• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Mike Works said:
i was speaking specifically of the texture work on the (main) character model. that's an awful picture to use to display this.

funnily enough, the textures on the foreground environment almost do look like a painting in that screen.

As I've already stated, it doesn't make sense to put textures designed for closeups on a character that isn't normally closeup.

Regardless ... you keep bring up KZ2. I think you're forgetting what the textures looked like for it last year.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Corleth the Fey said:
godofwar3vgacapis4.jpg
wait so this means...

THEY SHOWED BOOBS ON TV WTF!?!?!??

just watched the HD trailer on my plasma, and it's much more obvious that jaffe claimed the game "looks like a painting come to life" since that's what they're actually aiming for. they're clearly sacrificing texture crispness for... i dunno, it's hard to explain. almost a "painting filter", if you could call it that.

they have some more work to do, but it looks great in some areas (environment- specifically rocks), acceptable in others (main character model), and poor/distracting in others (certain enemies).

oddly enough, i think they just need to apply it a little bit more... go over that artistic edge and make certain things less realistic, like the flames.

right now, this reminds me of an odd mix of... lets use the last two Zelda games as an example. it's like 95% Twilight Princess and 5% Wind Waker. There are these really subtle artistic implementations (again, mainly the texturework), and I think if they just pushed it a little bit more, they could get the world and the look to blend together better.

really interested to see some new media- specifically from a day environment so i can better judge this.

Cerberus said:
:lol

There is no fucking way anyone could've seen that part on TV and see boobs. It goes to the next scene really quick.

nah, the tv version is probably like the official sony 1080p where they blurred the titties out. I kid you not, they blur the titties just for that 2 or 3 frame they're visible

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Callibretto said:
nah, the tv version is probably like the official sony 1080p where they blurred the titties out. I kid you not, they blur the titties just for that 2 or 3 frame they're visible

:lol they do! I checked :X

WinFonda

Spike TV had a disclaimer that they would be showing footage from M-rated games... but I'm not sure they knew what all that would entail with a God of War game :D

Mik2121

Oh, and for what we should expect texture-worth, I'd say something on this level for the whole game:

gow3texturewall.jpg

I'm talking about the rocks in the background.

EDIT - Mostly the part that's bright because of the sword's shine. I'd say that's pretty nice, even though the picture quality itself is a bit low.

EDIT 2 - Uhm Mike Works posted exactly the same as I did regarding the Painting Filter, and now I posted the same as he said about the quality in the rocks. Lol...

Mike Works said:
just watched the HD trailer on my plasma, and it's much more obvious that jaffe claimed the game "looks like a painting come to life" since that's what they're actually aiming for. they're clearly sacrificing texture crispness for... i dunno, it's hard to explain. almost a "painting filter", if you could call it that.

they have some more work to do, but it looks great in some areas (environment- specifically rocks), acceptable in others (main character model), and poor/distracting in others (certain enemies).

oddly enough, i think they just need to apply it a little bit more... go over that artistic edge and make certain things less realistic, like the flames.

right now, this reminds me of an odd mix of... lets use the last two Zelda games as an example. it's like 95% Twilight Princess and 5% Wind Waker. There are these really subtle artistic implementations (again, mainly the texturework), and I think if they just pushed it a little bit more, they could get the world and the look to blend together better.

really interested to see some new media- specifically from a day environment so i can better judge this.

Woah, a poster on GAF thoughtfully explaining both their likes and dislikes of some new game footage. Where the fuck do you get off buddy?

Mike Works said:
"art style" which you now refer to as "stylization" should not affect textures and geometry on a HUMAN CHARACTER MODEL attempting to replicate a REAL PERSON (the ONLY difference being skin color), not in these two specific instances, no.

do you notice how i'm not comparing the backgrounds or enemy models or lighting effects, or anything else.

just the character model's of God of War's main character and one of killzone's secondary character. both human (in design). both perfectly acceptable for direct comparison.

but by all means, explain to me why a game set in mythical greece need shoddy texture work, especially when every other technical graphical aspect denotes realism.

stylization goes across the board in whatever it is be it comic, game or movie, the characters fit into their specific stylized universes, how hard is that to comprehend?

its like dropping niko belic into the killzone 2, people aren't going to see anything wrong with that? people wont see that this art style doesn't mesh with the killzone 2 art style?

stylization, stylized and art style...... basically all mean the same thing

its pointless to try an explain this to you if you don't get it after that....i suggest go reading an art book or something

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Woah, a poster on GAF thoughtfully explaining both their likes and dislikes of some new game footage. Where the fuck do you get off buddy?
i can't help it MY PS3 IS COVERED IN DUST AND MY XBOX HAS MORE RED RINGS THAN A FACE-FUCKED AARDVARK CAN I GET SOME LULZ UP IN HERE

EXCLUSIVESSSSSSSSSSSS

Mike Works said:

um you mean their choice of art style? God of war 3s stylization?:lol

Andronicus said:
um you mean their choice of art style? God of war 3s stylization?:lol
holy hell, i'm just about done arguing with the guy with a comic book avatar, but read my fucking posts buddy. or i could just summarize them for you.

the entire complaint i have with this footage, the entire centre of my being underwhelmed, is derived from the "inbetween" art style they've presented (thus far).

if they wanted realism in texture work, it's not there.

if they wanted a seemless visual style of a painting, they've failed (with this early footage).

my first complaint was that the main character's texture work didn't look realistic enough (in contrast with Killzone 2's character models, since they're in the upper echelon).

however, after viewing the HD feed (which no one had seen at that point), it started to seem like they might be going for something different. however, it's difficult to tell, since they haven't pulled that off either.

some texturework is crisp, some is smudged (in a good way), some in a bad way. there's no clear definition. it's actually not unlike the latest Prince of Persia in many ways.

regardless, the texturework either isn't good enough to look real or isn't refined/filtered enough to look like a painting.

whichever one of those you want to pick, be my guest.

EschatonDX said:
You have a fucking comic book avatar :lol
that's me, you dick!

anyway, just watched the trailer one more time. i really think they need to push the painting thing a lot harder. right now it still seems like a primarily realistic game with somewhat washed out textures in motion. you simply can't appreciate the look without pausing the game, which just can't work.

i really hope they pull it off though, because the potential is there.

Mik2121

Mike Works said:
holy hell, i'm just about done arguing with the guy with a comic book avatar, but read my fucking posts buddy. or i could just summarize them for you.

the entire complaint i have with this footage, the entire centre of my being underwhelmed, is derived from the "inbetween" art style they've presented (thus far).

if they wanted a seemless visual style of a painting, they've failed (with this early footage).

my first complaint was that the main character's texture work didn't look realistic enough (in contrast with Killzone 2's character models, since they're in the upper echelon).

however, after viewing the HD feed (which no one had seen at that point), it started to seem like they might be going for something different. however, it's difficult to tell, since they haven't pulled that off either.

some texturework is crisp, some is smudged (in a good way), some in a bad way. there's no clear definition. it's actually not unlike the latest Prince of Persia in many ways.

regardless, the texturework either isn't good enough to look real or isn't refined/filtered enough to look like a painting.

Can you tell me what vid are you watching? Because I downloaded the one available on the PSN and the compression wasn't good enough to say it wasn't meant to look like a painting (which is what I'm thinking they are trying, just like Linger in Shadows but less heavy).

Mike Works said:

says the guy with an avatar that has a real person scribled to look like a comic book character..... sorry digressed there a bit

I think you need to re-read your own posts to see exactly how you were coming off.

I was simply trying to point out the flaws of trying to directly compare 2 characters from games with art styles as different as they are, and claiming kratos looked like shit because it didn't look as good as a support character in killzone2.

but i do respect your opinions

Mik2121 said:
Can you tell me what vid are you watching? Because I downloaded the one available on the PSN and the compression wasn't good enough to say it wasn't meant to look like a painting (which is what I'm thinking they are trying, just like Linger in Shadows but less heavy).
i'm watching the 720p video in the PSN store on my plasma tv

Callibretto said:
I really like Zeus gauntlet in CoO, and I thought the consensus here is that's the best GoW weapon outside blade of chaos

some more cap

godofwar3vgacap.jpg

godofwar3vgacap2.jpg

What the hell! Boobs! In the PSN version I got from the US store the boobs are blurred out.

This is the version on PSN. Notice the blurred out booms. Also it is lower quality than the Game Trailers version.

au8c3k.jpg

Mik2121

Mike Works said:
i'm watching the 720p video in the PSN store on my plasma tv
I got the 1080p video from the PSN store on my HDTV (quite new, and it's an Aquos) and while other stuff looks quite sharp and nice, this video has a pretty bad compression because the textures are blurry but depending on the frame, the blurry parts change, so that's not because of the textures, I think.

EDIT - The textures are blurry as well, but on a different way. Like on the wings from the enemy showing in the picture right above this post.

EktorPR

I think people are taking this "looks like a painting" thing from Jaffe a little too seriously. They're also nitpicking the hell out of the trailer.

This is living...in GAF.

Mik2121 said:
Oh, and for what we should expect texture-worth, I'd say something on this level for the whole game:

gow3texturewall.jpg

I'm talking about the rocks in the background.

But you can have that now...

prince.jpg

Of course everyone will disagree with me...oh well whatever.

Mik2121

Nathan Rain said:
But you can have that now...

prince.jpg

Of course everyone will disagree with me...oh well whatever.

Of course you can have it now, even though the style is quite different (the Prince one is a bit more 'comic' style, while the GoW3 one is a bit more like an old painting). Also the amount of detail SEEMS (I can't really say, though) higher on GoW 3's background, but I might be wrong, as I have yet to play both games =)

Mik2121 said:
Of course you can have it now, even though the style is quite different (the Prince one is a bit more 'comic' style, while the GoW3 one is a bit more like an old painting). Also the amount of detail SEEMS (I can't really say, though) higher on GoW 3's background, but I might be wrong, as I have yet to play both games =)

Well it's my GOTY.

I can only hope GOWIII will live up to the same quality in terms of level design and interaction.

Esch

Banned
I have to agree about the texture choice. I hope they upgrade them to something more Killzone and Uncharted 2 quality.

jett said:
iqd7h2.jpg

This has got to be like...insanely early. Like, not ready to be shown to freaking anyone ready. To be honest I also think they should change his outfit some too, like they did at the beginning of GoW2, but make it more permanent this time. Everything about this trailer was just too similiar to past games, not the graphics, but the action depicted. I hope there's more of an evolution than what this shows.

Those are just compression artifacts on his skin hiding the details and making it look patchy. It will be fine.

And look how round his head is! And he has actual features on his face instead of just suggestions of features like the PS2 version.

I think people forget what the PS2 version looked like
gow_chains_demo_img1.jpg

god_of_war_image4.jpg

BeeDog

Wollan said:
Hopefully they will have it running at 60fps like the prequels.

Yeah, could be why a lot of people seem to be disappointed by this trailer. If this game actually manages to look like the trailer at 60fps, then consider me really impressed.

Awntawn

PuppetMaster said:
What the hell! Boobs! In the PSN version I got from the US store the boobs are blurred out.

This is the version on PSN. Notice the blurred out booms. Also it is lower quality than the Game Trailers version.

http://i34.tinypic.com/au8c3k.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Mike Works]i'm watching the 720p video in the PSN store on my plasma tv[/QUOTE]
;o

I think the HD version looks fantastic, when you can actually see the background in the distance and whatnot. And people have nostalgia-vision in terms of how good GoW2 looked. It's funny how when it was first revealed, people said it looked like GoW2 HD... from SD footage and youtube videos.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
you know what i just realized? and this is pretty mindblowing:

spawn and kratos are incredibly similar. no?

i just blew my mind when i realized how much so.

at war with heaven and hell

anti hero

makes a pact with some evil god like force that binds chains of death to their bodies

badass mother fuckers

red cloth

they've both been to hell and back

both use magic

both looking for redemption

wife and daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom