• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn on Superman: "the character will not be played by Henry Cavill"

Toons

Banned
Clowns? Feck off.

I was a Superman fan from the very beginning even during the Reeve years.

Perhaps there's people who like the way Cavill came across as Superman and how the character was being portrayed in the Snyderverse.

People are allowed to have their opinions and growing attached to an actor for the role is not uncommon or alien.

Theres a difference between getting attached to a portrayal and saying 'theres no superman without Henry cavill" which im seeing a lit of.

It's just an actor. He got screwed but it is what it is

jason10mm

Gold Member
You should watch peacemaker if you think he's failed.

Ta nesti Coates movie is still on
I find that almost impossible to believe. How can they be canning stuff they KNOW sorta works, dump stuff that they KNOW strays too far from the expected (like Batgirl apparently), but still want to push a J.J. project that is virtually guaranteed to be a PR shitshow?

I think they fully intend to cancel it, they just want to space out the news or just hope it withers away on it's own.

Corpsepyre

Banned
What an incredibly embarassing charade they've put Cavill through. jeez. Fuck James Gunn and his Donner worshiping ass and Warner Bros in general. It's good he is out, tbh.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How is a young Clark Kent in Metropolis not an origin story? It'll just be a more subtle one.

It's not starting in Smallville... He's already Superman... already at the Daily Planet...So no, not an origin story.

Last edited:
It's very hard to get classic Supes right. You have to be dramatic, but not overwrought. You need dangerous action, but not to the point of ugly violence. There's a bit of humor, but a lot of sincerity. Just like Superman himself, the director needs to be a master who can juggle all this, and that's why it's so hard to make a good Big S movie. James Gun, class clown. Snyder, angry metalhead loner. Neither are good fits to tell story of Mr. charming quarterback jock who disguises himself as a bumbling straight A nerd.

I say get Brad Bird to direct it. The Incredibles, Iron Giant, and MI: Ghost Protocol show he's just about perfect for the job. Great storyteller, knows big set piece action, knows sincerity, clear Superman fan, into golden age comics, and can do funny. There's no better man for the job.

Theres a difference between getting attached to a portrayal and saying 'theres no superman without Henry cavill" which im seeing a lit of.

It's just an actor. He got screwed but it is what it is

I agree with you. It stings that he got dropped like that because there were many of us looking forward to him in Man Of Steel 2 or something.

Will see where they go with all this and who they cast. I'm super bummed but like you say 'it is what it is'.

Trilobit

I agree with you. It stings that he got dropped like that because there were many of us looking forward to him in Man Of Steel 2 or something.

That's what messed up for me. I was entertained by MoS 1 and was eagerly waiting for the sequel. Instead they bombarded us with some subpar teamups that did not feel earned. There should have been a standalone Batfleck movie and MoS2 before they even contemplated any versus stories

Had the studio not been so stressed out and had built up everything properly then maybe it could have become something great. Now they are forced to do that exact thing, from scratch, many years later. smh

j0hnnix

Gold Member
giphy.gif
Supermayne

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They ought to say they changed their minds, Hire Cavill again, make him announce his return and force him to quit this Warhammer thing and then cancel Superman.

Might as well go all in if they're aiming for disaster.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah, great job Mister Gunn, clearly the best decision you could made. Right? Right????

FkHMrDUWAAAGEkD

The fanbase was divided and fractured, now it's gonna be even worse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, great job Mister Gunn, clearly the best decision you could made. Right? Right????

FkHMrDUWAAAGEkD

They're still in a period of transition. They're a massive company making some much needed changes. I knew there would be some ups and downs financially. This will pass and things will get better. I saw the same thing with other companies that went through changes like these.

gothmog

Gold Member

FkHMrDUWAAAGEkD

Meh. The fanbase is part of the reason the DCEU sucks so they should be abandoned like the rest of the DCEU. Gunn's challenge here is keeping outsiders from fucking with his vision and this was the first test. Seems like he may have passed it but it's only going to get worse from here on out. WB is so fucking broken but survives on the strength of some of it's properties. Batman alone prints money at a scale most companies dream of.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
They're still in a period of transition. They're a massive company making some much needed changes. I knew there would be some ups and downs financially. This will pass and things will get better. I saw the same thing with other companies that went through changes like these.
I dunno, I think a lot of people (fans) are just tired to see WBD messing with almost EVERYTHING they made, since 2016.

