• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT - We post moody, captivating concept art

Concept art can be awesome. It can be especially awesome if the art is more ambitious, atmospheric and emotive than what made it into the actual game.

In this thread - we post the concept pieces that we feel are absolutely captivating.

Rules

1) Only real, official concept art allowed.

2) Name the games the art comes from, so people who haven't played it know what you are referring to.

3) Don't overload your post with images from one game/series, instead choose the very best ONE IMAGE you've seen from that game and post that.

4) Say why you like it. Words are needed for this.

My favourites

Metroid Prime

metroidd.jpg

The rain, vivid colours and prominent architecture give this more intensity, darkness and alienness than its portrayal in the game.

Grim Fandango

concept1.jpg

I love this, it takes their outrageous designs and makes it completely normal. The woman at the door is really forboding.

Legacy of Kain (Defiance)

con_10.jpg

Raziel looks on as Avernus burns. I really like the mood of a world-gone-mad, and Raziel's withered, lonely frame as he eyes his next crisis.

Half-Life 2

Soldier_memory_replacement.jpg

The dehumanisation of man, as he literally becomes the puppet of a machine. We even have puppet strings in the form of the cables plugging into his body, replacing his memory with a Combine-approved template.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

nightsconc.jpg

As NiGHTS and Reala fight as equals in a nightmare nonreality, Wizeman's shadow forming in the darkness is borderline demonic.

Your turn

GO!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Epic Mickey

ra0lc3.jpg

Portrays a bleak, twisted, and imaginative world replete with conflicting ideologies.

:lol

J-Roderton

syo9pu.jpg

Halo 3 ODST
I like it because it's Halo and the only concept art that came to mind.
It was darker than the other Halo games. The night missions where awesome.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
First two posts, read the rules. First is HL3, but what's the second?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Turok concept art from my days at Propaganda, from one of the most talented concept artists in the biz today - Daryl Mandryk.

sg3a69.jpg

Turok cover concept. We were heavily considering submitting this for the Play magazine cover, but ended up going in a different direction. Still my all-time favorite piece of Turok art.

2m6kf85.jpg

Concept art for the Rootworld level.

Arcipello

*cough* some capcom game....bionic something or other :p

Water_Patrol___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.jpg

The_caves___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.png

The_Hanger___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.jpg

*sneaks away*

lol ill find some other stuff, cant believe we haven't had a thread like this for such a long time. may it live long

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone post that supposed Bioshock 2 concept art?

Mik2121

Arcipello said:
*cough* some capcom game....bionic something or other :p

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/133/5/d/Water_Patrol___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/140/9/a/The_caves___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/134/4/0/The_Hanger___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.jpg[IMG]

*sneaks away*

lol ill find some other stuff, cant believe we haven't had a thread like this for such a long time. may it live long[/QUOTE]
Man those are some really crappy sketches. I hope the guy who made them gets fired...

[spoiler]Love your stuff! But I think the one I enjoyed the most was this snowy piece with some red flags or something. That one was awesome.[/spoiler]

sdornan

It's a shame that, in most cases, the final result never looks as beautiful or stylized as the concept. I suppose there are good reasons for that though.

Ah whoops, not supposed to show fan-stuff in this thread, but I just wanted to share that SOTC image :lol

I'll also submit this Persona 3 piece then to offset it:

24lju3p.jpg

2h3pgzq.jpg

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Artist - Ayami Kojima

I am a HUGE fan of Ayami Kojima. Don't care what it's for, whether it's Castlevania or something unrelated, her artwork is magnificent. She is a master of her craft and style: Traditionally hand painted (none of her stuff is digital), Gothic and sexy, reminds me of Frazetta somehow. I adore the techniques she uses. Her paintings are stuff I could simply stare at for hours, just to look at the detail.

V_Ben

Banned
I remember loving this piece when i first saw it. From the 2008 Prince of Persia Game :)

prince-of-persia-20080527114802267.jpg

Love the relaxed palette, and the layout of the landscape looks somehow ruined and idyllic. Destroyed Beauty indeed.

Oli

Concept art is always so amazing. I wish that games could capture what they offer, but sadly they usually do not.

Sibylus

Banned
Google isn't turning up the HL2 concept art set in the "Anticitizen One" chapter, the one where pure white light is flooding into an indoor tunnel. Remarkable because the actual in-game environment is the spitting image of that.

WillyFive

Not to post more Epic Mickey, but...

1297211-the_last_story_concept_art.jpg

It's the one that came to mind in recent memory. I would actually like to see a Final Fantasy game in all it's original style glory.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dabookerman said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2h3pgzq.jpg[IMG]

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Artist - Ayami Kojima

I am a HUGE fan of Ayami Kojima. Don't care what it's for, whether it's Castlevania or something unrelated, her artwork is magnificent. She is a master of her craft and style: Traditionally hand painted (none of her stuff is digital), Gothic and sexy, reminds me of Frazetta somehow. I adore the techniques she uses. Her paintings are stuff I could simply stare at for hours, just to look at the detail.[/QUOTE]
My favorite aspect about her art is the textures she uses in her paintings. It just gives the paintings much more depth and detail.

Linkup

sdornan said:
Fallout 3

Love Fallout 3's art style and atmosphere. Looks a lot like the end result actually.

That's strange, I would stay it captured little if nothing of what that concept art expresses.

WillyFive

SuperAngelo64 said:
Epic Mickey had some spectacular concept art.

Shame the final product is looking to be shit.

You don't know that. We have seen next to nothing, what we have seen may be from even the same level.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Willy105 said:
Not to post more Epic Mickey, but...
It's the one that came to mind in recent memory. I would actually like to see a Final Fantasy game in all it's original style glory.

Oh, god. Now I want a watercolor'd Final Fantasy game on the Playstation 4.

Totally forgot about the Elebits concept art. Very dreamy. Love it.

Iirc, there also was an introduction film/trailer (perhaps it's in the game) in that style. Looked great.

Log4Girlz

Noogy said:
All these amazing 2D artists in the industry, and we get nothing but the same ol' 3D. What a shame.

A lot of the painting technique and lighting can be used for some amazing cel-shaded visuals. Sigh.

fernoca

Noogy said:
All these amazing 2D artists in the industry, and we get nothing but the same ol' 3D. What a shame.
Yeah..but, making those "amazing" 2D arts..is one thing, giving life ot them..animating them is another.

Mike M

Nick N
soldat7 said:
I want to play a game with this artstyle right now.

Dewey's Adventure's concept artwork was in the same style, and the game more closely resembled it than Elebits.

Unfortunately, the game's not worth playing like... at all...

Top Bottom