• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them. Another very important point that we need to consider is how we will incorporate smart devices into Nintendo platforms, which were composed solely of Nintendo hardware in the past.P

Well, it looks like it's gonna happen guys. No idea when, but Iwata has officially announced that they will be ditching the garbage ass method of device based accounts aka accounts that are tied to your account. This is a huge improvement, and a sign that things WILL change for the better. Personally this was the major bombshell announcement from the investors meeting yesterday. I wonder if this will mean crossbuy for 3DS and Wii U?

I wonder if the people that lost their 3DS/Wii U and didn't/couldn't get a police report will be able to recover their purchases.

Fandangox

They way I read it seems they are talking about their next platforms, but I can't be completely sure.

I don't know why they can't do this on Wii U now though.

This is so pathetic. "In the future" We have finally figured out something the world figured out over 8 years ago guys! And now you will probably get some form of it with the special Nintendo magic!

VariantX

Nintendo, thinking ahead to 2005.

Seriously though, why can't they do this now for the benefit of people who actually own their hardware now?

thefro

Nintendo, thinking ahead to 2005.

Seriously though, why can't they do this now for the benefit of people who actually own their hardware now?

I assume how they set up everything initially as far as the eShop and System IDs is probably cobbled together in an odd fashion.

Building a good OS isn't really one of Nintendo's core strengths.

Before anyone gets over excited, wait for this to happen first. As much as I'm pleased to hear this, will wait for the day for this to happen before celebrating.

entremet

Man, Iwata has been a disaster this generation. The fact that he greenlit the WiiU and 3DS to not have real account systems says a lot.

Lunar15

They just said it in the most roundabout, conceptually vague way possible. Way he talks about it's like they're just now pioneering this brand new field of communication.

Just come out and say "hey, we fucked up, here's accounts." Everyone would respond better to that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The sooner the better. The introduction of NNIDs is a first step, but they need to take it all the way home. And they need to retroactively link it to devices that utilize the NNID, like the 3DS and Wii U.

The current system is completely unacceptable.

I assume how they set up everything initially as far as the eShop and System IDs is probably cobbled together in an odd fashion.

Building a good OS isn't really one of Nintendo's core strengths.

Iwata said they have made big investments in somethings that are not their core strenght. He refused to say what was it, but i guess some of that went to OS development since they also want an unified architecture for all their systems.

Top Bottom