• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond introduces Haven, a new Montreal-based game development studio working on an original, new IP for PlayStation

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly i'm starting questioning what's going on with Sony recently with some of the weirdest decision making. I'm guessing they did that because it must be super cheap (since it's indie) cause Jade Raymond has done nothing, even AC1 it was Patrick Desilet the mind behind it not Jade.

I feel like i need to print Ken Kutaragi picture and put it in my room cause i feel my playstation spirit is being corrupted and disturbed recently with those Jimbo and Hermen decisions making.
Kojima Productions is also indie and death stranding is up there in terms of AAA projects go.

Jade has a team from stadia I wonder if the game is already being worked on from Stadia, they just are retooling it. Or they are making something brand new? They must have shown Sony something to get this kind of investment. So I feel we get a trailer later this year.

Wasn't there a thread just yesterday about a rumor that Microsoft was going to fund a bunch of exclusive games to be made from 3rd party studios, and the subsequent pages of people saying it was bad for the industry? I wonder what has changed in 24 hours...

In any case, I hope this new game/franchise is a success.

nikolino840

Nice, looking forward to their output.

Let's hope this time they manage to get a smaller scope and keep it focused on making a normal not too big paid game for consoles. I'm pretty sure Sony will allow them to do whatever they want without forcing them into shits like microtransactions, streaming, game as service, getting too big and so on.

Like any AAA game, Assassin's Creed didn't have a specific creative mind behind it, it was the work of dozens/hundreds of people. If you mean Creative Director no, it wasn't her role in AC. She was her boss, the producer. She did work on many successful games both before and after Assassin's Creed in many areas. First as programer, then producer, or even building and leading very successful studios and in other areas. The Creative Director of AC instead after AC only released a let's say not very successful game with monkeys.

I assume the team is relatively small team of around a dozen or two of very experienced and talented individuals. Working on a new IP unrelated to what they did in Google since a few months ago, enough time for them to make a convincing pitch and maybe prototype or even vertical slice, which combined with the confidence that their CV and popularity may provide would have convinced Sony. If the scope of the project is relatively small I think they can have the game ready in a year or two.

Did ever Sony bought an IP without buying the studio too? The studio is independent, so very likely they will own the IP of the game. As far as we know, it can be just an indie timed console exclusive.
Is not a new sony studio?

SLB1904

Banned
Wasn't there a thread just yesterday about a rumor that Microsoft was going to fund a bunch of exclusive games to be made from 3rd party studios, and the subsequent pages of people saying it was bad for the industry? I wonder what has changed in 24 hours...

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I simply do not understand the continued hype and enthusiasm for Jade Raymond. Has she done anything significant since the first Assassin's Creed? Seems like she just keeps joining new studios and leaving before anything gets released.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Kojima Productions is also indie and death stranding is up there in terms of AAA projects go.

Jade has a team from stadia I wonder if the game is already being worked on from Stadia, they just are retooling it. Or they are making something brand new? They must have shown Sony something to get this kind of investment. So I feel we get a trailer later this year.
Kojima Productions was welcomed in by Andrew House who gave Kojima the opportunity to tour all studios, and collaborate with Decima Engine creators over a prolonged period of time.

Andrew House doesn't work there anymore, so it really remains to be seen if we'll see that kind of collaboration again.

Papacheeks

Banned

Theres a big difference in making a game exclusive that was multiplatform to behind with ala rise of the tomb raider. And this is a independent studios that was newly founded from the ashes of a closed studio. Sony saw what they had, and I guess was impressed enough to back the project. Guess we will see if it's lame or not.

Kojima Productions was welcomed in by Andrew House who gave Kojima the opportunity to tour all studios, and collaborate with Decima Engine creators over a prolonged period of time.

Andrew House doesn't work there anymore, so it really remains to be seen if we'll see that kind of collaboration again.

Your right Jim Ryan is evil palpatine looking mofo, he doesn't want to sign deals with renowned talent that have a history of making money. :goog_rolleyes:

Can't wait till later this year, a lot of you will understand and either be ok with it or still be salty as fuck.

