• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Ask's: Bravelt Default

Zenaku

A new Iwata Ask's has been released, featuring Tomoya Asano (Producer) and Naotaka Hayashi(Scenario).

1. A charming world
2. "Reason" and "Sensitivity"
3. What is an "Oudou RPG"? (lit. "rule of right"/"kings road" RPG)
4. Catchball with Demo's
5. The challenge towards a new Oudou RPG

I'll be having a go at translating interesting bits later, if no other source handles it.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol20/index.html

There will also be a Nico Video live broadcast for Bravely Default in a little over 2 hours from this edit. It's set to show the game being played, as well as explain the game system and the use of the job system, alongside brand new information.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv107678312

Iwata: Listening to what you've said I've found it unusual that you've thought so logically about the roles and functions (of characters) and how you can bring them life. Usually, when one thinks of Square Enix it's easy to think of pretty graphics, and the idea that a characters visual image comes first more often than not. But to answer the question "Why are RPG's interesting?" with the logical analysis of "They're fun because of the wonderful construction of the features and scenario" at its root, and for the both of you to focus from there from the beginning of development, I feel may be the source of this games individuality.

Iwata: The average feeling is that "demo versions let you enjoy the beginning of the full version" in most cases, but that isn't the case this time, right?

Asano: Yes. Instead of cutting out a portion of the full version for a demo, we've purposely had them lack story, focusing on the gameplay. Even if you earned levels and money, it's not fun if you have to play through the same area again, so we wanted the story to be something you experience freshly in the full version.

Iwata: This time, via the demoes, you engaged in catchball with the players. Answering opinions from players with "We'll do this next time", comunicating along the way, I thought "this is something that can only be done in this day and age", but was that way of developing your idea?

Asano: Yes, it was.

Iwata: What led you to come to that idea?

Asano: Actually, I sit close to someone working on a social game, and seeing that was the beginning. After being released social games are constantly having their quality improved based on players reactions. That's why I thought "can we introduce even a little of that development formats good points into ours?"

Asano: It's be about 2 years since we started planning, and it was a long 2 years (laughs). However, it was a chance to create a new Oudou RPG, and the effort for the AR, the many demoes and the catchball with the players, I feel we've done our best. That's why even though the release is a little scary, it's also exciting.

luokyl

Technically, it's "Shachou ga kiku", or "Company President Asks" in the Japanese versions.

Sine it's about Bravely Default anyway, there's a Nico Video live broadcast exactly 2 hours from this post; I've put it in the OP.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv107678312

I'll be going through the IA in the meantime and adding quotes.

I think he was taking a blow at the misplaced apostrophe in the thread title... in which case it still doesn't make sense.

Zenaku

I think he was taking a blow at the misplaced apostrophe in the thread title... in which case it still doesn't make sense.

Crap. Oh well.

Some notes I made during the live broadcast.

-9 weapon types
-Multiple finishing moves per weapon type
-Effects of finishing moves (which can be customized) stack
-Each character has a unique theme which plays after using a finishing move
-Send characters to other people by Street Pass or over the Internet
-Nolende Village takes 1000 hours to rebuild; increasing the population will reduce this time
-Increase the villages population via Street Pass or by using the internet
-A shop in Nolende Village lets you buy parts to customize finishing moves
-Abilities gained via abilink are less powerful and require higher cost
-"Fear" status ailment prevents Braving and Defaulting
-Some bosses have huge amounts of HP
-Dark Knight job shown, looks like FF4 Dark Knight Cecil
-Dark Knight's skills can use up HP; you can inflict status effects on yourself to increase abilities
-Onion Knight costume shown for Tiz; obtained via FaceBook
-Planning more costumes, some to be distributed via Twitter
-46 tracks in the game, with 10 being battle tunes
-Collaboration weapon with Dengeki; a lance

onilink88

Bravelt Defaulty? ;)

i still got hopes for a euro release...

You'll get it on iOS.
:p

Truly one of the worst game names ever.

It's right behind Infinite Undiscovery.

Meaning of the name:

In a recent Famitsu interview the game's scenario writer Naotaka Hayashi, of Steins;Gate fame (he's the one in the grey t-shirt in Famitsu's article), and producer Tomoya Asano explained the meaning of the Bravely Default part. The concept of the game's scenario, said Asano, is expressed in the Bravely Default title. It means "Have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you." In other words, don't just blindly do what you're told, act according to your will.

You may be able to see how "Bravely" and "Default" can come from that. Unfortunately, the two did not discuss the meaning of the Flying Fairy part of the title.

Sounded weird at first, but once the explanation sinks in, it's not that bad.

Crap. Oh well.

-9 weapon types

-Nolende Village takes 1000 hours to rebuild; increasing the population will reduce this time
-Dark Knight's skills can use up HP; you can inflict status effects on yourself to increase abilities

Wait, what was that I just...

zenaku said:
Crap. Oh well.

-9 weapon types

LOL.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dark Knight's Death Sentence skill boosts stats by a large margin at the expense of casting Doom on yourself with 5 turns until death.

Being damaged by an attack as a Dark Knight also increases your attack stat a bit each time.

After the 5th demo, I'm quite excited for this game. Gonna to try and finish Rayman Origins 3DS and Harmo Night before this comes out though!

urfe

This is the only game that encourages me not to play my 3DS.

Got some little dudes upgrading the weapon shop, and it's another 3 hours until they're done.

Schlomo

After the last demo I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order. I like everything about the game except the battles, which drag on forever and are really slow even when you use fast forward. And something like that can really kill my enjoyment of a good RPG, e.g. Lost Odyssey.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, okay. I'm guessing he's the scenario guy?

I think the composer was someone else from outside the usual Square camp, too, from memory.

Yup. He was the guy who wrote Steins:Gate as mentioned by onilink88 above.

Zenaku

Pretty much all the comments after "FaceBook" was mentioned were "I don't like FB" or "release it on Twitter!". I can't see any other costumes being released on FB in future.

Sorry I've been slow; my computer crashed when I was half way through reading the IA, and I lost a number of quotes I'd translated into Notepad. I'll be adding more in a few hours, hopefully.

I think the composer was someone else from outside the usual Square camp, too, from memory.
The composer is "Revo". Apparently he already has a copy of the game, and is enjoying it thoroughly. He definitely loves games.

Oh, and could a mod update the title to "Iwata Asks: Bravely Default + New Info"? Thanks.

Translations of Iwata Asks. Tried to focus on stuff we didn't know.

-The first RPG Asano (white shirt) ever passed was FF3. Ironically, he was in charge of the FF3 remake on the DS. Also worked on Four Warriors of Light and the FF4 remake.
- Hayashi (Mages) worked on the scenario. Used to work at KID. Worked on the scenario for Stein's Gate.
-Asano first said to Hayashi he wanted him to create characters you could fall in love with.
-The 'base' idea of the game was four characters who had changable jobs.
-They focused on creating characters who had good interactions with each other, and a balance of personalities and how to show the drama between them and the "bad guys".
-The main character's motivation is to restore her hometown.
-For example, say it takes 1,000 hours to restore it with one person, 500 with two, 250 with four and so on, where the additional villagers are collected through StreetPass. The main character is the one who bears the communication functions.
-One of the heroines is the daughter of bad characters.
-The notebook held by Ringabel can be read by the player at any time. It contains information on the future.
-The game (scenario, characters) has a nostalgic feeling of older style RPGs.
-Abi-Link system; can use friends higher-leveled character's abilities for a time.
-Can connect the game online for those living in regions where StreetPasses are uncommon.
-Core-concept: "A single player RPG that you play together"
-Quests, like item collections, don't make up the main part of the game, like the 5th demo.
-Order of learning abilities is different too.
-Changing the game based on feedback from the demo was based on seeing how social games are improved on after release with feedback from players.
-Team worked hard to increase the battle speed, but Asano recognises it will still not please everyone.
-Asano feels the pressure because of the expectations with this being a SE RPG.
-No problems picking the battle system up for FF or DQ fans.
-Been in-dev (since planning) for about 2 years.

vareon

-The first RPG Asano (white shirt) ever passed was FF3. Ironically, he was in charge of the FF3 remake on the DS. Also worked on Four Warriors of Light and the FF4 remake.
- Hayashi (Mages) worked on the scenario. Used to work at KID. Worked on the scenario for Stein's Gate.
-Asano first said to Hayashi he wanted him to create characters you could fall in love with.
-They focused on creating characters who had good interactions with each other, and a balance of personalities and how to show the drama between them and the "bad guys".

-For example, say it takes 1,000 hours to restore it with one person, 500 with two, 250 with four and so on, where the additional villagers are collected through StreetPass. The main character is the one who bears the communication functions.
-The notebook held by Ringabel can be read by the player at any time. It contains information on the future.
-Abi-Link system; can use friends higher-leveled character's abilities for a time.
-Can connect the game online for those living in regions where StreetPasses are uncommon.
-Quests, like item collections, don't make up the main part of the game, like the 5th demo.
-Changing the game based on feedback from the demo was based on seeing how social games are improved on after release with feedback from players.
-Team worked hard to increase the battle speed, but Asano recognises it will still not please everyone.

Why does this sound so awesome?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Crap. Oh well.

-9 weapon types

Really appreciated, thanks guys :)
This games sounds friggin awesome, i`ll be sooo pissed if they dont announce a western release soon.

urfe

Just got to the third boss on the demo, he destroyed me.

The importance of the braving and defaulting cannot be understated, completely changes RPG mechanics.

Loved the Iwata Asks too. Cannot say enough praise for this game.

Crap. Oh well.

-9 weapon types
500hs confirmed.

Where's my New Game+?

Iwata: "Is it true you hate dirty Westerners?"

SE: "(laughs) Yes, we've made the official desicion our game isn't good enough for them"

Iwata "(laughs)"

I don't think Theatryhtm was announced for localisation until after the Japanese release right?

Maybe be waiting to see how Japan performs before announcing anything.

I'll admit I haven't looked into this much, but it's nice to see that there's more to this game than classic FF with another name slapped on it as the visuals would suggest.

nickcv

can someone explain exactly what genre is this game?

i thought it was an RPG, but then i watched the video demo on youtube and seems more like a weird dating sim (i do not have audio here at work, but the images of the girl materializing on the player bed were pretty weird)

Top Bottom