• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Dean to be 'resurrected' for new Vietnam war drama

Hollywood icon James Dean is due for a cinematic resurrection after it was announced the actor has been “cast” in a Vietnam war drama about military dogs.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, directors Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh have acquired the rights to use the image of the actor – who died in 1955 – from his family in an adaptation of Gareth Crocker’s novel, Finding Jack. The novel follows a soldier who bonds with a labrador called Jack during the conflict, but is ordered to leave the dog behind, along with thousands of others, when the US military pulls out.

The film-makers will use pre-existing film and photographs to create a “full body” CGI version of Dean, with another actor providing his voice.

Ernst told the Hollywood Reporter: “We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role … which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean.”

“We feel very honoured that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact. The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down.”

Dean died aged 24 in 1955 after crashing his Porsche Spyder in California, having completed three lead roles in major films: East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause and Giant, the last two of which were released posthumously.

Source: The Guardian

Romulus

Of course the family is onboard with this. $$$$$

Even if they butcher his likeness most of relatives probably won't care so long as they get a check.

How are they going to pull this off, the last few times I've seen it, looked awful, even in very brief scenes with lighting trickery.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m not offended by it like others are (some of the reactions to Rogue One were ridiculous) but it’s just in this weird limbo.

It’s... really not far away from reanimating and revitalizing his corpse, without his soul, and parading it around on a movie set. It means nothing. It lacks what made the living actor’s performances apparently so special, him.

It’s just kind of interesting that a culture permanently trapped in its own prior loved experiences, often adolescence, that never lets any story or memory end, now is beginning to refuse to let people themselves end.

There’s some actor out there, maybe the next big thing, who will never get this break, because we’re more concerned with finding bigger and flashier ways to never let go of anything, rather than embracing the future and new things, and letting the past sink into fond memories, where it belongs.

On the other hand, maybe it’s a nice form of immortality? A way to celebrate and remember someone, in sparing doses? Even if there’s a clear divide between their living work, and their likeness work.

bitbydeath

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I say go for it, so long as his heirs or relatives give the ok. This is really just a new kind of animation. Im all for seeing it.

If anything it will help keep him relevant. People will go back and watch his real work due to this stunt “casting”.

GAMETA

Banned
They should find an actor with similar head shape and use deepfake techniques too.

Inexpensive and has been producing great results.

This isn't offensive, it's just plain fucking stupid.

What's wrong with casting someone else in the role? Besides, it completely breaks immersion when badly CG'd or de-aged actors show up. I think Sean Young in Blade Runner 2049 has been the only one that looked natural, and that's mostly because they kept her deadpan through her entire appearance.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
digital Peter Cushing & Carrie Fisher in Rogue One was an interesting case. Cushing especially because he starred in so many Hammer horror and other dark fantasy films, Creature Features, b-movies, etc. often the monsters in these films were a big special effects production, and they were iconic. at first, monsters were people wearing makeup and masks. for instance Boris Karloff, whose face and bone structure is crucial to the public's imagination of Frankenstein. Christopher Lee's face was synonymous with Dracula. the golden eras of Hollywood were all about star power.

soon enough Stop Motion Animation came into use, Ray Harryhausen and others created new production techniques that when used alongside puppets and miniatures could create illusory monsters. stars that needed no actors to be portrayed. CGI is just the hyper advanced tech version of once physical animation. it is kind of ironic and also poetic that we now go back to trying to capture the face of actors once again.

TBH i am glad for this. i see the whole Comic Book fad to be anti-actor, since actors can be replaced so long as a character lives on, all that is really required is the costume, the human portraying the character is not so significant. yet here, the actor himself is the character, so it is more respectful of the actor themselves. it will not replace the original person's performances, but it can iterate upon them. it might be weird and kind of creepy, but I am interested in seeing what they do with this new form of animation.

Last edited:

gela94

This totally sucks, tell me one reason that they do this that says it's not about the :pie_moneyface: No respect for anything anymore.

Top Bottom