• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks is really rad, but... well, nothing. It's just rad. Let's read 'em again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thanks for putting this together OP. Definitely going to go through most of these.

His final role with the company will be to commit ritual suicide in the last Nintendo Direct.

If Iwata does retire, he'll go back to HAL Laboratory and continue making Kirby stuff.

He's actually a very hands-on CEO. Believe it or not, even as president of Nintendo he helps out with game development from time to time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If Iwata does retire, he'll go back to HAL Laboratory and continue making Kirby stuff.

He's actually a very hands-on CEO. Believe it or not, even as president of Nintendo he helps out with game development from time to time.
Weird, how is he helping out? As CEO of a multi billing international company you would think that he has more important stuff to handle.

jmls1121

Banned
Weird, how is he helping out? As CEO of a multi billing international company you would think that he has more important stuff to handle.

Nintendo is a bizarre company in so many respects. It is what makes them so great, but could you imagine Kaz getting down to business working with the coders?

Nintendo is a bizarre company in so many respects. It is what makes them so great, but could you imagine Kaz getting down to business working with the coders?

Most CEOs of game companies (I'm looking at you, Activision) don't even PLAY video games. Iwata is a game developer and a gamer at heart...games are much more than just "a business" for him.

Just look at Iwata putting all this effort into "Iwata Asks" as proof of this.

also

Banned

Do you have any sources to back up this claim? If it's true, I'm really curious about what exactly he helped with.

udivision

Do you have any sources to back up this claim? If it's true, I'm really curious about what exactly he helped with.

Doesn't he have a codec in Metroid Prime 3? Dunno if he was CEO during that time... but he talks about working on it, I thought.

also

Banned
Doesn't he have a codec in Metroid Prime 3? Dunno if he was CEO during that time... but he talks about working on it, I thought.
Good catch, I completely forgot about it.
Him, Kensuke Tanabe, Yoshio Sakamoto, Kenji Yamoto and Shigeru Miyamoto all have a codec in Metroid Prime 3. According to a reader of the Nintendo site you go to, Iwata supposedly says: "Hello, this is Iwata from Nintendo. You may not know from an outsiders point of view, but being a director is really hard! When things are really busy and stressful we (us directors) may look tired and sick, then people may feel sorry for us. But in my case, it's the opposite, I get fatter and fatter, so then people don't think I'm stressed at all!" But someone else translated it as president. I watched the credits and he is credited as executive producer and not director so the first one is probably a mistranslation, though it would be nice if someone well versed in Japanese could confirm which is it.

Iwata became NCL's president in 2002, roughly 5 years before MP3's relese.

@MUWANdo

Banned

He assigned himself to the Smash Bros. Melee team to help out during the final stretch of development, not long after he became president. I can't find a link to the source right now but it's from a speech he gave at GDC or E3 or some other international gathering in the early 2000s.

There are other stories that come up in various Iwata Asks articles that mention the hands-on work he did while he was president of HAL, too--he made all the localisation/debugging tools for the first Pokemon games, for example, and ported the Pokemon battle logic to N64 in about a week.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Included a link to the Japanese Iwata Asks directory to the OP--there's a bunch of Japanese articles pertaining to first-party games like Tomodachi Collection and Kiki Trick that will never be localised, as well a bunch of third-party stuff.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/links/index.html

There's an Etrian Odyssey 4 article up there, but it seems like NOA doesn't translate articles for games they aren't publishing themselves, which sucks.

DrWong

Great thread!

Just re-read the Yoichi Kotabe Iwata Asks and as a Nintendo fan and an anime fan who had the chance to meet Kotabe, it's a fantastic read. When you know from where Kotabe came as an animator, his essential and historical contribution to the Japanese animation and the fact that he became, later a critical/key person at Nintendo, involved with so many great franchises... I say wow! In a certain way, the legacy of the early Toei Animation days, those where people like Takahata, Miyazaki, Otsuka and Kotabe defined a certain vision of the animation, this legacy is also a part of Nintendo approach/philosophy.

I like this part of this Iwata Ask:

Kotabe: Then Ike-chan-Hiroshi Ikeda-approached me.

Iwata: Ikeda-san has already retired from Nintendo, but he was once Miyamoto-san's boss.

Kotabe: Ike-chan also joined Toei Animation when I did.

Iwata: Huh?! Really?!

Kotabe: That's why I call him Ike-chan. He's older than I am, but I argued with him a lot, too. Like when we made Flying Phantom Ship. He was the director and I was the animation director.

Iwata: I see.

Miyamoto-san, sorry to have kept you waiting.

Miyamoto: No problem.

Iwata: How many years after you joined Nintendo did Ikeda-san become your boss?

Miyamoto: About 7 or 8 years, I think. About the time we were making Super Mario Bros. He really gave me free rein. He was the first manager of the Entertainment Analysis and Development Department.

Iwata: When Kotabe-san was to join, what did you think, Miyamoto-san?

Miyamoto: I didn't think it could be true. I had always liked manga and had watched a lot of animation, but not so much that I knew his name. But when a true animation geek heard Kotabe-san's name, he started shaking.

Kotabe: You're kidding. (laughs)

Miyamoto: No, when we met you together, he was so nervous he was shaking. (laughs)

Before I met you, Ikeda-san had introduced me to Mr. Takao Kozai, who illustrated Sally, the Witch and New Star of the Giants.

Kotabe: Kozai-san is also from Toei Animation.

Iwata: Really? Nintendo is really in the hands of Toei Animation's venerable elite!

Miyamoto: We had Kozai-san do the art for Punch-out!!11, and occasions for asking cooperation from external professionals were gradually increasing, but we were going to have Kotabe-san come right in as an employee. I thought, "Is that all right?!" (laughs)

moulels

I don't know if this qualifies as an Iwata Asks, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's a really insightful conversation with Itoi about multiple subjects.

http://www.1101.com/iwata/index.html

Iwata:
Let's see... phone calls used to have more lags in the old days. Although underwater cables are frequently used for international calls now, satellites were used before. Stationary satellites are located about 36000km away from the surface of the earth. So the voice is transmitted to 36000km above, and then 36000km down, which is over 70000km in total. When someone says "Hello", and the other answers "Hello", the signal makes two round trips, which is a total of a little over 140000km. Light and electronic waves are transmitted about 300000km per second, so the signal takes about 0.4 seconds to be transmitted 140000km. So when you say "Hello" and the other answers "Hello" back, there is approximately a 0.4 second lag.

DrWong

I don't know if this qualifies as an Iwata Asks, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's a really insightful conversation with Itoi about multiple subjects.

http://www.1101.com/iwata/index.html

I had a lol here.
Itoi: If you ask Mogi sitting there, Mr.Iwata's still the "guy that knows about computers", rather than the top of Nintendo.

Mogi: Yes.

All: (laugh)

Iwata: If I heard that there's not enough memory on the computers, I would open up the machines adding more RAM.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I love Takashi Tezuka to death, but he gives the worst interviews, lol.

EVH

This and the Nintendo Direct events are some of the best things that Iwata did to Nintendo.

It is just pure fun.

Oblivion

He assigned himself to the Smash Bros. Melee team to help out during the final stretch of development, not long after he became president. I can't find a link to the source right now but it's from a speech he gave at GDC or E3 or some other international gathering in the early 2000s.

Guh? That makes no sense. Smash Bros. Melee came out in 2001, Iwata didn't even become president until what, 2003? 2002 at the very earliest.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Guh? That makes no sense. Smash Bros. Melee came out in 2001, Iwata didn't even become president until what, 2003? 2002 at the very earliest.

