• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata's approval up 3%, Miyamoto's down 6%, everyone else slightly to fairly down

Aquamarine, care to confirm/deny this for us? You seem the most apt to confirm it and I'd rather it be substantiated or debunked BEFORE it becomes a talking point.

There is a significantly larger decrease in opposition this year than increase in approval (49,270 vs 5615). The discrepancy is large enough to say that the Iwata opposers would have likely sold their stock than refraining to vote (or else the raw approval shares would have gone too most likely).

In other words:
If, hypothetically speaking, 5615 of the 49,270 changed their vote to approval this year (which is not a likely case, since some of the 5615 would be new voters as well), that still leaves 43,655 shares unaccounted for. And all of them wouldn't have chosen to not vote this year, since that's a rather large number, relatively speaking.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Miyamoto's ratings are down because he has been doing a mediocre job. Nintendo's stumbled greatly with their software launches, and software development schedules for quite a few years. Some of the emphasis and wacky ideas Miyamoto has green-lighted haven't prospered much either.

It's still disappointing that after so much revenue, internal R&D has grown very slowly. The only one big jump has been the network programmer increase, which was actually Iwata's priority for a few years.

Iwata's approval went up, Miyamoto's and Takeda's approval went down.

Last year, the Wii U had a rough launch and Nintendo posted some losses, but Iwata promised good times ahead.

This year, the Wii U Dreamcasted, Iwata managed to cook up a Plan B (short on details) on a cocktail napkin in January, and at the last minute they had a good E3.

I'm guessing there was some sympathy vote over Iwata's illness.

I'm not surprised that Miyamoto and Takeda's ratings are down. Nintendo is in a much worse position now than what they were able to admit at the last meeting. But the heat from January has died down.

A good E3 should logically have reflected more positively on Miyamoto than anyone else, because Nintendo had games where Sony and MS didn't. But that doesn't seem apparent. I suspect that what got traction though was that "Nintendo won".

So why did Iwata's approval go up? The QOL plans? Maybe, but I didn't think Nintendo has provided enough details on what their plan is or why it's going to work.

I think it's naive to assume that sympathy vote doesn't have an effect. If Iwata was at the meeting in person, healthy and whole, they might have been more likely to tear a piece out of him than if they're told he's in the hospital. If they said he might quit for health reasons, the same people calling for his head might be begging him to stay on. It's an emotional factor.

I agree.

If Miyamoto and Takeda took a hit in their respective ratings, makes little sense for Iwata's rating to go up if it's not sympathy. Nintendo had a loss for a third year in a row, 3DS sales were shrinking, Wii U perfomance was awful, there's little info about QOL and even was only discussed on the inside, does not guarantee shareholder profits, Mario Kart 8 boost hardware sales, but yet, Wii U is plagued with droughts and lack of third-party support, so the sudden faith in Iwata is a bit strange.

Yes, Cheerilee does have a point.

I agree.

If Miyamoto and Takeda took a hit in their respective ratings, makes little sense for Iwata's rating to go up if it's not sympathy. Nintendo had a loss for a third year in a row, 3DS sales were shrinking, Wii U perfomance was awful, there's little info about QOL and even was only discussed on the inside, does not guarantee shareholder profits, Mario Kart 8 boost hardware sales, but yet, Wii U is plagued with droughts and lack of third-party support, so the sudden faith in Iwata is a bit strange.

Yes, Cheerilee does have a point.

Maybe it's less "iwata is doing a better job" and more "oh shoot i think I've been unfairly blaming iwata for other board members' mistakes"

Maybe it's less "iwata is doing a better job" and more "oh shoot i think I've been unfairly blaming iwata for other board members' mistakes"

Other possible scenario:
-Some of the Iwata doubters already sold stock, hence his increase in approval share.
-But some of the remaining Iwata doubters with stock are also lacking faith in Takeda, Miyamoto and Kimishima as well now.

I don't think large institutional investors are going to cut someone a break for the entire year just because they're hospitalized for a fraction of that time, but what do I know?

DSix

Banned
Well, I stand corrected.
In my fantasy world I thought Iwata was on his last leg, but if the approval is actually going up it means the investors are interested in his longer term vision (thus unlikely to fire him next year either).

I'm definitely not mad that I'm wrong, the wiiu lineup is the best of all 3 consoles in my eyes. Meaning that Iwata does at least one thing right.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is hardly surprising as Iwata is singing another tune instead of the "please understand" motto.

FY15:

1. Established a new business group seeking to diversify Nintendo's revenue stream
2. Further emphasis towards Character IP licensing
3. Amiibo platform (crucial to Nintendo's effort in reaching their targeted Operating Income)
4. QOL initiative
5. Cross-promotional efforts (Mario Golf - Callaway, Mario Kart 8 - GLA Mercedes Benz)

It's an exciting time to be a Nintendo shareholder.

FZZ

Banned
Aquamarine, care to confirm/deny this for us? You seem the most apt to confirm it and I'd rather it be substantiated or debunked BEFORE it becomes a talking point.

Aquamarine was making statements that made it sound like Iwata's approval rating was definitely going to go down. Look at the previous thread and you would've seen people already talking like his approval rating was already in 50-60% range. I don't think she would be the best to comment on something like this. You would need somebody who was at the investor meeting in person.

Aquamarine was making statements that made it sound like Iwata's approval rating was definitely going to go down. Look at the previous thread and you would've seen people already talking like his approval rating was already in 50-60% range. I don't think she would be the best to comment on something like this. You would need somebody who was at the investor meeting in person.

Or... you know you can just... look at the numbers? o_O

Not that hard. Waaaaay less opposition, only a little smidgen more for approval. Where is the discrepancy moved? Probably in the "Sold Shares" category.

Tomohawk

Miyamoto's ratings are down because he has been doing a mediocre job. Nintendo's stumbled greatly with their software launches, and software development schedules for quite a few years. Some of the emphasis and wacky ideas Miyamoto has green-lighted haven't prospered much either.

It's still disappointing that after so much revenue, internal R&D has grown very slowly. The only one big jump has been the network programmer increase, which was actually Iwata's priority for a few years.

Also his inability to produce compelling software that justifies the gamepads existence, probably hurt him as well.

Nintendo's certainly going to sell more games this year than last year, but I can't see them having a positive outlook on hardware sales, and they refused to show anything that would revitalize hardware sales except Mario Kart 8 (Which has effectively been statistical noise and further hammered home the 'Dead Wii U' story).

Not enough of a change for most of them to really say anything concrete other than maybe there's more spreading of blame for the problems this year than previous ones.

Honestly, if the new Star Fox is an episodic game where you drop Project Giant Robots from a helicopter, then I'd rather it stay dead.

Ah, that sounds amazing.

mantidor

People are joking about Iwata getting a boost out of pity, right? right!?

fucking LOL. Investors... having pity... just read what you just typed, please.

Kusagari

Face facts people, Iwata is not being replaced unless Nintendo completely falls off the cliff.

Something like Amibo, QoL and the 3DS successor all flopping like Wii U.

FZZ

Banned
Or... you know you can just... look at the numbers? o_O

Not that hard. Waaaaay less opposition, only a little smidgen more for approval. Where is the discrepancy moved? Probably in the "Sold Shares" category.

Its hard to tell because the other board members had a huge drop in approval, when looking at the past few years they were relatively the same.

Unless I'm completely wrong in which case just ignore what I said.

Elija2

I like having the whole game on release date, no day one patches, no microtransactions in a retail game, and not having to worry that the company will drop half the reason to own the system at the first sign of trouble, but every one has their own tastes. Also not paying to play MK8 online is pretty great, so I'll stay back here in the 90's if that's what it takes.

Also playable female characters.

Nintendo can do all of those things and have competent account systems, online infrastructure, third-party support, and console OS'.

In fact, there are Nintendo games with day-one patches, microtransactions, and that are rushed. I guess Nintendo aren't far back in the 90's enough.

Nintendo's rushed games are more robust and mechanically sound than most others. Smash Melee was technically a rushed game. Pokemon's patch was not day one, and there were workarounds to the issue.

What? If only I kept up with that thread.

Armaros

Nintendo can do all of those things and have competent account systems, online infrastructure, third-party support, and console OS'.

In fact, there are Nintendo games with day-one patches, microtransactions, and that are rushed. I guess Nintendo aren't far back in the 90's enough.

Yes the massive false equivalence with what Sony and MS have on their systems.

Come back when Nintendo has anything near the launch catastrophe that was BF4 on their systems.

Kusagari

Its hard to tell because the other board members had a huge drop in approval, when looking at the past few years they were relatively the same.

Unless I'm completely wrong in which case just ignore what I said.

I imagine a lot of the people completely against Iwata sold shares and those remaining came to the, correct, realization that it's stupid to put the blame solely on Iwata.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Miyamoto and Takeda fell the hardest. This vote, more than anything, seems like a rebuke on what EAD has done so far with the Wii U.

RagnarokX

During the meeting one investor actually said he was upset that Iwata was trying to take on too much of the blame himself. Makes sense they spread the blame around.

Elija2

Yes the massive false equivalence with what Sony and MS have on their systems.

Come back when Nintendo has anything near the launch catastrophe that was BF4 on their systems.

BF4 was not published by Microsoft or Sony, why should they be blamed for it?

Griss

Doesn't surprise me about Miyamoto at all. I have no doubt that the man can still design a good game, but...

1) His demos looked super rough, and at this stage will only reach the market at the end of the Wii U's life cycle. That's just a waste.

2) He is absolutely committed to making games for a demographic that is diminishing hugely. Which is the family who all sits in the one living room around one TV. The nuclear family with mom, pop and two kids is getting rarer and rarer, and everyone has their own screens these days anyway. Miyamoto is still focused on making games that 'are also fun for the person watching'. That just doesn't happen any more, not on the scale he thinks it does.
Secondly, he would love the idea of a dad playing Nintendoland with his daughter when he gets home from work. What he might not get is that for a lot of parents that such gametime might be impossible due to the lack of online features, because people move around, work abroad, and separate these days. For the father-daughter thing substitute any family or friends at all.

I don't know, I feel like Miyamoto is out of touch. I just hope that the young guys he taught picked up a bit of his gift of game design and eye for detail.

No, I was talking in hypotheticals and "What if?" scenarios. I already deleted that one post about the possibility of a linear decline because some guy deemed it "too much of a layman" analysis. I talked about the "pro-Iwata" and "anti-Iwata" camps. That's still true today...Mr Iwata's 80% is definitely lower than his 96% from a few years ago. I have also made statements that I believed Mr. Iwata was definitely safe for the upcoming year.

But I also thought the well-reasoned arguments that Mr. Iwata's rating would stay the same / increase were definitely possibilities. Sorry if I didn't communicate that throughout the thread.

From a first glance it does look like some who were opposed to Iwata decided to sell off their shares. I need to do some research before coming to any conclusions, though.

Doesn't surprise me about Miyamoto at all. I have no doubt that the man can still design a good game, but...

1) His demos looked super rough, and at this stage will only reach the market at the end of the Wii U's life cycle. That's just a waste.

2) He is absolutely committed to making games for a demographic that is diminishing hugely. Which is the family who all sits in the one living room around one TV. The nuclear family with mom, pop and two kids is getting rarer and rarer, and everyone has their own screens these days anyway. Miyamoto is still focused on making games that 'are also fun for the person watching'. That just doesn't happen any more, not on the scale he thinks it does.
Secondly, he would love the idea of a dad playing Nintendoland with his daughter when he gets home from work. What he might not get is that for a lot of parents that such gametime might be impossible due to the lack of online features, because people move around, work abroad, and separate these days. For the father-daughter thing substitute any family or friends at all.

I don't know, I feel like Miyamoto is out of touch. I just hope that the young guys he taught picked up a bit of his gift of game design and eye for detail.

Agreed on both counts. The problem with #1 is that the time for demos was in 2011. That's when you show a rough proof of concept for the GamePad. In 2014, it's time for games.

And regarding #2, lacking online play in Nintendo Land was such a vintage Miyamoto oversight. People seem to enjoy its multiplayer modes, but it's not immediately appealing to grandma like Wii Sports. If only there was a way to connect with like-minded gamers and play multiplayer....

I would guess three factors:

1.) Some upset investors sold off and left.
2.) Some investors think Iwata is making a more serious effort now
3.) More investors are spreading around the blame instead of pinning it all on Iwata
There's also shareholder-friendly activities such as dividends despite losses, and the share buyback shoring up the price, that probably helped stem negative sentiment in those that have retained their holdings.

Jomjom

Banned
I wonder if he got any sympathy votes for his illness. It would suck to vote someone out when they just went through major surgery.

FZZ

Banned
No, I was talking in hypotheticals and "What if?" scenarios. I already deleted that one post about the possibility of a linear decline because some guy deemed it "too much of a layman" analysis. I talked about the "pro-Iwata" and "anti-Iwata" camps. That's still true today...Mr Iwata's 80% is definitely lower than his 96% from a few years ago. I have also made statements that I believed Mr. Iwata was definitely safe for the upcoming year.

But I also thought the well-reasoned arguments that Mr. Iwata's rating would stay the same / increase were definitely possibilities. Sorry if I didn't communicate that throughout the thread.

From a first glance it does look like some who were opposed to Iwata decided to sell off their shares. I need to do some research before coming to any conclusions, though.

That is my fault then. I must've been also looking at other posters because as I was reading through the thread the common sentiment seemed to be Iwata would either resign the following fiscal year or get removed during next year's vote.

That is my fault then. I must've been also looking at other posters because as I was reading through the thread the common sentiment seemed to be Iwata would either resign the following fiscal year or get removed during next year's vote.
Nonsense. There's sentiment critical of Iwata's actions and inactions, that doesn't translate into "common sentiment that he will resign or get removed during next year's vote."

OuterLimits

Miyamoto did drop 6% but his approval is still 86%, so I'm not really seeing that it's a big deal unless it continues to drop significantly in the next few years. I doubt it will.

So what happened to those other 50,000 opposed votes from last year???

Same question here. I would love to know the reason for who was opposed to him last year for changing their minds now when Nintendo is in the red and there's no consistent prospects in the future to reverse the situation.

I don't get the "placing the blame at the right directors" justification here. Every year there's a shareholder meeting, they know each director's role and their responsabilites. Why only now they would realize Miyamoto and Takeda blame? This would be naive, as Nintendo has been losing money for some years now. This doesn't isent Iwata of blame as he made many mistakes in his decisions which drove Nintendo to it's current situation.

213372bu

Banned
Good for them.

It seems like the prospect of these new titles and projects are starting to pay off.

I hope they do well with them.

As to the people who just want to start something, I think it'd be a fair assesment that the Wii U's launch year and a half was a disaster and any kind of judgement based on that was valid at the time.

Hopefully Iwata can continue on, honestly surprised Miyamoto didn't go up.

Same question here. I would love to know the reason for who was opposed to him last year for changing their minds now when Nintendo was in the red and there's no consistent prospects in the future to reverse the situation.

I don't get the "placing the blame at the right directors" justification here. Every year there's a shareholder meeting, they know each director's role and their responsabilites. Why only now they would realize Miyamoto and Takeda blame? This would be naive, as Nintendo has been losing money for some years now. This doesn't isent Iwata of blame as he made many mistakes in his decisions which drove Nintendo to it's current situation.

They did buy stock back and stock holders vote right? Those who are uninterested probably bought out which would decrease the amount of opposition.

Cheerilee

It should be noted that "Iwata's QOL plans are great" and "Wii U wasn't only Iwata's fault" don't mix. However, there is room for a perfect storm.

Voter A: QOL looks great (votes for Iwata)
Voter B: Wii U wasn't his fault (votes for Iwata)

People are joking about Iwata getting a boost out of pity, right? right!?

fucking LOL. Investors... having pity... just read what you just typed, please.
Sympathy vote is a real thing. Do people think that elections have never been important until this one?

Before these results, I wondered what effect Iwata's hospitalization was going to have on his popularity. If he's not at the meeting, are they going to eat him alive in absence? Or will it be endearing? Did it make him look weak to shareholders, or lovable? And considering that we had a major thread over here about how it made him look lovable to us...

And then there were the Q&A questions: Is Iwata working too hard, carrying the burden of the company all by himself? Shouldn't other people (stares at Miyamoto and Takeda) help out some more? Is this going to cause a disruption in Iwata Asks?

And in the end, we're speculating on how Iwata's poll number took a sudden rise, not why they aren't in the 90's.

?

I remember seeing posts that said if Iwatas approval was in the 50-60% he would resign or get kicked off the following fiscal year. I'll look back to see if I'm remembering incorrectly or not.

Well, it stemmed from people asking about the implications of <50% approval rating.

A shift in the status quo is the most interesting scenario. I guess that's the folly of discussion boards...they tend to gravitate towards discussions of the worst possible scenario.

I think it was made clear a couple of times that the WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO was Mr. Iwata getting voted out of office.

Mr. Iwata seems like he's crafted quite an intelligent and unique strategy for the company, and maintains support from level-headed institutions like JP Morgan Chase. And they're in-between corporate strategies at the moment, with QoL and the next generation of consoles unrealised.

I'm not sure why people would decide 2014 as the year to suddenly abandon support for Mr. Iwata. Wii U's failure was pretty well-established in June 2013. Besides, I believe Mr. Iwata is very in-tune with his current approval rating situation. If he thought he was in danger, he would have "assumed responsibility" by retiring in May.

I cannot remember where Ioriginally read this, but nintendo said that they chose to prioritize efficienct power consumption over raw hardware power with the wiiu, right? I'm not imagining whatever article I think I read? Is one of the deprecated board members the guy responsible for that?

Also, I would really like to know the exact breakdown in decisionmaking and such for software between miyamoto and iwata. I feel like the software has overall been even more of a problem than the hardware for wiiu. Regardless of what the console had been like, the complaints levelled at the first-party software library would still exist.
People'd be cynical about nintendoland because it's a minigame collection featuring miis, nsmbu would still be criticized as more of the same, 3d world would disappoint people who dream of an exploration-themed 3d mario, pikmin 3 would've still been a sequel to a niche series, wii sports club would still be the most perplexing possible path to take the series, wwhd would still get shit for being a remake. Dkc tf would have still prompted the "fucking donkey kong" responses.... I feel like, at best, with the current software and any conceivable alternative hardware, the console would still be tracking sub-gamecube, satisfying a niche super effectively and barely coming to the attention of most gamers, expanded audience or otherwise.

Then there's things like the whole "let's design 3d mario in an attempt to sell to people who still only play 2d mario" plan. Fludd didn't work. Galaxy didn't work. 3d land sold better relative to the hardware base I think (and outsold nsmb2? Not sure). 3d world didn't work (Ibelieve it hasn't caught nsmbu?) . It just doesn't make sense to break your back trying to persuade people to love a certain product instead of refining the product you know has nearly-greatest-ever sales potential. In order to get 2d mario and 3d mario to sell nearly the same, they had to pit ead tokyo-made labors of love against more-of-the-same nsmb sequels. I can't tell whether they have given up on ever making a real 2d mario sequel that's not just more of the same, or if they simply don't care about trying.

I feel like nintendo's software decisionmakers brought into their critic's comments about how nintendo just makes sequels and didn't notice that their new ips have always been the biggest system sellers and that generations where they just double down on the old ips give them losses in market share. The whole "come up with new gameplay ideas and then see what exisiting characters fit them" philosophy doesn't seem to work nearly as well as nintendo imagines it should.

Yeah, even as someone who has bought and played almost nothing but nintendo consoles and software thereon in recent years, the false dichotomy over paying attention to the marketplace vs maintaining originality drives me nuts. Zelda isnt going to suddenly become red dead rupees or skyrim or grand theft horseback as a product of paying attention to hardware and network concepts.

213372bu

Banned
I see that people have now switched the hatedom from Iwata to Miyamoto.

Seriously?

I don't think that is the case, I think most people are shocked he went down. Also, I don't think hate is the word. Wii U was seeing a dark period of time, it was only natural to blame the person in charge of their strategies. This E3 definitely gave us insight to the future, and as such more positive things about the strategy of the Wii U can be said.

Top Bottom