• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. EGM - Scores and Rumors

Vangellis

Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.

Very clever.

C4Lukins

Dascu said:
Disappointed with the Elebits score.
Katamari for the Wii? Bring it on.

Katamari would actually be great for the Wii. Nunchuck to walk around the ball, and tilt up and down to roll backwards and forwards. Flick the wrist for a speed burst, A button to do a 180. One of the few cross platform type games I think I would be most interested in for the Wii over the more powerful systems.

Firestorm

king zell said:
Wii
Zelda (Platinum) Jeremey - 10 Crispin - 10 Shane - 10 Game of the Month

PS3
Resistance (Silver) Garnett 8.5 G. Ford 8.0 Joe 9.0

XBOX360
Gears of War (Gold) - Shoe 10 Bryan 9.5 Andrew P. 9.0

War of the Titans over.

1st: Zelda
2nd: Gears
3rd: Resistance

LevelNth

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
Shane reviewed Zelda for EGM? According to 1up Yours, he's only in the second or third dungeon as of this past Friday. I can't imagine he saw much of the game at all in time to make this print deadline. Or is there another Shane?
Are you sure you heard it right? That would be pretty funny if true though. Not that it'd matter of course, Zelda getting a Platinum is not exactly a surprise, especially after WW.

So I'm guessing elebits is little more than a giant sandbox of interactivity and no deeper than a game of hide-and-seek?

IGN seemed so impressed by it too.

Hmmmm......

Can't wait to read the review.

Foil

Count the COMs - three new SOCOM games are in the works. One on PSP and two on PS3

2 on PS3? They need to stop milking this series. Hopefully they can actually figure out a way to make a Socom with a good smooth framerate. ... well yah, I doubt it.

-Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.

I like this idea.

-Rare is working on a Viva Pinata Kart racing game.

What a waste.

-NFL may drop EA once it's contract expires in a few years.

Yeah right. :lol

EA needs that NFL contract more than anything. NFL is greedy and wants their money.
Just go back to allowing multiple companies to make NFL games.

ethelred

Amused_To_Death said:
Other than Zelda, very average scores for most of the Wii games...

Yeah. Though I definitely disagree with the score for Trauma Center, which is the only other one I've played. This game is seriously underrated.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DMczaf said:
Yeah, and the NFL is going to drop their exclusive contract with DirecTV after it expires too because they hate money!

I hate you.... cause this is true! <sob>

Kittonwy

Banned
Foil said:
2 on PS3? They need to stop milking this series. Hopefully they can actually figure out a way to make a Socom with a good smooth framerate. ... well yah, I doubt it.

Why not? The hardware is way better now, it's not like the framerate was really bad in Socom 3 given how huge the environments were. Maybe they're finishing up 4 and 5 just started? Who knows.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
wtf at their Wii scores though.

The feedback about Madden and Wii Sports has been excellent. And Elebits seemed to be getting good vibes from IGN. Given the fact that so many of the "pro" sites/mags failed to realise the depth to the Wii Sports games...I'm not sure how reliable their reviews are going to be in the early stages of Wii's life.

jacktion

Banned
EGM is still living in the past. These scores are pretty much what I would expect from a hardcore narrow-minded game "journalist". They hate the new nintendo direction and they will punish them accordingly! They love fps's. Even mediocre ones like Resistance. They love Zelda. But they hate new ideas like Wii Sports. Even though it is the best game that I have played this year. Countless people are totally in love with Wii Sports and it is a new paradigm in gaming. EGM can't understand that and it reveals their immature mindset.

Odysseus said:
NFL Network!

I could see the rumor of dropping EA being true. NFL Interactive confirmed!!!!!

Seriously, what if the NFL started up it's own videogame studio and lured the best from 2k and Tiburon to it.

skip

jacktion said:
EGM is still living in the past. These scores are pretty much what I would expect from a hardcore narrow-minded game "journalist". They hate the new nintendo direction and they will punish them accordingly! They love fps's. Even mediocre ones like Resistance. They love Zelda. But they hate new ideas like Wii Sports. Even though it is the best game that I have played this year. Countless people are totally in love with Wii Sports and it is a new paradigm in gaming. EGM can't understand that and it reveals their immature mindset.

in the PS3 vs. Wii showdown, the Wii won unanimously.

get over it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jacktion said:

While you're at, why dont you call out all the other venues that gave Wii Sports an average score?

BTW, a 5 on the EGM scale is considered average.

NeonZ

Odysseus said:
I'll have you know Diddy Kong Racing is the best game Rare ever made.

DKR was good, but Rare also made that crappy Mickey racing game near the end of the 64's life span, didn't they?

Tieno

skip said:

get over it.
Hehhee
ownedtwicexy012a95b8akq1.jpg

farnham

Banned
to be fair.. now im having the wii and wii sports.. and i would not give it a good score at all.. this does not mean i hate the game or anything.. it is great.. but there is a lack of options that is really hurting..

the game is soo fun that it makes you wonder why nintendo missed out to put in some more options .. it would have made the game so much better.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MrSardonic said:
wtf at their Wii scores though.

The feedback about Madden and Wii Sports has been excellent. And Elebits seemed to be getting good vibes from IGN. Given the fact that so many of the "pro" sites/mags failed to realise the depth to the Wii Sports games...I'm not sure how reliable their reviews are going to be in the early stages of Wii's life.

:lol

king zell said:
PS3
Resistance (Silver) Garnett 8.5 G. Ford 8.0 Joe 9.0
Ridge Racer 7 - 8.0 6.5 6.0

what a bunch of bullshit. Obviously neither of these games are 'perfect score' games, but Resistance should have been 9.0 across the board... and a 6.0 for RR7? Come on...

RSP

alltough this is a no-brainer;

-Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.

Nintendo won. right there.

MoxManiac

jacktion said:

Sounds like they like actual full games with lots of content vs bundles of minigames.

jacktion said:
EGM is still living in the past. These scores are pretty much what I would expect from a hardcore narrow-minded game "journalist". They hate the new nintendo direction and they will punish them accordingly! They love fps's. Even mediocre ones like Resistance.

I see.

goldenpp72

I would just like to say that if they do a viva pinata racer, I probably will not buy it because it will PROBABLY be based on the cartoon show, I just dont see how it could be otherwise.

Rare needs to make a RARE cart racer which has their cast in their element, not a cash in.

Turning War Around - Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009.

Interesting if true. November 2008 seems like a reasonable time to expect a sequel to Gears of War. They already have the engine so it won't take nearly as much time to create.

Viva Pinata...karts? Considering Viva Pinata bombed hard last month, I'm suprised MS is so keen to see anything else done with that IP so soon.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
skip said:

I think they only did that to avert a fanboy rampage. I'm pretty sure they hate the Wii...how else do you explain them giving Red Steel such shit scores? EGM cant be trusted

Odysseus

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Viva Pinata...karts? Considering Viva Pinata bombed hard last month, I'm suprised MS is so keen to see anything else done with that IP so soon.

It would be a much better use of that IP than the current game. This would potentially be a more accessible game for the same audience of the cartoon.

goldenpp72 said:
I would just like to say that if they do a viva pinata racer, I probably will not buy it because it will PROBABLY be based on the cartoon show, I just dont see how it could be otherwise.

Rare needs to make a RARE cart racer which has their cast in their element, not a cash in.

I feel kind of the same way. BUT I think the level design and graphical stunnery will offset the incredibly (INCREDIBLY) annoying voice work in a Viva kart game.

*beep beep*
"Uh, hey dude. Like, watch out!"
"Ohhh boy, I'm s-s-s-so NERVOUS."

Euuugh.

J-Rzez

king zell said:
-Count the COMs - three new SOCOM games are in the works. One on PSP and two on PS3.

-NFL may drop EA once it's contract expires in a few years.

GREAT NEWS right there... but why 2 games on the PS3?

Pellham

Banned
jacktion said:

I don't think you can assume that based on scores alone, you need to read the actual review text (which won't be posted here).

Average scores for Wii Sports may simply be due to the fact that although the game is a brilliant tech demo, it is rather short lived in terms of content. There is only so many times you can play the games. All of the major publications are likely reserving their high scores for games that provide a lot more content/longevity. Giving a 9 to a game that just provides some innovation and nothing else is a bit silly.

LukeSmith

Jonnyboy117 said:
Shane reviewed Zelda for EGM? According to 1up Yours, he's only in the second or third dungeon as of this past Friday. I can't imagine he saw much of the game at all in time to make this print deadline. Or is there another Shane?

When he wrote his review, Shane had played 53 hours of the game. We've been making fun of Shane's SLOW speed through Zelda on 1UP Yours -- both he and Greg Ford play Zelda excruciatingly sloth-like. That's more likely what you are thinking of.

goldenpp72

Well see, the way the pinata sound in the game works perfectly for the type of game it is, but those same sound effects wouldnt be exciting or fun enough for a kart racer (ala mario kart and crash team racing), so they would use the stupid kid show as a basis for it most likely, making it not feel like a rare product, but a stupid THQ level product.

One thing I love about rare is their style, humor and mood, if the kart game were like the cartoon it would probably be bad.

Oh well, hopefully it turns out well if it happens, I have 1000/1000 for all 3 rare titles on 360 and I hope to keep this trend going.

Ristamar

I'm surprised by the Madden scores, though if I had to guess, I bet a point or was docked simply because 3/4 of the season is already over. 1up wasn't overly fond of Trauma Center, so I can't say those scores are unexpected. Wii Sports... well, it is underappreciated, IMO, but judging it as a $40 title, I can see why it might not fair so good.

joeposh

king zell said:
from 1up board

Wii
Madden 07 - 6.5 6.0 4.5

What in the... are they insane? I know that barely anyone takes EGM scores seriously anymore, but Madden Wii is a fantastic, fully developed game. I bought it on whim as part of a "buy one, get one half off deal" since they didn't have anything else that interested me, and it has quickly become the favorite Wii title in my apartment. The multiplayer mini game mode alone is worth the price of admission... and it controls beautifully. I really will be interested to see how they could justify that score (the graphics must have been a large factor, but having the 360 version, they didn't really bother me.

Anyone else think it's a bit early to do a Wii/PS3 comparison? Both systems are out, yes, but both have shit games (except for Zelda/Resistance), i would have waited until at least next year to see how both develop to get a better idea of which one's better.

Top Bottom