• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've completed Uncharted 4 again

Jon Neu

Banned
Still an impressive game from every perspective; graphics, gameplay, art style, immersion. Yeah, I know some people have the wrong opinion about the game, the pace is critiziced a lot, but I actually found it to be amazing. You don't know where the game is gonna take you and the different paces makes it breath and adds to the immersion and the cinematic experience. Uncharted 4 it's a classic and I can't wait to play it on the PS5 with enhanced features.

Watching Sam, Nathan and Sullivan together is comfy as fuck . There is a nice chemistry between them and I would watch their over the top adventures forever.

Also the flashbacks of Nathan and Sam when they were kids add a good touch to their backstory and personalities. For the first time, I found the characters charismatic and I cared about them.

I really hope there is an Uncharted 5 with the old gang in the near future.

Last edited:
Good game, but it was about 5 hours too long. I actually thought I had beaten it and entered the post game sequence, but nope. It just went on and on, from that point. The spin off is a lot better, despite featuring that insufferable 'badass' chick.

My ranking:

4 spin off

I would list mine the same except 3 is my least favorite. All good games though. 2 is a masterpiece

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good game, but it was about 5 hours too long. I actually thought I had beaten it and entered the post game sequence, but nope. It just went on and on, from that point. The spin off is a lot better, despite featuring that insufferable 'badass' chick.

My ranking:

4 spin off
for me it's 3,2,4,LL,1

Fbh

I really enjoyed my first playthrough but I think the slow pacing and bigger focus on story/cinematics/walking and talking really hurt it on replays.
It's really a shame that they massively cut back on the number of combat encounters because the actual combat gameplay is better than ever. And it's also a shame that unlike Uncharted 2 and 3 it only has one really cool setpiece moment which they spoiled during E3.

The visuals are still amazing though

Last edited:
As far as the initial first-time playthrough I liked it better than 3 but it was definitely longer than I would have preferred for such gameplay and after awhile the climbing became completely overkill to the point I can only call it empty filler.

Still...was mostly entertaining though it's difficult to ever see myself playing through it again.

And the final stage would be them going to the moon :messenger_alien_monster:

Hellll yeah

giphy.gif

The gameplay is unengaging and not the focus of the game. It looks incredible and and it's a very smooth experience, but it's a cinematic game through and through with everything that comes with the "genre".
A game in which you run, jump, swim, climb, shoot and drive vehicles, is not a 'walking simulator'.

Firewatch is a walking simulator. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a walking simulator. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a walking simulator. Uncharted isn't.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Never liked the original Uncharted trilogy, but A Thief's End (& Lost Legacy) really won me over. I think ND finally nailed how combat should feel, with the simple addition of the rope and the slight tweaks they made to gun feedback.

The setting & characters were always great, but with part 4 I thought the gunplay finally felt right. Which made the game the complete package really.

A game in which you run, jump, swim, climb, shoot and drive vehicles, is not a 'walking simulator'.

Firewatch is a walking simulator. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a walking simulator. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a walking simulator. Uncharted isn't.

It's not a walking simulator, but it's a cinematic game. There's 0 mechanical complexity. It's not that far from walking simulators, the problem is there's a pejorative undertone associated with those. You don't play Uncharted for the rich gameplay because it isn't there, you play it for the visual spectacle, for the insane production value, for the story and characters, the strengths are elsewhere.

GymWolf

It's not a walking simulator, but it's a cinematic game. There's 0 mechanical complexity. It's not that far from walking simulators, the problem is there's a pejorative undertone associated with those. You don't play Uncharted for the rich gameplay because it isn't there, you play it for the visual spectacle, for the insane production value, for the story and characters, the strengths are elsewhere.
uncharted 4 is kinda in the middle, great movements and good gunplay but shitty story\new pg and pacing, the graphic and a couple of set-pieces are still great.
for me, the improvement in the shooting from u3 to u4 is more noticeable than when you pass from gears1 to gears 5, too bad there is very little of it.
i completed this fucking game in a 2-3 months time span because the tedious parts make me leave the game at times, never happened with the first 2 unchy games or tlou.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Love the Uncharted games.

Naughty Dog giving us hit after hit after hit. They are the best at what they do and almost the sole reason I'll be most likely sticking to PS5 when Sony as a company seem so out of touch with the fanbase this past year.

Moses85

I beat every Uncharted game (including Golden Abyss, which I enjoyed), some of them multiple times.

But I gave up on U4 after the first two hours. Could've been in a bad mood or something, and I wasn't going in expecting a masterpiece, just a good Uncharted game.

I get the platinum trophy’s in all games except UC4... played it once, finished it on the hardest difficulty but had zero interest in playing it again.

CJ_75

Uncharted 4 tapped every bit of power the base PS4 has. I think Naughty Dog were way too busy to enhance the game to even greater visuals for the PS4 Pro. This was the first game I thought to play again when I bought the Pro and a 4K Oled tv. Going to play Uncharted 4 again as soon as I am finished replaying Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Miles708

I've never played any Uncharted, but I'm somehow intrigued by the slower pace and bigger breadth of the enviroments.
Does it make sense to play without having played any other chapter? Would it be enjoyable at all?

Last edited:

Keihart

looks cool, fun shooty bits

negatives:
- end boss is a QTE
- walking in the desert bit. yawn.
- too many walking bits in general. these are clearly just there to show off the flash graphics. If I wanted to walk in nature I'd go do the real thing - I'm playing this game to MURDER PEOPLE
this reads like an uncharted 3 angry review

Last edited:
uncharted 4 is kinda in the middle, great movements and good gunplay but shitty story\new pg and pacing, the graphic and a couple of set-pieces are still great.
for me, the improvement in the shooting from u3 to u4 is more noticeable than when you pass from gears1 to gears 5, too bad there is very little of it.
i completed this fucking game in a 2-3 months time span because the tedious parts make me leave the game at times, never happened with the first 2 unchy games or tlou.

I honestly don't see much improvement in the shooting, I think the gunplay is still middling. I think the series got really stale after the huge improvements the second one had over the first. The movement is good but it's terribly automatic. Ironically, and I'm not trying to shitpost here, walking around is what feels the best in the game because Nathan has good movement feedback.

GymWolf

I honestly don't see much improvement in the shooting, I think the gunplay is still middling. I think the series got really stale after the huge improvements the second one had over the first. The movement is good but it's terribly automatic. Ironically, and I'm not trying to shitpost here, walking around is what feels the best in the game because Nathan has good movement feedback.
maybe you don't remember the shooting in unchy 2-3, it was abysmal.
uncharted 4 has very good enemy reaction, ragdoll, better aim, far more fluid movements and some spectacular stuff like the grapling hook used in combat, it's by far the best part of the game in terms of gameplay and on hard or very hard the gunshooting are a real challenge.

i'm with you with the rest of your post, uncharted 2 was by far the peak of the series.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I've never played any Uncharted, but I'm somehow intrigued by the slower pace and bigger breadth of the enviroments.
Does it make sense to play without having played any other chapter? Would it be enjoyable at all?

Absolutely.

Uncharted 4 was the first Uncharted for me too.

thanosg

Banned
the 1 on 1 and then later 2 on 1 fight defeated by Nadine were more fake than any matches WWE produced tho

never seen a game saying your protagonist just flat out sux and a loser and why you shouldn't like him

hopefully we have seen the last of Nathan I can't use him anymore

GymWolf

the 1 on 1 and then later 2 on 1 fight defeated by Nadine were more fake than any matches WWE produced tho

never seen a game saying your protagonist just flat out sux and a loser and why you shouldn't like him

hopefully we have seen the last of Nathan I can't use him anymore
lol do you really wanna use his lesbian daughter with mental health instead? (because this is 100% what is gonna happen in a sequel) 😆

ND need to do some scifi or fantasy stuff for their next big brand.

Last edited:
maybe you don't remember the shooting in unchy 2-3, it was abysmal.
uncharted 4 has very good enemy reaction, ragdoll, better aim, far more fluid movements and some spectacular stuff like the grapling hook used in combat, it's by far the best part of the game in terms of gameplay and on hard or very hard the gunshooting are a real challenge.

i'm with you with the rest of your post, uncharted 2 was by far the peak of the series.

Yeah I think I underplayed how bad the shooting was in the PS3 games lol.

Top Bottom