• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Wii cannot be defined as healthy" -in Japan-

TunaLover

Nintendo top honcho Satoru Iwata has said that Wii's situation in Japan "cannot be defined as healthy". It's probably not as bad as it sounds, they have sold ba-zillions after all.

"As you probably know, the current situation of Wii cannot be defined as healthy," he said, detailing this year's decline in Wii sales in Japan to well below the 50k unit sales mark per week.

A spike to almost 100k sales one week in the summer failed to last, and despite a price cut in September, Iwata says: "The price cut seems to have the least impact here than other parts of the world."

He adds: "It is our urgent mission to recover the momentum of Wii during the holidays utilising Nintendo's strength."

DS is propping up Nintendo's bank balance though, as Iwata says the portable continues to do well, thanks to Dragon Quest and Pokémon games.

"The total Japanese market size is less than one sixth of that of the US, and about one fourth of the four major European countries. There exists major differences in market size today," said Iwata.

"When we compare the unit hardware sales, Japanese sales are about two-sevenths of the US, and more than half of the four major European countries. It can be said that Japan today is the challenging market for home console software to sell," he added.

Iwata goes on to reason the Wii's software sales decline. "Since the software we launched at the end of 2008 did not go on to sell for an extended period of time, and we were not able to launch very strong titles in the first half of this year, we have seen a significant drop in software sales this year. As a result Wii Software unit sales share is just below 50 percent of the entire home console software market so far in 2009."

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is out here on November 20. That should sort things out.
Mike Jackson

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226584
http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226568

Aeris130

inb4DS

A shame that Nintendo aren't big enough to sustain two leading platforms with AAA software ala 2008 at the same time.

TunaLover

I don't see this thread in a negative light, in fact its pretty acertive on Iwata part see the problems of the system in Japan, and try to get the things on the rail again.

He is more worried about the home console industry as whole, in Japan, it has been discused to the death on media create threads, yes, but interesting to note that Iwata felt this particular issue too.

gerg

Fularu said:
When the wii is not healthy, it sells as many software than PS2-PS3-360 combined.

Yep, not healthy :p

Better than bad is still rubbish.

Anyway, I think GAF should invest in some more funding so it can produce more original content. These Media Create repeats are certainly getting annoying - I've seen this episode more times than I can count now!

TunaLover said:
I don't see this thread in a negative light, in fact its pretty acertive on Iwata part see the problems of the system in Japan, and try to get the things on the rail again.

He is more worried about the home console industry, of course he refer to Wii, because well, he is the Nintendo president.

The problem should only be with those who frequent the Media Create threads, for they will have had the misfortune of debating this exact topic several
hundred
times now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is great news, actually. Glad to see Nintendo recognizes what could be an issue and am interested in seeing how they plan on rectifying the problem.

Xelinis

All this gloom and despair is getting ridiculous; the Wii is the most owned home console in the country. Nearly all the people who have planned to own the Wii already own it, and that is a huge chunk of the market.

Casual gamers, check. Hardcore gamers, some are disappointed, but check. Iwata needs to stop panicking about slowing console sales and stop trying to sell more by adding new toys to it. Iwata, start amping up game production!

Release this now and the wii will be saved :

kirby-adventure-wii-screenshot-big.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii games over 100k in 2009:
New Play Control! Mario Tennis GC 191,342
New Play Control! Pikmin 2 Wii 107,460
Monster Hunter G 224,701
Wii Sports Resort 1,265,802
Monster Hunter 3 924,971
Wii Fit Plus 571,262

PS3 games over 100k in 2009:
Demon's Souls 134,585
Street Fighter IV 139,626
Yakuza 3 489,739
Resident Evil 5 472,261
Musou Orochi Z 216,363
Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires 127,739
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 116,084
Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles 210,092
Tales of Vesperia 307,130

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there's more in that second list to push hardware to the Japanese people. It's not just that Nintendo hasn't released an earth-shattering title this year, it's that when they were riding high they didn't really capitalize in creating a great software ecosystem. I'll avoid saying the kind of tactics I think they should have used to secure 3rd party games, but sufficed to say that current the Wii has lost some of its momentum, as Iwata identifies, and I think consistent software in all genres and catering to all demographics is the way to get it back.

Cygnus X-1

Well, there is not much more to add. Iwata's analysis is simple, but perfect.

Now the most important thing for him is to make sure that more games will come out in a more regularly way.

Well, at least he's not overly optimistic like Sony has been this past generation. He knows they can't just screw around, at the very least.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
Monster Hunter G 224,701
Monster Hunter 3 924,971
Wii Fit Plus 571,262

Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. For a bit of perspective, Wii will probably more 100K plus sellers in November/December than it did the first 10 months of the year...not to mention 3 of those 6 titles from the first 10 months being last gen ports.

batbeg

Seriously Project HAMMER guy, there's about a billion odd things about your post, but first and foremost, do you really think that would've boosted the Wii to a healthy position in Japan?

Stumpokapow said:
Monster Hunter G 224,701
Monster Hunter 3 924,971
Wii Fit Plus 571,262

Demon's Souls 134,585
Yakuza 3 489,739
Resident Evil 5 472,261
Musou Orochi Z 216,363
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope 208,438

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there's more in that second list to push hardware to the Japanese people. It's not just that Nintendo hasn't released an earth-shattering title this year, it's that when they were riding high they didn't really capitalize in creating a great software ecosystem. I'll avoid saying the kind of tactics I think they should have used to secure 3rd party games, but sufficed to say that current the Wii has lost some of its momentum, as Iwata identifies, and I think consistent software in all genres and catering to all demographics is the way to get it back.

Mighty wordy way of saying "SECRET NINTENDO MATSUNO RPG CONFIRMEDD!!!", no?

gerg

Stumpokapow said:

I don't think that catering to all demographics is the only way to get momentum back (nor perhaps the most cost effective way of doing so, especially in the short term). I think that what's important is simply consistent software releases targeted towards any demographic, no matter how wide or narrow that audience may be.

But third-party software is mighty useful when your strategy of choice fails.

Wehrwolf

Stumpokapow said:
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope 208,438

Not sure where you got those numbers, but a bit odd since Star Ocean 4 is still only out on 360, PS3 'International' version comes out next year.

Sadist

Stumpokapow said:
Monster Hunter G 224,701
Monster Hunter 3 924,971
Wii Fit Plus 571,262
That's just damn depressing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wehrwolf said:
Not sure where you got those numbers, but a bit odd since Star Ocean 4 is still only out on 360, PS3 'International' version comes out next year.

Originally the list was PS360 but I removed the 360 to simplify the comparison and just forgot SO4. My numbers are Famitsu otherwise though.

schuelma

Sadist said:
That's just damn depressing.

Its unreal, really. Like I said, Nov/Dec are worlds better. Of course, if there is nothing in early 2010 (RE:DC is the only notable game dated), then this holiday probably doesn't matter.

schuelma said:
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. For a bit of perspective, Wii will probably more 100K plus sellers in November/December than it did the first 10 months of the year...not to mention 3 of those 6 titles from the first 10 months being last gen ports.

Let's see...

-- Samurai Warriors 3 (major series decline, but should still be good for 100k+)
-- Tales of Graces
-- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
-- Taiko 2

...and? But, yeah, Wii is going to have a pretty damn good holiday season in Japan (compared to the previous year or two) and with the price drop and bundles it's the best hope for the system to see a resurgence. If Nintendo fail to capitalise on it though...

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
Let's see...

-- Samurai Warriors 3 (major series decline, but should still be good for 100k+)
-- Tales of Graces
-- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
-- Taiko 2

Mario and Sonic

Crystal Bearers (I think its going to disappoint, but it should at least reach 100K)

Pikachu's Adventure

Plus something like the Joysound game on 11/26 could conceivably do it as well.

Stumpokapow said:
Demon's Souls 134,585
Yakuza 3 489,739
Resident Evil 5 472,261
Musou Orochi Z 216,363

you can add Uncharted 2, Bayonetta and Winning Eleven 2009 in a couple of weeks