• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) of Iwata Laughs & Ice-Cream

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/egdj/vol1/index.html

-Participants: Ms. Kyogoku (Director), Mr. Moroeki (Director), Mr. Takahashi (Design Leader)
-Iwata notes that having 2 directors is uncommon. Mr. Moroeki says that the division of labor occurred naturally between the two based on their own specialties.
-Both supported City Folks' Director Mr. Nomura during development. Division carried over from there.
-No problems between the directors during dev time.
-Because the plot (Moving into town, buying a house, paying a loan, etc) may have become stale now the series is over 11 years old, the two directors decided to 'reset' the parts that had become usual from the start.
-Thus the initial concept was 'To create a 'new' Animal Crossing'.
-Some new ideas initially included things like 'Gold Dust digging' to go with fishing and bug catching.
-While that idea didn't get used, the idea to give players the ability to build benches and bridges in the village was there from early on.
-Giving people the ability to customize villages would also make visiting other villages more fun.
-The idea to make the character mayor was quite late. The first year this was not in place, although they were worried just being able to build items may not be 'new' enough for players.
-A preparation for a presentation for Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Tezuka forced them to come up with the mayor idea to give a more cohesive sense to the game.
-The team then realised they already had a mayor in Tortimer so they decided he would retire.
-But they found a happy place for him to live.
- Kyogoku would often come home late and find Tom Nook's store closed. They recognize that many players play around with the clock in previous titles to get over this.
-Of course, if all the shops were open 24 hours, there'd be no difference between day and night and no sense in having the game match up with real-world time.
-Once they made the main character mayor, it made sense that they would be able to alter the laws to some extent.
-Can make the stores open early, or keep them open late.
-Items in the town are paid with donations. The animals will provide some money, but you as the player will end up paying a lot of their own money.
-If you don't do your job as a mayor 'properly' no one will complain at you in the village.
-There is an initial 'hurdle' you must complete as mayor early on, but once clearedyou're free to do what you want.
-The tree planting at the beginning of the game - your first act as mayor - was included after Eguchi played the game and didn't feel like he really was mayor. This was quite late in development.
-The also added a ceremony after building your first bridge to help with this.
-You can chose not to have the ceremony if you'd like.
-The worried about including Mr. Restti again. Some people don't like being yelled at by him. Especially young girls - they have heard of some who cried while playing.
-They gave the player the ability to include the Reset Management Center as a part of being mayor.
-They're starting to run out of recognizable animals - to the point where they were looking at different breeds of dogs.
-Lisa, the owner of the Recycle Shop, is an alpaca, which have been quite popular in Japan recently. The developers consider it quite lucky.
-The try to pick animals that suit the shops they run. Reiji the Lazy Sloth owner of the garden shop was decided because sloths live in the forest and they thought a forest animal would suit that shop.
-A tapir runs the Dream Emporium because of the Japanese myth of them eating dreams (like the Pokemon Hypno or Munna), but the devs realised only Japan thinks this way.
-Some animals like Cap'n and the seagull have returned to earlier roles.
-This may be brand new stuff for people who began with Wide World.
-Because of the 3D they had to work harder to avoid crude elements.
-They are happy with the amount of furniture in the game.
-They aimed to create 1.5 the amount of items as in City Folk.
-Not just filler, but items people would want to use in their homes.
-There was a board for ideas not just for the designers, but all development staff.
-If you're not good at design, you can easily just repaint/refurbish things in a solid color.
-The team is excited to see what people come up with post-release.
-They hope that people will see other people's model homes and want to improve their own homes.
-They wanted to include a feature using Wii Connect24 for City Folk where people could visit your town while you slept, but there were limitations so they couldn't.
-However, they could do it with this game (the Dream Emporium). You upload your data to the server and then other people can come visit you easily.
-Doesn't require friend codes. Doesn't affect the other person's village.
-Good for people who don't have friends or people who play near by.
-For online functions, not only can you do stuff with 3DS friends, there is stuff you can only do with those registered as best friends.
-Best Friends don't have to be system friends. For people playing on the same cart who don't want the system code to be shared with people they don't know.
-You can exchange chat messages with Best Friends even if they aren't in your village, but they are online.
-Great for turnips!
-And fishing tournaments!
-The DS holidays were designed to make localization easier - rather than making regional events.
-Of course, holidays you are familiar with are more fun.
-They worked with localization teams to create items. Like a plate of 12 grapes for the Spanish New Year.
-Thus some items are region specific. If you visit a friend's village in that region during the right time, you can buy these items.
-They considered what animals would have what items in their homes and included items they thought would match.
-Many veteran staff of the series as well as many new staff to the series.
-They improved the graphics, mentioning the animals themselves and the museum exhibits.
-Finally, Iwata mentions the benefits of the download version.

All translations my own.
If you notice any translation errors, please let me know.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I hope resetting the beginning means no more searching for all the residents and saying hey.

Thanks for the translation btw.

vareon

-Lisa, the owner of the Recycle Shop, is an alpaca, which have been quite popular in Japan recently. The developers consider it quite lucky.

I need to know the relationship between Japan and alpacas.

I'm really glad they brought back localized holidays. It really sucked playing a game that didn't have recognizable holidays just because they were lazy.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Great translation, thanks.

-Best Friends don't have to be system friends. For people playing on the same cart who don't want the system code to be shared with people they don't know.
So this confirms multiple save slots?

Thanks for the translation! (Though I hope someone creates a new thread for the English one if it's not released soon.)

This game sounds like a big improvement from the old ones.

Edit:

-The worried about including Mr. Restti again. Some people don't like being yelled at by him. Especially young girls - they have heard of some who cried while playing.
lol He works better than expected :p

Neiteio

I could barely bring myself to play City Folk, it was so uninspired -- I think I made a Peter Griffin mask and dicked around for a bit and called it quits. But you could tell that game was uninspired from a mile away. New Leaf, on the other hand, is brimming with great ideas, and this series lends itself better to portable pick-up-and-play, anyways. I'm excited to check out the towns other people upload to the Dream Emporium; it's cool you can visit even when they're not online or registered as friends, and you can explore their village without risk of messing it up. I'll be interested to see the lay of the land, where they placed buildings and bridges and benches and so on, how they styled the exterior and interior of their home, how they custom-designed their furniture, what unique items they may have in the store, how thriving their shopping district has become, etc. You can really go all-out with shaping the village in this one.

Plus, it's going to look so nice on the 3DS -- not only the toy-like tangibility of autostereoscopic 3D, but I think I saw some Galaxy-like specular highlights on the colorful cobblestone roads in the model village and shopping center, and the water has a nice fluidity to it now as it courses downstream. I also love the slender new bodies of the characters, how they allow for pants and boots and such that you can customize just as you would a shirt, allowing you to really create full-fledged outfits. And it's possible to share your patterns via QR codes -- I know I'll be scanning the designs you guys come up with once the game comes out. Sure beats counting pixels and trying to recreate them manually!

Neiteio

I'm incredibly conflicted about whether to get the retail copy or digital.

On the one hand, digital is extremely convenient -- no cartridge swapping necessary, which encourages daily play in small spurts.

On the other hand, the Wild Art boxart, at least, was top-notch, and cartridges feel a bit more reliable in terms of how "future-proofed" they are.

This feels like it's going to be the "Mario Galaxy" of Animal Crossing games, so I kind of want it on my shelf.

Hmm...

EDIT: Aww screw it, I should probably just go digital. I just thought of how awesome Pushmo is being available at all times.

zroid

Banned
I'm incredibly conflicted about whether to get the retail copy or digital.

On the one hand, digital is extremely convenient -- no cartridge swapping necessary, which encourages daily play in small spurts.

On the other hand, the Wild Art boxart, at least, was top-notch, and cartridges feel a bit more reliable in terms of how "future-proofed" they are.

This feels like it's going to be the "Mario Galaxy" of Animal Crossing games, so I kind of want it on my shelf.

Hmm...

I will probably get both, I just haven't decided which to buy first. I'll pick up the other version much further down the road. Most likely digital first though.

Neiteio

I will probably get both, I just haven't decided which to buy first. I'll pick up the other version much further down the road. Most likely digital first though.
Why both? So you can make two completely different villages and double-dip items? I guess there could be advantages to that. Currently, I'm thinking I'll just download the HD assets Nintendo will presumably upload to their press site (including the cover art), and stick with the digital version for the sake of convenience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can I visit other players that are save games on my 3DS and leave gifts, or send them messages? Thinking with four save slots I can be the mayor and my kids can use other slots to play too

Gravijah

can I visit other players that are save games on my 3DS and leave gifts, or send them messages? Thinking with four save slots I can be the mayor and my kids can use other slots to play too

you'd be able to mail them (gifts, text, etc) and stuff like that, since i assume it works exactly like the old games.

zroid

Banned
Why both? So you can make two completely different villages and double-dip items? I guess there could be advantages to that. Currently, I'm thinking I'll just download the HD assets Nintendo will presumably upload to their press site (including the cover art), and stick with the digital version for the sake of convenience.

Pretty much digital to play (for the long term), and retail to keep on the shelf >.<

I wouldn't normally buy a digital copy but for Animal Crossing I need to make an exception. Although maintaining two villages could also have its uses. I do have two 3DS systems anyway.

The Lamp

dealwithit.gif

The proper reaction is to laugh at his insanity. Stupid little girls ruining gaming for everyone! lol

Neiteio

So I didn't imagine the bit about being able to share clothing and furniture patterns with others via a Pushmo-style QR code import/export feature, right? I recall that from another thread and if true, it's truly a killer-app feature since as Pushmo players know, it's AWESOME to simply scan and collect a kick-ass design from another player. I can already see myself in the official NeoGAF thread holding my 3DS to the computer screen repeatedly to stock up on NES/SNES sprite patterns made by you fine folks. :)

-A preparation for a presentation for Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Tezuka forced them to come up with the mayor idea to give a more cohesive sense to the game.
Shigod Miyasus' influence impacting yet another Nintendo game.

Only the King.

Neiteio

Just whipped this together with low-res images off a Tumblr -- if anyone has higher res versions, would be appreciated.

Dat T-Day Turkey.

ACNL-Seasons.jpg

Neiteio

Are those light-up decorations or ice sculptures in the Chrismas pic I posted? Maybe during the holidays, you as mayor can deck out your town with Christmas cheer?

Also looks like there's a totem pole in the summer pic, a seaside windmill in the autumn pic and one of those flower-covered arches you can walk through in the spring pic. Are these other structures you can build as mayor?

Insaniac

what are these benefits of the download version? (I assume to be able to access your town any time) I plan on DLing it because I'll be playing AC all the time

Neiteio

what are these benefits of the download version? (I assume to be able to access your town any time) I plan on DLing it because I'll be playing AC all the time
Animal Crossing is one of those games you might play for a few minutes or a few hours, a game that has something different to see every day (or night). Having a copy ready to go at all times on your system is convenient. I could keep a favorite action game like Resident Evil Revelations or Super Mario 3D Land or Kid Icarus Uprising or Mario Kart 7 in the card slot... and play DD titles like Animal Crossing or Pushmo in-beween action game sessions. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Animal Crossing will probably be a game I play at home, and since my commutes are not very long I usually only take one game with me.

But if the retail price isn't a lot cheaper I'll probably opt for digital copy.

Might need to clear out my friendlist for this game.

Animal Crossing will probably be a game I play at home, and since my commutes are not very long I usually only take one game with me.

But if the retail price isn't a lot cheaper I'll probably opt for digital copy.

Might need to clear out my friendlist for this game.

Retail/digital prices will most likely be the same

TriGen

Thanks for the translation! I haven't played an Animal Crossing game since the GC, but I think this one might bring me back.

Polari

I loved the original and Wild World but thought City Folk was pretty pathetic... hoping this has enough to reignite my interest in the series.

I loved the original and Wild World but thought City Folk was pretty pathetic... hoping this has enough to reignite my interest in the series.
Well, this seems like it has addressed almost all the issues from City Folk, while keeping all the improvements it made.

I'm personally hyped beyond belief.

Refugio

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/egdj/vol1/index.html
-They wanted to include a feature using Wii Connect24 for City Folk where people could visit your town while you slept, but there were limitations so they couldn't.
-However, they could do it with this game (the Dream Emporium). You upload your data to the server and then other people can come visit you easily.
-Doesn't require friend codes. Doesn't affect the other person's village.
-Good for people who don't have friends or people who play near by.

I remember reading about this and hoping you could just visit random ones as well. Cool to see that's in. I think it'll be fun exploring random peoples villages.

Thank you for the translation.

Neiteio

Tempted to make an incredibly macabre village, with spilt intestine patterns and eyeballs and flesh and blood vomitted everywhere (this is assuming you can still tile the ground outside with custom-made pattern). That way, when people visit my village at random via the Dream Emporium, they'll think they walked into some Lovecraftian hell dimension.

Top Bottom