• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Gotta love the off-screen pics, they make the games look just so good.. It would be great..

Hey dawg we heard you like offscreen gaming so we placed a TV on your TV so you can play while you play.

xzibit.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AzerPhire said:
If you are going to quote Ps2 pics at least make sure to get the right version. That is the PSP God of War.
Not the gameplay one.

Jaroof

Kipz said:
Off-screen shots look a lot better than actual screenshots you mean.

That too.
But when I watched it on my TV, it was a lot more clear than watching it on my laptop screen..obviously :p

keyrat

The FMV in God of War always looked a little barren; character models fighting on a scorched earth. The actual game always had more going on in terms of backdrops than the FMVs.

I have a strong feeling that what they've shown is not an indication of what the gameplay will look like.

Wizpig

:lol :lol :lol like a Painting come to life
Oh, Jaffe...
It's going to be
"Halo 2 - Halo 3 -> the improvement of graphics is not so impressive like it was from 1 to 2"
all over again...

Zenith

Banned
neojubei said:
Because when you play poker you do not show your best hand. Maybe they are waiting for E3?

This isn't a game of poker. You do not "win" anything by bluffing your competition.

kevm3

How many times are you guys going to post the painting comment when Jaffe clearly said before the footage being released that the footage they released isn't what prompted him to say the game looked like a painting?

And we've already been through how different God of War can look when fighting normal elements in a swampish setting vs. fighting a boss or exploring the more well-crafted areas.

Anyhow, I seriously hope the game isn't running 1080p. If so, it looks like it was another victim of Blu-Ray marketing. 1080p is pretty much worthless this generation, since 720p will allow you to stuff more detail into a setting. It's not like current gen systems are maxing out 720p, so they need the extra resolution of 1080p.

andycapps

Cruzader said:
is it confirmed that GOWIII will run on 1080P/60FPS or are ppls just assuming?. I hope ppls arent spreading shit.

The old game director, Cory Barlog, stated that near the very beginning of development that GOW3 would be 1080p/60 fps. Realistically, I think he didn't know what he was talking about and probably pissed off the programmers and other team members in speaking very prematurely. I highly doubt this will be 1080p at 60 fps. 720p at 60 fps is much more realistic.

cjdunn

kevm3 said:
Anyhow, I seriously hope the game isn't running 1080p. If so, it looks like it was another victim of Blu-Ray marketing. 1080p is pretty much worthless this generation, since 720p will allow you to stuff more detail into a setting. It's not like current gen systems are maxing out 720p, so they need the extra resolution of 1080p.

petermooreeyeroll.gif

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just want to play the new chapter in the God of War series. Couldn't care less about the graphics at this stage. As long as the gameplay is improved, I'm there.

Cruzader

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I just want to play the new chapter in the God of War series. Couldn't care less about the graphics at this stage. As long as the gameplay is improved, I'm there.

Im there with ya brother. I cant believe this "painting" nonsense. The character model looks great and all so im set, day 1.

even in HD the face in the begining looked a bit blurry, but the face actually showing emotion (the millisecond you see it conform) looks cool. I'm sure it's early also.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the problem with established IPs that are moving from one platform (PS2) to another (PS3) is that even if it looks great, it still 'looks' like the previous version - i.e you have a recognisable character doing recognisable things. there is nothing really 'new'. So it really comes down to graphics. And there, your mind does these wonderful things where you remember it looking real, therefore new screenshots where it looks 'real' are basically just the same as you remember it on an older, less capable platform.

We've all done it - games on 16bit consoles were 'wow, this is like real life'. same thing, just selective memory.

carlosp

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
2utm5c2.pg

Looks like a painting to me. Well, the background does. =\

yes i agree. The BG looks good. I mean i don't care if it is paint or brush as long as it is the good ol' Kratos killing those creatures :D

jett

D-Member
I don't even think this game needs 60fps. I'd be content with 30+motion blur if that means no graphical sacrifices.

Zenith

Banned
kevm3 said:
How many times are you guys going to post the painting comment when Jaffe clearly said before the footage being released that the footage they released isn't what prompted him to say the game looked like a painting?

I don't care about the painting comment, you can just put that down to art style. but he said it was definitely better than Uncharted and maybe Gears2. it's not, it looks as good as any AAA game but certinaly not better. and for this series that's disappointing and not what Jaffe hyped.

and how long are people going to hide behind "but it's the exact same footage!" line? it doesn't worry you that the game's gfx could be that inconsistent? how much difference do you think there can be between builds?

jett said:
I don't even think this game needs 60fps. I'd be content with 30+motion blur if that means no graphical sacrifices.
Nah, I really enjoy watching those Blades of Athena whirling around so smoothly. Especially all the slow-motion stuff that the games do works a whole lot better at 60fps. I agree that it could still be gorgeous and pull off the general look, but there are a few individual parts of the game that would be hurt by dropping to 30fps, imo.

near

Gold Member
Just for the record, this is not what Jaffe saw when he said OMG looks like a painting blah blah blah, he already made this clear. This VGA trailer and what he saw are different, this still looks amazing, but WTF at people boying Jaffe.

Haunted

Zenith said:
I don't care about the painting comment, you can just put that down to art style. but he said it was definitely better than Uncharted and maybe Gears2. it's not, it looks as good as any AAA game but certinaly not better. and for this series that's disappointing and not what Jaffe hyped.
As I said before, it's Jaffe, GoW's kinda like his baby. it's ridiculous to take him by his word, of course he was exaggerating.

Game looks great, like other AAA games. From the short scenes I've seen it's not the best looking PS3 game, but does it really have to? It's good enough.

Ploid 3.0

How about you guys wait until the game is shown off more before you claim David Jaffe was saying it because GoW is his baby. The dude seems like a honest guy and he has nothing to gain from GoW3 praise.

near

Gold Member
Nocebo said:
Looks pretty amazing. I don't know why some people seem underwhelmed.

To be honest this thread was bumped up for no reason. If this trailer was the same thing that Jaffe saw (which it isn't) I'd understand the reason for the bitching, but thats not the case.

Elios83

Nocebo said:
Looks pretty amazing. I don't know why some people seem underwhelmed.

Probably because they expected the game to set a new standard in graphics.
The trailer isn't really impressive if you have that lofty goal in mind. I think they also did a bad choice by showing such a fast paced scene with a dark environment, the action is so fast that it's really difficult to notice the details, infact it's funny that a lot of details are coming out from screen grabs while you can barely tell by the video.
Of course we don't know how early in development the game is and what is their target frame rate and resolution which is essential to understand what they're trying to achieve.
I think this kind of feedback is a good thing in the end, Santa Monica knows people expect more from them.

Nocebo

Airkiru said:
To be honest this thread was bumped up for no reason. If this trailer was the same thing that Jaffe saw (which it isn't) I'd understand the reason for the bitching, but thats not the case.
I guess bored people are sometimes unusually nitpicky.

Ploid 3.0

I don't understand gamers. They want to see early videos, and screens of games that aren't near gold or out of beta(?) and then complain that it don't look like it's ready to ship to them.

Oh no! Joker looks like a normal dude with lame makeup on! They should have got Jack Nicholas to play Joker! Look at that set it's void of any color other than brown..
joker-candid.jpg

10dollas

Banned
and how long are people going to hide behind "but it's the exact same footage!" line? it doesn't worry you that the game's gfx could be that inconsistent? how much difference do you think there can be between builds?

Two words Killzone 2. This serves as a prime example, and keep in mind what we have seen is most definitely a pre-pre alpha build. And lets just add another pre for good measure:lol . In addition, what game in this far in development doesn't have inconsistencies in graphics?

cjdunn

kevm3 said:
Care to tell me what you are rolling your eyes at?

Oh, the usual. Applying the term "worthless" to 1080p when there are a good number of titles that contradict that.

Then there's "allow you to stuff more detail," which could mean anything including increased polygon count, improved textures or post processing filtering, but you just threw "stuff more detail" out there.

And then there's "maxing out" 720p. It's a constant resolution, how do you max that out? [/snark] There are plenty of titles which don't even reach that and simply lean on the hardware's upscaling. Neither console's hardware max capabilities have been fully reached, but there's economics to it. Developers have a limited number of staff and budget to get a title running at target specs.

So,
1080p worthless? No.

There's a balancing act between 1080p vs. 720p vs. even lower resolutions and 60 fps vs. 30 fps vs. even lower, variable framerates and time and money and staff.

It really depends on the tolerance level of the audience for which the title is being targeted. (e.g. I can't imagine the audience for Wipeout HD tolerating anything below 1080p @ 60 fps. Especially with that name).

oldergamer said:
Off screen shots are never accurate. They almost always look better than any other screen shots you can take...
Yeah but if we take Gears 2 for example, the way the game looks on off screen shots is almost the same as when I see it on my TV. So that's why I said "more accurate".

I think the GOW3 footage looks incredible, esp. once you see it in HD.

Interesting that some people seem more interested whether expectations are met rather than how good a game looks/plays.

Neo C.

BeeDog said:
For those who dislike the graphics shown in the GOW3 trailer, if it turns out the game's running in 60fps, will you be content with the current level?
You know, a lot of gamers care more about screenshots than 60fps. It's unfortunate, really. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom