• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

f@luS

More than a member.
what i already saw is better looking than Gear 2 imho. And if its really running at 60, its not a contest

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
I don't even think this game needs 60fps. I'd be content with 30+motion blur if that means no graphical sacrifices.
If the game is 60FPS it would be a huge surprise honestly. I was 99.9 confident they'd be going for 30FPS + object motion blur, like KZ2. But I see no blur like that on the trailer.

It would actually be pretty awesome if they put the control smoothness and responsiveness above the better screenshot quality, as almost noone does that anymore. If any kind of genre needs it, it's this one too.

Ploid 3.0

TheIroning said:
So you find that image visually stimulating, do you?

It's about on par with a wireframe environment and a placeholder skinned Kratos with this on a developers computer. But that's not the point I was getting at. A unfinished product isn't finished.

2vnqrrb.jpg

andycapps

You people complaining about these graphics when the game is at least a year from release must have become really jaded with this generation. This is Sony Santa Monica, for God's sake. They made some of the best looking games on the PS2, what indication is there that they won't do the same for PS3? Aside from the fact that I thought it looked really good, this thing is so far from being done that it's way too early to judge it.

Forsete said:
Crow.. it will be eated.

Yes, it will. I'm bookmarking this thread for future ownage. :lol

Do you really think there won't be amazing environments and scenes all over that game? Even GoW2 still beats most games in that department.

Dever

Banned
I think the scene where Kratos runs on the wall and then fucks up a centaur looks amazing, but the rest... Could they have shown a more boring environment?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I don't doubt Jaffe has seen things we humans wouldn't believe, but the very brief trailer on display, with a bland environment (and with most shots aimed up at a gray sky box to isolate Kratos) was a curiously stupid choice.

It's not that the game is ugly. It's that the teaser was a bore.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
cjdunn said:
Oh, the usual. Applying the term "worthless" to 1080p when there are a good number of titles that contradict that.

Then there's "allow you to stuff more detail," which could mean anything including increased polygon count, improved textures or post processing filtering, but you just threw "stuff more detail" out there.

And then there's "maxing out" 720p. It's a constant resolution, how do you max that out? [/snark] There are plenty of titles which don't even reach that and simply lean on the hardware's upscaling. Neither console's hardware max capabilities have been fully reached, but there's economics to it. Developers have a limited number of staff and budget to get a title running at target specs.

So,
1080p worthless? No.

There's a balancing act between 1080p vs. 720p vs. even lower resolutions and 60 fps vs. 30 fps vs. even lower, variable framerates and time and money and staff.

It really depends on the tolerance level of the audience for which the title is being targeted. (e.g. I can't imagine the audience for Wipeout HD tolerating anything below 1080p @ 60 fps. Especially with that name).

For starters the game looks great no need for 60fps or 1080p, 720p with locked 30fps and vsync enabled will be pretty impressive in it'self.

How about 1080p is worthless for console gaming outside of simple arcade like downloadable games? The fact is neither system has enough memory or bandwidth to properly do 1080p gaming.

720p is really the high end of the sweet spot for this gen everything else is just PR brainwashing.

Tokubetsu

Am I the only one who'd be happy with it as it is right now? GoW on ps2, especially 2 always wowed me not in the sense of graphical frills but just overall scale, clean and beautiful art. I don't have a PS3 and already I'm planning on purchasing one in the new year for this.

Haunted

antiloop said:
I wish the focus was on something else than the graphics.

Damn you Jaffe. :lol
Well, there's not much to say about the gameplay from the short scenes shown. A new weapon, two (mid-?)boss encounters... no HUD or QTE prompt on screen, so we can't say much about how it'll be played.

I think the gameplay will remain largely the same as GoW1 and 2, i.e. awesome. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mike Works said:
i was speaking specifically of the texture work on the (main) character model. that's an awful picture to use to display this.

funnily enough, the textures on the foreground environment almost do look like a painting in that screen.
If you look at another screen posted earlier from the trailer, environment textures are clearly all hand panted, have brush strokes on them and whatnot, with specular/normal maps added on top. I think it looks really cool that way to be honest, it's in spirit of previous GoW games art styles, but much more detailed and better defined. And if you look at that screen, nothing on it really looks low res, texture detail is very well defined, it's just what it is, there's no tons of sub-pixel detail on textures to begin with.

hs59ue.png

Out of curiosity, did you watch the 720p version from SCEA's FTP? The character textures on the closeup actually look pretty detailed in that trailer, except for his shoulder which looks bllurred by the DOF effect. All of that detail is just completely blurred on the Gametrailers HD trailer.

ShOcKwAvE

10dollas said:
Two words Killzone 2. This serves as a prime example, and keep in mind what we have seen is most definitely a pre-pre alpha build. And lets just add another pre for good measure:lol .

A game studio does not debut their game with "pre-pre-alpha" footage. These graphics were a pretty good estimation of what the final version will look like.

Also, do you have a link to the quote where Jaffe or someone else involved with GOW3 says that the build from this teaser is pre-pre alpha? You claim it "most definitely" is, so obviously there has to be a link to back up your claim.

george_us

I think the game looks amazing personally. Kratos himself looks fantastic with improved animation, a good deal more geometry, and some sweet self-shadowing. The texturing also looks pretty awesome, especially on that cyclops Kratos is fighting. Graphically the game lived up to my expectations.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lord Error said:
If the game is 60FPS it would be a huge surprise honestly. I was 99.9 confident they'd be going for 30FPS + object motion blur, like KZ2. But I see no blur like that on the trailer.

It would actually be pretty awesome if they put the control smoothness and responsiveness above the better screenshot quality, as almost noone does that anymore. If any kind of genre needs it, it's this one too.

I really hope that is 60fps. The animation really seemed to indicate it is 60fps, but it's just too hard to tell from a video. I will be truly impressed if it is 60fps.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
There's lightning going on in the background in the trailer, so its safe to assume that they're going to add rain to this level. Probably didn't get around to it yet for this trailer's release. The rain in GoW1's first level is still pretty impressive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TheExodu5 said:
I really hope that is 60fps. The animation really seemed to indicate it is 60fps, but it's just too hard to tell from a video. I will be truly impressed if it is 60fps.
Well, the video is 30FPS, but that's a standard fare for SCEA videos. I don't think they ever published a 60FPS video for any of their 60FPS gmes. SCEE on the other hand does that sometimes.

hs59ue.png

how can anyone not get excited seeing this picture? the real lighting is great like how the light reflected on the ground and wall.

the ground is actually modeled with different elevation by polygon, if it's any lesser game, that ground will just be flat square polygon with texture.

vegetation look damn good, and someone mentioned earlier they're swaying and not static.

lots of enemies in the background with even more complex ground topography and some giant chain.

self shadowing on Kratos look great.

I show the hd trailer to my friend and he's all over it. he said it look like cg and can't believe it's gameplay graphics.

ShOcKwAvE said:
A game studio does not debut their game with "pre-pre-alpha" footage. These graphics were a pretty good estimation of what the final version will look like.

Also, do you have a link to the quote where Jaffe or someone else involved with GOW3 says that the build from this teaser is pre-pre alpha? You claim it "most definitely" is, so obviously there has to be a link to back up your claim.

KillZone 2 E3 2007 graphics pale in comparison to Dec. 2008 graphics, E3 2007 was pre pre alpha.

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:

The video runs at 30fps.

Raistlin

EschatonDX said:
I have to agree about the texture choice. I hope they upgrade them to something more Killzone and Uncharted 2 quality.

I personally don't have an issue with them at this point; granted, I want to see more before committing.

That said, look at where KZ2’s textures were last year versus now.

ShOcKwAvE

gluv65 said:
KillZone 2 E3 2007 graphics pale in comparison to Dec. 2008 graphics, E3 2007 was pre pre alpha.

Do you have a link to someone from Guerilla stating that it was pre-pre alpha? If not, you're just making stuff up.

And I completely disagree that the early graphics pale in comparison. They look practically identical to me.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
ShOcKwAvE said:
Do you have a link to someone from Guerilla stating that it was pre-pre alpha? If not, you're just making stuff up.

And I completely disagree that the early graphics pale in comparison. They look practically identical to me.

It says pre-alpha in all the videos from e3 2007.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ShOcKwAvE said:

How can you not remember the pre-pre-alpha talk? (of course it really was pre-alpha since pre-pre-alpha doesn't really exist and the guy was just trying to emphasize how early in development the game still was)

The early graphics most certainly do pale in comparison. A lot of the textures were terrible back then, now they are all at least decent.

Tideas

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:

the damn video says it's pre-pre alpha

I don't know about the painting comment Jaffe made, but he was right when he said it will set new standards. Looks to be the new standard for console graphics.

AzerPhire said:
If you are going to quote Ps2 pics at least make sure to get the right version. That is the PSP God of War.

First pic is, second pic is GOW 1. LOL GOW PSP looks better than GOW 1 OH NOES!!!!

You people are fucking ridiculous. The game looks great. I can't wait to play it.

Nafai1123

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:

Lol, it said it right there on the footage. What is the point you are trying to make anyways? You can clearly see how much KZ2 has improved since a year ago, and considering Sony has some of the same tech people working on GoWIII, you should expect similar improvements. To assume that this is what the finished game is going to look like is stupid.

ShOcKwAvE said:

I am not impressed at all by the trailer but you must not have seen the comparison shots between the
KZ2 reveal trailer and the newest version it looks like its on a whole new engine.

1pigle.jpg

This shot just looks so bad and I have no idea why they chose to show his character model so up close.
Typically when a developer gives you a good amount of time to see the characters face its to show how
detailed / impressive it looks(KZ2, Heavy Rain) Why Santa Monica thought this looks amazing is beyond
me.

Kosma

Banned
I think the Uncharted 2 trailer looks leagues beyond GOW 3 trailer. My 2 cents.

Now don't get yourself killed in this thread kids.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's almost like the troll comments and the fantards responsible for posting them were copied and pasted directly from the Heavy Rain thread.

Even those individuals have to admit it's pretty foolish to criticize aspects of the game (or any game) that you're speculating may or may not even exist.

And if what Jaffe seriously saw is really impressive stuff and Sony was thinking "okay we have the option to show some seriously underwhelming stuff or use Jaffe's hype as a good jumping off point to blow people
away with the footage he is talking about"

eh...

Lets show the other stuff.

Kosma

Banned
Well maybe it looks impressive after working on Calling All Cars.....

I can't understand how they can release such an underwhelming trailer after PS3 users are used to Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet quality graphics for their 1st party efforts.

Raistlin

ShOcKwAvE said:

Then you have not looked at quality media. There was a substantial improvement in the graphics ... especially texturing.

TheExodu5

Banned
jett said:
The video runs at 30fps.

Which is why I said it's hard to tell from a video. Often times though, a 60fps game is noticeable in a 30fps video, but with all the motion blur in games these days, it's hard to tell. We won't know for sure until we see the actual game or get confirmation from a dev.

Kosma said:
Well maybe it looks impressive after working on Calling All Cars.....

I can't understand how they can release such an underwhelming trailer after PS3 users are used to Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet quality graphics for their 1st party efforts.

I think this looked better than HS visually, and we can be sure as hell the framerate's going to be a hell of a lot better and more consistent, even if it is 30fps.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The video runs at 30fps.
But I know what he means by "animation seemed to indicate it is 60fps". If you go frame by frame, the amount of movement that happens between each frame is huge. The blades swung by Kratos travel almost half the screen between frames. I'd think they'd really have to add some motion blur or at least slow this motion down for a 30FPS game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom