• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan Nintendo Power thread (TMNT Wii Game from Smash and ex-Team Ninja devs)

iby.h said:
POP = if you like the original side-scroller you will like this one. on controls they say "Moving the Prince around with the stylus is so intuitive that it almost feels too simple sometimes". on Graphics " ...fairly simple, and the big-headed character artwork seems a little cartoony compare to the overall tone of the series"

Tony hawk - basically the tilt motion is too sluggish and unresponsive, they like the idea and wish activision would continue but with a much better effort next time.
Completely unsurprising Sucks about Tony Hawk, but Prince of Persia sounds like they took the classic PoP and applied the logic of the new one to it. That sounds like it could be really cool! Thanks for posting that! :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ninja Turtle fighting game sounds nice - sadly I expect it not to live up to the decency of Tournament Fighters SNES.

They should take a leaf out of Street Fighter 4's book and make it as carefully tailored to the old and the new like that. Also while I'm sure this is going to be based on a multitude of characters in the new series (or variants of characters I've absolutely no idea about) I hope they find it in their hearts to mix both old and new characters/styles together - gimme Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, comic-book Slash, Wingnut and Screwloose and Mondo Gecko along with whoever they have in the new cartoons. Oh, and Triceraton too.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Hero of Legend said:
Thanks a bunch!

What is RB2 again?

And is that all of what was said of Black Knight? Were there new screens? Specifically of
Shadow and Blaze
, as well of these fighting styles?

The above spoiler (the only story thing in the above paragraph) is just of the bosses, but they're nothing surprising, one is of whom we already knew was going to be in the game.

dont really know if the pics are new or not, but there is a pic of
knuckles with armor, no blaze though :(
there was a little more information on the control scheme, nunchuk to move sonic, A to Jump and flick of the wiimote to attack, and Z to block, not sure if this if this was known or not. there also seems to be a multiplayer mode (Battle and Survivor Mode) and "There are Solo Missions designed specifically for ranked online challenges"

Dont know if this was known or not but DQ V in FEB and YS 1 and 2 as well.

NEXT MONTH - An RPG explosion draws near! We'll go in depth with all the role-playing epics coming to Wii and DS, Including Dragon Quest V, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and a few surprises.
I know we cant post pics from the magazine, but are we allowed to post the NEXT MONTH page? there might be a clue in the pic, that someone might catch.

MarkusRJR

iby.h said:
POP The fallen King DS = 7
I was too impatient to wait for the reviews so bought this on day one. :p

Some impressions (keep in mind I'm only 3-4 hours into the game):
-Good graphics for DS. Nothing mindblowing. The only problem is that it has constant framerate drops.
-Wonky controls at times. (for example, sometimes if you do a jump it won't respond)
-Slow paced. (it's a plus or minus depending on your preference)
-Simple controls. Move the cursor around to control the prince's movement and tap to do everything else. Oh, and you control Magus (your companion) by holding a button...
[wait for it]
... and tapping.
-Combat is simple. Maybe a little too simple at times. Tap and hold on the prince to block, tap enemies to do a light slash, and draw a line over enemies to do a strong slash. You can also use Magus in combat but it's not really that important.
-Bosses are pretty fun.
-The demo is horrible. Do not judge the game off of the demo.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

EDIT: Oh, and here's IGN's review on it:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/937/937340p1.html

7.0 Presentation
Basic storyline told through simple static art backdrops and text overlays. Intuitive overworld. Don't much care for the character design, though.
7.5 Graphics
We kind of want to punch this version of Prince in the face. 2D-style polygonal levels look great and are extremely varied in design. Some framerate dips.
7.0 Sound
No voice work is disappointing, but the ambient music adequately suits the mix of environments in the game.
5.5 Gameplay
With an option to play with the D-Pad, the game might've scored a whole lot higher. Stylus play is passable -- you might even have some fun. Bu ultimately, it feels like a step backward.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
A great selection of levels to explore, but the core control issues will probably deter you from completing the quest. And you certainly won't come back for more.
Passable OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

phalestine

aka iby.h
turk128 said:
Maybe it'll be like Power Stone.

by the looks of the pics its 2d. looks a whole lot like SSBB just with TMNT and different environments of course. I think it might be good, my only concern is that they are trying to release it in SEPT of 09 (25th anniversity of TMNT) so that might not give them time to polish it. they began development in oct 07, and on a real system on Jan 08, so lets hope thats enough time.

Caj814

I just hope it's at least half as fun as TMNT Tournament Fighters which is still one of the best TMNT games to this day.

iby.h said:
there was a little more information on the control scheme, nunchuk to move sonic, A to Jump and flick of the wiimote to attack, and Z to block, not sure if this if this was known or not. there also seems to be a multiplayer mode (Battle and Survivor Mode) and "There are Solo Missions designed specifically for ranked online challenges"

NEXT MONTH - An RPG explosion draws near! We'll go in depth with all the role-playing epics coming to Wii and DS, Including Dragon Quest V, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and a few surprises.
I know we cant post pics from the magazine, but are we allowed to post the NEXT MONTH page? there might be a clue in the pic, that someone might catch.

AH HA!!!

You did miss some good info!

The Online missions are new, and very interesting!

And it seems that the multiplayer isn't just another mini-game fest, VERY GOOD! :D

Very good to know! Thanks a lot again! :D

Edit: Yes, teaser pages are allowed IIRC.

PM duckroll as he's a mod and was the one who announced the no-scan-rule if I recall as well.

Ydahs

iby.h said:

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to post a NEXT MONTH page, but you might want to wait for a confirmation.

A few RPG surprises? Could they have known about DQX Wii? Or maybe they're referring to the next Tales Wii? Can't wait to hear what they have to say about ARF!

Edit: I also think you should start a new thread, as more will see the news.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Consider me hyped! A Brawl-like game with Ninja Turtles sounds amazing!

Ydahs said:
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to post a NEXT MONTH page, but you might want to wait for a confirmation.

Yeah you're allowed to post the cover and the "next month" page.

phalestine

aka iby.h
k cool, I didnt notice anything but you guys might.
2jcd8uq.jpg

I have to go to my uncles house for some holiday thing, so ill make the thread when I get back, or if someone else wants to do it thats fine as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iby.h said:
Sonic
ima spoiler tag them just incase
Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze are bosses in the game, they are part of a round table, once you beat them they become your friend. Looks like they are playable as well, though this is optional. each environment has about 6 to 9 missions. looks like there is 3 fighting styles to choose from. Cavalier style = speed. Paladin style = Strength or Knight Style = a balance of both. you can get new skills, like in Secret rings. I dont know if this is new or not, I haven't been keeping up with this game.

Oh hell yeah. Giving users a choice to use the sword or not is win.

Did they say how many environments there would be? I'm hoping around 6 to 8 (+ final stage). Also, were there specifics given on how each character's controls differ?

And finally, (sorry to be so needy), and info on the hub towns / civilians and how they're turning out?

Teknoman

Andrex said:
Oh hell yeah. Giving users a choice to use the sword or not is win.

Did they say how many environments there would be? I'm hoping around 6 to 8 (+ final stage). Also, were there specifics given on how each character's controls differ?

And finally, (sorry to be so needy), and info on the hub towns / civilians and how they're turning out?

I think the characters are optional, not the sword.

Also TMNT new game sounds like it could be really nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
I think the characters are optional, not the sword.

Also TMNT new game sounds like it could be really nice.

Look what he said about the different styles of play: Speed, sword attacks, or both.

Andrex said:
Look what he said about the different styles of play: Speed, sword attacks, or both.

I'm sure that's about how he handles different weapons. Some will be light and allow Sonic to run and slice, some will be heavier and will deal much damage to enemies while making Sonic a bit slower than usual.

But Knight could allow Sonic to run as normal, but he'd have to stop to attack enemies I guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
I'm sure that's about how he handles different weapons. Some will be light and allow Sonic to run and slice, some will be heavier and will deal much damage to enemies while making Sonic a bit slower than usual.

But Knight could allow Sonic to run as normal, but he'd have to stop to attack enemies I guess.

Thought they said in the last NP interview that they also want him to be able to attack but keep running. I'll dig it up...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
That's what I meant for the first style.

Ah, well then that's kinda what I was talking about in the first place. Not having it intervene too much.

I could see the sword being fun if they pull it off, but it's always nice to have options/a backup.

icecream

Public Health Threat
So what part of this game is Ex-Team Ninja and what part is Super Smash Bros. Brawl (unless the latter is supposed to only be synonymous with '4P battle royal')?

Teknoman

Nathan Rain said:
TMNT Bralwer = YAY
TMNT Fighter = NAY

Seriously though, didn't they learn with Tournament Fighters?

Garbage.

Its not streetfighter style though. So it could be good. Imagine Jump Superstars or Smash with TMNT characters I guess. EX Team Ninja might make it nicer.

Scrubking

Exec: Hey we got this awesome new idea for a TMNT game. It's going to be just like TIT and it's being made by some guys who worked on great games.

Ubisoft: Oh? That sounds interesting. I'll call Microsoft and get things rolling.

Exec: Wait, it's not for the 360.

Ubisoft: Oh? PS3 then?

Exec: It's a Wii game.

Ubisoft: (laughs) Well at least the Turtles will work. Throw away that other shit. Make it a fighter.

Scrubking said:
Exec: Hey we got this awesome new idea for a TMNT game. It's going to be just like TIT and it's being made by some guys who worked on great games.

Ubisoft: Oh? That sounds interesting. I'll call Microsoft and get things rolling.

Exec: Wait, it's not for the 360.

Ubisoft: Oh? PS3 then?

Exec: It's a Wii game.

Ubisoft: (laughs) Well at least the Turtles will work. Throw away that other shit. Make it a fighter.

lame.

Come on, Switcher, comparing an awesome SNES game to one of Konami's more recent, totally awful TMNT games isn't exactly a fair way to make your point. :\

iby.h said:
Sonic
ima spoiler tag them just incase
Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze are bosses in the game, they are part of a round table, once you beat them they become your friend.

YES.

Looks like they are playable as well, though this is optional. each environment has about 6 to 9 missions. looks like there is 3 fighting styles to choose from. Cavalier style = speed. Paladin style = Strength or Knight Style = a balance of both. you can get new skills, like in Secret rings. I dont know if this is new or not, I haven't been keeping up with this game.
Very interesting!

And the multiplayer mode sounds interesting as well.

The-Switcher said:
Well, Konami made both games, one's a fighter, one's a brawler. One of them is bad, and one if them is good.

That's a-mah point!
Except the brawler came out ten years later and was made by Konami Hawaii, who doesn't know how to make a game that doesn't suck. See for example: every Lost In Blue game.

EDIT: what the fuck, there's Blaze fanboys? Jesus, now I've seen everything.

Aside from Cream the Rabbit fans, and I REALLY don't wanna see that.

Rpgmonkey

iby.h said:

Valkyrie Profile, DQV, ARF, Avalon Code, FE, and Sands of Destruction are my best guesses, maybe Fragile too.

ToH, TalesWii, and DQIX are my other guesses, since the latter two should have gotten some notable publicity by the end of Dec. Barring any other soon-to-be announced games.

What happened with that Winds of Nolstagia game?

Top Bottom