Last edited:
I love Sony’s approach of building teams internally and from the ground up to be successful. Not having a rich dad to buy success for you can lead to great things.
Yeah, I guess they never purchased Naughty Dog (2001, well after the Crash trilogy and CTR), Psygnosis (1993), Zipper Interactive, Guerrilla Games (2011, well after the first three Killzone games), Sigil Games Online Inc., Evolution Studios (2007) , Media Molecule (2010, after signing an exclusivity deal with SCEI in 2006), Sucker Punch (2011), Gaikai (cloud streaming), Audio Kinetic, and Insomniac huh?

Both Sony and Microsoft have made acquisitions and will continue to do so. Trying to say one has cultivated talent internally or grown their teams while the other hasn't is false, as Microsoft have cultivated some of their teams as well such as Turn 10 and Playground Games. And the argument that Microsoft has only gone after purchases with no history on their platform is also false; Zenimax/Bethesda in particular have a long-running history with the company going back to the early 2000s' with Morrowind, if not even earlier than that.

All of this trying to justify one company's 1P growth as "organic" and genuine and the other as fake and unearned, it's all a 100% fake argument, at the end of the day.

Theres a big difference in making a game exclusive that was multiplatform to behind with ala rise of the tomb raider. And this is a independent studios that was newly founded from the ashes of a closed studio. Sony saw what they had, and I guess was impressed enough to back the project. Guess we will see if it's lame or not.

So did you feel the same way when Street Fighter V became a PS4/PC exclusive? Because the common talking point thrown out there is that Sony helped co-fund development and helped sponsor Capcom Cup but...no one seriously believes Capcom was not going to develop a follow-up to SF4. It may've not come out in 2016 but in hindsight a delay would've been for the better.

Sony has a history of signing exclusive contracts for new entries in games that were once multi-plat that goes back to the PS1. I'm not saying this stuff is ethically wrong; it's just business. But the people trying to frame it as an ethical argument to say why one is good and the other is bad, or try saying Microsoft purchasing Zenimax is "wrong", don't seem to understand how the world of business doesn't care about petulant console war-esque bantering.

Last edited:
I simply do not understand the continued hype and enthusiasm for Jade Raymond. Has she done anything significant since the first Assassin's Creed? Seems like she just keeps joining new studios and leaving before anything gets released.
Did she create the concept of Assassin's Creed or did she just manage the team that made it? In any case, Assassin's Creed wasn't a breakthrough success for Ubisoft until AC2 released.

I love Sony’s approach of building teams internally and from the ground up to be successful. Not having a rich dad to buy success for you can lead to great things.
The team was made by Google years ago. Sony simply offered them an exclusivity deal after Google packed it's bags and left everyone stranded. There's nothing "built from the ground up" about this scenario LOL.

SSfox

Honestly Microsoft has great opportunity to Fuck Sony's Jimbo and Hermen right now, Microsoft can put Gamepass into their butthole but if they make a deal with Sega new Virtua Fighter and then another deal with Kojima, and also why not deal with Techmo for Ninja gaiden 4 (Ninja Gaiden 1 was the game that made me love and respect Xbox back then), i'm speaking for me but this is instant gonna make Xbox so much appealing and a must have. PS5 will still have musts like GOW2, FF16 and FF7, but i want to see variety and not just the following of the 10 millions sold PS4 blockbusters AAA.

I wish MS would do that so we'll have real competition and Sony will wake up, that would be the same MS of 360 era. But MS may just keep pushing for MUH GAMEPASS MUH, but i wouldn't mind if they change their tune for once though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did she create the concept of Assassin's Creed or did she just manage the team that made it? In any case, Assassin's Creed wasn't a breakthrough success for Ubisoft until AC2 released.

She helped build the team and also guide the game's direction and lay out plans for the sequels. I think her contributions to success of AC were fairly large, even if she wasn't the creative director.

It's just, that was well over a decade ago. I'm sure she's been on plenty of stuff in the intervening years, but she doesn't seem to be publicly known for much else.

Honestly Microsoft has great opportunity to Fuck Sony's Jimbo and Hermen right now, Microsoft can put Gamepass into their butthole but if they make a deal with Sega new Virtua Fighter and then another deal with Kojima, and also why not deal with Techmo for Ninja gaiden 4 (Ninja Gaiden 1 was the game that made me love and respect Xbox back then), i'm speaking for me but this is instant gonna make Xbox so much appealing and a must have. PS5 will still have musts like GOW2, FF16 and FF7, but i want to see variety and not just the following of the 10 millions sold PS4 blockbusters AAA.

