• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata tweets about the Digital Event reactions.

rawktapus

Did you watch the same Mario-driven trainwreck? I couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

As far as hype-worthy stuff, it was bad, and they really dropped the ball on animal crossing, but in terms of content I'll be able to play by the end of the year, I was totally satisfied with what I saw. A lot of it was just stuff we'd seen previously. *Shrug*

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think it suffered from bizarre focus.

For example. STAR FOX ZERO x PLATINUM should have been in the NDE.
Miyamoto talking about Shrines and their influence on the game should have been in the Treehouse.

It was still far, far, far better than Nintendoland Fireworks ending, though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Good that he saw the reactions.

The difference between 2014 and 2015 was black and white.

I mean, if you think about it, they showed a lot of games, but it was so dull.

Clearly they don't have much for WiiU, but both Starfox and Mario Tennis look meh.
No Devil's Third or Fatal Frame. Nothing new about X.

Nothing about WiiU online. Nothing about VC. Nothing about any deals or sales. Nothing about indie games. Nothing exciting about Amiibo functionality. Skylanders is neat, but it took 10 minutes!!!

It was not just what they presented, but how they presented it. It was dull.

Horizon, Dreams, and a host of others are 2015/2016.

And why do people draw in other consoles/companies? This is some fanboy level shit.

It wasn't even meant to be a knock on Sony, calm your shit. The biggest reveals of Sony's presser are a game that is just starting to exist (FF7R) and a game that DOESN'T exist (Shenmue 3). Nintendo could take a page out and show a CGI Metroid Prime trailer for a 2017 game and it would be the same thing, but their image would be saved. Doesn't even matter if the game is in production yet

You better bring it in 2016 Iwata

NX to launch with Metroid, Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Battallion Wars, Fatal Frame, Pokemon, Earthbound, Bayonetta 3, Vanquish 2, Metal Gear Rising 2, Half Life 3, free online with dedicated servers, proper account system, every NX comes with a free Oculus Rift, Prey 2, all within the first year.

ffdgh

Every Nintendo fan on Sunday..
simpsons-party.jpg

They sure didn't harbor dat goodwill

Really should have saved the smash goodness for E3 in hindsight lol.

NX to launch with Metroid, Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Battallion Wars, Fatal Frame, Pokemon, Earthbound, Bayonetta 3, Vanquish 2, Metal Gear Rising 2, Half Life 3, free online with dedicated servers, proper account system, every NX comes with a free Oculus Rift, Prey 2, all within the first year.

The shattered expectations that wouod come from this...XD

Oregano

I guess I didn't hate it as much as everyone else here but it was a bit devoid of announcements. I love the look of Star Fox 0 and LOZ: Triforce Heroes though and I was happy to get dates for Xenoblade X and FE Fates.

Most of all I'm just angry/sad that both Nintendo and SE are neglecting the DQ game
and FF Explorers

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think the biggest reason for the criticism is that most of the "big" titles have been shown in Nintendo directs before, such as the Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, and the FE games. Nintendo didn't have any big bombs to drop because they were announced earlier. There is less hype in one day but more spread across the year. I think I prefer it this way, but if they find a way to make E3 even more hype without sacrificing the directs' hype, I'm all for it.

Zelda U will likely be shown in a direct before next E3, and people will likely say that E3 wasn't hype.

What they should do is use E3 for more big picture stuff, like Sony. Start hyping more games that are 1-2 years away, then use the regular Directs for more imminent titles. They shouldn't be spending half of their presentation talking about games that are already out (Xenoblade X in Japan) or just about to (Yoshi in Europe).

Reallink

I'm not sure if this Digital Event speaks to them transitioning away from a dead Wii U and aging 3DS or if it's a much larger paradigm shift toward cutting back the large scale games in general (even more than they already have been) and shifting almost exclusively to these cheaper, smaller, side-story experiences that are more in line with a shift to mobile-like projects. In other words, I have serious concerns there's this big NX Renaissance coming, and the eventual NX content may very well be the same types of games we saw in this event.

Mortemis

Banned
Will nintendo most likely have a conference instead of a direct next e3? I can't imagine them announcing all new hardware (not revisions like n3ds) through a direct.

I know this is an unpopular opinion....

But I don't think it was as much of a disaster as everyone is saying.

There's some awesome games coming out in the next 6-9 months for Wii U and 3DS.

All this while obviously prepping 2 new platforms.

They could have blown everyone's minds and announced stuff that will be out for NX in 2017 or whatever, but stuck to what is realistically being released soon. It's not like NX is not getting Zelda, Mario, etc. how much better would the conference really have been if they said "new metroid in 3 years" and showed a logo and nothing else?

Just saying... It wasn't an amazing conference but it wasn't terrible imo.

I kind of feel the same, I actually liked more than last year. Then again, i didn't expect news jiust confirmation of known stuff.

Van Owen

Banned
They'll be much better off when you can play all their games on either a portable or home console. As a Wii U owner, there's just nothing to play on the thing.

The lack of any significant internal developer presence indicates all hands on deck for the NX.

People keep saying this, but the Wii went its last 2 years on fumes, and the Wii U's first year was still weak. Nintendo's been saying for 20 years that they'll address the gaps in their release schedule, particularly at launch, and they've failed to do so.

Why would the NX be any different? And now they have mobile to cover.

Wasp

It really was dire.

I've no idea what they were thinking when they decided not to show Zelda U. My only guess is that they didn't show Zelda not because they didn't want to but because they couldn't - because the game is still hugely unfinished and not fit to show.

Sandfox

I wouldnt expect a big home console metroid game even on their next platform tho, you would be setting yourself for disappointment

Its possible that Retro is working on it lol.

It really was dire.

I've no idea what they were thinking when they decided not to show Zelda U. My only guess is that they didn't show Zelda not because they didn't want to but because they couldn't - because the game is still hugely unfinished and not fit to show.

Zelda is probably going to undergo the Twilight Princess treatment.

Scrawnton

Poor Iwata. In truth, I don't think that any game they showed would have turned around the Wii U, and I don't blame them at all for moving the majority of their development resources to the NX.
It's not about turning around the Wii U. It's about not making their fans feel shat upon and that's exactly what I felt. We were all hyped for an animal crossing Wii U, we got a Mario party clone. We all wanted a new metroid, we got that joke of a game. All Nintendo had to do was cater to their die hard fans and ride out the Wii U, they chose to remix their franchise and crap out some quick and completely unappealing games that goes against EVERYTHING we wanted.

Nintendo had to create good will going into NX. They did the exact opposite of that. They showed that they don't give a crap about their core fans. By doing this, they played with the success of NX.

jts

...hate me...
It feels like Nintendo has been a constant state of "please understand" and "we'll do better" mode for the last 3-4 years.

I don't think it was like that at all last year.

But yeah, it's hard to tide over a D.O.A. console for 4 years.

It's a bit surreal when you realize they would have garnered a lot of good will if they had delayed the Earthbound announcement by two days and put it in the event.

Alienous

They knew exactly how terrible it would be.

You can't not show The Legend of Zelda on Wii U after having given a gameplay demo and expect to get away with a good showing if you don't have a major ace up your sleeve.

ChaosXVI

I think I would have liked the Digital Event more if Metroid Prime Federation Force hadn't been announced...or existed. Sure it could still be good, but God damn it looks like complete ass...

Seriously though, I was so infuriated at that announcement that it pretty much soured me on the rest of the show.

It's not the worst Direct, but it's closer in ranking to the worst Direct than the best Direct. It's definitely better than 2003, 2008, and 2012.

Good:

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
Star Fox Zero
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Bad:

Rhythm Heaven not mentioned
Punch-Out!! not even close to getting a sequel
Metroid Prime game looks really bad visually

offshore

It's obvious they're putting everything in to NX and it shows, so the argument about Nintendo being in transition carries a some weight.

But at the same time, Sony and Microsoft have been in "transition" years as well, and both of them have never, ever, ever had a conference as dreadful as Nintendo's was today. Nintendo had nothing.

People keep saying this, but the Wii went its last 2 years on fumes, and the Wii U's first year was still weak. Nintendo's been saying for 20 years that they'll address the gaps in their release schedule, particularly at launch, and they've failed to do so.

Why would the NX be any different? And now they have mobile to cover.

Well, it's almost certainly what they're trying to do internally. Succeeding at it is another matter.

Top Bottom