• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

Noobcraft

I've gently tossed my DS3 a few times playing UC2 multiplayer, but I've never broken anything. I know someone who punched a hole in their wall playing COD 4 though.

Not unlike this...
giphy.gif

KaYotiX

Banned
I've cursed at a game but never broken anything.

A buddy from way back in the day punched a wall and hit a stud and broke his hand from a very competitive game of golden eye. (he was also drinking)

Robot Pants

Then you've never played Ninja Gaiden on master ninja.

Just kidding I've never broken a game or controller over those.

The ONLY game I've ever snapped in half and ever will is Gears of War 2.
That game belonged in the trash and I have no remorse

I threw some controllers when I was younger. None of them broke which was lucky. Snapping discs I really do not get why someone would do that.

Piers

I haven't managed to break something yet, but when my investment and dedication is wasted because some bad luck occurs I want to retaliate at life by damage.
This can also be the case with computer issues and corrupt files.

The last time I snapped was when I lost Dota 2 matches about seven or eight times in a row, and I needed one more victory to get out of the naughty pools and play with friends again.

Bl@de

My buddies brother recently snapped 2 or 3 keyboard playing football manager? I can't even comprehend being that mad at anything let alone football manager.

Even done it GAF?

I've ONLY done it because something like Football Manager, FIFA or PES. Sports are serious shit. I was 14-16 at the time though :p

I took a hammer to my NES copy of Wizardry. Only way to be sure I'd never play it again.

Yeah ... sounds like the Wizardry experience

psyfi

Banned
It's just bad coping skills. Men aren't socialized to know how to do deal with our hardships in healthy ways, and instead we express it as anger. This is an issue for people of all genders, but men are especially raised to be bad at it. Thankfully that's mostly just socialization, and we can learn how to not break our shit when we're upset, haha.

Sometimes i'm just so fed up at things having to be designed for you to fail, that just dealing with it brings me so much rage. I don't do this anymore, but in some particular lows in my life I certainly did. Basically ruined games for me at that point.

I've broken so many damn controllers in my life... plus others things (Broke a mouse once and a headset)

Lately though i've been using the Elite controller and going strong! I think the cost of that damn thing is what's finally setting me straight and preventing me from throwing it.

EvB

I've always found it a strange concept.
I've always assumed that these are the same people that hit their partners.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anger management man. Mostly sad people with real problems in their life that they aren't addressing properly and are putting way too much emotional energy into distractions like video games (or sports, or whatever) as a way to ignore their real life and whatever is bothering them there.

I think hetero-normative standards of men having to be "strong" is part of the problem. Dudes with problems don't talk about them and repress the shit out of them and it manifests itself in really self-destructive ways.

I had a kid send me like 40 messages rapid fire after we were partners in Rocket League and he thought I missed an easy goal save that cost us the game. Like, settle down skippy, it's a game.

Zomba13

It's people with anger issues. My sister has broken so much shit because she gets angry at next to nothing. You say something close to her and she throws shit.

He's saying he has no idea why you'd get mad at a game to that extent basically because it's such a harsh reaction to a video game.

It has not much to do with emotion level and way more to do with how your mind and body react to it. I know for example that my movements get downright jittery when I'm overwhelmed by something but for most people that's the most random rule I could make.

So such people probably don't get more angry than us, they just "show" it more.

Handy Fake

Pounded through many a joystick in my youth. Also pulled my mate's in half when he was spamming me with E.Honda bitchslaps on the Amiga.

Ricker

I am with you on snapping disks,because it's slower,you have to eject it and stand and all so you have time to calm down a bit but a controller throw is so easy to do...

EGM1966

I've carefully thrown my controller down into a pile of cushions a few times.

But no... I don't break my own (or anyone else's) belongings in fits of rage induced by a game.

I have quit a few SP games when my save or progress has gone down the pan and its too annoying to replay right away... but that's about it.

In MP I trudge on playing my part rubbish team or no.

Dizzy

Banned
I never did. Felt daft to throw and potentially break something.

That said I tried it once lol a game was pissing me off, cheap and hard as fuck. Threw the disc to see what it felt like and you know what? It actually felt good. Disc was fine but I wouldn't do it again.

psyfi

Banned
Anger management man. Mostly sad people with real problems in their life that they aren't addressing properly and are putting way too much emotional energy into distractions like video games (or sports, or whatever) as a way to ignore their real life and whatever is bothering them there.

I think hetero-normative standards of men having to be "strong" is part of the problem. Dudes with problems don't talk about them and repress the shit out of them and it manifests itself in really self-destructive ways.

I had a kid send me like 40 messages rapid fire after we were partners in Rocket League and he thought I missed an easy goal save that cost us the game. Like, settle down skippy, it's a game.
Yup, spot on. I think a lot of us can relate to using games (rather than merely playing games) as a way to escape our problems. We have to be really careful with that, and make sure we're facing our problems and finding the growth we need to find.

Manu

I always thought "snapped the disc in half" was a hyperbolic way to say you hated the game. I never thought someone actually did it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Instant satisfaction.

joms5

Embarrassed to say that I have broke the casing around a controller. But never to the point that the controller was not functional.

Haven't done it since. As many have said it's a waste of money and i've been learning to step away from a game when I start getting frustrated.

Weirdest shit is the game. I think it was Sly Cooper 4.

Beat Dark Souls without ever even getting angry. Sly Cooper 4 though and I use my dualshock as a hammer. Dumb.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've always found it pointless and wasteful. I personally know people that do that kind of thing way too often though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
OP doesn't understand that some people have anger issues in this world? Or that people snap and do stupid things out of frustration? Welcome to the last 5000 years, OP.

keenerz

I used to rage real hard when I was younger to games such as CoD and FIFA as I grew up I learned to calm and respect my things. So kind of grew out of it and was like well whatever and accepted that I'll never be the best at said game or be 100% undefeatable (like I said I was young and naive). I think FIFA though had to be the worst for me I actually hated that game with a passion and actually did snap that disc in half cause I never wanted to play it again and I still haven't. Not one of my better moments.

Wireframe

They can't control their anger and take it out on the nearest thing which is usually the controller in their hand? I don't get what's not to get.

Mulgrok

People need to condition themselves to drop and do push-ups/crunches when they get a spike of adrenaline fueled rage. Will save them monies in the future.

sonto340

I've never broken anything while gaming, but I'll do the 'twist' the controller in frustration thing or drop my controller I'm frustration some times. Never throw though.

Snapping the disc I will never understand because there's so many steps in the process and so many chances to cool down enough to not break something

I once broke my game boy color after getting mad at Pokemon when I was like 6 or 7 years old. It took me months of doing chores to get enough money to buy another one and I have not broken anything of out frustration since.

Yukinari

This isnt a personal experience but a streamer i used to watch told the story his friend had where he was losing so badly at JSRF that he threw the controller into the wall and got it stuck there then proceeded to throw the console into the floor.

Top Bottom