I wish MS would do that so we'll have real competition and Sony will wake up, that would be the same MS of 360 era. But MS may just keep pushing for MUH GAMEPASS MUH, but i wouldn't mind if they change their tune for once though.
If yesterday's rumors from Jez Corden are true, Microsoft already has a handful of exclusive games being made by 3rd party devs. It's just a matter of time before they start announcing these collaborations. I wouldn't expect to be playing any of these games for another 3+ years though unfortunately.

SSfox

yeah because Ken Kutaragi is well known for good decision making
What worst has done Kutaragi? releasing an expansive console? yeah sure but the online was free so in the end it would cost you much less then Xbox 360 + 5 years Xbox live Gold.

Also nobody is perfection, everyone make mistakes sometimes, and Jimbo is making playstation go prostitution (by releasing HZ and DG on PC and confirming that more PS games coming coming to PC)

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, I guess they never purchased Naughty Dog (2001, well after the Crash trilogy and CTR), Psygnosis (1993), Zipper Interactive, Guerrilla Games (2011, well after the first three Killzone games), Sigil Games Online Inc., Evolution Studios (2007) , Media Molecule (2010, after signing an exclusivity deal with SCEI in 2006), Sucker Punch (2011), Gaikai (cloud streaming), Audio Kinetic, and Insomniac huh?

Both Sony and Microsoft have made acquisitions and will continue to do so. Trying to say one has cultivated talent internally or grown their teams while the other hasn't is false, as Microsoft have cultivated some of their teams as well such as Turn 10 and Playground Games. And the argument that Microsoft has only gone after purchases with no history on their platform is also false; Zenimax/Bethesda in particular have a long-running history with the company going back to the early 2000s' with Morrowind, if not even earlier than that.

All of this trying to justify one company's 1P growth as "organic" and genuine and the other as fake and unearned, it's all a 100% fake argument, at the end of the day.

Every purchase was based on numerous collaborations of projects. Where were these so called projects for xbox before they bought rare? Obsidian? Bethesda? Lion head? Lion head was indpendent for over a decade before being bought and really fable was the only game they made specifically for xbox. From my understanding that game was coming to PC originally, but Microsoft wanted it on xbox. Then bought them couple years later.

Every purchase was based on numerous collaborations of projects. Where were these so called projects for xbox before they bought rare? Obsidian? Bethesda? Lion head? Lion head was indpendent for over a decade before being bought and really fable was the only game they made specifically for xbox. From my understanding that game was coming to PC originally, but Microsoft wanted it on xbox. Then bought them couple years later.
LOL, there are no set criteria or guidebook for how or when any company should be able to purchase a game development studio. History or not, money talks.

Wha..... Why? How does this chick who's not a dev keep getting paid (by big companies no less)? I had no idea who she was most of my life but GAF (now Reee) used to make a big deal out of her joining (and of course leaving having added nothing of value) studios for whatever reason (probably got the hots for her) when I looked her up she was just some suit! Not a dev or anything close to that, she was a "manging director" with the last credible thing she was involved with was a game (Far Cry 4) that came out in 2013!

So again why should anyone be excited for this?
tenor.gif

Last edited:

stitch1

There seems to be a lot of PlayStation fans thirsty for ANY positive news this week. I mean I like Jade as much as the next guy but this was a pretty lame announcement. No logo, no dev interview, no game announcement. It's just barely any news at all. It's like Sony was saying please just let everyone know you are working on a project with us.... PLEASE!!!!!

yurinka

After she was a successful producer with the first AC games and DLCs, plus started Watchdogs and The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot she was tasked on to build and lead Ubisoft Toronto, which was very successful and became the 2nd biggest Ubisoft studio. They did work (in collaboration with other Ubi studios) in the first couple of Watchdog games, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 4 and Primal, Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, For Honor, several other AC games and DLCs and more.

Then she left to create a new studio for EA to make the Amy Hening Star Wars but EA was too EA, shutted down the game and put them to help into Battlefront 2, a game also ruined because EA was being too EA. Her studio made Star Wars Squadrons.

Then Google hired her as vice president to be the head of Google's Studios, a team who would make exclusive games for Stadia. Google decided to shut down the team before they released any internal game and as I remember only released Gylt (3rd party exclusive made by Tequila Works, the Rime guys) and maybe some other small game.

Now she created an independent studio with experienced former coworkers (I assume people from Ubi, EA and Google) whose first game seems will be for Sony (we don't know if as a 2nd party game, a full 3rd party exclusive, a full console exclusive, a timed console exclusive or just a multi game with a marketing deal).

Games, and game concepts, aren't created by a single person. They are created by a team. In the case of AAA games like AC, by a huge team. In Ubisoft, like in basically any AAA company, the games are leaded by 2 persons. The producer, who is the one in charge of the game development part (game designers, artists, programmers, composers/audio designers, testers...). And the product manager or brand manager, who the person in charge of the marketing and communications part (market research, trailers, ads, PR, CM, etc). She was the producer of the first few AC games and DLCs, and then she was promoted to be the studio boss of one of the studios who did work on more AC games and other games.

And well, AC2 existed because AC was a big success even if they had several issues back then with the new next gen technology and open world concept plus unfocused vision from the creative director (AC1 was supposed to be a Prince of Persia game but it ended being too different of the original idea so they decided to rework it and rebrand it as a new IP).

If yesterday's rumors from Jez Corden are true, Microsoft already has a handful of exclusive games being made by 3rd party devs. It's just a matter of time before they start announcing these collaborations. I wouldn't expect to be playing any of these games for another 3+ years though unfortunately.
I highly doubt Microsoft would pay for big 3rd party exclusives when they decide to make some of their own games not even full console exclusives. If this is true, maybe it's only some small indies.

Just wait for this Wednesday :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The team was made by Google years ago. Sony simply offered them an exclusivity deal after Google packed it's bags and left everyone stranded. There's nothing "built from the ground up" about this scenario LOL.
We don't know if this team has any other former Google employee other than Jade. And we don't know if Haven's first project is something rehashed from Google or if they started to create it totally from scratch outside Google.

So did you feel the same way when Street Fighter V became a PS4/PC exclusive? Because the common talking point thrown out there is that Sony helped co-fund development and helped sponsor Capcom Cup but...no one seriously believes Capcom was not going to develop a follow-up to SF4. It may've not come out in 2016 but in hindsight a delay would've been for the better.

Sony has a history of signing exclusive contracts for new entries in games that were once multi-plat that goes back to the PS1. I'm not saying this stuff is ethically wrong; it's just business. But the people trying to frame it as an ethical argument to say why one is good and the other is bad, or try saying Microsoft purchasing Zenimax is "wrong", don't seem to understand how the world of business doesn't care about petulant console war-esque bantering.
Back then Capcom was in financial troubles so they signed several exclusivity deals with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to get some cash. In the case of Sony, they did choose Street Fighter. Sony funded and outsourced the PS4 USFIV port, put money for the Capcom Pro Tour eSports and partially funded SFV in exchange on full console exclusivity for SFV series and 'next gen exclusivity of USFIV'.

According to Capcom, SFV development would have been delayed a couple of years because they didn''t have money to fund it. This is, development start would have started a couple of years later and its release would have been in 2018. Thanks to Sony's money they were able to start working on it and to release it earlier. Without Sony the game release would have been the same but 2 years later and multiplatform.

Last edited:

Aenima

Is Jimbo simping for Jade now? I would do it too. :p

Good to see her out of the Stadia titanic. Now lets hope her new studio delivers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Your right Jim Ryan is evil palpatine looking mofo, he doesn't want to sign deals with renowned talent that have a history of making money. :goog_rolleyes:

Can't wait till later this year, a lot of you will understand and either be ok with it or still be salty as fuck.
Lots of people offered Kojima deals. I'm saying it was Andrew House who closed it. Watch that announcement video. They look like best friends, and House speaks Japanese.

sublimit

Banned
She happened to be the producer of some of the best Assassin's Creed games (back when it was still Assassin's Creed and not some generic RPG) but i'm sure that had more to do with Patrice Desilets than her. Also the role of producer means nothing to me.

Ultimately it will all depend on how capable and experienced her studio is.

