• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata announces pay reduction for the entire Nintendo board from Feb to June

Log4Girlz

He isn't a Samurai! lol He is a ceo of a large company. If he keeps failing he steps down to let someone else take control in an attempt to steer things in a new/right direction

and no 'bu bu what if the next guy is also bad?' is not a good counter to this

"But you don't just get rid of people who make horrible decisions and bring a company to its knees! Give him a chance to turn things around!"

Majine

Banned
AkBWqTg.gif

"Now it's eating my money..."

That thing should totally have a crank.

LCGeek

formerly sane
He isn't a Samurai! lol He is a ceo of a large company. If he keeps failing he steps down to let someone else take control in an attempt to steer things in a new/right direction

2 out of 3 ain't bad. If people think they he needs to go because of WiiU it won't change the fact the company operating strategy for consoles is totally not fit for the market at least not long term.

My counter is simple since I've seen this point. Who in the gaming world with cred can step in to his shoes?

Pikma

Banned
So you're telling me that if Iwata steps down Nintendo will magically start making money in a matter of seconds and will fix all current and future problems? Who knew it was that easy.

What the fuck are you waiting for then, Iwata?!

Gorillaz

Lol if he really does continue the pay cut each time shit hits the fan, by 2015 I'll be making more money then him

yo nintendo, get at me i'll take the job

Chuck

Still without luck
So you think the main problem with Nintnedo is Iwata and firing him would fix everything?

Of course not. Him making more decisions for the future of the company definitely won't fix much though. It's not as if he's made one bad decision which got them into this rut. It's many.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The way that companies are managed over there is very different to the western way.
I know this, as I consider myself an expert in Japanese culture, and honor/shame is a big part of it.

Sandfox

You can't see why new leadership could potentially be a good thing for the company? How long do you think in your opinion he should keep trying to 'fix' things?

I don't think Iwata leaving would fix any of their problems and I'm just curious to see how he responds when faced with the Wii U. If he is unable to provide any methods to fix their problems then I think he should step down.

2 out of 3 ain't bad. If people think they he needs to go because of WiiU it won't change the fact the company operating strategy for consoles is totally not fit for the market at least not long term.

My counter is simple since I've seen this point. Who in the gaming world with cred can step in to his shoes?

If Iwata were to leave he would just be replaced with someone hand picked within Nintendo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes, if only the company was more Western.

Maybe Tom Cruise or Keanu Reeves can come save them?
Preferably Tom Cruise. He has a firm grasp on honour and shame since he was in The Last Samurai. He can bridge east and west and open up Ninrendo to new ideas.

B.O.O.M

"But you don't just get rid of people who make horrible decisions and bring a company to its knees! Give him a chance to turn things around!"

Sadly this is exactly what some are trying to say

what are these 2 out of 3 exactly? Because wiiu is a disaster (coming after wii, which is at over 100mil now, it's even worse) and 3ds is doing ok. Things are not going to get any easier.

As for your second question this seems to be the defense a lot of iwata supporters fall back on to. Believe in the evil than the unknown one. How does that even make sense? Are you saying there can't possibly anyone out there who has a better vision for the company as well as is in touch with the industry that Iwata?

I mean how come Iwata even get so much love? I mean they don't even have a proper account system in the year 2014 ffs lol So much for that cred

So tell me, how long should he keep trying...because he has been for a while and it's not going to get any better any time soon.

Mondy

Banned
Iwata must seriously command a strong power faction at the top for him to be able to order two pay cuts for everyone for the sake of looking proactive. He looks more and more desperate every day.

Pikma

Banned
I can only go off known info and past experience with what this guy gas done. a CEO is supposed to plan for the future and increase earning every year, iwata has shown a lack of foresight in ignoring the gaming tendencies of the largest gaming market and planning for the future by buying up more developers to increase output, he's also shown to try to ride a fad or gimmick wave with hardware. he's a horrible leader for the company

Yeah yeah, same old argument, whatever. What I'm asking is, how is that mutually exclusive to the news about the company's board taking a cut? Do you expect them to release their whole plan through a random website the day before an actual shareholders meeting? Or maybe a suicide note on Nikkei? would that satisfy you?

I'm not even defending him nor the company btw, if they don't say anything relevant other than "we have to work harder" tomorrow, I'll be the first person to back your kind of complaining. It's just that it's no time to do it, at least not yet.

I don't think Iwata leaving would fix any of their problems and I'm just curious to see how he responds when faced with the Wii U. If he is unable to provide any methods to fix their problems then I think he should step down..

Firing Iwata is not an end all cure for current problems but it will sure as shit keep the guy from making more idiotic mistakes. How many bad decisions and years of losses is he supposed to be allowed?

Log4Girlz

So you're telling me that if Iwata steps down Nintendo will magically start making money in a matter of seconds and will fix all current and future problems? Who knew it was that easy.

What the fuck are you waiting for then, Iwata?!

I wonder why they bother with a CEO at all? Why not save the money when everyone else is equally responsible? And honestly, once promoted to CEO, shouldn't a person keep that position for ever? I mean, why would anyone ever resign or be booted out, no matter how far their company falls? I mean, does replacing a CEO ever bring instant success?

Never.

Birathen

Had Nintendo been located inbYurop or the US his Nice hair- or Always on time for meetings-bonus would kick in and give him a few millions.

JoeM86

Firing Iwata is not an end all cure for current problems but it will sure as shit keep the guy from making more idiotic mistakes. How many bad decisions and years of losses is he supposed to be allowed?

Well, this is the second projected year of loss ever for the company. Last year, despite an operating loss, had the company end with a Net Profit. So, yeah.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If Iwata were to leave he would just be replaced with someone hand picked within Nintendo.

This will not fix the systemic problems at the company which is they don't take advantage of the consumer base they built over multiple generations.

Him leaving is not necessary the company as a whole changing their policies and how they make games will. I said it years ago when they let factor 5 and other companies who helped make their systems popular go extinct they deserve what is now happening to him which has been predicted for years here.

The next guy won't be any better especially if they keep a certain set of franchises only mentality. I grew up on nintendo in the 80's and have very little interest in zelda, mario, pokemon or dk. I want to see their creative side or the side that gave me star tropics, goldeneye, or kid icarus. Now is the perfect time to bring that nintendo back but it won't happen until they are openly honest about the functionality of their online infrastructure or how they develop games is costing them. They have a warchest they should invest in the right people and get back to doing what they do best. Next to blizzard selling out watching this company become like this is extremely frustrating considering their quality of standards compared to other devs.

B.O.O.M

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The way that companies are managed over there is very different to the western way.
I know this, as I consider myself an expert in Japanese culture, and honor/shame is a big part of it.

I want to believe this is a take on that good ole gaf meme..but alas I'm not even sure anymore!

I don't think Iwata leaving would fix any of their problems and I'm just curious to see how he responds when faced with the Wii U. If he is unable to provide any methods to fix their problems then I think he should step down.

And why do you think? I mean surely you must have a reason to think him staying is the better alternative to a fresh leadership?

And please, wiiu has been in trouble since the launch. Warning signs were there since the unveiling. It only went from bad to worse since then. What has he done so far for you to have faith in him? I mean I have nothing against the guy, not like he ran over my dog or anything. I just don't see why he gets so much faith. Help me understand and I don't say that in a snarky way

btw I'm not saying they should replace him with a Iwata clone, that would defeat the purpose obviously.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
He, along with the rest are still gonna be rich as fuck. I wouldn't worry about it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My new prediction. Nintendo are fucked. They are headless chicken running around in circles with no clue. WiiU is dead, the market for dedicated gaming handhelds is shrinking rapidly and Nindendo are simply not agile enough to adapt.

Stratostar

Interesting. I do find it weird to hear about this, however. It's somewhat of a strange topic for a video game forum, especially since it does not affect us in any way.

B.O.O.M

Why is Iwata doing it then?

cha ching...power...because he can.

take your pick

I think if I'm given the opportunity once I start my grad studies, I would do research on Nintendo and other Japanese corporate cultures. Might be very interesting

I want to believe this is a take on that good ole gaf meme..but alas I'm not even sure anymore!

I'm offended. Wounded, even. Hurt.

I did not expect Iwata to resign his position just yet. If anything, I feel like the board will actually analyze the market for once without relying on their past success. Maybe take in some western influences? Tomorrow shall be an interesting day, that's for sure.

Also, I see a WiiU Pro Controller bundle approaching soon. It seems like a logical step, but I wonder how that's going to affect the market as a whole.

My new prediction. Nintendo are fucked. They are headless chicken running around in circles with no clue. WiiU is dead, the market for dedicated gaming handhelds is shrinking rapidly and Nindendo are simply not agile enough to adapt.

Please wait for the new office building to be completed before judging their future performance.
Mr. Miyamoto is applying the final touches, he recently replaced the tables with ones that can be more easily flipped.

B.O.O.M

I'm offended. Wounded, even. Hurt.

I did not expect Iwata to resign his position just yet. If anything, I feel like the board will actually analyze the market for once without relying on their past success. Maybe take in some western influences? Tomorrow shall be an interesting day, that's for sure.

Also, I see a WiiU Pro Controller bundle approaching soon. It seems like a logical step, but I wonder how that's going to affect the market as a whole.

image.php

I should have had faith in you! Forgive me :D

If the rumor about them using smart devices for marketing and mini game advertising is true, I don't think they really get it. But as you said the investor meeting should shed some light on their future plans, hopefully.

Log4Girlz

Nintendo's biggest problem that they face is that they have absolutely no clue what they are doing and are completely ill prepared to react to a market who's needs they are oblivious to.

That is a very serious problem.

Sandfox

This will not fix the systemic problems at the company which is they don't take advantage of the consumer base they built over multiple generations.

Him leaving is not necessary the company as a whole changing their policies and how they make games will. I said it years ago when they let factor 5 and other companies who helped make their systems popular go extinct they deserve what is now happening to him which has been predicted for years here.

The next guy won't be any better especially if they keep a certain set of franchises only mentality. I grew up on nintendo in the 80's and have very little interest in zelda, mario, pokemon or dk. I want to see their creative side or the side that gave me star tropics, goldeneye, or kid icarus. Now is the perfect time to bring that nintendo back but it won't happen until they are openly honest about the functionality of their online infrastructure or how they develop games is costing them. They have a warchest they should invest in the right people and get back to doing what they do best. Next to blizzard selling out watching this company become like this is extremely frustrating considering their quality of standards compared to other devs.

And why do you think? I mean surely you must have a reason to think him staying is the better alternative to a fresh leadership?

And please, wiiu has been in trouble since the launch. Warning signs were there since the unveiling. It only went from bad to worse since then. What has he done so far for you to have faith in him? I mean I have nothing against the guy, not like he ran over my dog or anything. I just don't see why he gets so much faith. Help me understand and I don't say that in a snarky way

btw I'm not saying they should replace him with a Iwata clone, that would defeat the purpose obviously.

I'm not even saying that he should stay, I just think that the company as a whole has issues that just firing him wouldn't fix as some people like to believe and if they were going to fire him I'd rather they take the time to line up a successor first. I'm mainly just curious in seeing how he plans to act in order to save the company because he is now in a position where he has to make a change and if he can't make them the people who have money or work for the company will want him gone.

duckroll

Is that info from the Shareholders Q&A? I thought that was thursday.

No, this is just a statement released along with their earnings report today. The meeting is tomorrow in Japan. This is probably a gesture of goodwill (cough) to show the shareholders that they're being "responsible", before they face them tomorrow.

Jackano

Can't explain the contrast with here (France) and also USA and the golden parachutes.
When CEOs screw up here, they are fired with a certain amount of money in gift. Makes no sense but that's like that. They earn more by screwing up than Iwata in a decade.

image.php

I should have had faith in you! Forgive me :D

If the rumor about them using smart devices for marketing and mini game advertising is true, I don't think they really get it. But as you said the investor meeting should shed some light on their future plans, hopefully.

Word. I wish I wasn't going to be at the hospital while the presentation was going on. lol

I thought that they denied that rumor about the mobile devices and what not. It seemed like a bad idea, even if other companies are taking advantage of it. To be honest, I don't really feel like firing Iwata would be as game-changing as others believe, but I agree on the fact that Nintendo as a company needs to expand their field.

The WiiU was made as a console that was to go against the PS4 and Xbone by using a unique controller. The problem with it was the price, power, and support. If they wish to get back into the game, Nintendo can't be relying only on 'unique'. I mean, it works. It just needs more than that.

Top Bottom