I found the quote--it was from his GDC 2005 speech:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2005/03/11/gdc-2005-iwata-keynote-transcript?page=3

If you don't mind, I will finish today with memories from one more franchise in my development career - Super Smash Bros. At the time it was being developed for Nintendo GameCube, I was already working full time for Nintendo. But my heart told me I was still a developer. So, as president, I assigned myself to HAL to rejoin the team finishing the game. Once again, I was living on the developer's diet of chips, pizza and rice balls, and working through the night. From their offices, it was possible to see Mt. Fuji, which many say is most impressive if you're willing to wake up and see it at dawn. But during this period, just as years before with our Kirby Games, we at HAL would see the sun shining on the mountain before we ever went to bed. May say the sight of first light on Mt. Fuji inspires them. But for me, I hope I never see it again! [Laughs]

Wikipedia says he officially became president on May 31, 2002, whereas Melee came out in late-2001 in Japan/NA and mid-2002 in PAL-land (May 24 in EU, May 31 in AUS), so yeah, the dates don't precisely match up for every version of the game.

Something to remember about Nintendo is that day to day operations are done via the board of directors. Yes, Iwata is President, but that more or less makes him the head of the board (and the figurehead of it). Of course he still has a lot to do and a lot of power within the company, but that doesn't mean the company relies on him for all of the business end of the operations at all times.

Oblivion

Datschge

Actually it was the original Smash Bros. on N64 while he was president of HAL, not Melee and his presidency at Nintendo.

Datschge

Scroll up.

I think that secondary source is off. There was some Iwata ask with HAL people or Sakurai were they directly talked about Smash Bros. (the original, not Melee) and mentioned this with early screens of it having started as a generic fighting game, as well as other times he got similarly involved (as with Mother 2).

Draconian

I haven't read much of these, but they're always great. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D one is amazing. He interviews the sound designers, the original dev team leaders, the team leaders at Grezzo, and Miyamoto. I really need to read more of these. I wasn't expecting there to be as many funny moments as there are either.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Not strictly an Iwata Asks article, but I figure it's worth mentioning here:

Nintendo and Shigesato Itoi are celebrating the release of Mother 2 on the Wii U VC with a "Mother 2 Resurrection Festival", which is a fancy way of saying "we're gonna reminisce about Mother 2 for a few weeks".

Anyway, Itoi has begun posting a series of conversations held with Iwata about Mother 2 on his website, Hobonichi; there are three all up and they intend to release one per day. The first part has already been translated by a fan, and he's going to translate the others as they're released, too. Check it out!

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45700864819/mother-2-re-release-discussion-part-1

Jackano

Nintendo and Shigesato Itoi are celebrating the release of Mother 2 on the Wii U VC with a "Mother 2 Resurrection Festival", which is a fancy way of saying "we're gonna reminisce about Mother 2 for a few weeks".

Anyway, Itoi has begun posting a series of conversations held with Iwata about Mother 2 on his website, Hobonichi; there are three all up and they intend to release one per day. The first part has already been translated by a fan, and he's going to translate the others as they're released, too. Check it out!

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45700864819/mother-2-re-release-discussion-part-1

They even have an Iwata: laughts right away.
Will be a great read, thanks for posting the link!

@MUWANdo

Banned

...and here's part 2!

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45769265360/hobo-nichi-mother-2-re-release-part-2

TrickRoom

With that many links in the OP, how different would it be if there was just one link to Iwata Asks itself? (Minus the fan translations, of course)

I was investigating how easy it would be to create iBooks/PDFs of the Iwata Asks series. Mainly so I can read them on my iPhone/iPad more easily, and build up an archive.

The answer: its not easy enough for me to go through and do all 200. Generally the Nintendo website was not created to allow for easy reading of these articles. And because there's no easy reading, there's no easy ripping.

But I wondered if the product of the past hour would be useful for people?

So, here's my test file of the latest Iwata Asks:
Pokémon X & Pokémon Y (1MB PDF)
Pokémon X & Pokémon Y (2.3MB iBook)

This was done by cutting and pasting each page of text into iBooks Author, and then applying some standardised formatting. Videos were embedded as links. Images were not used inside this particular Iwata Asks.

Thoughts appreciated.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Iwata joined Nintendo in 2000 as Corporate Planning Director. He was pretty much heading the board of directors while Yamauchi enjoyed his last 2 years as emperor.

Top Bottom