• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its time to choose, PS2 or PS4? Which has the best library?

Best library between PS2 or PS4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been thinking long and hard about this. Both are great systems that have a variety of games of all types. Both Have gained the interest of over 100 million people, and both have been the #1 choice beating out the competition of their times.

However for me, I still prefer the PS2. Sony's first-party back then, call me crazy, was better in my opinion. You had games like Jak and Ratchet, GT3, Gow, Sly, partnerships that allowed us to see the rise of GTA with GTA3, Final Fantasy X, Kingdoms Hearts, Time Crisis, the new genration of Mortal Kombat and Syphon Filter.

While the PS4 had good games, I feel like the variety and quality took a hit to go down the Cinematic experience direction. I feel a game such as The Order 1886 would have been better if it was more arcady and Gears of War like instead of a game that put much of its budget on cinema, so much to the point where you had black bars. The game design took a hit because of that, and I feel that's not the only game that got effected by going down this direction.

They have been improving though, maybe the PS5 will change that, but between the Ps2 and PS4 I feel the library was still better on PS2. But it's not a huge gap, PS4 is also a quality platform. If you buy one I recommend the Pro though.

Poll will close in June as I suspect we'll hear about the PS5 around then.

II_JumPeR_I

To me the best Playstation generations were PS1 and 2. After that everything turned into super serious cinematic simulators, its especially like this on PS4, where almost every game looks and plays the same. A reason why i dont like any of this exclusive games.

Thats my take as a Xbox only owner.

Last edited:

wipeout364

PS2 without a doubt. The number of exclusives was mind blowing. Sony has had good output this gen but outside of that there are not too many exclusive games.

PS2 had Rockstar, Square, much of Capcom and Konami’s output. Xbox got thrown some bones but it was generally completely one sided.

PS4. I like the PS2 era but not enough to say the games have aged well (some have but a lot haven't).

PS4 does however have it's own problems but I still prefer it.

JimiNutz

Banned
PS2 was probably the best PlayStation generation but I think I own more PS4 games and have spent a lot more time playing the PS4 than I ever did the PS2 so my vote goes to PS4.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It really depends on how the PS4 ends up, and since I don't believe the PS4 has (yet) surpassed the PS2, I'll say PS2 for now.

My most-played PS2 game...

51R80T4CF2L._AC_SX215_.jpg

(Edit: Dodonpachi Daioujou)

...surpasses my two most-played PS4 games...

514w3uwI6sL._SX342_.jpg
71rbvu3PyFL._SX425_.jpg

Since I've spent more hours on PS2 games, I have to give that library the nod.

However, I think the PS4 has an honest shot of surpassing the system eventually in terms of library size and library quality, in no small part due to all the ports and compilations. My PS4 library is larger than my PS2 library already and I only see that gap widening in the next 5 years.

Lots of really good shmups, fighting games, and puzzle games (3 fav genres) coming out for PS4.

I have 11 fighting games, 8 puzzle games, and 19 shmups for PS2.
I have 10 fighting games, 2 puzzle games, and 15 shmups for PS4.

A small but important distinction is that my PS2 plays natively on a CRT and often in 240p, while the PS4 requires extra hardware. Latency is a major factor in my gaming and so I have to give the PS2 some credit for being more natively compatible with CRT gaming. Not very meaningful for most puzzle games or fighting games, but essential for shmups.

Last edited:
It really depends on how the PS4 ends up, and since I don't believe the PS4 has (yet) surpassed the PS2, I'll say PS2 for now.

My most-played PS2 game...

51R80T4CF2L._AC_SX215_.jpg

...surpasses both of my two most-played PS4 games...

514w3uwI6sL._SX342_.jpg
71rbvu3PyFL._SX425_.jpg

Since I've spent more hours on PS2 games, I have to give that library the nod.

However, I think the PS4 has an honest shot of surpassing the system eventually in terms of library size and library quality, in no small part due to all the ports and compilations. My PS4 library is larger than my PS2 library already and I only see that gap widening in the next 5 years.

Lots of really good shmups, fighting games, and puzzle games (3 fav genres) coming out for PS4.

I have 11 fighting games, 8 puzzle games, and 19 shmups for PS2.
I have 10 fighting games, 2 puzzle games, and 15 shmups for PS4.

A small but important distinction is that my PS2 plays natively on a CRT and often in 240p, while the PS4 requires extra hardware. Latency is a major factor in my gaming and so I have to give the PS2 some credit for being more natively compatible with CRT gaming. Not very meaningful for most puzzle games or fighting games, but essential for shmups.

So you gonna tell us the name of that ps2 game?

Raph64

giphy.gif

I would be down for a PS2 Classic Mini even though they’re probably gonna fuck up this one again.

Last edited:

NahaNago

the ps4 is just at this time a weak copy cat of the ps2 when it comes to games. We had 3 devil may cry game made during the ps2 gen,4 ratchet and clank, shadow of the colossus, like 4ish metal gear solid games, and 2 god of war games. Considering how this gen is coming to a close fairly quickly I just don't see the ps4 games surpassing what the ps2 games did.

fallingdove

I've been thinking long and hard about this. Both are great systems that have a variety of games of all types. Both Have gained the interest of over 100 million people, and both have been the #1 choice beating out the competition of their times.

However for me, I still prefer the PS2. Sony's first-party back then, call me crazy, was better in my opinion. You had games like Jak and Ratchet, GT3, Gow, Sly, partnerships that allowed us to see the rise of GTA with GTA3, Final Fantasy X, Kingdoms Hearts, Time Crisis, the new genration of Mortal Kombat and Syphon Filter.

While the PS4 had good games, I feel like the variety and quality took a hit to go down the Cinematic experience direction. I feel a game such as The Order 1886 would have been better if it was more arcady and Gears of War like instead of a game that put much of its budget on cinema, so much to the point where you had black bars. The game design took a hit because of that, and I feel that's not the only game that got effected by going down this direction.

They have been improving though, maybe the PS5 will change that, but between the Ps2 and PS4 I feel the library was still better on PS2. But it's not a huge gap, PS4 is also a quality platform. If you buy one I recommend the Pro though.

Poll will close in June as I suspect we'll hear about the PS5 around then.

The fact that you bring up The Order 1886 as the representation of the PS4’s library completely discredits your post.

The variety on the PS4 was fine. Just to remind you, Sony developed/published:

Resogun
Sound Shapes
Driveclub
LittleBigPlanet 3
MLB 14,15,16,17
The Unfinished Swan
Bloodborne
Fat Princess Adventures
Tearaway Unfolded
Gravity Rush Remastered/Gravity Rush 2
Gran Turismo Sport
Nioh
Drawn to death
The Last Guardian
Astro Bot

And Dreams is on its way.

“PS4 only has cinematic/walking simulators” is a tired argument from those that are trying to justify their Xbox purchase.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
PS2 easily. There were so many iconic games instead of all these shooters

For their respective times, the PS2 was better.

If you're just judging based on the raw quality of their libraries without considering historical context, it's the PS4.

Voted PS4 since the question was which console has the best library.

Terce

Apart from Bloodborne, my favourite games on PS4 are just remakes of PS2 games and unfortunately the PS4 is still missing some of the best ones.

I've been using the same PS2 slim since I replaced my original PS2 way back when. When it goes down, I will do everything I can to find a working replacement. PS2 along with N64 have enough great games to keep me satiated forever

The fact that you bring up The Order 1886 as the representation of the PS4’s library completely discredits your post.

The variety on the PS4 was fine. Just to remind you, Sony developed/published:

Resogun
Sound Shapes
Driveclub
LittleBigPlanet 3
MLB 14,15,16,17
The Unfinished Swan
Bloodborne
Fat Princess Adventures
Tearaway Unfolded
Gravity Rush Remastered/Gravity Rush 2
Gran Turismo Sport
Nioh
Drawn to death
The Last Guardian
Astro Bot

And Dreams is on its way.

“PS4 only has cinematic/walking simulators” is a tired argument from those that are trying to justify their Xbox purchase.

The majority of their biggest marketed titles are cinematic experiences, and some of the Indies and Vita related games on your list dont interest everyone and aren't a as big as, like say Killzone which sold to a higher amount of people. Sure it adds but it pads out the library, something the PS2 didn't need.

The PS2 didnt need that it had its own library of games with larger variety and ON TOP of that got PSP ports and a healthy AA scene which these days is not very common. The PS4s overall library needs padding, the PS2s didn't.

Also where did Xbox come from? It's not all about the wars, this is about the PS4 compared to the PS2. I keep seeing Xbox in PS focused threads including the "how will Sony surpass ps4" one, come on guys. Let's keep discussion positive.

Dodonpachi Daioujou is the full title.

怒首領蜂 大往生 Dodonpachi Daiōjō (copypasta'd from Wiki).

On further research apparently it's "Winner Furious Bee" so i guess it's Winner Dodonpachi Daiojo.

You should be careful about messing with those furious bees though. Ouch.

In ten years, I’ll still be able to play my PS2 games. Not so much my PS4 games. With spotty internet, I’ve become aware of how many games won’t even work without an internet connection, being signed into a PSN account or at the very least, downloading major parts through day one patches.

John Day

It was hard to choose, but i voted PS2 because back then I had way more time to sit down and play games start to finish.

Nowadays, i love the PS4 library, but mostly play by piecemeal.

In ten years, I’ll still be able to play my PS2 games. Not so much my PS4 games. With spotty internet, I’ve become aware of how many games won’t even work without an internet connection, being signed into a PSN account or at the very least, downloading major parts through day one patches.
My partial remedy to this is I don't buy games that crash on day one or received games changes like ff15. Then we'll have to back up patches on external drives for the future. So I only have like 20 ps4 games lol.

That's even if the hardware lasts that long meanwhile my n64 will probably last forever.

fallingdove

The majority of their biggest marketed titles are cinematic experiences, and some of the Indies and Vita related games on your list dont interest everyone and aren't a as big as, like say Killzone which sold to a higher amount of people. Sure it adds but it pads out the library, something the PS2 didn't need.

The PS2 didnt need that it had its own library of games with larger variety and ON TOP of that got PSP ports and a healthy AA scene which these days is not very common. The PS4s overall library needs padding, the PS2s didn't.

Also where did Xbox come from? It's not all about the wars, this is about the PS4 compared to the PS2. I keep seeing Xbox in PS focused threads including the "how will Sony surpass ps4" one, come on guys. Let's keep discussion positive.

How does what Sony chooses to market change the overall library available on the PS4?

Also, in what universe were there PSP ports on PS2? And didn’t the AA games of the PS2 era just become indies?

Lastly, the argument you made that PS4 focuses on cinematic games is a false narrative and is often used by Xbox fans. That’s why I brought it up.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PS4. I'd like to think nostalgia is not so powerful as to allow me to ignore blatant overall improvement in various aspect of games these days.

Stuart360

Is this a serious question?, PS2 probably has the largest and most diverse library of any console ever, nevermind PS4 lol.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is this a serious question?, PS2 probably has the largest and most diverse library of any console ever, nevermind PS4 lol.
Entirely depends on the genre you're into.

PS4 has far more Western RPGs compared to the PS2. Whether we're talking "old school" CRPGs like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity, etc., or hack 'n slash like Diablo III and Alienation, or Witcher 3 or Skyrim, PS4 absolutely trounces the PS2 in this category.

Or when it comes to open-world titles, PS4 wins again by a wide margin.

Or when it comes to first person games, PS4 wins again by an incredible margin.

Lots of survival, simulation, twin-stick, and racing titles available too, stuff that the PS2 didn't get a lot of. (EDIT: actually, it did get quite a ton of racing games).

I voted for PS2, but the PS4's library is pretty diverse.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
PS2 best game : Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo 4, Silent Hill 2

PS4 best game : Bloodborne, Spiderman, Uncharted 4 At Thieves End, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous Second Son, God of War

Still coming : The Last of Us II, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima

i vote PS4

Last edited:

Ridaxan

As someone who's finally realized that nostalgia is rarely as rosy as you remember it I have to go with the PS4. Most games on PS2 plays like trash by today's standard.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The depth and breadth of the PS2 library is pretty insane, even more so if you import. It was paradise for fans of JRPGs, tons of great action games, lots of racing games, so many platformers, lots of fighting games, great shmups. The only platform that comes close in my mind the DS while factoring in backward compatibility with the GBA. Under that circumstance the handheld holds its own decently well against the PS2, but Sony's console still edges it out IMO.

Alexa88

Neo Member
For every great ps2 game there is two or three better ones on ps4. I loved every ps gen but for me it is Ps4>ps3>Psx>ps2.

Top Bottom