SSfox

Jade Raymond seriously???
1466366188-risitas6.png

I mean even Ryo Saeba with his incontrollable hormones wouldn't have sign a deal with her to make a game
1466366261-risitas51.png

Yosp had made deal with Miyazaki for Bloodborne
1466366648-risitas115.png

look at what kind of deals Clown hermen are dealing, like porting PS games on PC wasn't enough of clownshow for him
1466366621-risitas112.png

SSfox

She happened to be the producer of some of the best Assassin's Creed games (back when it was still Assassin's Creed and not some generic RPG) but i'm sure that had more to do with Patrice Desilets than her. Also the role of producer means nothing to me.

Ultimately it will all depend on how capable and experienced her studio is.
It's definitely thanks to Patrick for AC1. And god bless him for this game and specially AC2 and Brotherhood, i replayed those games recently and still are so awesome and the best AC games, and Ezio is one of the best main character videogame in history without the doubt.

Guilty_AI

I don't know... it is not my like of game but Watch Dogs were very well received and sold really good.... so a success? I found out the sequel inferior to the first game imo.

I mean Watch Dogs sold over 10 million units pretty fast.
It even turned the table on Ubisoft finanacials.

"well received" is a reeeeally subjective opinion here given how criticized it got.
As for sales, we should know by now sales is a bigger indication of investment in marketing than the quality of the game itself

Um what happened at EA and Google wasn't exactly on her. You can't be serious.
Sony needs to stop with trying to push the wannabe auteurs and give someone unknown and fresh the reigns to new IP.

The era of a single name and face being attached to a game has long past. It's bad for the industry.

Last edited:

SSfox

Sony needs to stop with trying to push the wannabe auteurs and give someone unknown and fresh the reigns to new IP.
This is what Sony has been doing since the beginning of time and they've always been by far the best of doing this, and one of the reason they always been the best in the industry for me, and all i hope is that Jimbo and Hermen will not forget that.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It's definitely thanks to Patrick for AC1. And god bless him for this game and specially AC2 and Brotherhood, i replayed those games recently and still are so awesome and the best AC games, and Ezio is one of the best main character videogame in history without the doubt.
I agree. To be honest i was never the biggest fan of Assassin's Creed's gameplay (never liked the sticky platforming and combat) but AC1 and AC2 really made you feel as an Assassin and i loved the atmosphere and mysticism of those games even if i wasn't a big fan of the gameplay.

Coincidentally i think the last AC game that felt like AC was Unity which was also produced by Raymond.

Elysion

Banned
Since Patrice Desilets has been brought up, do we know what he‘s doing currently? I vaguely remember from years ago that he was working on a new IP, but then the publisher went under or something?

Aenima

Hey Sony, you fucks. Here's THE female that is actually good at her job. You know, the one you had to sack because she wasn't female enough for your pal Druckman and his girl Anita Sarkeesian.

Amy_Henning.jpg
I lost all respect for Amy the moment she started defending EA microtransactions and saying that you can just watch single player games on youtube.

She did a great job at Naughtydog with the Uncharted games, but since she left she has done nothing, other than having her own directed game being canned by EA.

Yoboman

Would this have been something well underway on Stadia that has been moved over now or is she starting from scratch?

TheAssist

My 2 cents: She knows how to handle big games and establish big franchises. She is in an executive role and not a creative role (so the Amy Hennig comparison is very flawed).

Right now Sony needs big new IP that differs from what their other studios are making, so to me this seems like a good move. And probably cheaper than outright buying a new studio. After what happened to her team at EA and Google, I bet the terms of agreement were comparatively low on Sony's side (giving them creative freedom and some time basically).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So a respected game producer founds a new studio, gets the backing of the biggest gaming company to create a new game and a new IP, fulfill her dream, and support many other employees, and people still find ways to complain about it? This is ridiculous.

So a respected game producer founds a new studio, gets the backing of the biggest gaming company to create a new game and a new IP, fulfill her dream, and support many other employees, and people still find ways to complain about it? This is ridiculous.

To be fair, the one's complaining are perfect in their chosen careers

They're the emodiment of perfection. Jade should listen to them. They've clearly mastered the real world

Last edited:

Fbh

Agreed.
Looking at her wikipedia page the only truly notable games I see are the first 2 AC, and that was over 10 years ago. Other than that it's all a bunch of "meh" Ubisoft sequels, and something called The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.
In the last 6 years she has worked on a cancelled Star Wars game for a now dead studio and some cancelled google game for a now dead studio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom