• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ivy the Kiwi (Yuji Naka + Wii/Nintendo DS) confirmed for America (thanks XSeed!)

Just to end the "out-browned" talk, this is what the US version looks like:

4uawax.jpg

24bkyli.jpg

15g6xdz.jpg

Still deliberately muted, but significantly more colorful than the original.

BitchTits said:
I thought the sepia look was kinda nice.

The JP visuals aren't without their appeal, but they looked very, very low-budget - which would have made it all the more difficult for XSEED to justify pricing the game at $20, let alone $30.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I'm surprised that Sega didn't publish the game. looks right up their alley. now that Xseed has an ongoing relationship with NB, maybe we can get Tales of Graces on the side? you know, a little quickie?

Hero of Legend said:
Well the overly brown comment should only apply the the Japanese version:

JP:

o5s3dk.jpg

NA:

fau81.jpg

Yeah, I definitely prefer the US look. A bit of colour goes a long way to adding a bit more variety to the visuals!

Suzuki Yu

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...s_new_bird.php

A new interview with Naka. Apparently Ivy is NOT the Sonic-like game he was working on, which is currently on hold, and he's working on another action game, which will be bigger in scope than Ivy.

Plus, it was actually XSEED who suggested the color for the localization. Good luck getting the game like this if it was BN bringing it over.

that's good to hear
i wonder if Yuji Naka has anything to do with the game that SEGA registered before as "Let's Party"

ILikeFeet said:
I'm surprised that Sega didn't publish the game. looks right up their alley. now that Xseed has an ongoing relationship with NB, maybe we can get Tales of Graces on the side? you know, a little quickie?

SEGA have the rights to publish any game produced by PROPE

but in case if any project got refused by SEGA , they can look for any other publisher to support them

ILikeFeet

Banned
Suzuki Yu said:
SEGA have the rights to publish any game produced by PROPE

but in case if any project got refused by SEGA , they can look for any other publisher to support them

I know, but what surprised me (for the lack of a better word) is that seeing how mascot titles fare very well for Sega, this would be a no brainer for them

d+pad

jesusraz said:
It is...in Japan. Nothing's confirmed for the US yet.

Actually, in Japan the full game was released on DS and Wii, and partial versions were released on DSWare and WiiWare...

Oh, and BTW: I prefer the original, sepia-toned backgrounds to the colorized ones in the NA version. Actually, I wouldn't mind the colorized backgrounds if Ivy didn't get lost in them.

Alcibiades

I prefer the original color scheme as well, but hopefully XSeed will have an option in the US version to switch back.

The art style is very cool, but it seems that the controls are very exact in their precision. This could be an issue on the wii. The DS version reminded me of the Kirby game with that rainbow. This game could turn out to be interesting.

I have the latest NP issue and at the end of the interview with Yuji Naka, he gives better hints towards what he's working on:

What's next for Prope?

We're currently developing an action game that has yet another new and unique control scheme, and another project that lets you experience a fun real-world activity within a game.

I hope you enjoy Ivy the Kiwi and stay tuned for future releases from us at Prope.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/07/ivy-the-kiwi-interview-with-yuji-naka/

Apparently, the Wii version was actually the starting point! After Wii development ended, then came the DS version, in the middle of that, the Windows Mobile version came:

To tell you the truth, we actually created the Wii version first. At the end of the Wii development we started the Nintendo DS version. In the middle of the DS version, we started development of the Windows phone version.

Another mention of his next game:

I can’t really tell you the hardware or platform now, but one of them involves using the sky and it’s an original character IP we’re creating.

Nessus

Looks beautiful. I really hope it doesn't end up costing too much. I'd buy it in a heartbeat as a $10 WiiWare game, but $50 retail might be pushing it.

Nessus said:
Looks beautiful. I really hope it doesn't end up costing too much. I'd buy it in a heartbeat as a $10 WiiWare game, but $50 retail might be pushing it.

Try looking above a few posts. ;)

If you're lazy, it's $30 on Wii and $20 on DS. :p

Edit: Part 2 of the interview:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/08/how-yuji-naka-creates-characters/

Another clue of one of his next games; it's based on an animal he thought was interesting.

Basically confirming that he's making another animal-based character.

What could it be? :D

Top Bottom