• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessica Chastain Action Movie The Division Lands at Netflix.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Three years ago, in July 2016, we learned that Jessica Chastain would be joining Jake Gyllenhaal in a film based on the popular Ubisoft video game The Division. Two of my favorite actors teaming up for a post-apocalyptic action-thriller? I was pretty excited, to say the least. Two years later, in April 2018, David Leitch (Deadpool 2) signed on to direct, bolstering my anticipation. But since then, it’s been totally quiet… until now.

Earlier today at E3, Ubisoft announced that Netflix has acquired The Division, and as we all know, the streamer picks up projects to make them, not develop them. Now, this is not a low-budget movie, but neither was Bright or Michael Bay‘s upcoming Six Underground starring Ryan Reynolds. Netflix seems willing to take one or two big swings a year, and I can see The Division being the Six Underground of 2020.

Rafe Judkins has been tapped to write the script, and he’s the scribe Amazon has entrusted to created its upcoming series Wheel of Time, based on the acclaimed fantasy novels. In addition to starring, Gyllenhaal and Chastain will produce via their respective companies Nine Stories and Freckle Films, which will be joined by Leitch’s 87North Productions and Ubisoft Film and Television.

Leitch is the director of Deadpool 2, Atomic Blonde and the upcoming Hobbs & Shaw movie starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. That film hits theaters on Aug. 2, arriving exactly one month after Spider-Man: Far from Home, which co-stars Gyllenhaal as Mysterio. As for Chastain’s recent turn in X-Men: Dark Phoenix, the less said, the better.

somerset

There are more of these obscure TV-movie of the game films than one might guess. I don't think any of them have been rated worth watching.

Stuart360

Under the right people, this could be a great 'Escape from New York' style film. Going into a cut off and lawless New York, to find or rescue someone or something.
It will probably be shit though.

I read somewhere that Jake was only attached as a producer, rather than being in it. Is it now confirmed that he's not just producing?

pr0cs

Loved the story in The Division, I know it gets a lot of hate from people who were too lazy to dig into the audio logs/video clips in the game.
It could be a really interesting film hopefully they stick to the game's topic and stay away from the usual SJW baloney that Netflix seems to want to court.

DonJorginho

Banned
By director of Atomic Blond which I very much enjoyed. And Jake is solid too.

Looking forward to it.
Not anymore unfortunately, he has departed the film and it is now being directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber who has directed the likes of:

Skyscraper
We're The Millers
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television

Shmunter

Not anymore unfortunately, he has departed the film and it is now being directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber who has directed the likes of:

Skyscraper
We're The Millers
What what!!

DonJorginho

Banned
What what!!
Yep, was announced on the 26th of Feb sadly, so looks like we're getting one of those kinda films, this guy is also working on Red Notice for Netflix and worked on the masterpiece that is Central Intelligence starring Kevin Hart and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think there’s a rivalry between the Ubisoft games (ghost recon, division, rainbow six) trying a movie will be tough and it’s kinda funny it’s even getting a movie I’m sure division fans are okay with this.

TheMan

Ehhh. I suppose the general premise could be ok but there's nothing genuinely interesting about the plots of the games themselves.

Will probably be a mediocre movie I'll still watch since I'm already subscribed to Netflix but I'll fall asleep for half of it and not bother to rewatch those parts cause i won't care and then I'll never think about it again.

Fbh

On paper it sounds like it could be decent.
But Netflix has this almost uncanny ability of getting well known people to do crappy movies, so I'll keep my expectations low.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Netflix is full of mediocre movies, so this will fit right in.

Can't recommend the Dig enough though.

sol_bad

I really enjoyed Central Intelligence but haven't seen any of the other movies by Rawson Marshall Thurber. Was Skyscraper any good? Will The Rock be in this?

Skyscraper
We're The Millers
Dodgeball is fantastic and you forgot his best credit

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Division stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain, two household names who have incredibly busy schedules. Fortunately, it seems they both have some time set aside for Ubisoft's big movie in 2022. While speaking to The Playlist about Red Notice, his new Netflix film, Thurber explained that he's planning to dive into The Division very soon.

"Yes, absolutely! That's going to be my next movie. We've just finished a rewrite on the script and we're prepping to make it this year. I think, finally having finished Red Notice, I'm going to take a pass on the draft and make some tweaks and then hopefully we'll get going," Thurber explained. "Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain are incredibly committed to the project and passionate about it. I love the game; I've played the game...I keep pinching myself. I can't believe I get the chance to make The Division and I can't wait to start."

jason10mm

Gold Member
That Division short ubisoft made wasn't that bad. The gun handling was top notch for a budget production and the translation of some of the gangs worked pretty well. It's on amazon I think, maybe hulu. So I think there COULD be a good film in there.

But nothing about this project makes me feel that way.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft and Netflix previously confirmed a movie adaptation of The Division was in the works, but recent comments from Kelly McCormick, one of the film's former producers, suggested the movie may not release. McCormick noted that she had heard that the movie was on the back burner and that her production company had stepped away from the project after the real world went through a pandemic. However, things may not be as dire as they seem. Red Notice and The Division director Rawson Marshall Thurber took to Twitter to correct people who thought the movie was canceled. He didn't really elaborate, but did say that reports of the movie being canceled were "incorrect". As of right now, we have no idea when to expect news, but Thurber did tease that we may hear something soon. The director even noted on Twitter in November he might have more to share before the 49ers win the Super Bowl, suggesting possibly before February, but that may have been a joke about the 49ers' chances at making it that far.

Speaking with DiscussingFilm, 87North Productions co-founder and movie producer Kelly McCormick had a disappointing update on the film adaptation. McCormick noted that the producers on The Division left the film behind following COVID due to the premise feeling too heavy at the moment. She noted that they "could find love for it" again and still loves the idea, but heard that it's "sort of on the back burner" at the moment. Whether McCormick and her crew will return to it or someone else will take over remains to be seen, but it seems like it's a distant reality at best right now.

"To be honest, when COVID hit, we left The Division because it felt like it was a documentary," said McCormick. "You know, in the sense that the story deals with this outbreak that happens in real-time, the dangers that occur, and the anxiety that it creates. It was like, "Whoa, this is no longer fun." Like, we literally all just had to go through this in real life. I think we could find love for it again. It's such a cool property and what you could do with the imagery of a team of agents coming in with that kind of post-apocalyptic prospect is really amazing, but we actually did end up letting it go because we got moved away by COVID."

Top Bottom