• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've finished Star Trek Deep Space 9. What an amazing series

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Early DS9 is better than early TNG for sure, but I feel like all of these Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows that have 20+ episodes per season take a while to reach must-watch territory. Definitely a contrast to the more tightly written and presented shows of today.
Indeed, Star Trek produced just never gets good.

Pallas

Gold Member
My favorite Star Trek series by far, Gul Dukat(and the guy playing him) are probably one of my top Star Trek antagonists.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Best Star Trek series, easily. Probably my favorite show of all time.

Bumping this thread because i love DS9 and i want to tell everyone about it.

Some context. I was 16 when i watched the first season. Then life happened and i never watched the rest. Until now, 25 years later.
I'm on season 4 and i love these characters. The actors are superb. Sisko is my captain.

DS9 has these stories about racism, prejudice, sexism, feminism, religion and it's never preachy or heavy handed.

Sometimes the makeup looks goofy as fuck. Specially cardassians'. And action scenes are not very good. But it's always enjoyable because of the characters.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
My wife and I have been watching DS9 again. I didn't really like it much as a kid in the 90s but holy god damn is it some good TV. First season is rough but once you get out of it the show gets good fast.

Kagey K

Banned
My wife and I have been watching DS9 again. I didn't really like it much as a kid in the 90s but holy god damn is it some good TV. First season is rough but once you get out of it the show gets good fast.
I recently did an entire Star Trek watch through 2 years ago and I can say the show is way better for adults than it was for kids.

I hated TNG and DS9 as a kid, but I get why it was popular now,

Erdrick

I just started watching this series for serious tonight. I understand it's going to be a slow build up but it's the one series of Trek that I've seen the least. I always hear how highly regarded it is amongst fans so I will finally (eventually) see it all. I'm interested to see how it all pans out. I only really ever saw the pilot episode upon original airing and never paid much attention after.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Because of DS9, Michael Dorn has the record for appearing in more Star Trek than anyone else.

Star Trek VI
TNG
Four TNG movies
DS9
It is actually Majel Barrett Roddenberry. She appeared in literally everything from The Original Series (including the pilot episode), to TNG, DS9, Voyager all the way to Star Trek: Enterprise and all the movies too including the 1st Kelvin timeline movie. But if we are talking physical appearances and not just voice then it is Michael Dorn.

Last edited:
You I’m 2/3 through series 2 and I’m surprised at how good the first the series were. I always thought they were rough and would Skip them on reruns. There’s still some shit episodes though.
Quark steals every scene he’s in.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
For my recent birthday, I was fortunate enough to receive the entire series run of DS9 on DVD from a very generous collective of friends. (I guess my talking endlessly about how it was my favorite Trek series by far had an effect.) I've been watching it obsessively, and am now on the second run-through of the series, up to Season Three.

What I loved about DS9 is how it challenged the core values of Trek, examined the whole notion of the Federation's supremacy, and started chipping little pieces off of it. The key moment for me was the "root beer speech" from Way of the Warrior:

Quark: "There's a human drink I'd like you to try. It's called root beer."
Garak: "It's vile."
Quark: "I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy."
Garak: "Just like the Federation."
Quark: "But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."
Garak: "It's insidious."
Quark: "Just like the Federation."

When I first saw that scene, I was completely in love. The giant space battle / space station brawl was just icing on the cake at that point.

My favorite DS9 character by far is Odo. I tend to really like broken characters in fiction, and Odo, in some ways, is probably the most broken character in Trek. He starts as a shapeshifter who thinks he’s unique in the Galaxy, looked upon as a pet and a curiosity by Federation scientists. He takes on a human form and a human job in security, struggling to find some sense of order by imposing it himself — only to find out that he’s not alone, but instead part of a race that wants to conquer the entire Galaxy, and which becomes the enemy of all he holds dear. So now he’s more isolated than ever before, destined never to be truly accepted by either side in the conflict.

Through all of this, he manages to cultivate a grudging friendship / rivalry with Quark, a being so diametrically opposed to his own values that it’s hard to imagine them having any kind of rapport — and yet they do. Odo is a character full of shame and doubt and nobility and perseverance, and I just adore him.

I've just finished "House of Quark," the episode where Quark accidentally kills the head of a powerful Klingon family and ends up embroiled in politics on the Klingon homeworld. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite episodes of Season Three, if only for the humor value of watching Quark confuse Gowron with a whole lot of math.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It is actually Majel Barrett Roddenberry. She appeared in literally everything from The Original Series (including the pilot episode), to TNG, DS9, Voyager all the way to Star Trek: Enterprise and all the movies too including the 1st Kelvin timeline movie. But if we are talking physical appearances and not just voice then it is Michael Dorn.
I was talking about on-screen appearances. Dorn was in 282 episodes and 5 movies.

Tranquil

I'm currently trying to watch all of the star trek shows (minus kurtzman trek) and I have to say I'm the least excited for DS9 since I've heard it's more of serial then an episodic series. Part of what I like about trek is that each episode is a self contained story.

Shouta

I'm currently trying to watch all of the star trek shows (minus kurtzman trek) and I have to say I'm the least excited for DS9 since I've heard it's more of serial then an episodic series. Part of what I like about trek is that each episode is a self contained story.

The serial elements of DS9 are actually much easier to follow compared to other Sci-Fi shows. For the most part, they're really well integrated with the classic self-contained stories of Trek. You're getting the best of both worlds, pun intended.

Patrick S.

Banned
How do you guys remember all those episode names? I've seen most Star Trek series multiple times, and the only episode I could identify by name is "All good things" :/

Tschumi

It definitely got better, sisco got a bit better but his steadily growing beard obscured his simpering leer a bit lol... Not my favourite, but yeah like voyager and the eternal TNG it's a good bit of tv. I have all the series on my ipod classic and like to listen through them on long bike rides

Shouta

How do you guys remember all those episode names? I've seen most Star Trek series multiple times, and the only episode I could identify by name is "All good things" :/

Most folks only remember their favorites or the really good ones. DS9 had a bunch that really stand out like In the Pale Moonglight, The Siege of AR-558, The Visitor, etc Valiant is another one I remember well too which was a great standalone episode but in the context of the Dominion War.

MetalAlien

Banned
I liked it a lot better in the beginning when it stuck to the each episode is a mini movie format that the other Trek series used. Once it tried to use the whole season to tell one story I tuned out.

Paltheos

The serial elements of DS9 are actually much easier to follow compared to other Sci-Fi shows. For the most part, they're really well integrated with the classic self-contained stories of Trek. You're getting the best of both worlds, pun intended.

Echoing Shouta that DS9 is easy to watch. It was made during an era of television where serialization of shows like this wasn't really a thing, so the scripts play really conservative with the audience's memory. Characters will sometimes discuss things in a really unnatural manner. Character A: "Hi, Character B. How are you holding from [horribly tragic event from your last character episode a few weeks back that I'll describe in loose enough detail here to not provide a total summary]?" Character B: "Oh, well enough, but [Plot point leading into episode]."

Most everything else is fine, of course, especially if you like Trek from this era. It's just the difference between DS9 and modern TV - where it's expected the audience is binging everything all at once and all events are occurring roughly at the same rate you're watching unless the show spells out otherwise - is very obvious. The blatant exposition dump is sometimes a bit much but I usually just brush it off with a giggle. I like that it affords the show time to run at its own pace and just run whatever type episodes the showrunners want instead of main plot episodes all the time or with a constant finger on the pulse of.

Sure, some of them are stinkers. DS9 has allot of stinkers. But some of those one-offs help build the atmosphere and world of the show or just color in the characters more. (I had a part here where I wrote about examples but then remembered that you haven't watched the damn show lol so I erased it)

This show was better.
BlackZestyCockroach-small.gif

Ornlu

Banned
Hasn’t aged as well just recently finished series 4.
You can see how badly they rushed series 4 because they thought it was going to be cancelled. Still great though I might just skip series 5.

Great exchange between garak and quark spat my coffee out at the end.

Bab 5 definitely had budget/studio issues; if they both had the same budget and job security as a mainline Trek show, it would blow Trek out of the water, and wouldn't even be close.
Also, this show was better than that show which was better than the other show.

1532015525-giphy-44.gif
SlightWatchfulAplomadofalcon-max-1mb.gif

Farscape was some weird shit man. A bit too janky for me, but YMMV.

Tranquil

Echoing Shouta that DS9 is easy to watch. It was made during an era of television where serialization of shows like this wasn't really a thing, so the scripts play really conservative with the audience's memory. Characters will sometimes discuss things in a really unnatural manner. Character A: "Hi, Character B. How are you holding from [horribly tragic event from your last character episode a few weeks back that I'll describe in loose enough detail here to not provide a total summary]?" Character B: "Oh, well enough, but [Plot point leading into episode]."

Most everything else is fine, of course, especially if you like Trek from this era. It's just the difference between DS9 and modern TV - where it's expected the audience is binging everything all at once and all events are occurring roughly at the same rate you're watching unless the show spells out otherwise - is very obvious. The blatant exposition dump is sometimes a bit much but I usually just brush it off with a giggle. I like that it affords the show time to run at its own pace and just run whatever type episodes the showrunners want instead of main plot episodes all the time or with a constant finger on the pulse of.

Sure, some of them are stinkers. DS9 has allot of stinkers. But some of those one-offs help build the atmosphere and world of the show or just color in the characters more. (I had a part here where I wrote about examples but then remembered that you haven't watched the damn show lol so I erased it)

Thanks, kind of excited to watch now!

Top Bottom