By now we could have got a Green Lantern movie, New Gods, JL 2, Man of Steel 2, a Cyborg movie, Battfleck movie etc etc... I mean, WHAT THE FUCK? DC "fans" not excited by this? GTFO.
"OH NO, SUPERMAN IS QUESTIONNING HIMSELF??? HOMAGAD BURN IT!!"
Congrats, you will get you Superman, Marvel style.

It's gonna be young Clark (yeah we get it, not an origin story. Still a very, VERY young Superman, who cares?
We saw this countless time, and most likely better than what Gunn will pull out)

So, I'm just gonna sit and watch DC/Gunn do shitty movies. And with another reboot in 20 years, maybe I'll live long enough to see Darkseid again?

Edit: also, guess when was the peak?

FkHRMOqWYAE13ws
FkKHIdnXkAAU4Pd

Yeah, when Zack Snyders Justice League was released.

unknown.png

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is even worse than I thought, GG James you are killing it (literally) with your new plan:

It‘s almost as if periods of instability in companies is bad for stock prices, and good news is good for stock prices.

Will you be back here in January with the same chart, after Gunn and Safran have announced their plans, and WBD’s stock price jumps, as they always do after such announcements? Probably not.

Last edited:

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Honestly I saw this as inevitable as the current state of DC movies is a black hole for money.

I just hope they aren't going to make questionable decisions for this upcoming young Superman.

Pimpbaa

Oh god, I hope they don’t replace Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. If that happens, I’ll never fap again *sniff*.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It‘s almost as if periods of instability in companies is bad for stock prices, and good news is good for stock prices.
I'm glad you agree that the departure of Cavill is a bad news 😁

Will you be back here in January with the same chart, after Gunn and Safran have announced their plans, and WBD’s stock price jumps, as they always do after such announcements? Probably not.
You are free to post (if it is indeed the case) but that doesn't change my point. WBD has been on a high when ZSJL released, and on a low since they moved from the already existing universe.
Of course not, because their plans don't involve resurrecting a certain universe.
You know you can say the word "Snyderverse" right, it's not gonna conjure Zack Snyder into your house.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You are free to post (if it is indeed the case) but that doesn't change my point. WBD has been on a high when ZSJL released, and on a low since they moved from the already existing universe.

So that’s a no, then.

Using stock price changes as a defence for the Snyderverse is possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. Did it occur to you that the stock went that high because of rumours around the discovery merger? And not because of a straight to streaming movie that didn’t perform well in the end anyway?

Also, if stock prices were an indicator of how popular a single movie is, why wasn't the WB stock price sky high during the period that the Harry Potter and Dark Knight movies were smashing box office records everywhere? Why no massive spikes like the one you’re claiming happened because of the snydercut , for Disney stock when The Avengers movies came out?

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

More stupid comic book universe shit. Why can't they just focus on making a single good movie at a time instead? The MCU is dying too so it's not like it's an infinite source of cash. Good luck "building that universe" clowns. Doubt people will bother with this episodic shit in the current decade.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I wonder what would happen if his Superman movie do less than Black Adam. And judging by the fact that Superman "is not a fun playground to tell stories" (James Gunn own words a year ago) I'm pretty sure it's gonna suck. Time will tell.
So that’s a no, then.

Using stock price changes as a defence for the Snyderverse is possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. Did it occur to you that the stock went that high because of rumours around the discovery merger? And not because of a straight to streaming movie that didn’t perform well in the end anyway?

Also, if stock prices were an indicator of how popular a single movie is, why wasn't the WB stock price sky high during the period that the Harry Potter and Dark Knight movies were smashing box office records everywhere? Why no massive spikes like the one you’re claiming happened because of the snydercut , for Disney stock when The Avengers movies came out?
I'm not using it to defend the Snyderverse, I though it was damn funny tho

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ah yeah I forgot you're acting like you are on Twitter.

To be fair, that gif is pretty much the start of it all turning to shit. Snyder should have had someone providing more oversight on what he was doing (no, Nolan wasn't doing it, he was off prepping Interstellar) then he wouldn't have kept dumb shit like that in his movie. Things could have been very different. I blame the executives who gave him free rein more than I do Snyder these days, but it was his vision that hamstrung the DCEU before it even got started.

Kenpachii

Smear campaign has launched.

Sadly for those clowns it makes him even look better.

Dude basically is a gamer, didn't wanted to do sex scenes or romantic scenes, tried to rewrite script to fit it more to the source material.

Absolute joke of a post its now been deleted. Also try to scoop him in being toxic because why not and canon ( some real passive aggressive shit ).

What a joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom