• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowden

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
I dare you to find me an in-game PS2 game that has a better looking ear.

:lol I can't believe this conversation.

I understand exactly what Jaffe meant when he said "painting come to life" after seeing this. What did people think it would go Valkyria Chronicles?
how do you do this 24/7

GeoramA

Jaffe really gave the trolls an opening with that 'painting' remark.

Downloaded the trailer from GT. Looks amazing in it's early state.

roMonster

Onix said:
Considering that's the in-game model, who's normally pretty small on the screen ... I think it looks sufficiently detailed. Why people are expecting Heavy Rain models is beyond me. That isn't feasible for this type of game.

Yea maybe not for everything on screen but this is the main character we're talking about. You're going to be seeing him 90% of the time and he should have a certain amount of detail. Perhaps that character model wasn't suppose to be seen that close up...

Tieno

MvmntInGrn said:
I dare you to find me an in-game PS2 game that has a better looking ear.

:lol I can't believe this conversation.
His ear is no Van Gogh! (no idea what that means)

kevm3

ibz6u0.jpg

How is this face disappointing unless you compare it to a game like Heavy Rain, which isn't nearly as dynamic?

Raistlin

Mike Works said:
what about killzone 2 models? would that not be realistic?

I don't think KZ2's are that much better, but then again I never paid attention to extreme closeups of their ears :p

Part of the problem I think people are having are with the design of the character itself. He doesn't have a lot of stuff on him, so there isn't much to get wowed about. If you really look at his musculature however, it doesn't look far off from most fighting games. Seems pretty good to me.

aerts1js

Well, the thing is that it's god of war. People are expecting something out of this world. Being just good isn't merely enough.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Do we even know what percent the game is complete yet? I would say that that trailer didn't blow me away or disappointment either. There just isn't enough to judge yet IMO.

YYZ

This game should not look like Killzone 2 or MGS4!

I don't know why the fuck people expect this. For one this is a pretty fast-paced action game, it's not a relatively slower first-person shooter or a tactical shooter. So many different things have to be considered when coming up with the limits on the visuals.

aerts1js

This game should not look like Killzone 2 or MGS4!

I don't know why the fuck people expect this. For one this is a pretty fast-paced action game, it's not a relatively slower first-person shooter or a tactical shooter. So many different things have to be considered when coming up with the limits on the visuals.

It's because all of the previous god of wars (ps2, psp) have arguably displayed the best visuals for their particular system. Really, the trailer is too short to draw any conclusions for me.

bdouble

why are we bitching about a game that looks like that? Like really. Is this what we have to look forward to every time a new game is announced now? Game looks spot on and the tech is letting them do whatever they want. Its called a saturation point. Everything looks good these days. Its not the SNES days when the best games went hand in hand with the best visuals. Hell now even shitty games look good.

Animations look like some of the best we have seen this generation and not sure what else anyone expected. Yeah it looks like a painting and so did GeoW sometimes and so do a few other games.

J-Rzez

It'll be time for another round of "Killzoned" once this game is shown off again, can't wait for all the back pedaling and ointments needed by people to help their butthurt out. I can't believe people haven't learned yet to not doubt the capability of this machine. And that footage looks great now, and there's months and months ahead of it to get better before launch.

GeoramA said:
Jaffe really gave the trolls an opening with that 'painting' remark.

Downloaded the trailer from GT. Looks amazing in it's early state.
This is why you don't hype a game up before it's shown.

Just humbly release info, keep your mouth shut and tell others you've shown it to, to do the same.

:lol The way David was talking, he had me expecting some shit like this.

PG03_2k.0612.JPG

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
bdouble said:
why are we bitching about a game that looks like that? Like really. Is this what we have to look forward to every time a new game is announced now? Game looks spot on and the tech is letting them do whatever they want.

Animations look like some of the best we have seen this generation.

This is NeoGAF, dude.

kevm3

GoW3.png

Look at the way his ab contorts... pretty sweet attention to detali.

I say the trailer wasn't mindblowing, but obviously you are looking at one of the more drab parts of the game with Kratos fighting typical enemies.

I have no doubt that the game will look much better when we see some of the other areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxQsmigTog&feature=related

Trailer of God of War 2. If you watch footage from 5 seconds to 10 seconds in, it looks underwhelming compared to some of the other areas in the game. Fighting regular enemies in a dark, dank swampish area obviously isn't going to show off the graphical finesse of the game.

So I can agree that it doesn't look mindblowing... but I have to say that we haven't seen the areas where the game really shines.

Esch

Banned
J-Rzez said:
It'll be time for another round of "Killzoned" once this game is shown off again, can't wait for all the back pedaling and ointments needed by people to help their butthurt out. I can't believe people haven't learned yet to not doubt the capability of this machine. And that footage looks great now, and there's months and months ahead of it to get better before launch.

GoWn3d?

D:

Tieno

kevm3 said:
GoW3.png

Look at the way his ab contorts... pretty sweet attention to detali.

I say the trailer wasn't mindblowing, but obviously you are looking at one of the more drab parts of the game with Kratos fighting typical enemies.

I have no doubt that the game will look much better when we see some of the other areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxQsmigTog&feature=related

Trailer of God of War 2. If you watch footage from 5 seconds to 10 seconds in, it looks underwhelming compared to some of the other areas in the game. Fighting regular enemies in a dark, dank swampish area obviously isn't going to show off the graphical finesse of the game.

So I can agree that it doesn't look mindblowing... but I have to say that we haven't seen the areas where the game really shines.
Yeah, it's a rather underwhelming, drab, colorless environment and small one on one fight. Nothing of the scale and jawdropness like those big horses in the GOW2 trailer. With that said, Jaffe should have just kept his unbiased and uncensored mouth.

Andronicus said:
did god of war 1 & 2 have the same art style as killzone?
this shit is unbelievable:lol
so i can't compare how texture work and geometry between the two titles because they have "different art styles", even though both titles are attempting to render a realistic human model (the only difference being skin color)? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

look at how smart i am with those smilies. i've got like 10 more of them than you.

Onix said:
I don't think KZ2's are that much better, but then again I never paid attention to extreme closeups of their ears :p
that's just the thing though. Killzone 2- a game coming out in a couple months- has secondary characters which look arguably better than the MAIN CHARACTER of GOW3- a game coming out in 2010- which is developed by a (again arguably) superior developer.

i personally find that to be disappointing.

Mike Works said:
direct capture (cropped horizontally to avoid breaking tables, but not compressed in any way):

ibz6u0.jpg

It's probably just bad lighting that's making his skin look like it was copy and pasted from 1998. That picture reminds me of Black & White of all things.

Aegus

The realisation that the same people who bitch about the graphics are the same people people who bitch about framerate drops in graphically superb games.

You can't have it both ways (unless you're on PC).

kevm3

god_of_war_2_39.jpg

Here's a screenshot of a somewhat similar area in God of War 2. If you seen that, you would be underwhelmed. But when you move into some of the other areas:

god-of-war-ii.223489.jpg

The game takes on a new life. I have no doubt that this is the same for GOW3 and that Jaffe may be right on.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! We haven't seen anything of the environments or anytihng in the game. I bet you there are parts of this game that will be absolutley mind blowingly gorgeous, I would bet anything on it. Just wait :D

Esch

Banned
Mike Works said:
that's just the thing though. Killzone 2- a game coming out in a couple months- has secondary characters which look arguably better than the MAIN CHARACTER of GOW3- a game coming out in 2010- which is developed by a (again arguably) superior developer.

and there is the crux of your problem.

The game is coming out in 2010. That is a long time to improve something, no?

Raistlin

Yes ... his model is terrible ... just terrible. As is the enemy.

2ypkup1.jpg

1z4ybuq.jpg

zxs5dk.jpg

Seriously gaf, what the hell's wrong with you?

Ploid 3.0

Tieno said:
Yeah, it's a rather underwhelming, drab, colorless environment and small one on one fight. Nothing of the scale and jawdropness like those big horses in the GOW2 trailer. With that said, Jaffe should have just kept his unbiased and uncensored mouth.

It's his blog, he's not forcing people to read it. It's what he think, why should he censor his thoughts? And this wasn't what he saw that made him think that. Let the man talk freely, not everyone thinks like gaf and other forums.

Aegus said:
The realisation that the same people who bitch about the graphics are the same people people who bitch about framerate drops in graphically superb games.
Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games this decade and I constantly laugh at people who can't enjoy the game because of it's framerate.

EschatonDX said:
and there is the crux of your problem.

The game is coming out in 2010. That is a long time to improve something, no?
that is not the crux of my problem; it goes both ways. i've already stated this.

unfortunately we can't really compare how killzone 2 looked when it was first unveiled :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CommancheRaisinToast said:
am i the only one that's just happy they even showed us in-game stuff and not CGI as expected? :lol

It was originally stated that it was going to be in-game footage.

Raistlin

Mike Works said:

Look at the pics I posted. I disagree.

That said, even if it were true ... it's about resource usage. Normally, there aren't closeups of your main character, whereas in a fps, it's likely you will see closeups of your enemies. Instead, 3rd person action games typically put their resources in other areas, since it's arguably a waste.

As I said though, I disagree generally anyway. Look at the lighting on him ... it shows off how well modeled he really is.

YYZ said:
is this confirmed? The 60fps thing.
I was actually at the award show in person and the GOW 3 trailer was running at 30FPS. I'd say this has as much of a chance of running at 60FPS as MGS4 did and we all remember the IGN dude who said that game ran at 60, lol.

Ploid 3.0

2ypkup1.jpg

Wow look at all those enemies in the background :D. I didn't notice that on tv. I should check out this bigger size "hd" video on GT.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ploid 3.0 said:
2ypkup1.jpg

Wow look at all those enemies in the background :D. I didn't notice that on tv. I should check out this bigger size "hd" video on GT.

Oh damn, I just noticed that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
polyh3dron said:
I was actually at the award show in person and the GOW 3 trailer was running at 30FPS. I'd say this has as much of a chance of running at 60FPS as MGS4 did and we all remember the IGN dude who said that game ran at 60, lol.

Night Vision + Staring at floor made the game 60.

It felt soooooooooooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom