• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
the face probably look underwhelming because the facial animation is not done. here's a much expressive and cooler capture from the trailer
godofwar3kratosfacecrop2.jpg

Ploid 3.0

polyh3dron said:
I was actually at the award show in person and the GOW 3 trailer was running at 30FPS. I'd say this has as much of a chance of running at 60FPS as MGS4 did and we all remember the IGN dude who said that game ran at 60, lol.

Well MGS4 wasn't locked at 60, and ran in 60 in certain conditions.

VindicatorZ said:
[http://i34.tinypic.com/zxs5dk.jpg[/IMG]

Look at both Kratos and the enemies facial expressions in this shot. This game is serious.

I just noticed it after you pointed it out. That's pretty good detail. I'd update the avatar if the image quality of that trailer had no compression and artifacts.

Raistlin

Even though this isn't what Jaffe was talking about ... the more I look at it, the more it does start to remind me of a painting.

Specifically, the type of works you see from Heavy Metal (Vallejo, etc).

zoukka

Oh yay fucking NeoGAF strikes gold again :lol

I mean in the previous games Kratos was like 5cm on the screen max all the time. Yeah let's pour zillions of polygons on that sucker right? And if this shit runs 60fps, it will surely stomp on mr Greycorridors 2 by miles. Or do you people expect GOWIII:s greatest locales are a 10 meter long canyon and the back of a freaking cyclops?!

GAF should lose it's seeing priviledges.

The only underwhelming thing in this material is the awful lighting imo. Don't give me this dark shit please.

EDIT: Gauntlets NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Raistlin

VindicatorZ said:
Look at both Kratos and the enemies facial expressions in this shot. This game is serious.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about previously. The animation in this game looks to be at a whole other level.

it resembles to GOW concept art the most, anyone who has the PS3 Theme for Chains Of Olympus gets an idea of what they are going for with the art looking the closest to their concept art for GOW3

Ploid 3.0

The more images of the HD vid I see the more I think that the model for Kratos is perfect and they should leave it like that. What are the flaws again? Other than the dirty ashy look to the textures? Maybe there's a purpose his skin is all dusty, and faded looking. :D

And :D on the sword scar in the middle of his belly. Good job to the devs so far. Now get the game out quick so I don't spoil myself on the other stuff. I want to be surprised as people were with the first level of GOW2.

20070319.jpg

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Hmm didn't anyone else notice? That guy of vgtilt was spot on again. Everyone here at GAF is calling him not credible and a fake.

But that's already the third time he has something correct..

Raistlin

zoukka said:
The only underwhelming thing in this material is the awful lighting imo. Don't give me this dark shit please.

What!?!?! The lighting's fucking incredible.

If you don't like the fact it's dark from a design perspective, fine ... but to say the lighting is shit is ridiculous.

zoukka said:

EDIT: Gauntlets NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

I thought the lighting is pretty damn awesome, especially that scene with the horse where your blade of chaos glow and the light is reflected to the canyon and the centaur.

unless you mean the night scene

why no to the gauntlets? I'm pretty damn sure it's going to be charged based attack like Zeus gauntlet

Loudninja

Kingsora said:
Hmm didn't anyone else notice? That guy of vgtilt was spot on again. Everyone here at GAF is calling him not credible and a fake.

What he say?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kingsora said:

Huh?

tak

Onix said:

If you don't like the fact it's dark from a design perspective, fine ... but to say the lighting is shit is ridiculous.
The lighting is flat, but it's hard to make a moonlit scene look great, lighting wise.

To say it's OMG amazing is a little silly; it's good, but not amazing in the footage shown.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Well his Uncharted 2 rumor was spot on. Add in his God of war 3 rumor he talked about zombies and cemetery's....

Cerberus

Kingsora said:

:lol

So we're gonna get a playable demo of God of War III in the coming months? I remember him posting that in his blog.

I think it looks fantastic...

I agree that jaffe's comment has probably given those who wanted to put the game down, an opening...

This looks more impressive than any other game in its genre (DMC4, NG2, NB), even at this early stage... the drabness washes away some of the detail, but if you look closely at the textures they are actually pretty damn good...

Tak: opinions kid... Personally I think the lighting is great... and probably not fully implemented...the only thing remotely silly is you stating your singular internet opinion as fact... blows the mind

zoukka

Onix said:

I don't separate "tech" and "design" man. Why the hell should I?

why no to the gauntlets? I'm pretty damn sure it's going to be charged based attack like Zeus gauntlet

Because they were broken and unfun in CoO.

Shit definitely doesn't look like "a painting come to life" (whatever that means), but I'll reserve my judgment for the final build. Impressive draw distance in the above pic though.

Raistlin

What I'm most happy to see is that the image quality is so good. Reminds of KZ2 in that regard.

Then again, considering who's making this, it's very possible there is some KZ2 tech in this engine.

jett

D-Member
Looking at the HD footage...it still looks very unimpressive. I have no idea what I was expecting, but at least I thought I'd be blown away by God of fucking War 3.

zoukka said:

Because they were broken and unfun in CoO.

Never heard any positive comment from you on here about anything.... you are probably ADD on ecstasy in real life though... get all your negativity off on here maybe..?

Oh, yeah, and Kratos is as stuffed with blue cheese as ever...

Raistlin

zoukka said:

Because we've only been shown like 10 seconds of material? We have no idea what other areas look like, design-wise. However, if the tech is there, that means the well-designed (from your perspective) areas will look that much better.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
Looking at the HD footage...it still looks very unimpressive. I have no idea what I was expecting, but at least I thought I'd be blown away by God of fucking War 3.

To be honest, the trailer really wasn't put together that well.

Mike Works said:
so i can't compare how texture work and geometry between the two titles because they have "different art styles", even though both titles are attempting to render a realistic human model (the only difference being skin color)? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

look at how smart i am with those smilies. i've got like 10 more of them than you.

so stylization wont affect textures and geometry across different IP?.....

that right there made you look like an idiot

by that logic every game, comic or cartoon character should look exactly the same.
they are representing a human model base, thats where the comparison ends.

killzone has always been trying to do a sort of gritty realism (ps2 processing power hampered this with the original game)

god of war is/was not trying to be killzone in ancient mythical greece

there are different art styles, maybe you just don't get it

this is like saying nathan drake looks terrible because his face doesnt look like a wrinkley scrotum like marcus fenix

zoukka

nelsonroyale said:
Never heard any positive comment from you on here about anything.... you are probably ADD on ecstasy in real life though... get all your negativity off on here maybe..?

You give videogames, and forums about videogames (for god's sake) way too much credit man.

Raistlin

Prezhulio said:
everything looks amazing except for the trails on the blades....that flame effect looks exactly the same as gow2 i'm remembering

I agree, though I'd suspect that is something that will change. Those sorts of effects are not the type of thing finalized early.

zoukka

Onix said:
Because we've only been shown like 10 seconds of material? We have no idea what other areas look like, design-wise. However, if the tech is there, that means the well-designed (from your perspective) areas will look that much better.

Quote from me like ten minutes ago:

...do you people expect GOWIII:s greatest locales are a 10 meter long canyon and the back of a freaking cyclops?!

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
Why is it always 30 or 60 anyway?

A solid 45 or 50 would be kickass. We have LCD's now, let us pick :[

Because the framerate should be locked so that the display device refresh rate is a multiple of it. Hence, 15, 20, 30, 60...since televisions operate at 60Hz. Otherwise, you get tearing.

zoukka

Onix said:
What does that have to do with my point? Unless you are trying to prove it?

I KNOW this game will blow socks away, I just wanted to clear that one out. Still these images and the trailer were put together in a haste or by some jerk-of-an-artist-in-training. And I don't like the lighting in THIS material.

Clear enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom