• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. EGM - Scores and Rumors

Fady K

Zelda (Platinum) Jeremey - 10 Crispin - 10 Shane - 10 Game of the Month

Well, if Windwaker was a .5 away from getting a perfect score at EGM, i guess this is understandable. A perfect game, this is not. Better than wind waker, it is.

Elebits - 7.0 4.0 4.5

Oh noes...

Trauma Center - 6.5 7.5 7.0

What the??????

Resistance (Silver) Garnett 8.5 G. Ford 8.0 Joe 9.0

Deserves higher!

Ridge Racer 7 - 8.0 6.5 6.0

Hmm....

PS3 vs Wii winner - Wii (I'm shocked. Haven't read this article yet, but they all pick Wii.)

Big deal, the PSP beat the DS when they had a showdown in EGM.

Gears of War (Gold) - Shoe 10 Bryan 9.5 Andrew P. 9.0

Nice!

Call of Duty 3 - 6.5 7.0 7.0

A little too low?

Rainbow Six Vegas (Silver) - 8.5 7.0 8.5

What???

SOCOM - 6.0 6.5 8.0

Bitches...

Sonic Rivals - 3.0 6.0 3.0

THAT bad?

Vice City Stories (Silver) - 9.0 8.5 9.0
Portrait of Ruin (Silver) - 8.0 9.0 9.0
FF V (Silver) - 9.0 9.0 8.5

Hurray!

-Turning War Around - Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009.

Who didnt see this coming??

-Rare is working on a Viva Pinata Kart racing game.

Yet another Rare game im not gonna look forward to.

Odysseus

Banned
plagiarize said:
but it was a game FIRST. it's a game ip, that was licensed to be made into a show.

the show fails to reach the audience that the game appeals to... not the other way around. it's not like microsoft or rare paid for the IP. it's their ip to do with what they want.

The game is meant to bring in kids to the 360 audience. That's the only reason the game exists. The game fails miserably at that, as it is hardly a kid-friendly game. A cutesy racer would be better.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I don't think EGM equates a 10 with a game being perfect. I think I've heard them comment in the past that a 10 represents a game that is as good as it gets in the current time period. I think that would definitely apply to Zelda.

goldenpp72

Actually according to rare, they just made the game how they wanted to make it, microsoft didnt go up to them and say 'zomg make kids luv 360'

Microsoft merely tried (and has failed thus far) to take a concept and merchandise it for success.

Amir0x

Banned
kenta said:
That's what the internet would have you believe, isn't it?

I think that sorta optimism faded after the device's true limitations came to light... everyone knew some things would be good with it, and others wouldn't after E3.

Odysseus

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Actually according to rare, they just made the game how they wanted to make it, microsoft didnt go up to them and say 'zomg make kids luv 360'

Microsoft merely tried (and has failed thus far) to take a concept and merchandise it for success.

At the least, it's a game made for adults, marketed to kids, and bought by no one. A different style game might be able to salvage the IP. Again, I just want a fricken cart racer. Haven't had one in years. Double Dash was oh so bad. :(

Deku

Banned
Kiriku said:
What if I we assume someone doesn't like Animal Crossing, or want to play it? Would Animal Crossing be the only way to actually get access to these shirts and accessories then? They might as well release a "Mii clothing" pack for download or something. But I guess this will ensure more money made for them...even though they could just charge money for a download.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Mii Crossing might come as a downloadable game that sits in the Wii as a channel, the game can then be expanded into a 'full version' via other downloads and or a game disc.

Or the basic Mii Crossing might come as a budget priced game to encourage lots of people to buy it and or bundled in with another game (less likely).

The way this rumour is supposed to suggest that things will be transferrable through various games would tend to suggest Nintendo making it virtually free or very cheap to get a large installed base right away and get the network effects going. They've done it before with hardware, such as the RAM expansion and Rumble Pack being bundled in with games for a small premium.

goldenpp72

Well I think the problem with viva pinata is pretty clear. First off, the 360 is an expensive device, second off, the viva pinata cartoon may be enjoyed by many kids, but I dont see this 'fandom' for the show like I see with things like pokemon or yu gi oh, more like 'its fun to watch' and thats it. At this point, you have a game that is not very kid friendly on an expensive machine that is trying to use a show in order to sell it, a show that is only mildly popular.

The only hope pinata had was hitting the hardcore 'nintendo' audience, unfortunatley microsoft had the brilliant idea of launching pinata 2 days after a little title like gears of war, sabotaging even that possibility.

I think the thing im annoyed with, I dont give a shit of some no name dev makes a crappy kart racer out of the ip to try and garner popularity, but id rather rare work on something like say, a racer that has kameo, conker, joanna, sabrewulf, banjo, some pinatas, etc, and not a show cash in ala that micky mouse title on n64.

Oh well.

Ranger X

king zell said:
Wii
Elebits - 7.0 4.0 4.5
Trauma Center - 6.5 7.5 7.0

Rumors
-Sticky Balls - New Katamari for Wii, PS3 and Xbox Live arcade.
-Mii Crossing - Mii's will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. All the shirts and accessories you collect will cross over to other games.
-Hudsun is releasing a TG16 pack with 3D remakes of Bonk, Adventure Island, and Super Star Soldier for the PS2.

"No. This cannot be. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!"

if you also get the reference you're a real gamer

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you know, i never got around to importing the remakes of adventure island or bonk. good to hear that they're being compiled. star soldier was good stuff, anyway, particularly in its psp version.

Amused_To_Death said:
Other than Zelda, very average scores for most of the Wii games...

Yeah, because the Wii launch had so many excellent games besides Zelda. I think the scores are pretty fair aside from Wii Sports. It's a launch. What do you expect? At least it's better than the PS2 "Hey, wait a minute, these games are all completely middle of the road" launch.

Shawn said:
An 8.0 for Resistance?

WTF?!

Seriously. Lower than 9 for a game that does just about everything real well seems odd enough to me, but as low as an 8.0? That doesn't make much sense no matter which way you slice it.

Mifune

Mehmber
AltogetherAndrews said:
Those scores from Resistance are pretty damned low. Anyone here who has actually played the game extensively agree with an 8.0 for this one?

So you haven't even played the game, but you're trying to discredit the opinion of someone who has?

This place should really be renamed Scores-Age.

Mifune said:
So you haven't even played the game, but you're trying to discredit the opinion of someone who has?

I've played it through twice, and I've also played through certain levels 3-6 times now. I know how I feel about the game, hence why I'm asking if anyone else who has played it extensively agrees with that score.

Ranger X said:
"No. This cannot be. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!"

if you also get the reference you're a real gamer

Oh yeah, I remember who said that.

...every villain in every game, movie, and comic book ever.

While I'm at it, I'm going to guess Starfox 64.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Musashi Wins! said:
haha, no you didn't.
Well I know my tastes well enough to not give in to the hype, but it's kinda like sitting around a pool in a lounge chair watching a bunch of kids get so freaking excited to jump into the pool and swim around to the point where they're dancing in anticipation and screaming to each other about how fun it will be, only to see them all jump in and realize the water was pretty much just like all the other pools they'd already been in

I don't mean for that to be a stealth troll or whatever, that's just honestly what it feels like. And I know I'm only talking about EGM scores and only talking about launch games, which is pretty narrow-sighted, so no offense intended

Mifune

Mehmber
AltogetherAndrews said:
I've played it through twice, and I've also played through certain levels 3-6 times now. I know how I feel about the game, hence why I'm asking if anyone else who has played it extensively agrees with that score.

My mistake. All apologies and that.

The point about Scores-Age stands, though.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mifune said:

I have played it (finished the SP campaign on medium) and I think 8 is too low, nothing to do with discrediting someone's opinion, I just disagree with it, it might not be a visual feast in the beginning but it does basically everything right gameplay-wise, of the two biggest shooters this winter, both of which I've finished, Resistance is simply more enjoyable to play.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

I don't agree with the score either. I understand that Resistance is THE big launch title for the PS3, it will get scrutinized for every flaw it has but the notion that the game has to somehow revolutionize the genre to be deserving of a 9 is just a tad unrealistic, none of the big three actually revolutionized their respective genre in any way, gameplay additions? Yes. Revolutionary features? No. What I'm concerned about is games like Motorstorm might possibly get the same treatment, instead of focusing on what the game manages to achieve, it will be scrutinized for every flaw it has and those will be amplified and the game will get penalized for them, because the game isn't 4D, so to speak.

White Man

That Rainbow 6 score is criminal. The game takes a massive dump on Gears of War. And the Zelda score is too high, although I guess it needs to score higher than WW, and tehre was nowhere else to go but straight 10s. Of course that proves nothing except that WW was massively overrated.

Soul4ger

There are plenty of FPS games that do what they set out to doand they do it well. Considering all the new entries in the genre, all the time, maybe it's time to start looking for them to do stuff DIFFERENTLY, not just WELL? Or maybe my expectations are unrealistic or too high, to expect creativity? Are we supposed to give Resistance a pass on whatever it DOESN'T do, just BECAUSE it's a launch game? Besides, an 8.0 translates to "Great" anyway. What difference does it make?

Scoot said:
When he wrote his review, Shane had played 53 hours of the game. We've been making fun of Shane's SLOW speed through Zelda on 1UP Yours -- both he and Greg Ford play Zelda excruciatingly sloth-like. That's more likely what you are thinking of.

Thanks for clearing that up. I may have gotten him and Ford confused when you were talking about both on the podcast.

AniHawk

White Man said:
That Rainbow 6 score is criminal. The game takes a massive dump on Gears of War. And the Zelda score is too high, although I guess it needs to score higher than WW, and tehre was nowhere else to go but straight 10s. Of course that proves nothing except that WW was massively overrated.

How far did you play into TP? Not getting defensive or anything. Just wondering.

VALIS

If R6 Vegas was an original game instead of another game in a heavily used franchise universe, it would be getting scores as good or better than Gears and Resistance. It might be the best "technical shooter" ever, it just doesn't have the action movie flash of Gears or Resistance.

kenta said:
Surprisingly low Wii scores, Zelda aside. Honestly pretty startling.

As someone who owns every Wii game except Red Steel, those scores are high if anything. Raving Rabbids is like a 5.0 game. TH Downhill is another piece of junk.

Soul4ger said:
There are plenty of FPS games that do what they set out to doand they do it well. Considering all the new entries in the genre, all the time, maybe it's time to start looking for them to do stuff DIFFERENTLY, not just WELL? Or maybe my expectations are unrealistic or too high, to expect creativity? Are we supposed to give Resistance a pass on whatever it DOESN'T do, just BECAUSE it's a launch game? Besides, an 8.0 translates to "Great" anyway. What difference does it make?

Resistance adds more to the genre than just about any other shooter of 2006 due to an arsenal that is certainly uniquely creative to the genre at this point. It does a bunch of different stuff, throws it into an FPS highlight reel with great production values all around. Technically I don't have a problem with reviewers criticizing games for doing nothing new (although as mentioned above, I'd contest that notion in the first place) assuming originality is a burning need for the persons scoring the games, but somehow I doubt this line of criticism will be applied across the board. I guess we'll see when the next big time shooter comes out that sacrifices fundamental originality in favor of delivering a highly polished FPS based on existing standards.

Meier

Amir0x said:
Certainly not! It's just a terrible videogame, and I don't like things which are terrible!

GTFO. Wii Sports might not be very full-featured, but it's far from terrible. It's right up there with the best 4-player experiences in video game history.

VALIS said:
As someone who owns every Wii game except Red Steel, those scores are high if anything. Raving Rabbids is like a 5.0 game. TH Downhill is another piece of junk.

Whoa! I played a Wii for the first time today. Rocked some Excite Truck. It was okay, but I'll definitely be waiting for WarioWare.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Resistance adds more to the genre than just about any other shooter of 2006 due to an arsenal that is certainly uniquely creative to the genre at this point. It does a bunch of different stuff, throws it into an FPS highlight reel with great production values all around. Though technically I don't have a problem with reviewers criticizing it for doing nothing new (although as mentioned above, I'd contest that notion in the first place), somehow I doubt this line of criticism will be applied across the board. I guess we'll see when the next big time shooter comes out that sacrifices fundamental originality in favor of delivering a highly polished FPS based on existing standards.

I agree and thats why Resistence scored better than any other FPS. :)

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Certainly not! It's just a terrible videogame, and I don't like things which are terrible!

You sure seem to slobber over Metroid Prime enough.

And Jak II. Seriously man, what is wrong with you

Top Bottom