• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Tretton: "[PS4] Production yields have been fantastic"

Violater

Just for you:

i705GhmfsX8qr.gif

Now shop the banderas gif onto the screen
3AQmK.gif

Skeff

I get the feeling we're arguing two different things then.

Yeah okay, you CAN upclock through a patch provided you've already tested the chips and the console to be reliable at that clock.

The question still remains though, why not just set it at that clock in the first place?

To answer the other gaffer, with that form factor and power draw of the console, I don't think noise is much of a priority for Sony imo.

Longevity of a product, a chips life becomes shorter for every degree hotter it runs, If there is simply no need for an upclock (and at this point there really isn't) then they don't need to upclock. In the future when cross gen games are a rarity and not the norm, then the extra power will be more useful for third party Devs, If Sony are targeting a 7 year cycle and we have 3 years of cross gen games, the longevity of the chip can be extended by the lower clocks in the first few years.

The "standard" parts that build the basis of the PS4's APU are designed to be run at up to 2Ghz and 1Ghz and it would be expected for yields to be acceptable for chips capable of up to these speeds and simply increase as the clocks are lowered.

The higher clock speeds would have to be tested at the production stage though of course, It would not be possible to upclock after shipping, unless the upclock was already considered.

Asking a chip to run at 1.6ghz for 3 years then 1.8 Ghz for 4 years is asking a lot less than asking a chip to run at 1.8Ghz for 7 years.

Paganmoon

Again, I refuse to believe that the entire design does not have a healthy "safety margin" built in...

The saftey margin is there for a reason, if they use it to boost the speeds, they'll have less, or maybe even no saftey margin -> more broken consoles.
No matter how you spin it, it's going to be more taxing than the system was designed for.

I'd love for a speed boost on the system, but I don't see it happening.

So given good yields, the July 22 FCC approval date and Patchers 1 million manufactured a month in the first year estimate, there should be at least 4 million ready to go at launch. With another million coming by the end of the year. And those are all mostly spoken for . That's a good start. Does that logic sound right?

Skeff

So given good yields, the July 22 FCC approval date and Patchers 1 million manufactured a month in the first year estimate, there should be at least 4 million ready to go at launch. With another million coming by the end of the year. And those are all mostly spoken for . That's a good start. Does that logic sound right?

Certainly sounds reasonable, Also we had some pictures from a Factory that was manufacturing PS4's, the Factory was responsible for 1 Million consoles presumably for launch, It was also referred to as "one of" the factories making PS4's. We also know production is happening in both China and Japan according to the FCC filing.

There has been talk the PS4 console and controller light can change colour and pulse. Do we know which colours? I can imagine game developers having fun with that feature.

Z3M0G

Is it just me or it looks like the dude is also trying to turn on the controller (hand operating thing) before the gif cuts out.. that would be rather redundant to turn both on... no? Is it like the PS3, you still need to turn on the controller (hand operating thing) if you turn on the console? and can you turn the console on with the controller?

He does turn on the controller because you can see the blue LED from it on the table.

Of course you'll be able to turn on the PS4 with the controller... LOL

Top Bottom