• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfyb

Banned
btw, the trailer was a shortened version. the full version showed more moves and you eventually get to see that the whole thing took place on a
titan. it pans out and you see multiple titans climbing up to get to zeus

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dfyb said:
btw, the trailer was a shortened version. the full version showed more moves and you eventually get to see that the whole thing took place on a

How does you know?

ghstwrld

Onix said:
Even though this isn't what Jaffe was talking about ... the more I look at it, the more it does start to remind me of a painting.

Specifically, the type of works you see from Heavy Metal (Vallejo, etc).

:lol

Esch

Banned
Raist said:
inrfog.jpg

PS2 amirite ?

Actually laughed out loud at this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
Because the framerate should be locked so that the display device refresh rate is a multiple of it. Hence, 15, 20, 30, 60...since televisions operate at 60Hz. Otherwise, you get tearing.

LCD's don't technically operate in Hz, it's the signal.

If it says display this frame for 0.0166 seconds (60 fps), or each frame for 0.0222 seconds (45 fps) I don't see what the problem is as it outputs a whole image each time.

Ploid 3.0

Corleth the Fey said:
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2894/godofwar3vgacapis4.jpgMG][/QUOTE]

I was about to say something about that. Titties already shown in the new gow3 hah. No censor or anything. Boobs are allowed if it's art.

Raistlin

Hazaro said:
LCD's don't technically operate in Hz, it's the signal.

If it says display this frame for 0.0166 seconds (60 fps), or each frame for 0.0222 seconds (45 fps) I don't see what the problem is as it outputs a whole image each time.

That isn't how they operate though. While one could be designed that way, they normally only support specific refreshes.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I was about to say something about that. Titties already shown in the new gow3 hah. No censor or anything. Boobs are allowed if it's art.

I just frame advanced on the PSN version and they are blurred out :lol

Ploid 3.0

dfyb said:

Epic! Ratchet and mario galaxy, eat your hearts out. Titans > planets.

Raistlin

EschatonDX said:
Yeah, I noticed this too.

I swear to god it's swaying in the wind in one scene.

Yeah, it is ... the part where the perspective shifts so that the trees are sideways. You can see them moving.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Onix said:
That isn't how they operate though. While one could be designed that way, they normally only support specific refreshes.

Firmware updates.
Make it happen bankrupt company that used to make my TV.

I can understand why they wouldn't though, but they should be able to unless I am missing something.
Everything else is 24 fps and 30 fps. My eye is too good for that :lol

Is he wearing heels?

hs59ue.png

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WOW! Those 1080p shots REALLY show the detail... haters owned total.

Downloading the PSN one now to see it on my TV.

just watched the 1080p trailer fron PSN on my 42 inch Plasma, it looks sooo much better on a HDTV

Pause, still frame, still frame, still frame, you see the detail mondo detail

Esch

Banned
Onix said:
Yeah, it is ... the part where the perspective shifts so that the trees are sideways. You can see them moving.

Nice, that was exactly what I was talking about. I hope this game has a lot of dynamic environs like this.

YYZ

WOW, everyone d/l the PSN or Playstation.us trailer, it looks MUCH better.

Minor spoilers related to the spoilers above (regarding where the trailer takes place), you can actually see in the trailer that
Kratos is on a Titan because he breaks the chain in a short clip with the bear gauntlets, also there's another big chain in the background in the shot where the skeletons are all over Kratos.

Afrikan

Raist said:
Just quoting myself with this one.

Just check the amount of details in the environments, that's just insane.

take another capture at 00:16 seconds.....it looks so f'n good...and you the sky in the background :O

jett

D-Member
iqd7h2.jpg

This has got to be like...insanely early. Like, not ready to be shown to freaking anyone ready. To be honest I also think they should change his outfit some too, like they did at the beginning of GoW2, but make it more permanent this time. Everything about this trailer was just too similiar to past games, not the graphics, but the action depicted. I hope there's more of an evolution than what this shows.

YYZ

I think maybe Kratos got the boots of Hermes, the messenger of the gods. The light/fire from the shoes reminds me of that, especially with the wall running abilities.

This of course means that you have to fight Hermes. This is just speculation on my part.

Andronicus said:
so stylization wont affect textures and geometry across different IP?.....

that right there made you look like an idiot

by that logic every game, comic or cartoon character should look exactly the same.
they are representing a human model base, thats where the comparison ends.

killzone has always been trying to do a sort of gritty realism (ps2 processing power hampered this with the original game)

god of war is/was not trying to be killzone in ancient mythical greece

there are different art styles, maybe you just don't get it

this is like saying nathan drake looks terrible because his face doesnt look like a wrinkley scrotum like marcus fenix
"art style" which you now refer to as "stylization" should not affect textures and geometry on a HUMAN CHARACTER MODEL attempting to replicate a REAL PERSON (the ONLY difference being skin color), not in these two specific instances, no.

do you notice how i'm not comparing the backgrounds or enemy models or lighting effects, or anything else.

just the character model's of God of War's main character and one of killzone's secondary character. both human (in design). both perfectly acceptable for direct comparison.

but by all means, explain to me why a game set in mythical greece need shoddy texture work, especially when every other technical graphical aspect denotes realism.

Esch

Banned
I wish they would have changed Kratos' appearance a little more.I loved that at the start of GoW2 he had that awesome olympus armor on.. It would have been nice to see the Blades change a little too.

now that looks like painting, cool stuff.

anyway, just want to say this, many people here think that wall running throw thing is just a QTE. well, I just thought that maybe it's actually a real gameplay, just before Kratos start to wall run, his feet glows, I see no reason why his feet should be glowing other than that Kratos have new equipment or artifact that give him some new moves. in this example. the wall run.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
YYZ said:
I think maybe Kratos got the boots of Hermes, the messenger of the gods. The light/fire from the shoes reminds me of that, especially with the wall climbing abilities.

But they are heels.

Maybe he cuts Hermes' feet off.

Raistlin

Mike Works said:
"art style" which you now refer to as "stylization" should not affect textures and geometry on a HUMAN CHARACTER MODEL attempting to replicate a REAL PERSON (the ONLY difference being skin color), not in these two specific instances, no.

do you notice how i'm not comparing the backgrounds or enemy models or lighting effects, or anything else.

just the character model's of God of War's main character and one of killzone's secondary character. both human (in design). both perfectly acceptable for direct comparison.

but by all means, explain to me why a game set in mythical greece need shoddy texture work, especially when every other technical graphical aspect denotes realism.

This is shoddy?

144cheq.png

Onix said:
This is shoddy?

144cheq.png
i was speaking specifically of the texture work on the (main) character model. that's an awful picture to use to display this.

funnily enough, the textures on the foreground environment almost do look like a painting in that screen.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
IMHO, it looks good, and pretty much within what I expected. And by that I mean "filtering through the frothing praise by Jaffe".

Mik2121

Btw, I might be wrong and it could be because of the video compression quality (even though it's at 1080p, but it can be badly compressed), but I'd say they are using a 'painting' filter for the game, in the same line of Linger in Shadows, but on a much lesser amount:

ps3_linger_in_shadows_720p_19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom