisy. I personally just don't value weakness.

Your anti-White is on full display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katsura

FMXVII

Aug 27, 2019
¹
Never said it wasn't part of their history. Just that if everyone does something you aren't going to say that is was they are known for, ie. their reputation. The jews in the ancient world were known for their belief in only 1 god. Why? Because it was not the norm. Jews had slaves, but it wasn't what anyone would mention when describing them. Why? Again because everyone else was doing it.

🤔

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
I kinda like the idea of putting up signs randomly that say "It's OK to be white." It's an interesting message about how we're living in a strange time where every white person is supposed to accept that they're inherently evil due do their race when that's clearly a ridiculous thought.

But I don't really understand the point of targeting something that's celebrating black people with these signs. It just takes the previously innocuous message and turns it into a racist one.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Yes, it's ok to be white.

It's not ok to be a racist penis breather.

It reminds me about "pro-blackness". I can be pro-black and NOT anti-insert race. Just as i can be pro-black and have a non-black wife and friends.

Yet pro-white doesn't usually carry that same implication or meaning. It's usually pro-white and anti-everyone else.

I get that there's exceptions to INDIVIDUAL meanings of pro-white to parallel pro-black, but usually it's about white supremacy.

Context and intent mean a lot when these posters go up.

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
It's (not) OK to be a minority on GAF (post 10/2017)?

OP, you're not even one of the infiltrators from a certain quarantined Reddit? How does it benefit the discourse to complain about this?

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
It isn't an us vs them statement.
If there's confusion, allow me to explain my thoughts. I'm saying that the posting of these signs over a memorial commemorating black students who went to the school before the civil rights act was even a thing was specifically presented in an "us vs them" fashion. This was done to upset people, not to simply disagree with those who fashionably find it "woke" to negatively generalize white people.

Would you agree with that? Race relations isn't a zero-sum game. To discourage generalizations about one group, people don't have to even refer to other groups, much less display a message over a memorial dedicated to them.

Reactions: DeafTourette

.rain

Banned
Nov 6, 2016
It'a ok to be white, black, yellow, red, green.

People make some silly borders. If you are green but you're ok then it's ok to me.

Let's hope people from Africa and Asia think the same of Europe.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Context and intent mean a lot when these posters go up.
But you cannot possibly know the intent. In the case of taping them over the memorials you can make some educated guesses, but what about the ones posted on light posts or bulletin boards? By what metric could you possibly ascertain “this person is obviously racist” when all you have to go on is the literal message of the paper, which you say agree with?

Last edited:

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
No it's not it's fucking amazing.
People always assume the best of me, I'm drugged out of my mind and police don't fuck with me, no one locks their car doors while I walk by, no one ever scowls at me.

Sign me the fuck up in the next life this shit makes it so easy.
I'm white and that definitely isn't how it works for me. Isn't that weird? It's almost like there are more differences in people than their race, that people aren't defined by their race and that everyone has something unique to them.

Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Thank the White race for building a great reputation, even if you don't live up to it.
Day to day reality. I was responding to a guy talking about people not locking their car door when he's around. I'm sure that's because of slavers, and killers. Nah, I was talking about the reputation from being underrepresented in almost all crime. Since you bring up killers. You might want to look into who makes up around 6 percent of the population, but commits over 50 percent of the murders. I'll give you a hint, it ain't White men.
Dude, you know what I meant! Don't play dumb!

But you cannot possibly know the intent. In the case of taping them over the memorials you can make some educated guesses, but what about the ones posted on light posts or bulletin boards? By what metric could you possibly ascertain “this person is obviously racist” when all you have to go on is the literal message of the paper, which you say agree with?
Which is why I said context as well! I don't care that they were also over light posts... But over these memorials of black people? THAT shows racist intent!

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
No shit! We live in a victim culture created by your ilk. You can't blame people for taking part when they see massive hypocrisy. I personally just don't value weakness.

Your anti-White is on full display.
Oh no my “anti-white”.😂 Do you hear how stupid you sound? I’m anti white becuase I don’t buy your “woe is me, being white is so hard” bullshit?

You’re not being genocided you idiot. 🙄 stop acting like a pathetic victim

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I'm white and that definitely isn't how it works for me. Isn't that weird? It's almost like there are more differences in people than their race, that people aren't defined by their race and that everyone has something unique to them.
I've often had white people lock their car doors when I walk by only for them to get out of their cars after I've walked a certain distance away (I can hear via my cochlear implant). I've been told I'm "threatening" just because of how I look. I almost lost my job over that because a white dude thought I was glaring at him "threateningly" (I was watching TV in the break room and not even looking at him). Shoot, me and another co-worker were both looking at the same thing but I was singled out (co-worker is white). I've been in elevators and sometimes the white person in there with me moves over away from me or clutches their purse tight. I can go on....

And to provide context, this is me and what I look like on a regular basis!

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
Ofc it's OK to be white - Noone is saying otherwise other than a few extremist bigots that a lot of folks on here tend to obsessively focus over. Like the all lives matter movement, thanks for making it clear to everyone that you completely missed the point. Yes all lives matter you dimwit, that's the fucking point

Edit

yeah this isn't racist or aggressive at all

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Which is why I said context as well! I don't care that they were also over light posts... But over these memorials of black people? THAT shows racist intent!
Sure, but that was a single incident vs. the many instances of the signs being taped to poles, windows, walls, bulletin boards, etc.

Do you believe all these instances are racist as well?

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Ofc it's OK to be white - Noone is saying otherwise other than a few extremist bigots that a lot of folks on here tend to obsessively focus over.
Do you have the same attitude toward the people who believe nazis and white supremacists are everywhere and are growing in number?

Or is obsessing over a tiny extremist minority only bad when one side does it?

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Sure, but that was a single incident vs. the many instances of the signs being taped to poles, windows, walls, bulletin boards, etc.

What did I just say?

I clearly said one was racist. Did I say the others were? I was clear in what I said and you're trying to pull teeth from a stone?

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

Context matters. If you are not racist you are not going around in the middle of the night putting up flyers that say it's OK to be white.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Pretty sure it’s been stated multiple times that context matters. Why is that a difficult concept to understand?
Do you have the same attitude toward the people who believe nazis and white supremacists are everywhere and are growing in number?

so if it’s a tiny minority they can’t be criticized when they do something stupid

Reactions: DeafTourette

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

Not in the states. Europe can be a little scary however

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Pretty sure it’s been stated multiple times that context matters. Why is that a difficult concept to understand?
Well evidently context doesn’t matter, because I was just that everyone who puts the poster up is racist.

so if it’s a tiny minority they can’t be criticized when they do something stupid
So we’re in agreement, extremist voices can be criticized regardless of number.

I just said there's nothing inherently racist about the signs
But you said no non-racist person would ever put up the sign. Which is it?

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
No, you refuse to address the others, which is why I’m asking you directly.

Are those instances racist?
Nonracists don't need to put up flyers saying "it's ok to be white". The VAST majority of white people don't think like this nor are they SJWs who hate themselves for being white. They're JUST white.

It COULD be racist BUT it could also be that they're obsessed with SJWs and think they're being made to feel bad for being white.

Some of y'all have this hyperinflated sense of Doom and gloom because of what a minority of people (SJWs) say or do as if they are the majority or hold VAST sway over other white people. Step off the internet!

• Fire
Reactions: OptimusApex

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
Ok, I guess I have to spell it out for you. Theres nothing inherently racist about saying it's OK to be white, obviously. However, if you're going around at night posting signs that say it's OK to be white, you're a racist prick. And you're defending those people, and that's okay.

Can you imagine a non racist person going around in the middle of the night posting signs that say it's OK to be white? I can't.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Nonracists don't need to put up flyers saying "it's ok to be white". The VAST majority of white people don't think like this nor are they SJWs who hate themselves for being white. They're JUST white.

It COULD be racist BUT it could also be that they're obsessed with SJWs and think they're being made to feel bad for being white.

Some of y'all have this hyperinflated sense of Doom and gloom because of what a minority of people (SJWs) say or do as if they are the majority or hold VAST sway over other white people. Step off the internet!
White supremacists have no sway either.

Alas, BLM exists.

You can’t say “you’re just paranoid” when you’ve fooled yourself into believing there’s a nazi around every corner.

Katsura

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2019
Ok, I guess I have to spell it out for you. Theres nothing inherently racist about saying it's OK to be white, obviously. However, if you're going around at night posting signs that say it's OK to be white, you're a racist prick. And you're defending those people, and that's okay.

Can you imagine a non racist person going around in the middle of the night at posting signs that say it's OK to be white? I can't.
I can. It's simple. It's to expose how the crazy lefties are extremely racist. Now, please explain how hanging those signs is racist