• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: “Nintendo is not good at competing,” so must offer something different

artist

Banned
Iwata gave his talk at the B Dash Camp startup conference in Osaka, and The Bridge has translated it.

“When we talk about Nintendo we cannot ignore (former president) Hiroshi Yamauchi who just recently passed away. He always said that if you have failure, you don’t need to be too concerned. You always have good things and bad, and this reflects the history of Nintendo. If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.”

On the risk of bringing Japanese IP and ideas to the western market, Iwata reflected on initial fears that he Pokemon brand would fail in the US. “Will America accept cute monsters?” he asked, “No, they said. Some people even recommended to make Pikachu more muscular. If we followed their advice Pokemon would never have been the success that it was. Brain Training software (Brain Age) became a hit in Japan, and I proposed that we sell it globally. And even as I said that as the president, no one listened.”​

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/10/iwa...ffer-something-different-than-the-status-quo/

nikatapi

And this is why i love Nintendo, although they could look at what others are doing to improve their own stuff.

But, they are often bold to offer something different and interesting.

Nintendo DS and Wii - i'll never forget the first time i played them. Magic.

Foffy

Banned
Focusing on doing something different will always lead to hits and misses.

Iwata should know where Wii U currently sits..

E92 M3

American Pikachu:

how-to-draw-mutant-pikachu_1_000000017292_5.png

Pagusas

Elden Member
And this is why i love Nintendo, although they could look at what others are doing to improve their own stuff.

But, they are often bold to offer something different and interesting.

Nintendo DS and Wii - i'll never forget the first time i played them. Magic.

I think you are the only person I've ever heard describe playing the wii as magic. How does that even happen? I remember my first time being pure disgust at the lack of 1:1 with the controller after all there boasting, and how horribly ugly Zelda looked on a HD display. Even my family thought something was wrong with the screen because of how ugly the game looked when put next to 360 games they played.

Ever thought about offering something unique on top of what others offer?

Nintendo can't compete because it can't do the whole selling at a massive loss thing. Not because they don't have the brain power to just shove more video cards into it.
The way they designed the Wii U (USB ports aside) shows that they could design a powerful console, they just can't afford to BUILD one. And sell it for anything that anyone would feel was a fair price.
They don't do multimedia and "Nintendo Network GOLD" sort of shit so they can't subsidize it as heavily, and, as seen with the Gamecube, even with the right amount of power 3rd parties tell them to fuck off.

So no, they really just can't. Simple as that.

Ever thought about offering something unique on top of what others offer?

The problem is even if they offered the wiiu that was as powerful as the ps4 with their unique controller for $400 and took a loss on it tons of 3rd party developers would still skip them over out of principal that's it's "Nintendo and only Nintendo games sell"

hachi

Banned
Perfectly reasonable. If it just becomes a matter of cramming the most tech and other services into a box for the lowest price, they'll never be able to compete with a software giant (MS) and a media / hardware giant (Sony). So they'd lose their advantage as the lighter-weight toymaker of the Big Three if they ever stopped trying to come up with quirky, somewhat unconventional takes on what a console should look like.

I think you are the only person I've ever heard describe playing the wii as magic. How does that even happen?

I thought I'd let you know that as a person who understood that it was technology, and thus would not be out of the gate absolutely amazing, I had a real blast with Red Steel. I thought it was amazing. Perfect? Far from it. But I was swinging my arm goddammit, and that made my on screen character cut people in half.

hoserx

I think you are the only person I've ever heard describe playing the wii as magic. How does that even happen?

I've heard tons of people describe their first session(s) with the Wii as magical, or other similar superlatives.............

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I actually laughed at the statement. I appreciate the honesty but this attitude is damning Nintendo into irrelevancy in the console space.

Banned
A tablet is not something new.
Why are people so hard on Nintendo, they're the only video game company left, and the only ones that take risks. Sure they dont sll work but I'm glad they at least try. No one actually ever has released a twin screen home console or a controller with a screen before.

royalan

This statement really aught to be the nail in Iwata's coffin.

On what planet does Iwata think it's acceptable to nurture a phobia of competition? In what industry would that be a successful strategy? Does he think Nintendo can just made due by opening a blue ocean every few years? Because they can't, and right now we're seeing the results of that strategy. Sooner or later, something doesn't work, and you end up with your back against the wall with your entire console business facing complete irrelevancy.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've heard tons of people describe their first session(s) with the Wii as magical, or other similar superlatives.............

That really baffles my mind just in the way that I had such an opposite reaction to it. I guess thats why it turned into such a large fad thought.

Andrax

Banned
unique = gimmick?

Please offer something unique that is amazing rather than a gimmick. [As a wiiu owner] I feel like the WiiU is a step in the right direction but it feels like a console they should have released 5 years ago :/

7threst

I think you are the only person I've ever heard describe playing the wii as magic. How does that even happen? I remember my first time being pure disgust at the lack of 1:1 with the controller after all there boasting, and how horribly ugly Zelda looked on a HD display. Even my family thought something was wrong with the screen because of how ugly the game looked when put next to 360 games they played.

My first time playing Wii could definitely described as magic. I was blown away by how awesome those controls were. As were my family and friends.

hoos30

Nintendo can't compete because it can't do the whole selling at a massive loss thing. Not because they don't have the brain power to just shove more video cards into it.
The way they designed the Wii U (USB ports aside) shows that they could design a powerful console, they just can't afford to BUILD one. And sell it for anything that anyone would feel was a fair price.
They don't do multimedia and "Nintendo Network GOLD" sort of shit so they can't subsidize it as heavily, and, as seen with the Gamecube, even with the right amount of power 3rd parties tell them to fuck off.

So no, they really just can't. Simple as that.

They could, they just don't want to. They have plenty of cash. But they are one of the most conservative companies in the world, which is an odd position for an entertainment/tech company to be in.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Perfectly reasonable. If it just becomes a matter of cramming the most tech and other services into a box for the lowest price, they'll never be able to compete with a software giant (MS) and a media / hardware giant (Sony). So they'd lose their advantage as the lighter-weight toymaker of the Big Three if they ever stopped trying to come up with quirky, somewhat unconventional takes on what a console should look like.

This is what I'm getting

Dave Long

Banned
The Wii pretty much killed E3 for a couple years because everyone lined up for Nintendo's booth when it debuted and ignored Sony, Microsoft and pretty much everything else other than Metal Gear Solid 4 that year.

If that isn't magical, I have no idea what else is.

ksamedi

I actually laughed at the statement. I appreciate the honesty but this attitude is damning Nintendo into irrelevancy in the console space.

How is this attitude damning? It perfectly makes sense. They are good at some things, and bad at others, and they play to their strenghts. Its as simple as that. They were never a powerhouse in competing in the console space, but always found blue odeans for themselves and surprised people with new ideas.

Wii is my second favorite console ever (after SNES) and I've been playing games for over 25 years.

My first time playing wii (excite truck in a gamestop) was gaming bliss for me. Still my favorite racing game ever.

NotLiquid

On what planet does Iwata think it's acceptable to nurture a phobia of competition. In what industry would that be a successful strategy? Does he think Nintendo can just made due by opening a blue ocean every few years? Because they can't, and right now we're seeing the results of that strategy. Sooner or later, something doesn't work, and you end up with your back against the wall with your entire console business facing complete irrelevancy.

They are competing though. That's the point of presenting unique selling propositions which is what's being discussed. They're just putting more focus in the former part, even if its a risk.

Raist

Banned
Not good at competing based on what exactly? That didn't seem to be an issue with both the NES and SNES. The N64 most likely failed because of the outdated support and it was quite weak compared to the PS1 in several aspects.
So that only leaves the gamecube, and it came super late against the PS2 behemoth.

They could, they just don't want to. They have plenty of cash. But they are one of the most conservative companies in the world, which is an odd position for an entertainment/tech company to be in.

They have plenty of cash, explicitly because they didn't sell the Wii at a loss. Or do you not understand that if they had made a machine that costed them $6-800 to sell for $400 that all of their revenue would have disappeared? Did you notice that the Xbox division doesn't fucking make money?

Business is more than just "please the customers, make money".

liger05

I have no problem with this just the shame the Wii U wasnt a a great idea at all.

Still Nintendo can come again.

Red Mage

That's bullcrap. They competed against Sega with the NES and SNES. It seems like ever since they got their butts handed to them during the N64 years, they're too afraid to even TRY and compete.

Oppo

Wow. If somembody besides Iwata himself said that, this forum would have gone apeshit.

like, say, Phil Fish

killatopak

Gold Member
They have plenty of cash, explicitly because they didn't sell the Wii at a loss. Or do you not understand that if they had made a machine that costed them $6-800 to sell for $400 that all of their revenue would have disappeared? Did you notice that the Xbox division doesn't fucking make money?

Business is more than just "please the customers, make money".

Software sales.

Schnozberry

Do you know how large Sony and Microsoft are in comparison to Nintendo? If Microsoft and Sony had to survive on the profits from their gaming divisions, Nintendo would have been sifting through their ashes in 2008.

PrimeX

Haha this will never happen. Nintendo might die along with console space, but that is a big MIGHT. They will always find a way to make people happy.

hoos30

On what planet does Iwata think it's acceptable to nurture a phobia of competition? In what industry would that be a successful strategy? Does he think Nintendo can just made due by opening a blue ocean every few years? Because they can't, and right now we're seeing the results of that strategy. Sooner or later, something doesn't work, and you end up with your back against the wall with your entire console business facing complete irrelevancy.

The initial success of the Wii validated the blue ocean strategy and guaranteed that they were going to try it again, which has led to 30k per month sales. They need a whole new leadership team that is not personally ingrained with that mindset.

Top Bottom