• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've decided to purchase the Switch Lite because I miss playing handheld games!

Growing up I've always been a fan of Nintendo handhelds, ever since I got a Game Boy Color to play games like Dragon Warrior I & II, Dragon Warrior III, and Pokemon Crystal. There was just something magical about getting lost in a virtual world on a small screen in the palm of your hands and I always felt as though handheld gaming was an underrated form of play among enthusiast gamers. I also owned a Game Boy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and last but not least, the near-perfect 3DS XL (if only the thumbstick was more like the PS Vita). My handheld favorites included games like Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun (the first two "books" and Dark Dawn), Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Dragon Quest IX, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Mario Kart 7. I even enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Dream Team but to be fair it was the first in the series that I played and while entertaining with colorful graphics it did suffer from being a little too easy. But how could you not marvel at the fact that Nintendo was able to put out a handheld with GameCube quality graphics? Handheld gaming really is amazing if you stop to think about it. And now Nintendo is killing it with the Switch (61 million units sold as of June 2020). I mean, say what you will about the PS4 having lots of great story-driven games with great gramphics and services like PlayStation Now but god dammit I want a Switch Lite now. My body is ready to jump back into the magic of Nintendo handhelds.

Anyway, I have a couple questions:
  • Turquoise or Yellow?
  • What are your personal thoughts on the quality of the Switch Lite and the games it has to offer?
  • Should my first Switch game be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Super Smash Bros Ultimate? Note: I like both series, although the last SSB game I played was Melee on the GameCube.
  • Finally, what are some interesting apps to download from the eShop? Isn't there also a popular one that people use to draw/paint?
  • Anything else I should know about the Switch Lite?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Growing up I've always been a fan of Nintendo handhelds, ever since I got a Game Boy Color to play games like Dragon Warrior I & II, Dragon Warrior III, and Pokemon Crystal. There was just something magical about getting lost in a virtual world on a small screen in the palm of your hands and I always felt as though handheld gaming was an underrated form of play among enthusiast gamers. I also owned a Game Boy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and last but not least, the near-perfect 3DS XL (if only the thumbstick was more like the PS Vita). My handheld favorites included games like Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun (the first two "books" and Dark Dawn), Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Dragon Quest IX, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Mario Kart 7. I even enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Dream Team but to be fair it was the first in the series that I played and while entertaining with colorful graphics it did suffer from being a little too easy. But how could you not marvel at the fact that Nintendo was able to put out a handheld with GameCube quality graphics? Handheld gaming really is amazing if you stop to think about it. And now Nintendo is killing it with the Switch (61 million units sold as of June 2020). I mean, say what you will about the PS4 having lots of great story-driven games with great gramphics and services like PlayStation Now but god dammit I want a Switch Lite now. My body is ready to jump back into the magic of Nintendo handhelds.

Anyway, I have a couple questions:

Turquoise or Yellow?
What are your personal thoughts on the quality of the Switch Lite and the games it has to offer?
Should my first Switch game be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Super Smash Bros Ultimate? Note: I like both series, although the last SSB game I played was Melee on the GameCube.
Finally, what are some interesting apps to download from the eShop? Isn't there also a popular one that people use to draw/paint?
Anything else I should know about the Switch Lite?
No no....!!! Buy a Switch lite will be one of the big mistake that you could do.

GO for the regular Switch.... Better. More pretty and you can watch on TV.

Nintendo switch: awesome

Nintendo switch lite: piece of shit

Last edited:

LQX

The Switch Lite is amazing. I don't miss having the regular Switch at all seeing as I usually played in handheld anyway. Mario Kart 8 is great, but also look into getting Super Mario Odyssey. Just an all around great system, especially for some of these indie games you can just play anywhere. Most of them look just as good as they do on the other consoles or PC.

The Switch Lite is amazing. I don't miss having the regular Switch at all seeing as I usually played in handheld anyway. Mario Kart 8 is great, but also look into getting Super Mario Odyssey. Just an all around great system, especially for some of these indie games you can just play anywhere. Most of them look just as good as they do on the other consoles or PC.
Did you happen to have an issue with stick drift? I am curious if it's really common among Switch Lite owners or not. In any case, it sounds like I could just send it to Nintendo to repair for free if I do happen to run into said issue, right?

-Arcadia-

Banned
It will kind of depend on you, but Turquoise is beautiful. That’s the one I have, and I love the aesthetics of it.

With the caveat that the specter of Nintendo’s stick drift looms, and a few years from now, you might have to send it in (I haven’t had any problems though, for the record) for a week, I love it. It’s small, light, ergonomic, and somehow the smaller screen still feels big and good for immersive gaming.

I love the regular Switch in a kind of tablet way, but the Lite, to me, is the best feeling and most simple handheld they’ve made since the GBAs, and I really, really appreciate that.

I do feel the regular Switch hybrid is the more versatile, more value-packed device, because how could it not be? But if you’re looking for something less expensive, and that kind of console functionality doesn’t matter to you, I think this is an A+ handheld, with a fantastic library too.

To actually get into that a bit, handhelds typically don’t pick up games of the caliber of Breath of the Wild or Luigi’s Mansion 3, not even close, and that’s a real difference maker here as well.

LQX

I hate to jink my system but no stick drift on my Lite and I have been playing it nearly everyday for the past few months. And yes, Nintendo will fix drift issues for free. Not sure how long that will last, but considering the lawsuit it might be for a while.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Did you happen to have an issue with stick drift? I am curious if it's really common among Switch Lite owners or not. In any case, it sounds like I could just send it to Nintendo to repair for free if I do happen to run into said issue, right?
It's common with people that are cheeto fingered scruffy bastards.
But it can be easily cleaned with isopropyl and a cotton bud.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, Smash vs. Mario Kart 8. I don’t even know. Both are fantastic multiplayer/online games that are a little light on single-player content, or attractive single-player content. (Smash does have a story mode, but meh)

But, Smash feels like a love letter to everything Nintendo, so it might have the edge a bit.

As far as apps go, I’ve never had anything like that on my Switch. It’s been 100% gaming all the time. There seems to be Disney+ and Hulu, I think? But Netflix is still AWOL to my knowledge. It’s a pretty light smattering of apps and very game focused.

Btw, Smash vs. Mario Kart 8. I don’t even know. Both are fantastic multiplayer/online games that are a little light on single-player content, or attractive single-player content. (Smash does have a story mode, but meh)

But, Smash feels like a love letter to everything Nintendo, so it might have the edge a bit.

As far as apps go, I’ve never had anything like that on my Switch. It’s been 100% gaming all the time. There seems to be Disney+ and Hulu, I think? But Netflix is still AWOL to my knowledge. It’s a pretty light smattering of apps and very game focused.
I might just go with Super Smash Bros Ultimate first since the number of characters and levels are so impressive for a fighter.

As for apps, I must be thinking of Art Academy: Home Studio for the Wii U. Right now I think there's just Paint for the Switch. I remember the DS had Flipnote Studio but I could not for the life of me do anything decent on its small screen. But it's been years so I feel like there should be a decent art creation app/game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't. Just get the regular Switch and use that as a handheld.
This, why limit your option? there might be games that its better played on big screen with pro controller, with regular Switch you have the option to play both handheld and on TV, why give that up?

Zoro7

Banned
Id recommend it. Has the original Switch before giving it to a family member. Ended up getting the lite and haven't missed docked mode at all. Plus its a lot smaller and more portable.

Shifty1897

Some games are downright rough in portable mode(Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Astral Chain, any current gen ports). I think the OG Switch is a better fit for anyone except kids that could lose a JoyCon or break the screen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have both and the Lite feels better handheld in every way.
Really? I got this joy-cons for my Switch...
hori_dxm_controller.0.jpg

Now not only have bigger screen, I also have Joy-cons that feels MUCH better to play than regular ones.

Vyse1800

I received the original switch last year as a gift. I returned it. Using it as a handheld? The word 'clunky' comes to mind. I like Nintendo, just not the engineering on the switch. Certain aspects regarding the joy-cons and dock are offensive to elegant design.. in my humble opinion.

I turned around and picked up a switch lite fully aware of potential stick drift and could not be happier. It's light in the hand yet feels solid, the controls are perfect as they should be for a handheld, the screen is bright, colorful and sharp and I regularly download games for .99 cents or even less and have a great time with them. It's got those little Nintendo touches that make it fun to use and I'm happy to own it.

This, why limit your option? there might be games that its better played on big screen with pro controller, with regular Switch you have the option to play both handheld and on TV, why give that up?
Because I already said I enjoy playing Nintendo games on a handheld. I could use the extra money I save on more Switch games or to save it for a rainy day.

cireza

Hope you have fun playing at the yellow screen lottery ! I personally bought a used Lite to be able to check the screen.

Otherwise the console is fine as a handheld. Not the best, but definitely not bad either.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, best color:

Nintendo-Switch-Lite-Coral.jpg

Pokemon was neat too but I'm not sure you can get that any longer.

I regularly have to restrain myself not to buy this just for the color. I didn’t think I’d be into Coral at first, but it really grew on me, especially in unboxing videos where it looks amazing.

Top Bottom