• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Expects Wii U to be Priced Higher than Wii

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/08/wii_u_pricing/

Nintendo left out many of the finer details about Wii U at the system's announcement yesterday. Among the major points: price.

In an interview with Nikkei (registration required), however, Iwata did share what appears to be a rough lower limit, saying that Nintendo does not plan on selling the device for the same price as the current Wii. This means we can probably expect the Wii U to cost above ¥20,000.

Iwata also told Nikkei that he doesn't expect the Wii to immediately disappear following the Wii U's release, suggesting that Nintendo plans on offering the current system for at least a limited time after its successor is on the market.

"selling the device for the same price as the current Wii"

The current Wii sells for 150 bucks. Of course it won't be priced that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
$299-$349

I don't think I'll buy unless it's $299, but depends on launch titles.

I think pricing it at $349 would not be smart.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
He only mentioned the price in yen, saying it's "likely" to cost more than 20k. The Wii launched at 25k yen.
EDIT: Never mind, I misread the article in the OP. Yeah, of course it won't launch at the current Wii price.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I wonder if he means the price the Wii is currently at now or its original launch price. I hope it's the former and it still launches around $250 or less. But I have doubts that it will be below $300.

Michan

Foliorum Viridum said:
What was the Wii at UK launch? £250? It's so long ago I can't remember.

I think it was. Under £350 seems okay, to me.
£179, eventually increased to £199 due to moneygrabbing tactics economic issues.

Bad move. Baaaaaaaaaaad move if it's over $199.

...but they might not have a choice. Nintendo's in a serious box right now.
Can't they take a loss by selling WiiU cheaper? Surely they can cushion it with their massive financial war-chest built up by the DS and Wii?

WillyFive

Hopefully he means current price and not launch price.

TheJollyCorner said:
Bad move. Baaaaaaaaaaad move.

Can't they take a loss by selling WiiU cheaper? Surely they can cushion it with their massive financial war-chest built up by the DS and Wii?

How will they make their money back? The war chest isn't going to last long if you keep losing money on it. The games will have to be expensive and sell well.

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's not value for money at $350

$299 or $249....when you go pass $300 you are basically committing price suicide...

jwluther

TheJollyCorner said:

You want them to sell a system that's more powerful than the PS3/360 and has a 6.2 inch touch screen controller w/ gyros, rumble, etc. for $199 or less?

Riiiiiight...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
TheJollyCorner said:

Come on now, they're not going to price this 50$ lower than the 3DS at launch... let's be serious.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
F#A#Oo said:
It's not value for money at $350

The market determines value. Just like with the Wii, if the content is compelling enough then consumers will pay for it.

szaromir

Banned
StuBurns said:
There's no reason not to launch at $300, you've going to move the first five million units regardless.
Just like 3DS amirite? The price should be proportional to hardware.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Considering the price of the 3DS, I'm sure they'll vie for a £300 pricepoint. I don't know how I feel about that.

French said:
Nintendo to release an overpriced product ?

No way !

I've seen nothing from you but trolling in Nintendo and Microsoft threads. Cut that shit out.

FOOTE

Willy105 said:
Hopefully he means current price and not launch price.

How will they make their money back? The war chest isn't going to last long if you keep losing money on it. The games will have to be expensive and sell well.
I wonder what the retail for games will be on Wii U.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
szaromir said:

No it shouldn't. It should be priced according to what people are willing to pay for the experience it provides. If 3DS had launched with a Mario game, it would have sold a lot more at the same $250 price.

Medalion

Banned
jwluther said:
You want them to sell a system that's more powerful than the PS3/360 and has a 6.2 inch touch screen controller w/ gyros, rumble, etc. for $199 or less?

Riiiiiight...
Yes. Becuz Nintendo isnt exactly blowing people away lately with this reveal or 3ds lately to remain competitive for the future when the next gen Sony and Microsoft systems launch

Cemperor

Neo Member
My bets are on $399 / €399 at lauch, if indeed the machine is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. The controller will not be cheap to produce either and Nintendo is well known for selling hardware above production costs. Let's be fair: it's a brand new next-gen gaming console. You can't compare this with the current Wii or 3DS.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
szaromir said:
This is not how pricing works, and it was proven multiple times.
Price is determined by the market, hardware can bring it up because of manufacturing costs but it's not the one determining factor.

venne said:
So if you break it you have to buy an entire new console?

That would be idiotic.
Buying a new console instead of sending the controller in to have it replaced wouldn't be so smart, yeah.

DarkPanda

What they should do: $399, at least 80% of a generational leap over the 360/PS3
What I expect they'll do: $249-$299, will be a Wii-like leap over the 360/PS3.

TheJollyCorner said:

Tag quote.

I'm expecting not a penny less than 400 dollars. I just don't see it priced at 300 with the 3DS starting at 250 and 350 sounds like wishful thinking.

I think the market for console prices is contracting, frankly, and regardless of what it costs to produce, I think going over $300 is going to be unattractive to a lot of buyers. We've had one major backfire this generation ($599 PS3), one massive hit at an aggressive price ($249 Wii), and now Sony is very aggressively pricing the Vita and the 3DS is looking a bit overpriced. Just seems like the demand may not be there in the $300-$400 range.

Top Bottom