• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata's approval up 3%, Miyamoto's down 6%, everyone else slightly to fairly down

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo's investors are taking the long view. There's nothing a new president could do right now to change Nintendo's outlook. Their long term plan isn't awful anyways.

Yes, in general Iwata has promised significant change and has made a few moves in that direction.

This vote would seem to signify that the current investor pool is willing to give them another chance (presumably culminating in the launch of their next hardware), but the ratings are low enough that they're signaling their patience is not infinite, since generally these meetings are a nigh-complete rubber stamp when investors are happy.

random25

I think it is really good that Iwata still holds a good amount of approval for investors. The positive vibes on MK8 and some good press after E3 may really have helped his cause. At least it will not be a distraction for the plans he laid out that will take off several years from now.

I don't worry much about all the others going down, especially Miyamoto. It is still high anyway, unlike Iwata's current approval rating.

AdanVC

Hell yeah, my man Iwata going up. But seriously, after an awesome presentation at E3, Nintendo gave the first step into the right direction to turn things around for Wii U and it just will get better from here. Now he just needs to recover from his surgery! Hope he is feeling better now :)

sant

Shareholders elect a public company's board of directors, who officially represent their interests.

The board then chooses positions like the CEO, who run the company on a day to day basis.

The CEO of a company however is also often on the board of directors.

Since these people represent investors, the government has some regulation over the process in order to protect investors, like mandating that a board exists and that they get elected annually.

Oh I see, didn't realize it was a board election

Dryk

Surprised Miyamoto's rating isn't down farther given his output/statements lately. Iwata has been making the best of the Wii U situation, well deserved.
They're investors so I doubt they care, but Miyamoto's statements about not utilising their IP if they can't do anything groundbreaking with it should have worried them.

Cheerilee

I'm not surprised that Miyamoto and Takeda's ratings are down. Nintendo is in a much worse position now than what they were able to admit at the last meeting. But the heat from January has died down.

A good E3 should logically have reflected more positively on Miyamoto than anyone else, because Nintendo had games where Sony and MS didn't. But that doesn't seem apparent. I suspect that what got traction though was that "Nintendo won".

So why did Iwata's approval go up? The QOL plans? Maybe, but I didn't think Nintendo has provided enough details on what their plan is or why it's going to work.

I think it's naive to assume that sympathy vote doesn't have an effect. If Iwata was at the meeting in person, healthy and whole, they might have been more likely to tear a piece out of him than if they're told he's in the hospital. If they said he might quit for health reasons, the same people calling for his head might be begging him to stay on. It's an emotional factor.

Riki

I'm not surprised that Miyamoto and Takeda's ratings are down. Nintendo is in a much worse position now than what they were able to admit at the last meeting. But the heat from January has died down.

A good E3 should logically have reflected more positively on Miyamoto than anyone else, because Nintendo had games where Sony and MS didn't. But that doesn't seem apparent. I suspect that what got traction though was that "Nintendo won".

So why did Iwata's approval go up? The QOL plans? Maybe, but I didn't think Nintendo has provided enough details on what their plan is or why it's going to work.

I think it's naive to assume that sympathy vote doesn't have an effect. If Iwata was at the meeting in person, healthy and whole, they might have been more likely to tear a piece out of him than if they're told he's in the hospital. If they said he might quit for health reasons, the same people calling for his head might be begging him to stay on. It's an emotional factor.
You realize the investors are voting based on more information than just E3, right?
Implying that the people that want to make money are giving sympathy votes to the person in charge of a company is extremely distastful, particularly in this situation.

But what does the Ministry of Magic think?

Bravo.

Glad Iwata's rating went up, if only for the fact that people can stop with the "Iwata's rating has been tumbling for years" thing. The investors are playing it safe and looking towards the long term, as any good investors (who don't want a quick profit and a collapsed company) would.

Damn, I feel bad for Miyamoto. I know plenty won't due to some of his recent design input and decisions, but the man has brought us too much to be discharged from the company in disgrace.

Terrell

Breaking News: Crows to go on the endangered species list after a drastic uptick in human consumption. More at 11.

Damn, I feel bad for Miyamoto. I know plenty won't due to some of his recent design input and decisions, but the man has brought us too much to be discharged from the company in disgrace.

Hasn't Miyamoto's approval rating had the most movement (up and down) of any member of the board from the time he was appointed to it until Iwata's approval falling sharp last year?
Investors DO have a long history of not appreciating creatives on corporate boards.

StormKing

Or they could also have seen him as incapable of continuing to lead Nintendo due to his health.

Investor care more about profit than they do about Iwata.

I don't think sympathy had to do much with it.

Josh7289

Good stuff. We're back in business. I have confidence in their approach and in their sincerity in making it work.

EDIT: I said "we're" but I'm not really a part of Nintendo. Just a longtime fan, so I do feel some sort of affinity for the company.

Lunar15

Weird, wonder what brought Miyamoto's down? Was it all that weird talk of him stepping down that threw everyone off?

Onesimos

Did not expect Mr. Miyamoto's approval rating to go down 6%, nor did I expect Mr. Iwata's approval to go up 3%.

Hasn't Miyamoto's approval rating had the most movement (up and down) of any member of the board from the time he was appointed to it until Iwata's approval falling sharp last year? Investors DO have a long history of not appreciating creatives on corporate boards.

This is my first time looking the yearly approval rating numbers. I honestly expected Iwata to be in trouble, but just based on the whispering about him around here. These numbers are somewhat surprising for me, but they make sense.

random25

Uh...Miyamoto's approval rating has been up and down but has always remained high so I don't see the problem with him.

Symphaty for Iwata may have played a part for some, but not a majority. If that was the case then it should have reached more than 85%. Investors care more about their money than one man's health. If anything, Iwata's health could have cost him votes since there will be investors who will think he's physically not capable of handling the job of top honcho at Nintendo.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo's too insular for my taste. The more time pass, the more I see Nintendo consoles as awkward. I'm still playing with handhelds that only use one control stick.

I want a company that's more like Sony/MS in regards to keeping up with the times. I hope shareholders see this vision one day.

Wouldn't health issues decrease Iwata's ratings? It seems like investors have faith in Iwata's long term plans more than anything.

岩田 聡 772,384 218,960 2,164 77.26 可決
Satoru Iwata
Approve: 772,384
Oppose: 218,960
Approval Rating: 77.26%

This year:

岩田 聡 777,999 169,240 3,549 80.64 可決
Satoru Iwata
Approve: 777,999
Oppose: 169,240

Approval Rating: 80.64%

Looks like people who didn't approve of Iwata sold their stock/shares, hence the increase in approval.

Armaros

Nintendo's too insular for my taste. The more time pass, the more I see Nintendo consoles as awkward. I'm still playing with handhelds that only use one control stick.

I want a company that's more like Sony/MS in regards to keeping up with the times. I hope shareholders see this vision one day.

Yes we need all video game console companies to be exactly the same.

ec0ec0

QOL promises are saving iwata. Investors dont know what QOL is, that helps iwata. We will see... if QOL doesnt print money...

Sami+

Hopefully he uses his extra time well.

Adapting to the market and adopting what has been proven popular is better than difference for the sake of difference.

StormKing

Sony had a market cap value of 100 billion in 2000. Now they have 17.5 billion.

Microsoft has largely been stagnant while companies like google, facebook, samsung, amazon and apple surged ahead. They also recently fired their CEO.

I'm not too sure Nintendo's shareholders want Nintendo to become a company like Sony or Microsoft. They want Nintendo to be more like Samsung, Google or Apple.

Nah Id rather just buy and play sony/ms stuff aswell not that difficult.

Armaros

Hopefully he uses his extra time well.

Adapting to the market and adopting what has been proven popular is better than difference for the sake of difference.

Also abandoning your strengths as a company in order to compete against competitors with more money or more infrastructure is also a fast way to spend alot of money and getting nowhere fast.

JordanN

Banned
Do you think Mario would be a worse game if it had 2 analog sticks? Or if a console launched and had third party support not just at launch but for its whole life?

There's no danger in wanting your console to not be 10 years behind the competition.

atr0cious

Do you think Mario would be a worse game if it had 2 joysticks? Or if a console launched and had third party support not just at launch but for it's whole life?

There's no danger in wanting your console to not be 10 years behind the competition.

I like having the whole game on release date, no day one patches, no microtransactions in a retail game, and not having to worry that the company will drop half the reason to own the system at the first sign of trouble, but every one has their own tastes. Also not paying to play MK8 online is pretty great, so I'll stay back here in the 90's if that's what it takes.

Also playable female characters.

Terrell

Looks like people who didn't approve of Iwata sold their stock/shares, hence the increase in approval.

Aquamarine, care to confirm/deny this for us? You seem the most apt to confirm it and I'd rather it be substantiated or debunked BEFORE it becomes a talking point.

And yet, some standard video game features that we have now are borne due to Nintendo (or some other company) going out of their way to be different.

TreIII

Yes, investors with money on the line are going to vote Iwata in for another year at the helm because they feel bad for him. lmfao

Pretty much.

I mean, these were the same shareholders who were wondering why they weren't getting free gifts and the like. You really think they give two shits about how Iwata feels?

I like having the whole game on release date, no day one patches, microtransactions, and not having to worry that the company will drop half the reason to own the system at the first sign of trouble, but every one has their own tastes. Also not paying to play MK8 online is pretty great, so I'll stay back here in the 90's if that's what it takes.

Erm, I like Nintendo, but some of this things are not only happening on MS/Sony. Pokemon had to be patched on the first week because of a save-breaking bug. Games like Steel Diver and Rusty Baseball (can't remember the full name) have microtransactions. Having the whole game on release date is debatable, since some games from Nintendo lately are coming barebones (especially those that are sport related - Mario Tennis on the 3DS comes to mind).

So yeah, it may not happen a lot, but it does happen on Nintendo's side too.

All the speculation???

29a.gif

Terrell

Erm, I like Nintendo, but some of this things are not only happening on MS/Sony. Pokemon had to be patched on the first week because of a save-breaking bug. Games like Steel Diver and Rusty Baseball (can't remember the full name) have microtransactions. Having the whole game on release date is debatable, since some games from Nintendo lately are coming barebones (especially those that are sport related - Mario Tennis on the 3DS comes to mind).

I'd relax on picking at the finer points of that discussion, it's a war of over-generalizations on both sides.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Yeah, fans should not romanticize Nintendo in this regard. However I think it is fair to point out that Nintendo has - so far - displayed a positive trait here: they act like they're very aware people hate that stuff and see it as a negative trend. So they're going out of their way to do it all in a non-annoying, non-shady manner. For the most part they've stayed true to that.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo's plan to increase profits thru diversification and leveraging their IPs is a smart direction. The two major questions are how quickly they do so and what form their next hardware takes.

atr0cious

There's a difference between an actual bug patch, and buying a game on day one only to find you have to download another couple gigs because they weren't finished making the game yet. Also Steel Diver and Rusty are F2P and half of EA's catalog is retail games with microtransactions to help that horrible problem that they themselves caused.

Forza released at retail with half the game needing to be downloaded, and there was even a recent thread asking which games don't have huge fucking patches. There is a slight difference between adding pro controller support and adding the ending to the fucking game.

Games like Steel Diver and Rusty Baseball (can't remember the full name) have microtransactions.

Have you seen how these two games handle microtransactions? It's really great and is nowhere near the nickel-and-diming other companies do. Hell, with Rusty's Baseball, you can even lower the price in game if you want. Other companies would do well to take a page off how Nintendo is doing it.

I'd relax on picking at the finer points of that discussion, it's a war of over-generalizations on both sides.

I understand, I just thought that it should be at least mentioned.
Also I wanted to show for future proof that I'm not a fanboy, but that's just an investiment for future discussions.

Yeah, fans should not romanticize Nintendo in this regard. However I think it is fair to point out that Nintendo has - so far - displayed a positive trait here: they act like they're very aware people hate that stuff and see it as a negative trend. So they're going out of their way to do it all in a non-annoying, non-shady manner. For the most part they've stayed true to that.

I agree that they at least are trying, and I do hope they succeed.

Have you seen how these two games handle microtransactions? It's really great and is nowhere near the nickel-and-diming other companies do. Hell, with Rusty's Baseball, you can even lower the price in game if you want. Other companies would do well to take a page off how Nintendo is doing it.

I've seen it and I agree that it is a nice method, but it still exists. It may be not bad, but not all clean.

There's a difference between an actual bug patch, and buying a game on day one only to find you have to download another couple gigs because they weren't finished making the game yet. Also Steel Diver and Rusty are F2P and half of EA's catalog is retail games with microtransactions to help that horrible problem that they themselves caused.

Forza released at retail with half the game needing to be downloaded, and there was even a recent thread asking which games don't have huge fucking patches. There is a slight difference between adding pro controller support and adding the ending to the fucking game.

You should've posted the first post with all those examples then, otherwise people would think that you were just blindly defending the company.

Rusty's is a platform for microgames (read: not microtransactions). Steel Diver microcransactions are rater innocuous. Pokemon seemed like it was rushed though.

Top Bottom